Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest hinsaru

For microphone choices there isn't a "good or bad," you should be looking for ones that SUIT your voice the best.

Samson C01U typically picks up frequency ranges that tend to make you sound very generic like the industry standard U87.

On the other hand I favor Audio Technica microphones for my voice because it tends to really give it a smooth texture.

I don't have any demos for the AT2020, but I do have demos for the AT3035 which is a condenser microphone not a USB condenser. But they both target the same frequency pickup.

You will hear some quality difference though because I use an external preamp for the AT3035.

AT3035: http://www.box.net/shared/f02hof8l29

Samson C01U: http://www.box.net/shared/r5ak1vkzjb

I recommended the AT2020USB to some of the soompi user such as Launchbackward uses that mic and he's satisfied, but once again that's because it fits his voice. It doesn't matter how much the microphone is or how good the quality is, cause the quality depends if it fits your voice or not.

Guest ohdangchang

so if i want to record

i plug it in then what? do i use a program like audacity to record what

im singing through the mic audio?

or is their a pop up window when i plug in the usb that sets it to record and stop

when im using the mic.

and how do you record a video of you singing

but record with a usb mic

and then add audio to it and sync it together?

i dont want to buy any software or programs if i need to..

Guest sikkony

and how do you record a video of you singing

but record with a usb mic

and then add audio to it and sync it together?

i dont want to buy any software or programs if i need to..

I'll let Hinsaru answer the first question, but for the second, yes what you have said is correct. You record the audio seperate, the video seperate. Then combine them together. Certain mixing (called digital audio workstations, DAW) programs will allow you to do this, such as Adobe Audition. I don't know about Audacity etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vivacity.

sorry if someone already posted this. just wanted to share a video for proper breathing

it's from a voice instructor at berklee college, that's where park bom went xDD

does anyone know a good editing program and recording program I could use thats free and compatable with windows? any tips on how to hit higher notes when singing or just singing a whole song in a high pitch? or should i just stick to normal/low pitch songs?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DarkApprentice89

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows how to remove or put to a minimum the original singer's voice? I want to try uploading a song of me singing but I don't want to sing along with the original singer's voice.

Guest silverwrapper

For microphone choices there isn't a "good or bad," you should be looking for ones that SUIT your voice the best.

Samson C01U typically picks up frequency ranges that tend to make you sound very generic like the industry standard U87.

On the other hand I favor Audio Technica microphones for my voice because it tends to really give it a smooth texture.

I don't have any demos for the AT2020, but I do have demos for the AT3035 which is a condenser microphone not a USB condenser. But they both target the same frequency pickup.

You will hear some quality difference though because I use an external preamp for the AT3035.

AT3035: http://www.box.net/shared/f02hof8l29

Samson C01U: http://www.box.net/shared/r5ak1vkzjb

I recommended the AT2020USB to some of the soompi user such as Launchbackward uses that mic and he's satisfied, but once again that's because it fits his voice. It doesn't matter how much the microphone is or how good the quality is, cause the quality depends if it fits your voice or not.

damnnn sexy voice !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest J-Sharpie

Hi, I'm fairly new to the forums. I'm not exactly new to singing. I came here to see if I can learn anything about writing lyrics. This whole time while I was getting taught to sing it was always songs that already exists and I felt I needed to express my own song with my own words. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. I've been to a bunch of sites trying to explain about song writing but it's just information that I feel that something is definitely missing on top of that the sites have no community support.

Anyone know a good site or a page on this site (I tried searching) that can learn to write my own lyrics?

Guest hinsaru

J-Sharpie: Writing lyrics isn't necessarily something you learn, now-a-days it's just words that compliment the melody.

Pure lyric writing comes from whatever lies in your heart / mind ( I know it's cheesy, but there aren't no scientific explanation for this). A lot of people try to write songs with big huge words to try and make it look sophisticated, but that usually ends up telling a very generic type of song.

Probably the most difficult task of writing is, being able to start it. There are some sort of guidelines that can help you get started, usually when you start though a lot of the lyrical procedure will naturally come to you.

1. Song Title (Doesn't have to be first, it can be last)

Song titles generally give you a basic idea that draws the attention of the audience you are presenting this song too. Song titles can help easily identity the type of song you want to express.

2. Genre & Groove

Usually this determines the mood piece of the music. Although your lyrics and melody will stand out, it really compliments the whole composition and production behind it. In other words, when you think it sounds happy,

make sure you write it like it's happy

3. Structure

Make sure you organize the structure. The generic structure that people follow is:

Intro - Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Bridge- Chorus / out

This is not always the case though, some writers like to add in pre-choruses depending on the song. Feel free to experiment nothing is wrong putting a bridge, it's just whatever you feel like is best for you.

Lyrics always sound best when it's presented by no other person but you. I suggest in every song you start to write in, you always set a goal that either tells a story or proves a point. Good luck trying to get started though :), if you have any questions let me know.

silverwrapper: Why thank you~!

DarkApprentice89: You can remove the vox using Audacity TUTORIAL:

Not every song will work though, it all depends on how the engineer mixed the song certain frequencies and instruments such as the drums are usually removed with the vox.

ihubah: Audacity is the only one that is available for free. I honestly have not used it myself, so I wouldn't know for sure the capabilities and how good it is or not. It doesn't hurt to try though.

As to improve on being able to hit higher notes, you will need to do your vocal warmups daily to strengthen your vocal chords. I suggest singing songs in a key that is most comfortable for you. You can transpose music to help you where you stand as well and slowly build up your range.

Guest duntellmi

Hi, I am going to get my first ever condenser microphone soon!! Its the AT2020 USB. Basically, I'm going to get a full length mic stand, shock mount, and pop filter. Out of these three, I will have to choose one part to scrimp on, since my money is limited, hah.

For me, I would guess the pop filter is the item to scrimp on, because the shock mount and the mic stand all sound pretty important, but I just post here to get more comments before I spend the money. Thank you!

Guest Launchbackwards

Hi, I am going to get my first ever condenser microphone soon!! Its the AT2020 USB. Basically, I'm going to get a full length mic stand, shock mount, and pop filter. Out of these three, I will have to choose one part to scrimp on, since my money is limited, hah.

For me, I would guess the pop filter is the item to scrimp on, because the shock mount and the mic stand all sound pretty important, but I just post here to get more comments before I spend the money. Thank you!

You can make one, but the pop filter is pretty important...

I don't have a shock mount, so I don't know what the difference sounds like without one.

Guest duntellmi

^ I'm still planning to buy one, but maybe an average quality one.

Shock mount is like something you rest the mic on, and somehow it absorbs majority of the impact if you drop it, which is why I would say its important. And the mic stand...well, its a mic stand, I wouldn't want it to be too flimsy. So I was thinking I should save on the pop filter...

Guest Launchbackwards

^ I'm still planning to buy one, but maybe an average quality one.

Shock mount is like something you rest the mic on, and somehow it absorbs majority of the impact if you drop it, which is why I would say its important. And the mic stand...well, its a mic stand, I wouldn't want it to be too flimsy. So I was thinking I should save on the pop filter...

Just get the Nady MPF-6. I think protecting your mic from any kind of fluid that happens to be expelled is pretty important. You shouldn't be dropping a condenser unless you are clumsy. It's mainly for minimizing the ambient vibrations and movement from the stand, etc. I'm not sure how much it will improve sound quality with your setup.

I have an AT2020usb too. You should just get what you said you want, and record something. Then I can see if it's worth it to get a shock mount.

Guest hinsaru

The shockmount is used to prevent vibrations interfering with your recordings. As long as you arn't moving around crazy and hitting your mic stand, you don't really need a shockmount.

On the other hand, once you say a P or a B word your mic is gonna get some pops and a huge amount of distortion, which of course will ruin your whole recording.

In my opinion I think the shockmount should be something you spend on when you have leftover money, I'd go for the Mic then the Pop Filter.

Also get the Shure Popper Stopper, it's a $30 product that's used in platinum recording studios everywhere in the world.

Guest duntellmi

^ But I'm really paranoid cos my sister is pretty young and somehow I think that SHE WILL make the whole thing topple. That's a scary thought....

Okay then, pop filter and stand first ^^

Thank for the suggestions!

Guest hinsaru

Shockmounts don't protect microphones by the way, it just isolates it. If your mic goes down down down, then something is bound to break with or without a shockmount.

Guest duntellmi

haha, I guess I just gotta take a risk, then no point thinking about the shock mount since it doesn't do what I thought it will =P

Okay...so now, I decided to consider between Samson C03U and the AT2020, because the Samson is cheaper $33 USD is not a lot, but still noticeable, especially when this can offset the price of the mic stand and the pop filter. The Samson is $50 SGD cheaper(~$33.3 USD) than the AT.Did some research around and it turns out that there was already a comparison between these 2 mics and also the G TRACK(not considering that though). It is said that the AT would be better than the Samson.

What I want to ask is, I understand that the AT is better than the Samson, but is it worth it for me to fork out an extra $33 USD out for it? I can't quite hear the difference, because I'm a real beginner and I've only ever used a $10 USD dynamic mic before.

Yeap, please help me answer my question, thank you very much!