Restaurant Review Thread

Guest papabear

Guest Tranque

Hong Kong Station

Chinatown, NYC. Bayard Street.

Casual

2.50-4.00 per person.

Udon with mushrooms and squid + garlic sauce

I eat at hong kong station a ton actually, I take my dates there :P Basically its a noodle place where you choose the noodle type, the stuff that goes into the noodle stuff ((mushrooms, springrolls, etc)) and its very cheap but very filling.

Vivi's Bubble Tea

Chinatown, NYC. Bayard Street.

Casual

3.00-5.00

Passionfruit Bubble Tea

I always have a bubble tea from Vivis after I go to HKS because they have *the* best bubble tea I have ever had. Very yummy very cute atmosphere and just altogether, "Kickass"

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nicholchau

*California Pizza Kitchen <_<

*website- http://www.cpk.com/

*location- Valley Fair, San Jose?

*what you ate- Avocado Club Egg Rolls (The one in Cheesecake Factory is sooooo much better!!!), Marsala Marinara with Shrimp, Broccoli Sun-dried Tomato Fusilli, Wild Mushroom Pizza with Chicken (3 of them are not very good. Not hot enough.)

*state whether or not you would dine there again and any other information that you feel others should know

I don't think so -_-;

get a discount after doing a survey within 2 days, a lucku-draw thing [if you visit next time]

*$15

*Gelato Classico :w00t:

*241 Castro St, Mountain View, CA 94041

*You have to wait for at least 10 minutes

* white chocolate raspberry- very very good!!!

light banana walnut- very light!

* GREAT! I recomment everyone go and taste the ice-cream :rolleyes:

*$3.5 for small

*FANTASIA COFFEE & TEA 夢咖啡茶坊 :)

*10933 N Wolfe Rd, Cupertino

*Bubble Green Tea- -_________- I'd order bubble red tea next time

*Their bubble tea is tasty.

*$3-$4

*Panera Bread :)

*20807 Stevens Creek Boulevard, Cupertino, CA 95014

*Portobello & Mozzarella (hot panini) - very good ^^!!

*The restaurant is comfortable.

*$8

*富臨門 Fu Lam Mum Chinese Seafood Restaurant :w00t:

*153 Castro Street, Mountain View, CA 94041

*Late dinner set is only $8 (9pm-1am)

*The dish including Tofu is very very GOOD!!!

*I'll definitely visit again

*Chevys Fresh Max Restaurant :D

*2907 El Camino Real, Redwood City, CA 94061

*Grilled Chicken Tacos- GOOD ^^ [the sweet corn tamalito served with the meal is really good.]

*Chevys Flan? I don't really remember the name... The desserts there are really good too!

*You can arrange a surprise Birthday song with the waiters! The birthday boys and girls can get a Maxican 'hat' too =) !!

*around $20/person [but i think most of the girls can share a meal with another girl cause the meal is really big]

*Fusion Korea :w00t:

*$10-$20 for dinner. $8 for lunch. [Their lunch is so CHEAP!]

*20956 Homestead Rd, Cupertino, CA 95014

*Golden California roll is so so so GOOD!!!!!!!!!! Other Korean meals are very good as well!

---- For "Tofu House", I'll choose Korea House on El Camino because it's cheaper and tastes as well.

*Korea House

*2340 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95050

*Manna Tofu House

*1071 S De Anza Blvd, San Jose, CA 95129

*Royal Tofu House

*21271 Stevens Creek Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014

• 2 weeks later...

SAWATDEE 'Thai cuisine'

*www.sawatdee.com

*486 Robert Street

St. Paul, MN 55101

*The place is beautiful and very upscale like with beautiful and very comfortable atmosphere.

*Semi-Formal (my opinion) so really both attire is fine

*$10-$20

*Appetizers

-Sue's Egg Rolls

-Paradise Chicken Wings

-Fried Chicken Wings

Entrees

-Sweet and Sour Pork with Vegetables

-Fried Rice

-Pad Thai

*Happy Hour from 4-6 and from 10-Close. Appetizers are half off during happy hour and there are drinks specials

*Monday thru Thursday: 11:00 am to 10:00 pm

Friday: 11:00 am to 11:00 pm

Saturday: Noon to 11:00 pm

Sunday: Noon to 8:00 pm,

tele: 651.528.7106

*I plan to go back very soon. The dishes were delicious and the atmosphere was just perfect.

Guest pinkcafelatte

Shokudo Japanese Restuarant & Bar

Ala Moana Pacific Center, Ground Floor

1585 Kapiolani Blvd

Honolulu, HI 96814

Food that I had.

Oreo Shake $4.75

Melon Float $4.75

Ishiyaki Beef Sukiyaki Bibimbap $9.95

Seafood Dynamite $9.95

Chicken Karaage with Spicy Tartar Sauce $8.95

Gyoza $7.95

Chocolate Toast $7.95

Baked Banana Flambe $7.95

i loved it all. ^____^ it was so good especially the toast. it'll probably be the biggest toast you have ever seen. [;

i loved the oreo shake too. and the bibimbap. it was goooooooood.

location & atmosphere was all good. i've been there quite a bit. the service is really good too.

I like the idea of this thread, but to facilitate navigation through it, it should be categorized according to region, such as country and state/province, or at least food type.

Guest riceavocado

Cheddar's Casual Cafe

www.cheddars.com/

Located at: 11135 Causeway Blvd Brandon, FL 33511

History: The establishment has been named one of the best dining spots in Brandon, FL, many times in a row.

Dress: Casual dress

Price: $-$$

My friend and I usually drive around town when we are looking for somewhere to eat. I had heard Cheddar's was good from some food magazine I read earlier in the year, so I suggested we stop and eat there. We were slightly alarmed at first because there was a ghetto guy standing outside the place, but he was right next to a sign that said "RATED BEST DINING IN BRANDON", and apparently that has been the case since 2004.

My friend and myself were seated quickly despite how incredibly packed the place was, and we were immediately attended to for our drinks. We also ordered our food, since the girl I was with was pretty much starving. Prices here were incredibly CHEAP. You literally pay the same price you would pay at McDonald's or Burger King for better food.

Their menu also had plenty of options; from fish; to chicken; to burgers; to pasta. The appetizers were also really cheap, which made me eager to have some, but we decided on desert instead. I ordered a Cheeseburger and my friend ordered some chicken with rice and corn.

We started talking and in the most amazing event ever, the FOOD came out ahead of the DRINKS. We were really only sitting there for like 10-15 minutes. I was pretty amazed. I took one bite into my burger and it was delicious, way better than any Big Mac or Whopper. I would still say that the Cheesecake Factory has better burgers, but this is a close runner-up. The fries were also very good, which is surprising, because normally the type of fries that they served me are disgusting or bland at other restaurants.

My friend ate her chicken incredibly fast , and so we moved on to dessert. My friend want to have the Cookie Monster. So we ordered it, and shared even though I was really full. It was delicious and off we went.

I came back with my family a few weeks later because I enjoyed it so much. I tried their croissants, which were very close to the quality that Hops use to have before they went out of business. They were really cheap too.

I then ordered Country Fried Steak with Idaho Mashed Potatoes and Cole Slaw. The Cole Slaw was traditional, not tasting like my favorite which is KFC, but still good nevertheless. The steak was perfectly cooked, the meat tender and the shell country, with delicious country graving poured on both the mashed potatoes and steak.

I also had one of their Pina Coloda's which weren't the best I've had, but it wasn't that bad either. So check this place out!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bebepark

*ATL DELI

*no website

*2000 candler rd decatur ga (sorry i dont know the area code)

*casual fast food place

*$6-9

*philly and wing combo (:

*wings and philly sandwiches

*12am- 9pm

*at first it was a little different but their food is awesome (: its a real small place but their food is really clean tasting. yes i would like to go there again

Guest KaoriHoshiko

*Name: House of Siam

Delray Beach, FL 33444, US

*brief history: Been open for a long time now, I don't even know when it opened but yea..

*appropriate attire that should be worn-Casual or Formal: Where whatever you want =]

*Price range: $4 - $20

*what you ate: Almost everything.. which were great

*the specialties the restaurant offers: Employees in an elegance traditional Thailand wear.

*the business hours, the phone number: Monday through Thursday: 11:30 am - 2:30 p.m, 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm

Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30, 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Sunday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm

Takout is available

(561) 330-9191

*I'd so go there again.. which I probably will.. anyway, because I work there. xD

But the food is GREAT! Unique and the owner is really nice.. *too nice to the customers*

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mintpanda

- Hello Desserts

- http://www.hellodesserts.com/

San Jose, CA 95131

- Attire: casual

- Price range: it depends on what you get. some of the thigns are expensive, and not worth it..

- what i ate: Tiramisu cake, it was okayyy. i ate it when it first opened, they've added alot of new things so they should have already worked out the kinks.

The desserts look great! They put alot of work in their menu and atmosphere, it's good place to hang out before or after a date.

- Specialties: Cakes, icecream, and drinks!

- Hours: Friday and Saturday: noon to 12:30am Sunday to Thursday: noon to 11:00pm

- Tel: 408-453-5566

- i would go here again, the only thing is i don't live near that place. But their menu and pretty desserts were memorable. It's very bright and reminds you of one of those Japanese dessert places on tv.

i rate it a...

3.5/5

- Pictures:

home_dessert_shot.jpghome_waffle_bowl.jpghome_hello_tea.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For Bay Area folks looking for a type of authentic Japanese food, search for the local izakayas:

Izakaya: An izakaya (居酒屋, izakaya?) is a type of Japanese drinking establishment which also serves food to accompany the drinks. The food is usually more substantial than that offered in other types of drinking establishments in Japan such as bars or snack bars.

The name "izakaya" is a compound word consisting of "i " (to remain) and "sakaya" (sake shop), showing that izakaya originate from sake shops which allowed customers to remain on the premises to drink.

Izakaya are sometimes called Akachōchin (red lantern) in daily conversation, because these paper lanterns are traditionally found in front of an izaakaya.

They are popular, casual and relatively cheap places for after-work drinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izakaya

180px-Cyochin2.jpg

From wikipedia

fd_izakaya31_158_cl.jpg

Fried mackerel (left) and rib-eye, mushroom and chicken skewers at Saizo in Sunnyvale. Chronicle photo by Craig Lee

fd_izakaya31_004_cl.jpg

Hamachi-stuffed shiitakes at Nihon Whiskey Lounge in San Francisco. Chronicle photo by Craig Lee

fd_izakaya31_180_cl.jpg

From left: Ume Shiso (chicken breast with plum sauce and shiso), Buta Toma (tomato wrapped in pork) and Yuzu (chicken with yuzu-citrus pepper) at Saizo in Sunnyvale. Chronicle photo by Craig Lee

fd_izakaya31_026_cl.jpg

Hoshi could easily be on a side street in Tokyo, so true to the tradition and appearance of izakaya that the only thing missing is the red lantern. Chronicle photo by Craig Lee

fd_izakaya31_021_cl.jpg

Hoshi could easily be on a side street in Tokyo, so true to the tradition and appearance of izakaya that the only thing missing is the red lantern. Chronicle photo by Craig Lee

More pics:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/artic...4/FDVOSB9E3.DTL

An article about izakayas in the SF Bay Area:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...4/FDVOSB9E3.DTL

Bay Area izakayas

Here's a selection of some of the Bay Area's izakayas.

Gochi Japanese Fusion Tapas. 19980 Homestead Road (at North Blaney Avenue), Cupertino; (408) 725-0542.

Traditional tatami mat decor and a modern menu make this an excellent family friendly find. Ask for a carpaccio if the chef has time and bluefin toro steak (occasional special) if it's available. Potato gratin with fish roe is an interesting East/West creation.

Tip: Call ahead if you want omakase (chef's choice) at a price you choose from $30 and up. You leave your shoes at the door, so wear nice socks.

Hoshi. 246 Saratoga Ave., (in Pruneridge Shopping Center), Santa Clara; (408) 554-7100

Hoshi could easily be on a side street in Tokyo, so true to the tradition and appearance of izakaya that the only thing missing is the red lantern. The menu is written in Kanji on white strips that cover the walls and window. With more than 150 items to choose from, let the chef be your guide with an otsumami omakase of four or six plates. Come thirsty, since there's an extensive selection of sake and shochu.

Tip: The chef is one of a select few licensed to prepare blowfish in the Bay Area when it's in season, usually starting around the end of November.

Izakaya Mai. 212 Second Ave. (near Ellsworth), San Mateo; (650) 347-2511.

This tiny, bright spot is generally packed and rocking, with a miniature train running on tracks above diners' heads and walls plastered with customers' photos. The menu - it's illustrated, which is helpful - is extensive, with sushi, both grilled and fried items, and ramen, along with combination dinners. Ankimo, miso eggplant and pork, and grilled hamachi kama are worth ordering.

Tip: The kitchen stays open until 11:30 p.m., and serves until midnight - a rarity on the mid-Peninsula.

Nami Nami. 240 Castro St. (near Villa Street), Mountain View; (650) 964-6990

Nami Nami, which opened in January, delivers a sophisticated take on the izakaya ideal. Modernist decor with zen influences and soft lighting and music make a great date destination. The kakuni, pork steamed in soy sauce, is a highlight.

Tip: The restaurant will make many dishes in half-order size, a great way to stretch your sampling. Save dessert for gelato across the street.

Nihon Whiskey Lounge. 1779 Folsom St. (at 14th Street), San Francisco; (415) 552-4400.

While a Westernized hip restaurant with a DJ and bar-to-ceiling bottles of Scotch may not be true to the letter of izakaya, this spot is absolutely true to the spirit. There's an impressive list of single malt whiskeys. Try the signature Nihon, a tempura roll of seared wahoo and tuna, and the hamachi-stuffed shiitakes.

Tip: Stretch your dining dollars with half-price appetizer happy hour from 6-7 p.m. Mon.-Sat.

Oyaji. 3123 Clement St. (near 32nd Avenue), San Francisco; (415) 379-3604

The name is Japanese for "dad," and the chef-owner Hideki Makiyama is quite capable of acting like one with his patrons. A classic neighborhood-style izakaya, the restaurant is dominated by a full sushi bar, "because this is the USA," says Hideki. Sea snail in the shell makes an interesting snack. Salty deep-fried skate wing (eihire karaage) is a natural with one of a dozen sakes offered by the glass.

Tip: Don't miss the off-menu hamachi kama (fish collar) a rich, butter soft and delicious treat. Only two per day are available.

Saizo. 592 E. El Camino Real, (at East Remington Drive); Sunnyvale; (408) 733-7423

True to izakaya's long tradition of value, Saizo offers 41 menu items for $3 or less and an extensive menu beyond. This place is skewer city, from yakatoris to deep-fried quail eggs, so build your own tasting menu with a variety of grilled and deep-fried choices. "Fat means flavor" converts shouldn't pass up a few skewers of butabara (pork belly).

Tip: Try one of two sake flights for a fun varietal tasting and pairing experience.

Tanto. 1306 Saratoga Ave. (at Payne), San Jose; (408) 249-6020

A classic spot with an extensive menu, including 45 specials and a variety of shochus and sakes. In true izakaya style, most dishes are appropriate to share; even soups come with a serving spoon and bowls for sharing. Cioppino fans will like the asari ramen (noodle soup with little neck clams). Small sushi bar.

Tip: The tables at this little spot hidden at the end of a strip mall fill up quickly so arrive early or make a reservation

- Ben Narasin

An izakaya menu

In my tour of Bay Area izakayas, I found many traditional favorites. Here's a sampling:

Agedashi tofu. Deep-fried tofu is on virtually every menu, and anything can take tofu's place and often does. I liked Nami Nami's Agedashi Fig.

Ankimo. Steamed monkfish liver, typically served with ponzu sauce and grated daikon - Japanese foie gras lite.

Asari no sakamushi. Sake-steamed clams. A nice twist on steamers; the broth makes the dish.

Buta no kakuni. Steamed or braised pork belly that's unctuous and delicious; I judge an izakaya by how good theirs is.

Chikuzen ni. A dish of chicken and vegetables simmered in soy sauce. Vegetables, typically root, vary with the season.

Ebi shinjyo. Deep-fried shrimp balls. An interesting alternative to the ubiquitous rice ball.

Geso kara age. Squid legs, deep or pan-fried, breaded or not. Chewier and meatier than calamari.

Hamachi kama. Grilled yellowtail "collar."

Kabutoni. Braised fish head. Various heads are offered and are creatively presented.

Kakiage. Mixed, but not standard, tempura. When fresh corn hits the farm stands, shrimp and corn kakiage dumplings hit the specials.

Karaage. Karaage is any deep-fried meat in a salty batter. Eihire (stingray or skate wing) is a pleasant departure from fried chicken.

Mozuku. Sometimes called slimy seaweed and typically served in vinegar sauce. Don't expect your typical sushi-style seaweed salad.

Nitsuke. Fish, typically flat fish such as sand dabs or flounder, broiled with soy sauce, mirin and sugar.

Saba. Mackerel (saba) shows up in many forms, such as salt roasted, and dried and salted. Oily texture and abundant bones can make these dishes a tough sell.

Shiokara. The innards of various sea creatures pickled or otherwise fermented. Not for the faint of palate. Generally a real salt bomb.

Yaki onigiri. Although called rice balls, these are generally thick triangles of pressed rice, stuffed with fillings like umeboshi (pickled plum), bonito flakes, salmon or salmon roe, and then grilled.

- Ben Narasin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 小甜密

Cam Huong Restaurant

Neighborhood: Oakland Chinatown

920 Webster St

(between 10th St & 9th St)

Oakland, CA 94607

(510) 444-8800

Vietnamese cruisine. Cheap (and I mean CHEAP) food. Above average portion. DELICIOUS food.

Okay.... This restaurant consist of only 4 tables. It's mainly a order and go process. However, you'll fall in love with their food instantly.

There's also this small restaurant that's next door. But Cam Huong always steal all the customers from them.

It's a matter of good food, gals and guys.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Susieque7242

Ah now a FRENCH cuisine rating!!

Le Jardin Bistro

http://www.lejardinbistro.com/

25 Cleveland Place

New York,NY

This has been rated as the most romantic restuarant in NYC many times (wink wink bring dates)

*appropriate attire that should be worn-Casual or Formal

Most dishes are $15-35 dollars a pop but worth it if it's French cuisine. The dishes are large!

I usually have:

Onglet Au Poivre Vert 18.00

Hanger Steak with a Green Peppercorn Sauce

or

Coq Au Vin 17.00

Oven Roasted Chicken In A red Wine Sauce

Stars: 5/5

LOVE THIS PLACE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Guest BrittanyKim

Chipotle! ************

chipotle.com

everywhere(:

it makes burritos and burrito bols and tacos etc

attire is casual

5-7 dollars

steak burrito bol with tortilla on the side(:

idk what the specialties are o_O

business hours... in the morning to 10pm!

phone number is unknown look for it on the website

I LOVE CHIPOTLE

YOUTUBE IT! ITS EVERYWHERE

its so good<3

Guest litoaznbbumbl

*Name of Restaurant BJ'S!!!!! IN GLENDALE, CA. *the one right next to the glendale galleria, for all you LA people*

*appropriate attire that should be worn-Casual or Formal Casual

*Price range 10 dollars?

*state whether or not you would dine there again and any other information that you feel others should know HORRIBLE SERVICE. WAITED HALF AN HOUR FOR FOOD AND THE FOOD WAS NOT VERY GOOD. THE WAITRESS TOOK TEN MINUTES TO GIVE ME A PLATE, AND THEN ANOTHER TEN MINUTES TO GET HER ATTENTION BECAUSE THE PLATE WAS DIRTY. I AM WILLING TO BET MONEY THAT SHE SPIT IN MY FOOD. THE PLACE WAS ALSO NOT VERY BUSY, EITHER. All in all, i give it

2/5

Guest Xiaoba1tu

I like the idea of this thread, but to facilitate navigation through it, it should be categorized according to region, such as country and state/province, or at least food type.

The OP either can't be bothered or doesn't want to organize this topic properly so it's easier to find your way around.

This one is updated and organized. *cough*

(Only for one capital city though).

• 1 month later...
Guest cheerydumdum

Cam Huong Restaurant

Neighborhood: Oakland Chinatown

920 Webster St

(between 10th St & 9th St)

Oakland, CA 94607

(510) 444-8800

Vietnamese cruisine. Cheap (and I mean CHEAP) food. Above average portion. DELICIOUS food.

Okay.... This restaurant consist of only 4 tables. It's mainly a order and go process. However, you'll fall in love with their food instantly.

There's also this small restaurant that's next door. But Cam Huong always steal all the customers from them.

It's a matter of good food, gals and guys.

omg. i love their vietnamese sandwiches! yum yum. now i'm craving some. they seem to always have tons of customers. :]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest x3mamegoma

R&C Korean Restaurant

1670 e passroad

Biloxi, Mississippi 39531

(228)432 7666

A Korean restaurant that's been in Biloxi for the past 15 or so years

its a pretty cool place that, its pretty casual

they have lunch specials thats like a entree and drink for like $7 and the dinner prices are about $15 for an entree but they are in pretty hefty proportions :o

ive been there a couple of times and ive eaten the bibim bahp / galbee / jabchae / e-myun soo / bulgogi / yuke jjang / and the kimchi jjigae :D

they are open monday - saturday from 10 - 9

i love the food there its so yummy ^^ its probably the best korean food ive ever had ... if youre ever in town i recommend it if you like korean food or if you wanna try korean food :)

Guest Koala<3

Chipotle! ************

chipotle.com

everywhere(:

it makes burritos and burrito bols and tacos etc

attire is casual

5-7 dollars

steak burrito bol with tortilla on the side(:

idk what the specialties are o_O

business hours... in the morning to 10pm!

phone number is unknown look for it on the website

I LOVE CHIPOTLE

YOUTUBE IT! ITS EVERYWHERE

its so good<3

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SUGGEST THIS!

i love eatting there.

I eat a chicken burrito with black beans, rice, corn salsa, cheese, guacamole which costs extra yummmmmmm

Guest tlydia

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SUGGEST THIS!

i love eatting there.

I eat a chicken burrito with black beans, rice, corn salsa, cheese, guacamole which costs extra yummmmmmm

I heart Chipotle. I had it for dinner last night. Their steak burrito with rice, black bean, sour cream, guacamole, corn salsa, lettuce, cheese, and pico de gallo is yummy! It takes me a while to finish their burrito because it's so huge. But I do get the job done. :lol:

Archived