[Drama July 2024] UMI NO HAJIMARI/THE BEGINNING OF THE SEA 海のはじまり-Ren Meguro; Izutani Rana; Shinobu Otake; Furukawa Kotone;

CarolynH

Trailer for Ep 02

Go Riju plays Shohei Nagumo, Umi's grandfather, first day of filming.

Go Riju was Meme's father in 「Silent」 🙂

Little Sena is a joy to work with in the set 😍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I saw bits and pieces of ep 1 raw haha. i have a question for those that saw ep 1

Spoiler

The scene where Mizuki was asking Natsu to sign a contract.  What kind of contract do you think it was?  He didn't look as though he really wanted to sign it.  I also noticed that she touched her stomach.  Could she have been pregnant at that time or my imagination?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CarolynH said:

So, I saw bits and pieces of ep 1 raw haha. i have a question for those that saw ep 1

Reveal hidden contents

The scene where Mizuki was asking Natsu to sign a contract.  What kind of contract do you think it was?  He didn't look as though he really wanted to sign it.  I also noticed that she touched her stomach.  Could she have been pregnant at that time or my imagination?

I saw the whole ep01 🙂

Spoiler

That wasn't a contract, it was a form giving consent to termination of pregnancy.

The scene for that is actually long, and IMO, it's what they were talking about before handing that form could be the catalyst why Mizuki leaves.

Spoiler

Mizuki drops by Natsu's flat and asks if he started job hunting.  He says he's preparing for it (he was readying his copies of resumé). They were casually talking of Natsu's parents, how he doesn't want to make them worried, and that him getting into a good company would make them (and him) feel safe.

He then remarks offhandedly that he doesn't like troublesome things and if he can live life without waves, that would be fine.

While they're talking her mood has already began to change from cheery to somber. Natsu was talking to her and glancing once in a while as he arranges his things, so he couldn't have seen how her face changed. 

She would then hand him that form. 😔

Later on in another scene, Mizuki goes back to the hospital for the procedure. Natsu was waiting outside for her. 

@rocher22 deception starts from here, she making him think she really did it 😞

About the Ep 01

Spoiler

Prepare tissues for several scenes.

1. That consenting to abortion and signing the form.

This scene is already unique in the sense that the usual trope is that the one who is unexpectedly pregnant is the one crying while making that choice. This time it's the father of the baby crying and getting comforted for having to agree to this choice.

2. Mizuki breaking up with Natsu over the phone when he calls her why she dropped out from uni - he didn't know this either, he only knew because he was told by a schoolmate. She'd also tell him that she found another man, and she likes him more than Natsu.

I'm sure many viewers wanted to murder Mizuki that time 😅

And Natsu, bless him, he called her names too 😅

And would still ask her if she's well. 😔

3. Umi unexpectedly comes to his flat. Given that she's about to be 7,  about to be 1st grade and can already read, and probably knows how to use transport system as many young kids in Japan does, this isn't surprising.

She would show that video of her waking up Mizuki, and talks which season she likes most. Mizuki says she likes summer (natsu) the most. Natsu by this time was desperately hiding his tears. Then Umi asks for his phone to show again that video of Mizuki at the beach. With sounds on, Mizuki was yelling she likes the sea (umi), she loves the sea very much. 😥

Natsu at this point was doing his best not to openly sob.

After watching, Umi would be asking him whether Mizuki as mother "ended". That he is her father, and when will he be her father. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Sosuke (Tsuno) and Sena (Umi) shooting the scene when Tsuno takes Umi to one of the benches outside the hall where Mizuki was lying in state.

Spoiler

Mizuki's child would start drawing and colouring with the art kit she was given. Two benches away, Natsu would be sitting. He approaches her after he sees that Umi felt bad over what a visitor told her.

• Like 3

Producer Ken Murase gives the update that Ep02 is currently being graded, and Ep03 preview is being readied. 🙂 

Ken Murase's updates are gems!

First pic - Umi would have to be an early reader or likes books if she's regularly brought to library by Mizuki or Tsuno after day care. She's also behaved enough to not mind sitting alone quietly with her book.

Second pic - woah, is that Umi's room? So colourful! 

Two million views in TVer for Ep01! 🎊

Meme is thanking viewers in his IG story for the highest record playback in Fuji TV of "The Beginning of the Sea" Ep01.

• Like 3

I was surprised so much was revealed in the 1st episode.  I expected it to drag out a bit.  I guess that the real story is about Natsu and Umi and the people around them.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarolynH said:

I guess that the real story is about Natsu and Umi and the people around them.  

I think so too, especially Umi on Natsu's side of his family and Yayoi, and Natsu's interactions with Mizuki's parents and her friend Tsuno who was also considerably a father figure to the child.

Still thinking that there will be a very heated confrontation between Natsu and Tsuno over Umi or Mizuki. 😅 When it comes to Mizuki, they'd surely describe her differently. Regarding Umi, it would be a clash on who knows better what's best for her.

Just my view, but Mizuki working in a library is her symbolic mellowing down, trying to have a more established routine as she balances work life and taking care of Umi.

I'm quite thankful of Ken Murase's very engaging regular updates too, aside from the drama's official soc meds. 🙂

• Like 2

I watched ep 1 without subs.

Natsu and Umi are one of the highlights for me in this drama.

I like Yayoi too.

Spoiler

I can understand that Natsu was sad when he heard about Mizuko.

But I dont see a single reason why he was so desperate and in shock. He completely ignored Yayoi.

He didnt answer her messages, he didnt even call her.  that was disappointing. 

maybe Im wrong. I watched it without subs. :unsure:

GQ6K5_6bwAMYGmz?format=jpg&name=360x360

GQ6K_hTagAAYADr?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 3

The very reliable and thorough Yayoi Momose (Arimura Kasumi) in action 😊

Filming the beach trip part 2

15 hours ago, rocher22 said:

I watched ep 1 without subs.

Natsu and Umi are one of the highlights for me in this drama.

I like Yayoi too.

Reveal hidden contents

I can understand that Natsu was sad when he heard about Mizuko.

But I dont see a single reason why he was so desperate and in shock. He completely ignored Yayoi.

He didnt answer her messages, he didnt even call her.  that was disappointing. 

maybe Im wrong. I watched it without subs. :unsure:

Spoiler

Two of Natsu's traits are being a person of few words and not being good in expressing himself. He was already in some kind of denial when he learnt of Mizuki's death, then at the funeral he found out that:

1. Mizuki had an almost 7yr old daughter named Umi;

2. Mizuki didn't go ahead with the termination as per Akane, but held on to that consent form for abortion. She also said she will later be in touch with him;

3. The child of Mizuki is the baby he fathered. 

It wasn't deliberate that he wasn't picking up Yayoi's call, rather he was in daze from what he was confronted of, and won't answer whoever is calling. He was hurting too from not knowing anything, and as what he told Yayoi, it wasn't just about being unaware, but that he wasn't able to do anything for Mizuki and Umi.

Ep01 didn't give Mizuki's reasons yet for deciding to deceive and gaslight Natsu. It can't be just that she felt slighted with an innocent remark of Natsu who wasn't even talking about them two, but of his parents whom he didn't want to worry of him. 

Can't wait for the next ep... 😌

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Meme and Sena, of Natsu's filled up shelf

Giant bottle of glue 😂

More support cast

Kyoka (Shibata) as Yayoi's junior Mitani Ayako at the same cosmetic company 

She's Nana's colleague in 「silent」🙂

Ayumu Nakajima as Natsu' senior colleague Hiroto Fujii at Ibata Printing 

Spoiler

Librarian Mishima Meiko, played by Yamada Maho 

Kasumi Yamaya as Umi's homeroom teacher Nogi Natsumi 

She's also in 「silent」as Nana's colleague in Ep10

• Like 2

Press release for Ep 02

Kawasaki Koki of Shounen Ninjas play Maeda Toshiki, a librarian colleague of Tsuno, who also knew Mizuki when she was still alive

Producer Ken Murase conveys his gratitude with the amount of views for Ep 01. He says that Ep 02 will offer new perspectives 

I hope more of Mizuki, to know her exact reasons over what she did and decided years ago.

• Like 2

I had a call from another time zone, and afterwards I couldn't sleep immediately, thus I went ahead and watched the 2nd ep. 🙂

Spoiler

Ep02 immediately starts with Mizuki and Umi. Despite the deception and gaslighting of Natsu, Mizuki was truthful to their child.

Spoiler

Mizuki told Umi that she has a father, and who is her father. She even says they're quite alike with the hmm? mannerism of answering. 

Yayoi => she's the nicest. Really. Very poised, very rational, and Sena was so comfortable with her on their first meeting.

Spoiler

She too, in another relationship, made that choice with her previous partner, and unlike Mizuki, went ahead with it.

I was initially worried it was with Natsu. Because if it was him, oh my gosh, I'd be looking hard why both girlfriends he had would ask his consent to terminate.

Natsu has a very good relationship with his parents and brother (except their blood, they're true siblings in every sense). Kazuya and Yukiko have concerns that Natsu isn't as expressive as Yamato, as they knew something is eating up their eldest but are respectful enough not to pressure him to talk. Yamato has no such reservations though, and he's expressed his support of Natsu by visiting him in his flat to make sure his elder brother is alright.

Spoiler

Natsu and Yayoi dines in her flat, and he opens up more on his previous relationship.

He told Yayoi that he knew, as Mizuki told him she's pregnant, but that he didn't know she would give birth.

He further explains that even if he signed that form, it was  not because he was willing, but that Mizuki was adamant of it being the correct choice. Shortly after the supposed abortion, he would then be dumped by her, hence he didn't know that she did not terminate the pregnancy. Nonetheless, he still feels guilt as if he consented to Umi "being killed", because even if he did not want to, he still did sign the form after all.

All this time, Yayoi was so understanding and calm. She was comfort personified. So when she went to the loo to cry... 😯 

And further along, 😳😳😳

The more I see Tsuno, the more I'm convinced that there will be a confrontation between him and Natsu.

Oh, both men seem to be very mild, but I've no doubts they can spew venom when push comes to shove.

It's also very refreshing that the grandparents of Umi are letting their grandchild make the choice of whether Natsu becomes a permanent part of her life, and theirs as well. The circumstances aren't ideal, but the parents of Mizuki know their daughter too well that they can't really blame Natsu and his years of absence from Umi's life. Akane might have misgivings with Yayoi though. 😕

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I watched ep 1 with subs

It was really hard to go through the signing scene and the breakup scene...

Loved the dinner scene between Natsu and Yayoi...his ''uhm...hmm'' and her sign for the mountain

and the croquette scene...:D

She was really worried about him that whole day. 

• Like 2