Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Hello! :) I'd like to get into home recording, if you would like to help me, pls PM me! I want to learn about condenser microphone recording, and some software etc, but not a complete studio. I'm only sixteen so I can't afford too much, but I really like singing and would like to record covers that have decent quality.

I recommend getting the Samson C01U (or the Audio Technica AT2020 usb if you have a bit more $$$) and downloading Adobe Audition (coughitsnotfreejustsayingcough).

A lot of people here have the Samson and the quality should be enough for your purposes.

Guest hinsaru

For those interested in microphones here are some technical aspects to help you narrow down your choices of mic selection as well as learning on how these mics operate so you get an idea.

In my opinion, I believe Condenser mics are suited well for vocalists, but don't get me wrong... there are a lot of great singers that use Dynamic mics like Michael Jackson.

Now Dynamic mics are often used in Live Performance, Karaoke, and any source that requires a mic with high SPL (Sound Pressure Level). They are often built like a tank and can provide great results as well, but the reason why I wouldn't use it on vocals is because of the limited amount of frequency range and due to it's slow transient response it has a very ruggish grungy texture sound.

I find now a days a lot of condenser mics have high SPL ratings that can definitely be an alternate solution for those who do screaming, or have an extremely loud voice. Now why is condenser mics so popular for vocalist?

a ) they cover a wide wide wide wide band of frequencies, meaning the tone of your voice will simply be clear and brought out in the mix.

b ) They have a faster transient response since they are electric-capacitor so they provide a sharp and "faster" sound.

c ) they look sexier

I find the right choice of mics will simply reduce the time by muchos of doing any editing or corrective signal processing (EQ, Compression, all that funky stuff) as well.

Now since we covered about that, let's talk about the mics itself.

1. From many starting / beginning home recorders I've talked and suggested to, they always get the idea of "sounding better" on a better mic. A better mic won't necessarily make you sound like your favorite artist, but it will definitely improve the quality on your overall recording. If you think your recordings make you sound very nasally, chances are your singing is nasally no matter what mic you are singing into.

2. Different mics has a different frequency response, meaning that different mics shape / color or brings out different freqs of your voice. I can't stress enough how people just buy a mic because everyone else uses it and they automatically think in their head they will sound good on it. It's a common mistake that every engineer makes in Korea, but it's probably the Producer's fault for choosing the same mic over and over again for every artist. Your voice has a special character / tone and is an important factor when deciding what microphone you want to purchase.

3. Very similar to #2, but the mic you use or been suggested to, should be treated like an opinion~!!! Once again, just because people all over TV uses it doesn't mean the mic will sound great on you. In an actual studio session, us Recording Engineers spend a lot of time figuring and discussing mic choices for our source and artists.

4. They are sensitive, but not to the point you can hear your dog breathe from outside in your backyard. I've heard ridiculous comments about condenser mics how they pick up sound miles away. Unless you live with everyone in one room and noone is yelling around you, your recording should be good enough. In my opinion, I would rather be more concerned of treating the room.

**(Just Added) 5. Just because a mic is more expensive doesn't mean it's better. This is also a very common misconception when choosing a mic. When people have a budget, say $500, they would automatically shop for mics around that price range. Unless you know for sure your research does prove to be a great choice for you, do not assume cause there are extremely horrible mics that are way too expensive. The mics that are in the higher range are expensive because they use different materials and sources to operate like tube mics.

USB Condenser Mics

A lot of Soompiers have been switching to USB condenser mics which is an extremely huge and satisfying upgrade from their previous microphone. Before I got into professional recording, I myself have used USB condenser mics and eventually developed loveee for microphones. But because people buy USB mics like they are toys now-a-days, it's better you get an idea of what goes inside so you know if it is the right purchase or not.

USB condenser mics are capacitor mics as well but they have a special way to electrically charge it's capacitors. In condenser mics, you need an extra boost of this "power" and it is labeled as 48v+ or "Phantom Power", USB mics on the other hand do not require which can be very very convenient for many home recording artists. Also, because microphones recording signals ACOUSTICALLY or ANALOG, they will need to be converted to DIGITAL in order for the computer to properly record your signal. A simple way to put this complex procedure, computers are made up of 1s and 0s and they read actions, programs, and anything what you do on your computer this way. Since your signal comes in through analog, they arn't made up of 1s and 0s so they need to be converted to a source that your computer can read. Therefore, the A/D converter was born. Now-a-days simple audio interfaces can be purchased to provide that A/D conversion, but now they have found a way to minimize and put it in the USB condenser mic itself. That means your USB condenser mics have a built in ANALOG / DIGITAL Audio converter.

Now a lot of USB Condenser Mics are advertised as "Podcaster" microphones. They are NOT SPECIFICALLY MEANT FOR PODCASTERS!!!! The reason why they are advertised this way, is because due to their size, budget, portability and ease of use, it is a simple solution for any person interested in home recording to get started. However, there are mics where their frequency responses brings out a lot more of the sibilance as well as vocal presence which in my opinion sound very ugly and disgusting in recording music.

The Samson C01U has become a popular choice for many soompiers due to it's generic and flat freq. response. Once again it doesn't mean it will be great for you, but there are many other selections available.

One of my favorites is the AT2020USB, they pick up vocalists with a very smooth tone and has a sharper transient response.

If you could dig a little deep in your pocket the sE 2200USB has outstanding results as an USB mic, but to be honest at that price range you could get yourself a small setup with a wide variety of better regular condenser mics

And for Blue mics especially the Yeti and the Snowball, I would stay away since they sound horrible for recording music in my opinion.

Any questions please feel free to private message me or post anything on this thread. I'll be more than happy to help you out :)

Guest starzXshinee

Not bad ! I think you could make it to the second round if you try out for YG d(^_^)b

But I dunno if you can make it as a trainee because they are picky and truthfully, you are not OMG THAT WAS AMAZINGLY good . But you can prove me wrong on that !

Aww, you think so ? Thanks ! (: <3

Guest krayziecutie93

Not bad ! I think you could make it to the second round if you try out for YG d(^_^)b

But I dunno if you can make it as a trainee because they are picky and truthfully, you are not OMG THAT WAS AMAZINGLY good . But you can prove me wrong on that !

Aww, you think so ? Thanks ! (: <3

really

i know but if u watched bigbangs documentary

they werent realy great at first

they practiced nd trained really hard

nd yea i know

kus in the documentary yg ceo was kinda scary lol

haha i hope i can try

i get sick easily nd stupid allergies make my nose congested so i always sound bad

nd yea ur pretty

im fat XD

Guest starzXshinee

YOU ARE NOT FAT ! O:<

And really ? I gotta watch it !

You should not strain your voice when you are sick ! Just rest a few days and then start practicing ! (:

Guest krayziecutie93

YOU ARE NOT FAT ! O:<

And really ? I gotta watch it !

You should not strain your voice when you are sick ! Just rest a few days and then start practicing ! (:

i know

im on a break right now

im not goin to sing for a week

nd subscribe or add me on utube XD

Guest Launchbackwards

For those interested in microphones here are some technical aspects to help you narrow down your choices of mic selection as well as learning on how these mics operate so you get an idea.

In my opinion, I believe Condenser mics are suited well for vocalists, but don't get me wrong... there are a lot of great singers that use Dynamic mics like Michael Jackson.

Now Dynamic mics are often used in Live Performance, Karaoke, and any source that requires a mic with high SPL (Sound Pressure Level). They are often built like a tank and can provide great results as well, but the reason why I wouldn't use it on vocals is because of the limited amount of frequency range and due to it's slow transient response it has a very ruggish grungy texture sound.

I find now a days a lot of condenser mics have high SPL ratings that can definitely be an alternate solution for those who do screaming, or have an extremely loud voice. Now why is condenser mics so popular for vocalist?

a ) they cover a wide wide wide wide band of frequencies, meaning the tone of your voice will simply be clear and brought out in the mix.

b ) They have a faster transient response since they are electric-capacitor so they provide a sharp and "faster" sound.

c ) they look sexier

I find the right choice of mics will simply reduce the time by muchos of doing any editing or corrective signal processing (EQ, Compression, all that funky stuff) as well.

Now since we covered about that, let's talk about the mics itself.

1. From many starting / beginning home recorders I've talked and suggested to, they always get the idea of "sounding better" on a better mic. A better mic won't necessarily make you sound like your favorite artist, but it will definitely improve the quality on your overall recording. If you think your recordings make you sound very nasally, chances are your singing is nasally no matter what mic you are singing into.

2. Different mics has a different frequency response, meaning that different mics shape / color or brings out different freqs of your voice. I can't stress enough how people just buy a mic because everyone else uses it and they automatically think in their head they will sound good on it. It's a common mistake that every engineer makes in Korea, but it's probably the Producer's fault for choosing the same mic over and over again for every artist. Your voice has a special character / tone and is an important factor when deciding what microphone you want to purchase.

3. Very similar to #2, but the mic you use or been suggested to, should be treated like an opinion~!!! Once again, just because people all over TV uses it doesn't mean the mic will sound great on you. In an actual studio session, us Recording Engineers spend a lot of time figuring and discussing mic choices for our source and artists.

4. They are sensitive, but not to the point you can hear your dog breathe from outside in your backyard. I've heard ridiculous comments about condenser mics how they pick up sound miles away. Unless you live with everyone in one room and noone is yelling around you, your recording should be good enough. In my opinion, I would rather be more concerned of treating the room.

**(Just Added) 5. Just because a mic is more expensive doesn't mean it's better. This is also a very common misconception when choosing a mic. When people have a budget, say $500, they would automatically shop for mics around that price range. Unless you know for sure your research does prove to be a great choice for you, do not assume cause there are extremely horrible mics that are way too expensive. The mics that are in the higher range are expensive because they use different materials and sources to operate like tube mics.

USB Condenser Mics

A lot of Soompiers have been switching to USB condenser mics which is an extremely huge and satisfying upgrade from their previous microphone. Before I got into professional recording, I myself have used USB condenser mics and eventually developed loveee for microphones. But because people buy USB mics like they are toys now-a-days, it's better you get an idea of what goes inside so you know if it is the right purchase or not.

USB condenser mics are capacitor mics as well but they have a special way to electrically charge it's capacitors. In condenser mics, you need an extra boost of this "power" and it is labeled as 48v+ or "Phantom Power", USB mics on the other hand do not require which can be very very convenient for many home recording artists. Also, because microphones recording signals ACOUSTICALLY or ANALOG, they will need to be converted to DIGITAL in order for the computer to properly record your signal. A simple way to put this complex procedure, computers are made up of 1s and 0s and they read actions, programs, and anything what you do on your computer this way. Since your signal comes in through analog, they arn't made up of 1s and 0s so they need to be converted to a source that your computer can read. Therefore, the A/D converter was born. Now-a-days simple audio interfaces can be purchased to provide that A/D conversion, but now they have found a way to minimize and put it in the USB condenser mic itself. That means your USB condenser mics have a built in ANALOG / DIGITAL Audio converter.

Now a lot of USB Condenser Mics are advertised as "Podcaster" microphones. They are NOT SPECIFICALLY MEANT FOR PODCASTERS!!!! The reason why they are advertised this way, is because due to their size, budget, portability and ease of use, it is a simple solution for any person interested in home recording to get started. However, there are mics where their frequency responses brings out a lot more of the sibilance as well as vocal presence which in my opinion sound very ugly and disgusting in recording music.

The Samson C01U has become a popular choice for many soompiers due to it's generic and flat freq. response. Once again it doesn't mean it will be great for you, but there are many other selections available.

One of my favorites is the AT2020USB, they pick up vocalists with a very smooth tone and has a sharper transient response.

If you could dig a little deep in your pocket the sE 2200USB has outstanding results as an USB mic, but to be honest at that price range you could get yourself a small setup with a wide variety of better regular condenser mics

And for Blue mics especially the Yeti and the Snowball, I would stay away since they sound horrible for recording music in my opinion.

Any questions please feel free to private message me or post anything on this thread. I'll be more than happy to help you out :)

Hobyn, you should just compile all your previous posts and make a sticky. This thread is becoming saturated with repeated questions. Waste of bandwidth.

Guest ohdangchang

i have the Audio-Technica AT2020 USB condensor microphone

and whenever i sign into it. it doesnt sound loud/powerful for some reason.

i can sing loud and with a full voice but whenever i record with it. it doesnt come out as powerful & strong as it should..

and yes i sing in a reasonable distance. ive tried all kinds of distances :P

Guest Launchbackwards

i have the Audio-Technica AT2020 USB condensor microphone

and whenever i sign into it. it doesnt sound loud/powerful for some reason.

i can sing loud and with a full voice but whenever i record with it. it doesnt come out as powerful & strong as it should..

and yes i sing in a reasonable distance. ive tried all kinds of distances :P

I sing no more than 8 inches from my at2020, even when i belt. you need to use compression to increase presence.

Guest something-like

So uh....kinda new to mixing and don't quite know how to..

I have Audacity 1.3 Beta and yea if someone could help me out , greatly appreciated

thanks ! =/

Guest krayziecutie93

So uh....kinda new to mixing and don't quite know how to..

I have Audacity 1.3 Beta and yea if someone could help me out , greatly appreciated

thanks ! =/

aha i have that too

its still confusing to me

but its kinda decent

look up tutorials

lol

Guest hinsaru

ohdangchang: Send me a demo of your recordings with the take you are talking about you. Make sure you sing 6-8 in from the mic. Also you should be singing at the mic not away, AT2020USB and most USB Condensers are in Cardioid Polar Pattern.. which means the focus of where the mic records is in the front, it usually rejects noises from the side and the back. You can google "Cardioid Polar Pattern" to find a diagram to see how it generally looks like.

Launchbackwards: Compression doesn't increase the presence of the vox, you can achieve that with EQ and Filters instead. Compression will keep your dynamics or amplitude of your recordings consistent so you don't hear a loud volume spike between words or transitions (like verse to chorus, very common in Ballads).

something-like: A generic mixing signal chain consists of these following processors on the channel strip: EQ, Compressor, Reverb and sometimes Delay. But try your best to play around with them, that's what mixing is to screw around till you get the right sound. Also this is a very GENERIC chain, it doesn't necessary that all engineers use this sort of chain to make their mixes. There are some cases like me where I don't even need EQ cause I like the recording of my takes.

krayziecutie93: Tutorials in mixing in my opinion are a very bad way to achieve the mix you want. People on youtube usually don't know what they are doing technically, but they were able to get the sound that they want because they were able to play around with settings.

If you plan on using those tutorials as a guideline be my guest, but keep in mind there are no "Presets" or "Right way" of mixing vox or anything in many cases and each individual track requires a certain kind of enhancement or corrective processing to it. It all depends the way you visualize your final product to sound.

My 3rd Mixing Class will be available to anyone who are interested in learning more about home recording, getting good takes, being able to setup a mix, as well as knowing how to use the dynamic and effects processor for your mix around June 26th. I will post it on soompi forums later on, but these are specifically for people who are interested in learning and starting these kind of things :).

Guest krayziecutie93

ohdangchang: Send me a demo of your recordings with the take you are talking about you. Make sure you sing 6-8 in from the mic. Also you should be singing at the mic not away, AT2020USB and most USB Condensers are in Cardioid Polar Pattern.. which means the focus of where the mic records is in the front, it usually rejects noises from the side and the back. You can google "Cardioid Polar Pattern" to find a diagram to see how it generally looks like.

Launchbackwards: Compression doesn't increase the presence of the vox, you can achieve that with EQ and Filters instead. Compression will keep your dynamics or amplitude of your recordings consistent so you don't hear a loud volume spike between words or transitions (like verse to chorus, very common in Ballads).

something-like: A generic mixing signal chain consists of these following processors on the channel strip: EQ, Compressor, Reverb and sometimes Delay. But try your best to play around with them, that's what mixing is to screw around till you get the right sound. Also this is a very GENERIC chain, it doesn't necessary that all engineers use this sort of chain to make their mixes. There are some cases like me where I don't even need EQ cause I like the recording of my takes.

krayziecutie93: Tutorials in mixing in my opinion are a very bad way to achieve the mix you want. People on youtube usually don't know what they are doing technically, but they were able to get the sound that they want because they were able to play around with settings.

If you plan on using those tutorials as a guideline be my guest, but keep in mind there are no "Presets" or "Right way" of mixing vox or anything in many cases and each individual track requires a certain kind of enhancement or corrective processing to it. It all depends the way you visualize your final product to sound.

My 3rd Mixing Class will be available to anyone who are interested in learning more about home recording, getting good takes, being able to setup a mix, as well as knowing how to use the dynamic and effects processor for your mix around June 26th. I will post it on soompi forums later on, but these are specifically for people who are interested in learning and starting these kind of things :).

is there another program that is free that is way better than audacity

im starting to hate this program

Guest hinsaru

krayziecutie93: If you have a mac, probably one of the best free program out there would be Garageband. But this is only if you have any mac product, there are no windows version for it. If you have Windows and some amount of money, you could try getting Acoustica Mixcraft which is very similar to Garageband. Other than that, Audacity is your best bet for multi-track editing and recording.

A lot of people on soompi use Adobe Audition, I myself use Pro-Tools for my editing, mixing, and recording as well as Logic Pro and Reason for track programming and writing my music. It all depends on what program you are comfortable with, cause I can't stand FL Studio or Cubase.

Guest Autumn_fairytales

Hi, how do i know if i am using my diaphram to sing? Is there any exercises to train yourself to use diaphram for singing?

Thanks