Kim Nam Gil 김남길 ~ An Actors' Actor ~ Upcoming Films : 'The Guardian' | 'Emergency Declaration'

Admin

9 hours ago, lyserose said:

This is one tough question to answer. I think I prefer Vagabon Bidam. Yes, he was least attractive as Vagabon Bidam but this was when he is happiest, carefree and living his life to the fullest. Once he became a Hwarang, he adopted that responsibility and then he became a royal and turned into this very unhappy and insecure person which make me really sad. So I say, I love love love Vagabon Bidam - cunning, playful, witty, sneaky and street smart.

Yeah seems like a lot of people like the vagabond Bidam better. I too like him during that time, there is just that certain charm in Vagabond Bidam and I honestly thought he was cute. And I love how clever  he was during those times, you can clearly see how dependable he is. As Hwarang Bidam, he is an eye candy but yeah...he started to act according to the rule/norm and when he became a noble, he started to act like the rest of the politicians in the court so I kinda understand what Deokman told him when she said that he should be different from the rest because that is the Bidam she was comfortable with and probably fond of... I honestly thought that they were the OTP back then because of those little sweet scenes that they have, so I was surprised when I found out that wasn't what the writer originally planned.

I honestly wondered what would've happened if Bidam didn't meet Deokman and stayed the way he was. Some people said that it would've been better for Deokman if she chose to left Silla with Yushin instead of choosing the to rule, she would've been happier so I wonder if what would've happened if Bidam didn't meet Deokman, It's just fiction but I couldn't help  but think of those things lol.

As I said before, I have only started joining soompi in 2016 (Thanks to Moon Lovers Scarlet Heart) and by that time, I have (shamefully) forgotten about Kim Nam Gil. He is just so below the radar, so low-key and seldom on the media.

Yeah, I think most newbies in K-drama world wouldn't of known about Kim Nam Gil because he stopped showing up. He make movies every year but he stopped making TV series for years and didn't to show up much. I wonder if he's still as popular in Korea? And not much is known about his private life I am so curious about him.

I like "Shark" better. "Bad Guy" feels like trying too hard. I am not homophobic but I am scared of explicit sex scene. That is why I refrained myself from watching "Portrait of a Beauty". I am a very conservative Asian so I really have problem watching my fave performing sex scene even when I know it's not real. For that reason, I prefer Korean drama actors instead of movie actors because Korean movies tend to feature sex a lot and I just could not take it.

I was really shocked when I saw a clip of his love scenes, especially that one in Portrait of a Beauty, I am not used in seeing those things in Korean actors but after seeing the whole movie I thought it was really good and my view on KNG didn't change haha.

Happy that this thread has gain a bit of attention lately, KNG deserves attention and appreciation, I love his versatility as an actor, actually I usually have a crush on those actors who immerse themselves in their role and give their everything. 

Yeah...although he may not gained much recognition but his acting is really good, he's one of those actors who will charm you just by his acting alone. I hope he will choose good projects again.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wanda77 said:

yanki , in regards with korean actors love scenes and nudity in movies, I suppose you didn't see enough movies. :) In dramas they have legal limitations, restrictions because of time airing, viewers age...

Oh, they are a lot of nudity and explicit love scenes in Korean movies. I was shocked when I first learnt about it. I did not expect Koreans to be so open about sex and nudity. I grew up watching a lot of Hong Kong movies and back then, any HK actors that have appeared naked and performed graphic love scenes would have their careers ended in the drains. Jung Woo Sung, Han Suk Kyu, Kim Go Eun, Jang Hyuk, Jo In Sung and even Song Ji Hyo have performed fair share of nudity and really explicit sex scenes that sadly tarnished my idealism on them. That is why I am happy that my bias like Lee Jun Ki decided to stay in dramas (even when he started off as movie actor) and as for Kim Nam Gil, I will choose not to watch those movies. But I do understand he is a character/method actor, so his choices of doing more movies than dramas is so typical him.

On 8/30/2017 at 7:03 PM, yanki said:

I honestly thought that they were the OTP back then because of those little sweet scenes that they have, so I was surprised when I found out that wasn't what the writer originally planned.

I read that QSD is the drama where he made his breakthrough. Before that he was getting casted only as second leads in some other dramas. In fact, Bidam is the second lead and I believe the writer was not expecting his performance would overshadowed everyone (except Mishil), that viewers loved him so much and therefore he ended up getting more screentimes towards the end. I also read that due to Bidam's popularity, the writers had to rewrite Silla's history to make the Queen professing her love for Bidam instead of Yushin. I say majorly is that he owned that role so much and secondly he had better chemistry with Lee Yo Won than Uhm Tae Woong. Argghhhh.....I can talk about Bidam and QSD on and on, so I have to force myself to stop. LOL.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wanda77 said:

yanki , in regards with korean actors love scenes and nudity in movies, I suppose you didn't see enough movies. :) In dramas they have legal limitations, restrictions because of time airing, viewers age...

Yeah I am not really into Korean Movies and most of what they aired in my country doesn't have any of those scenes... I rarely see them kiss lol, so I am really surprised about those... I thought they were a lot of stricter in that kind of thing compared to western movies.

I read that QSD is the drama where he made his breakthrough. Before that he was getting casted only as second leads in some other dramas. In fact, Bidam is the second lead and I believe the writer was not expecting his performance would overshadowed everyone (except Mishil), that viewers loved him so much and therefore he ended up getting more screentimes towards the end. I also read that due to Bidam's popularity, the writers had to rewrite Silla's history to make the Queen professing her love for Bidam instead of Yushin. I say majorly is that he owned that role so much and secondly he had better chemistry with Lee Yo Won than Uhm Tae Woong. Argghhhh.....I can talk about Bidam and QSD on and on, so I have to force myself to stop. LOL.

Yeah I think that he really did a good job as Bidam - especially during his vagabond days. But even though he came during half of the series and was originally planned as a villain...still I thought that the writers really have plan for that star-cross-lovers theme for both of them, I must admit though that  I wasn't touched with QSD's confession lol compared to those sweet moments they have back before Deokman became a queen. I actually thought it seems so forced so when QSD started to wonder on whether her sudden fondness of Bidam was only because she wanted to control his supporters, it became a bit clearer to me on why does the whole thing seem so forced.

I just want to know opinions though... do you think QSD really did loved Bidam? or was the reason she kept that ring with her was because it was her dream to get married but it never happened so having that ring with her is the closest she could get?

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 4:07 PM, lyserose said:

Oh, they are a lot of nudity and explicit love scenes in Korean movies. I was shocked when I first learnt about it. I did not expect Koreans to be so open about sex and nudity. I grew up watching a lot of Hong Kong movies and back then, any HK actors that have appeared naked and performed graphic love scenes would have their careers ended in the drains. Jung Woo Sung, Han Suk Kyu, Kim Go Eun, Jang Hyuk, Jo In Sung and even Song Ji Hyo have performed fair share of nudity and really explicit sex scenes that sadly tarnished my idealism on them. That is why I am happy that my bias like Lee Jun Ki decided to stay in dramas (even when he started off as movie actor) and as for Kim Nam Gil, I will choose not to watch those movies. But I do understand he is a character/method actor, so his choices of doing more movies than dramas is so typical him.

As I said before, after seeing KNG as Bidam I became addicted in the end with Kdramas and movies. No regrets, of course. In the end i learned about a culture I wasn't known much before. And with this thread yesterday I rewatched his final moments, starting with his encounter with his man on the hill, when he told him to go" molly" (far away)...moved to tears by his acting and loving his look with long hair and sad eyes, wearing black.

• Like 3

To be honest, I was mad as hell when they decided to give him a make over.

But Kim Nam Gil has his own magic. He is so captivating and charming on screen. You can give him a bad haircut and he will still charm you with his brilliant performance. Heo Im is such a layered character. A goofball who masked his inner pain with his court jester's chuckles. Kim Nam Gil is a master at portraying this kind of character and I love every second of Heo Im.

On 8/31/2017 at 9:25 PM, yanki said:

I just want to know opinions though... do you think QSD really did loved Bidam? or was the reason she kept that ring with her was because it was her dream to get married but it never happened so having that ring with her is the closest she could get?

It's a bit hard to get it deeply rooted that QSD really loved Bidam, at least to me not of the same depth with how Bidam loved the Queen. It was because QSD was originally meant to have her true love with Yushin since Uhm Tae Woong was the original lead actor. If it wasn't because KNG as Bidam stole the entire show and eclipsed everyone (except Mishil ofc), the writers originally planned to give him only a small role and meant for his love to be one-sided. The flicker of romance from the Queen's side only started much later and by then, Deokman had morphed into this cold stony woman once she became a Queen, so her feeling was mostly suppressed in contrast with Bidam whom was very expressive. I take her letter to him of wanting to spend whatever little time that she had with him as well as the ring (token of love), her stream of tears when he died before her and asking about Bidam's last words the moment she woke up (after her faint) as the indicator of how much she loved Bidam.

On 9/1/2017 at 11:06 PM, wanda77 said:

And with this thread yesterday I rewatched his final moments, starting with his encounter with his man on the hill, when he told him to go" molly" (far away)...moved to tears by his acting and loving his look with long hair and sad eyes, wearing black.

Oh my.....I have that visual of him as my current desktop screensaver. He looks super sexy with that long flowing tresses, wielding sword and wearing all black.

13 hours ago, yanki said:

KNG look so handsome and young in that scene. Is he getting thinner these days? I did wish for him to lose weight at first but I hope he wouldn't be too thin...this should be enough.

I think he looks like a rockstar here with that headband. I never noticed how tall he is in QSD but in here, he looks so lanky. Must have something to do with his weight. But he looks mighty fine. 

• Like 2

It's a bit hard to get it deeply rooted that QSD really loved Bidam, at least to me not of the same depth with how Bidam loved the Queen. It was because QSD was originally meant to have her true love with Yushin since Uhm Tae Woong was the original lead actor. If it wasn't because KNG as Bidam stole the entire show and eclipsed everyone (except Mishil ofc), the writers originally planned to give him only a small role and meant for his love to be one-sided. The flicker of romance from the Queen's side only started much later and by then, Deokman had morphed into this cold stony woman once she became a Queen, so her feeling was mostly suppressed in contrast with Bidam whom was very expressive. I take her letter to him of wanting to spend whatever little time that she had with him as well as the ring (token of love), her stream of tears when he died before her and asking about Bidam's last words the moment she woke up (after her faint) as the indicator of how much she loved Bidam.

Thanks for the reply. As much I shipped them and as much as I loved their moments back when Deokman was still a princess... I honestly couldn't buy those Bideok moments they had after Deokman became a Queen - especially episode 56 and 57. It seemed so force to me and wasn't that believable(even with their acting) - then later on QSD started to wonder on whether her fondness of Bidam was actually because of her desire to control his followers. I thought it's no wonder it wasn't believable because QSD was just acting that time.

But yeah after re-watching (and I am currently re-watching his scenes again) I guess, along the way, she started to think it wasn't so bad to be with him so maybe she also liked him, however...as long as she is the Queen she cannot love him truly because she will always need to doubt him and will always have a desire to control him.

And yeah...Bidam wasn't supposed to be loved by the Queen and was meant to be the last villain (more evil than Mishil) but with Bidam's character I honestly couldn't imagine how that was going to be,part of me wish that they stayed true to their original plan but it was so hard to see him starting to turned evil so a part of me is also glad that they didn't turn him into someone evil.

Most casts in QSD are all so tall that I also didn't noticed him being so tall in that series. Yeah,,, KNG is one of those actors who will charm you with their acting. They may look like nothing at first then you start to see him as sooo good looking lol

8 hours ago, nikki7 said:

Hello. I am a new fan of KNG thanks to Dr Heo. But is this his first comedic role? Lots of his older dramas seems like melodramas. 

He was funny in QSD and funnier in his movie Pirates.

Thank you very much for those links @LyraYoo

Maybe I will join that fan event - I hope my photo will be chosen haha.

Thanks for sharing!

Ah it seems as if he went into a bit of depression for a while.... that's sad...but I am glad he's okay now. I always wonder how he must've felt all this time after returning from Military Service, I couldn't help but wonder... he worked so hard in that business and just when he finally became popular he had to left and when he returned, everything has change and most people doesn't recognized him anymore.

I remember one of his old interviews where he said that he was really affected by the drama "Shark" because it didn't received much love and became depressed and afraid of acting to the point that he started considering that maybe being an actor is not for him.

He must've been really depressed all this time....and maybe he's also experience midlife crisis since I saw one of his posts where he felt sad during his birthday. I wish that he will get a project that will to different ages.

I didn't know that he had liver problems... I understand about his respiratory problems though because I saw some of his old videos where he was coughing and his cough reminds me of how I cough everything I have an asthma attack lol so I thought maybe his lungs isn't that strong haha.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I happened to stumble across those videos of him when guesting for TvN's talkshow program, Lifebar earlier this year. Could not find the english sub anywhere sadly.

Anyway, when I first came across those "Lifebar" videos, the first thing that came to my mind was "Oh gosh, this guy is sexy." and glad I wasn't the only one who feel the same. In the words of his fellow peers, Kim Nam Gil really is born to be erotic. 

By the way, I like his long fingers and the grin just melt me each and everytime.

Tell me if the drunk Kim Nam Gil is not sexy and alluring?

• Like 7

If not for that sentence by means of Ji An
I might have given up on life.

Is he talking about himself? does he get suicidal thoughts? He also said in his recent interview that he gets depressed and started to have "bad thoughts" but in his other interview he said that he rarely gets lonely so I guess there is a time where he gets so depressed? Does he only get depressed over his character or other things as well? He should really choose lighter projects, if it's about his characters.

He seems to be really friendly though...I've seen him interact with his fans even back in the old days... and unlike some celebrities where they put on a certain vibe despite touching their fans... KNG doesn't seem to care and act as if they are just both equal lol. I saw one fan who got annoyed with his jokes though haha.

He have lots of videos in youtube but most of them doesn't have English Sub... I wish someone will sub them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yanki said:

Is he talking about himself? does he get suicidal thoughts? He also said in his recent interview that he gets depressed and started to have "bad thoughts" but in his other interview he said that he rarely gets lonely so I guess there is a time where he gets so depressed? Does he only get depressed over his character or other things as well? He should really choose lighter projects, if it's about his characters.

He seems to be really friendly though...I've seen him interact with his fans even back in the old days... and unlike some celebrities where they put on a certain vibe despite touching their fans... KNG doesn't seem to care and act as if they are just both equal lol. I saw one fan who got annoyed with his jokes though haha.

He have lots of videos in youtube but most of them doesn't have English Sub... I wish someone will sub them.

I read quite a lot of Korean celebrities suffering depression. I guess this have something to do with their culture where they are expected to be on top of their games all the time. 

Kim Nam Gil gave me the impression of a very sensitive guy and an artistic actor. The kind of actor who have higher tendency choosing project that is more artistic instead of popular. Anyway, we don't know what kind of suffering he went through but I do hope the success of "Live Up To Your Name" will reassure him that he still has a place in so many people's hearts despite the flood of new crops of actors because he is a great actor and brought different set of acting game than the younger actors that we have.

Anyway, I am mostly happy that these senior and earlier generation of Hallyu stars are gaining younger fans lately. We are talking about Kim Nam Gil now, and last year we had Lee Jun Ki and Gong Yoo. I still hope KNG will appear in more dramas otherwise it will be such a painful long wait for us.

• Like 2

I hope so too and I hope he won't take a long break lol. He need to be more active on TV so that a lot of newer fans can get to know him lol... now is also a good time while most of those younger halyu actors are in military service.

I wish he have IG though...

Planned to watch Live Up To Your Name after finishing, but :cry: didn't resist and now i have to wait long days for the rest... So happy that KNG's drama has good ratings and reviews. Personally, I think that the script has minor flaws, but again I'm not quite into fantasy drama and I'm working in cardiac surgery theater, so, is hard to get over those medical moments.

Then again, this year I saw some good dramas, with amazing acting and KNG is one of my forever favorite. 

• Like 1