[Drama 2007] The Devil 마왕

Guest angel2nyt

Guest 16candl3s

Interesting plot, really out of the ordinary in Korean drama plus HOT & talented cast!

I cant wait to see JJH again on the tube! He's blessed to work with 2 great actors Shin Minah & UTW.. it will be another challenge for oppa but I know he will do his best..

Fireworks hunnies?? :D

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cellona

Counting down to 20 Feb first....hopefully there are some newsclips on their filming...think that will satisfy our 'hunger' in the meantime before the BIG day 21 March.

Resurrection & MaWang (the Devil) are of the same PD but what about their writers? Are they the same too?

I so can't wait...I think JJH will do a good job in this. I think the PD would not give the role to him if they feel like he can't put on the effort and succeed. It's such a different role for him. This role seems like a good step for him in the industry. At least he gets to do versatile roles. I am happy for him since I am a fan...lol..can't get enough of him..

Guest AlecRuby

It is great that there is UHM FORCE and JJH, but I don't really know about SMA girl. I don't feel like she would look good with either one of them.

It is sad to see that UHM FORCE won't get the girl. But I think he will definitely shine throughout the whole series. Not that JJH isn't good too, but I think for a more experience actor UHM is better. He has the talent to take up any role. I hope that there is a second female lead. Maybe she can end up with UHM. I hate to not see UHM with no one.

Guest incarnadine

Hi ripgal! So nice to see you here as well ^_^

Regarding JJH, I this drama will bring out his depth as an actor, compared to Goong. Do not get me wrong guys 'n gals, He was okay in Goong, and his chemistry with Yoon Eun Hye was amazing, but I think he took this drama for a reason, and that is to explore his acting versatility a bit more.

As for Shin Min Ah, I think she's a great and versatile actress. I don't remember her portraying two similar roles in her whole acting career, and I like the fact that she takes on different characters in her projects. Here, she is playing the role of a librarian with psychometric powers, how different is that? ;) The plot also usually helps in developing the chemistry, and I will definitely give theirs a chance.

Last but not the least, Uhm Tae Woong. I agree with everyone here who said that he never fails to shine and stand out in the roles he plays. When he played the villain in DGCH, he played his character so well that I was absolutely creeped out by the character of Byun Hak Do, and at the same time, felt so bad and lonely for him. He was able to bring out those emotions in me.

Can't wait!!!! :) :) :)

Guest Dahee Fanel

This is an absolute shock for me.

I've been following the news on this drama since the news that Uhm Tae Woong was cast first came out. All the articles back then said UTW is the lead. And there were rumours that Oh Man Seok (one of my all-time favourites, and a great, great actor) would be acting with him. But now Joo Ji Hoon is the lead? Are you sure about this? Is it absolutely confirmed?

I'm sorry, but this is totally and completely unfair. I don't know what the PD and writer are thinking. UTW proved that he was a force to be reckoned with in their previous collaboration, the masterpiece Resurrection. He was the cornerstone of that drama, the lead who kept everything together. And now he's a SECONDARY CHARACTER? To Joo Ji Hoon, who's only been in ONE drama before this, and who has yet to show even a smidgen of the talent that UTW has?

I know UTW chooses characters based on how interesting they are, and not on whether they're the main ones, but I never expected the PD and writer to diss him like this. I sincerely hope he IS the lead, or that he and JJH's characters will both have equal screen time.

It looks like the original story's been changed, too. I must admit I liked the original story better, where the two male leads were the ones who had psychometry. I'm not sure I like the whole revenge idea, coupled with the detective thing again (it's starting to smell a bit too much like Resurrection).

*sigh* Still, I guess I'm looking forward to it. I think Shin Min Ah has a lot of potential, and I love Uhm Tae Woong too much not to watch something with him in it. And I did love Resurrection. And since the PD and writer expect a lot from their actors, Joo Ji Hoon will be forced to work very, very hard. (He'll probably get stressed out...The PD's notorious for swearing at his actors.) Hopefully this will make him improve a lot.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, but this is how I feel. Now I'm off to search for more news on this at Naver...

^^I don't really like to think that the PD and writer "dissed" UTW because I do believe that he has already established himself as an actor that he already has the authority to either choose or not choose a certain role he is offered...and besides, as you have mentioned, UTW was cast first...that tells something, doesn't it? :) his character might seem "secondary" because it's JJH's and SMA's characters who get together but, i'm pretty sure his character will play a crucial role in the story.

i think this is one of the reasons people grow to love UTW more...so cheer up :) :) :)

Guest daisivi

wow. this drama sounds interesting. i'm glad to see minah in a new drama. she's a very underrated actress. it'll be great to see joo ji hoon too

Got this from the Movie News thread..I think this pretty much confirms JJH's in it..

--------

2/2/07 – Joo Ji Hoon (주지훈, 25) and Shin Min Ah (신민아) will costar with Uhm Tae Woong (33) in the Wednesday-Thursday drama “The Devil (마왕, 魔王)” scheduled to be aired by KBS2 on 3/21. Both will play difficult and rarely seen characters.

JJH plays the serial killer Seung Ho (승호) disguised as a lawyer. Seung Ho lost his family and grew up in sad and unfortunate environment. He studied hard and became a lawyer. However, he turns into a serial killer in order to take revenge on some people. SMA plays a person of “Psychometry (사이코메트리)” which is the ability of divining information about people or events associated with an object solely by touching or being near to it. SMA’s previous drama was “A Love to Kill”, and JJH’s latest drama was “Palace”.

ytk5731200702022323580.jpg

http://sports.hankooki.com/lpage/entv/2007...23235658390.htm

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...702021615271110

--------

hmmm...JJH's a serial killer in disguise..it's definitely going to be a challenging role for him. But it's kinda hard to figure out how he's going to end up with SMA :crazy: cos he'd have to go to jail for being a killer.

This series reminds me of an old Jang Dong Gun - Kim Min Jong series Ghost..^_^

This is an absolute shock for me.

I've been following the news on this drama since the news that Uhm Tae Woong was cast first came out. All the articles back then said UTW is the lead. And there were rumours that Oh Man Seok (one of my all-time favourites, and a great, great actor) would be acting with him. But now Joo Ji Hoon is the lead? Are you sure about this? Is it absolutely confirmed?

I'm sorry, but this is totally and completely unfair. I don't know what the PD and writer are thinking. UTW proved that he was a force to be reckoned with in their previous collaboration, the masterpiece Resurrection. He was the cornerstone of that drama, the lead who kept everything together. And now he's a SECONDARY CHARACTER? To Joo Ji Hoon, who's only been in ONE drama before this, and who has yet to show even a smidgen of the talent that UTW has?

I know UTW chooses characters based on how interesting they are, and not on whether they're the main ones, but I never expected the PD and writer to diss him like this. I sincerely hope he IS the lead, or that he and JJH's characters will both have equal screen time.

It looks like the original story's been changed, too. I must admit I liked the original story better, where the two male leads were the ones who had psychometry. I'm not sure I like the whole revenge idea, coupled with the detective thing again (it's starting to smell a bit too much like Resurrection).

*sigh* Still, I guess I'm looking forward to it. I think Shin Min Ah has a lot of potential, and I love Uhm Tae Woong too much not to watch something with him in it. And I did love Resurrection. And since the PD and writer expect a lot from their actors, Joo Ji Hoon will be forced to work very, very hard. (He'll probably get stressed out...The PD's notorious for swearing at his actors.) Hopefully this will make him improve a lot.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, but this is how I feel. Now I'm off to search for more news on this at Naver...

I believe every PD makes a decision based on how well that actor/actress fits the role, and the fact that he didn't choose UTW as lead role is not because he diss him or st like that, it's simply because JJH Oppa fits the role of a bad boy - 'lawyer plus serial killer" better than UTW. If in terms of experience, i have no doubt that JJH is a newbie while UTW has bunch of experience, and judging from everyone's comments, he seems to be really talented too :) I'm happy that JJH has chance to work wif. such experienced actor.

I hope you won't be upset any more wif. these lil things, after all the filming isn't even started yet, so give it a try okie? who knows that you'll love JJH too after this drama? ;)

Guest cheli001

helllooo...

m still in clouds right now... woohoo ji hoon oppa new drama...

and i agree this will be a very challenging role for him... imagine 2 personalities.. 1 as a lawyer and 1 serial killer!!! the serial killer part i think would be more of a challenge for him... and i am glad that he got this project... its time for him to show that he can do more...

utw... is also a very good actor... he can really portray the bad guy really well...

this is one good cast.... and the director is good too...

can't wait for the first shooting day... how we see pics and catch a glimpse of the drama... :w00t:

Though I'm excited to have all three in this drama, the first thing I thought after I read the summary was, 'darn! UTW is second lead?!' Honestly, I like UTW better than JJH, even though I like JJH from Goong as well. What a predicament. Like both, but I feel the same way as lovelil819. He should have been the lead.

thanks ripgal for posting the article here :)

oh, so JJH will play a serial killer....wow....this makes it even more interesting....now i wonder how they would all meet each other, coz a previous article mentioned SMA being a librarian...and UTW's character as well....haha now all i could do is speculate :D

Guest babymarzy07

wow this sounds like an interesting drama... im really liking the cast and yey new JJH drama!!! the whole psychometry thing is really a new concept so im curious how this will all play out. this thread is ssooo fast already 3 pages and it was started i think yesterday. :lol:

Guest Dahee Fanel

^^I don't really like to think that the PD and writer "dissed" UTW because I do believe that he has already established himself as an actor that he already has the authority to either choose or not choose a certain role he is offered...and besides, as you have mentioned, UTW was cast first...that tells something, doesn't it? :) his character might seem "secondary" because it's JJH's and SMA's characters who get together but, i'm pretty sure his character will play a crucial role in the story.

i think this is one of the reasons people grow to love UTW more...so cheer up :) :) :)

*sigh* Thanks. I'm a little calmer now, but I must admit that I was pretty upset when I wrote that post. I guess I'm just sick and tired of UTW being constantly cast as the second lead, and being shunted off to the side, out of the spotlight...He deserves so much more than that...But at the same time, I really admire his willingness to play second leads, as long as they're interesting characters. Now that's a true actor.

I believe every PD makes a decision based on how well that actor/actress fits the role, and the fact that he didn't choose UTW as lead role is not because he diss him or st like that, it's simply because JJH Oppa fits the role of a bad boy - 'lawyer plus serial killer" better than UTW.

But...but UTW has already played characters like that before...and he fit them to a T. I have never seen him act a character badly before. He's always suited every single character he's ever played.

So...why? I just find it a little odd...Especially when looking at the plot and the character description...Why risk it all on a newbie who has yet to really show his potential? Kim Ji Woo and Park Chan Hong (the writer and PD) are not usually known for doing this sort of thing...It makes me suspicious of whether the news that JJH is the lead is, in fact, true. Are they using his star power? Did he somehow show them something that really impressed them? Is this news false after all? I'm so confused...

But thank you for widening my perspective on this. :)

Edit: Just found this article on Naver.

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...702021615271110

It says JJH and UTW will be acting as friends...that something happened between the two of them when they were kids, and now they're like "fighting" or something...

It also says they're both the leads...And none of the Korean articles I read said that JJH's the main main lead...So I'm crossing my fingers.

Edit 2: Wait, I just realized that Olive 9 is producing this...Okay, now it all makes sense. That explains everything.

Archived