Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest auphoria

hey guys, this question may have already been asked, but i'm not prepared to sift through 121 pages ....

so, i play piano and when i sing whilst playing, u can barely hear my voice. I don't use a microphone or anything else. it's just me & my piano.

Just wondering, is this normal? (barely hearing my voice) or should i go and invest in a microphone?

are you playing/singing for fun? recording? or live performance?

If it's singing for fun then yes it's normal for the piano to be louder than most parts of the song. You can always play softer on the piano too.

if you're performing or recording then you need to invest in a good microphone.

Guest Heartsyou

err.. I wanted to get the at2020usb for recording and online lessons but i brought wrongly and got the at2020.. I can't get a refund or have it changed.. what can i do with the at2020?

Guest hinsaru

Hey guys, been a huge while but after doing some dirty work for YG, I got some time to help ya'll out ;)

uxmod - If you plan on using headphones just for tracking I would recommend the Sony MDR7506s. But once again this headphone is only meant for tracking and I would not even bother to use it for my mixes. Now one of my personal favorite headphones for all-around basis would be the Beyerdynamic DT770s (80ohms version). I carry these all the time whenever I'm at any kind of session all around the nation. I even bought two since they sound so amazing.

Infact two months ago, I had an engineering gig in NY and the client saw my cans around my neck. Asked me what kind of ugly thing I was wearing and that changed his mind after he got to try it on ;). Plus the pads are extremely soft and comfortable to wear.

Heartsyou - Since you have purchased the AT2020, you will need an audio interface with phantom power in order to use the microphone for recording. My recommendation would be getting the Presonus Firestudio Mobile, but the price is almost triple of what you paid for your microphone. However, there is an alternate option such as purchasing one of those audio interfaces shaped as a pencil. They are cheap and affordable, but I can't tell you how great it's A/D as well as it's preamp since I have no personal experience of using it myself. But hey it works!

Here are couple that I found:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Icicle/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X2u/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicLink/

Oh yeah for those who are planning on getting the AT2020USB, make sure it's got USB at the end ;).

uxmod  - If you plan on using headphones just for tracking I would recommend the Sony MDR7506s.  But once again this headphone is only meant for tracking and I would not even bother to use it for my mixes.  Now one of my personal favorite headphones for all-around basis would be the Beyerdynamic DT770s (80ohms version).  I carry these all the time whenever I'm at any kind of session all around the nation.  I even bought two since they sound so amazing.  

Infact two months ago, I had an engineering gig in NY and the client saw my cans around my neck.  Asked me what kind of ugly thing I was wearing and that changed his mind after he got to try it on ;).  Plus the pads are extremely soft and comfortable to wear.

Thanks a lot, I will check those headphones out.

Guest Heartsyou

Hinsaru - thanks for the reply!! ^^

Hmm.. I already have a vibrato but my vocal coach says it's too fast.. how do I get a slower vibrato? it's very fustrating...

Hinsaru - thanks for the reply!! ^^

Hmm.. I already have a vibrato but my vocal coach says it's too fast.. how do I get a slower vibrato? it's very fustrating...

Do you have a recording of yourself?

you could probably ask your vocal coach for tips too unsure.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ELEVEN_XI

hey guys this maybe soo much but i just want to ask

what kind of recording micropfones should i use?

i have never recorded before and i wanted to

also i could take any mic that is affordable maybe up to $150

• 3 weeks later...

i was wondering if anyone knows a particular microphone or technique that's good for recording both piano and voice at the same time?

because when i try to record it, the piano seems to make a funky buzzing noise.

and if anyone has any thoughts on the Samson Go Mic? i'm thinking of buying it but i don't know if it'll be any good.

Question,

how do you know if you can sing?

I was wondering about it,

because I don't know if I can sing.

And asking my relatives or friends is no use, because they won't tell me truthfully.

Do you know how to figure this out? :)

Thanks in advance :)

i guess you could try and record yourself and judge on it yourself :) 

Guest skycoolzz

ok i got a mic for the comp so what program do i use to record my singing and the song(sound) that is playing on my computer?

i found this to be the problem because some programs will only record the voice from the mic, or just the song thats playing on the computer....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hinsaru

ELEVEN_XI: When it comes to selecting a microphone it always depend on how you sound. Just because the microphone is higher priced necessarily doesn't mean it's a "better quality." Infact microphones are only a part of recording in "good" quality from the preamps, any other signal processors, A/D convertors, your DAW, and etc. Some of my clients actually sound better on microphones that cost only $100 vs mics like the Neumann U47 which is sold around $10,000 used. We need to look at microphones that compliment the characteristics of your voice. (Sorry splintered a little but it's just something I want people to understand).

But to answer your question around $150 there are competitors such as the Samson G-Track, Samson C01U, AT2020. I usually do not like Blue USB microphones, but once again it depends on how the person sounds on it. If you plan on rapping I really suggest on getting the AKG Perception 120USB.

Now there are couple differences between each microphone. As I said before, mic selection should be based on how you sound not based off of others.

Samson G-Track has zero-latency monitoring which allows you to "monitor" or listen to what you're recording real-time. It could be beneficial to some people, but there are clients who have told me in the past to turn it off since it distracts them. People assume that it helps with pitch but sometimes it's best to use your ear instead of whats coming out of the headphone and let the producer do the judging ;). It tends to sound a little bit dull but perfect for baritone and baritenor singers.

Demo: http://www.box.net/shared/lijqk485os

Samson C01U is actually a pretty good mic for the average toned singer. From tenor and up is usually a great mic selection. It doesn't have realtime monitoring, but once again it shouldn't be much of a problem if you have a decent sense of pitch.

Demo:

(The lady singing in the chorus uses the Samson C01U)

Audio Technica AT2020USB has a sense of presence and I would recommend singers who have a lot of presence in their tone. I usually recommend tenor and up as well, usually this mic works well with rappers as well too. This mic doesn't have real-time monitoring as well, but it gets the job nicely done.

Demo: http://www.box.net/shared/14tjlcxn6b

All of those clips were recorded by respective artists, but they were mixed by me so you can get a pretty good overall understanding of each microphone :). There is a new mic from Samson coming out called the Meteor but I'll have to test it out myself personally to see whether or not it's worthy for recording :].

Hope this helps out what you are searching for!

_maisy: If you are planning on recording both the piano and vocals with one microphone you won't get the greatest sound, but the best way to put is using a mic stand and angle it above your piano. Aim the microphone 45 degrees till it matches in line with your mouth. Usually that is good enough to showcase both your piano and vocal skills :). Hope that helps!

skycoolzz: For free, you can download Audacity. If you look to enhance your recording and mixing, I would suggest Adobe Audition for Window users. Eventually for advanced users, Cubase, Nuendo, or Pro Tools are great choice but they require knowledge of audio theory and signal flow. Make sure when you are recording that your mic is selected as the recording input. Sometimes if your soundcard could be selected as your input and that causes your recording to be whatever sound was coming out of your computer during that time.

Hope that helps!

Any questions please feel free to ask :]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sum-chick

i got a question..im stuck between Audio Techinica 2020 the side cardiod n the presonus microphone...which one is better produces a better quality? I'm wanting to buy me a complete set since singing is something i enjoy doing. Thanks :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest punkrocker2829

hello,

so i've literally backtracked a million pages on this thread and after reading some of the posts, I am a little torn between specific mics and such.

So prior to reading these posts, I was really sure that I was gonna get a blue snowball usb condenser mic because it was cheap and from the videos I'm hearing from online, it sounded pretty good to me.

But after reading the million bad reviews from this thread, I'm starting to think it's not such a good mic?

A lot of you have mentioned the samson cu1u and the audio technica at2020 to be the best two or such. I'm honestly not sure at all what I'm getting here. But when I look up videos that have been recorded under the at2020, there is so much reverb and the mic is so loud, it tends to peak at loud sounds.

so is the at2020 more for just recording and mixing? is it not a mic where I can just record with a video without mixing? A lot of the videos with snowball are usually where they are just recording with an audio track in the background without any mixing.

I'm also so confused on the mixing and such... I usually will just record with music playing in the background.. so totally new here.. but how would I approach recording a video and then adding the audio track with the video?

So sorry this post is so long. I was just kinda wondering what would be the best option for a voice like mine? My voice is kinda deep for a female and when I record normally with an instrumental, it comes off almost flat... so i was wondering which mic would be a better option?

here are some sample videos of me.. the sound is quite low... anything would help. thank you =))

this is recorded under a digital cam

Guest angelzcraze

Anyone know of a free-download pitch/key changing program?

I think Audacity does the job. It's free download so just google it. If you need instructions:

1. Open the song/instrumental you want to pitch change with Audacity.

2. click the left side of the track so that it is highlighted blue.

3.Go to Effect>Change Pitch on the top of the window. Then select the pitch u want to change it to.

4. Press preview to preview the first few seconds. (Optional)

5. Press [Ok] to change pitch.

*Changing pitch alters the song so it affects the original quality of the music. If you want to adjust the pitch again, Undo all the previous pitch changes you did so that you start with the original 100% quality. That way you can keep the quality loss to minimal.*

I'm not a pro at this, so i might be wrong at some parts. But this is how i do it. Hopefully it is of help to u^^.

Guest ELEVEN_XI

hey guys

i know this aint a question about recording but what can cure your voice if when you sing, it doesnt go as high as usual and could crack.

i thought bout why and maybe it was screamin soo much.

im freakin out here! i dnt wanna lose my voice, plz help me D":

• 2 weeks later...

What do you recommend people to record with?

I've tried using my cell phone voice recorder and my iPod but it sounds so... sketchy or something - it's unclear and doesn't sound as good: recorded vs live. 

Also for the vibrato, I tend to mimic what the original artists have done but it's sometimes hard or sounds unnatural or it strains my voice.

And another question is: there are some songs that are a little too high for me to see, or it seems very, very, soft and without power. Are there any programs that can drop the pitch a few octaves (majors/minors, kind of similar to Karaoke b & # altering).

Thank you~

• 4 weeks later...
Guest onnetwothreefour

For all the advanced singers out there...You know the whole internal voice thing where you sound better and deeper to yourself than in reality because of the vibration? Well...do you ever overcome that with practice? How do singers know how to sing when you will always hear differently from what other people hear?

edit; isn't it also kind of impossible to tune out the internal voice? I mean how can you have selective hearing when it comes to stuff like that, as soon as you open your mouth your ear picks up whatever right?

Guest Launchbackwards

For all the advanced singers out there...You know the whole internal voice thing where you sound better and deeper to yourself than in reality because of the vibration? Well...do you ever overcome that with practice? How do singers know how to sing when you will always hear differently from what other people hear?

edit; isn't it also kind of impossible to tune out the internal voice? I mean how can you have selective hearing when it comes to stuff like that, as soon as you open your mouth your ear picks up whatever right?

Train your ear to to know when you sound the best. Make sure you are sending your sound outwards. Singing is more based on coordination and feeling anyway, if everything's in tune and you're making a resonant tone and you're on pitch, you'll feel the blend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest onnetwothreefour

Does anyone have any Videos/DVDs/Blurays that they would recommend for singing lessons? I checked amazon and there are alot!