It ain't about style

It ain't about rhymes

It ain't about skills

And it ain't about lines

It's all about life, maybe you'll see it in time

And then stop hatin on because I'm speakin my mind

Understand now?

haha. agreed.

I totally agree. What NWA and Public Enemy rapped about was life. They talked about violence, prejudice, and the world in an educated manner. It American rap was still that way, It'd probably be more enjoyable.

lol I wouldn't imply that NWA rapped about life in some polite manner. they practically encouraged controversy.

And American rap still got some artists that are more enjoyable to listen to then, say, Rick Ross.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lawl yeaaaa im korean n yea asian rap is a whole difff ish lololl totally diff like it can't be compared to american rap lol jus two diff things but yea azn rap does suck azz cuz iono o.0 sounds too asian lol

Mainstream American rap (50 Cent, Eminem, whoever) is horrible. Underground American rap, however, is great and still retains genuine hip hop ideals.

A few good American rappers are,

Nas, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, dead prez, 2Pac (best MC in hip hop history), Rakim, Ice Cube, NWA, Public Enemy.. Those are modern and old school.

Most of the Asian rap I've heard is pop-rap that is really bad also. I'm sure there is an underground Asian rap scene though.

Guest AtomicNorthernLights

To me it's not about the lifestyle, all that crap that some of you insist makes hip hop, hip hop. Personally, I like Korean mainstream AND underground because the music sounds good. American hip hop is just horrible (I'm referring to the NEW stuff, not the old). The lyrics are crap, the beats are crap, with the exception of a FEW (and I mean few) artists.

To me Korean hip hop is better because it sounds better. Again, I'm not referring to lifestyle or origin, I'm talking straight up MUSIC. After all, that's what it SHOULD come down to right? Ya'll make too big of a deal about whether a person is a good rap/hip hop artist based on their background. To me that is bullsheit.

Korean mainstream IMO is better than American mainstream. I will admit that some of the mainstream korean artists DO stoop down to your average American content, but underground it totally different. It would be hard for people like LucasBunny or Luna (not attacking here, i just need examples) to understand that because you don't know what they are rapping about.

edit: don't sit there and tell me that the lyrical content in mainstream rap is "life". I'm sure rappers can find something more meaningful to rap about than b*tches and hoes, sex and money, drugs and violence. PLEASE. The only thing that can sell in America is sex. Try asking someone in Korea if that's true for their country.

and yeah, there really is no point in comparing the two. As someone stated earlier, if you're going to bash about Korean's ripping off American music, do so somewhere else where people can stoop down to your intelligence, cuz it ain't gonna fly here. Music started here in America, how are people supposed to claim their originality when it's already been done?

Ok some one is confusing Hip-Hop with main stream rap which is quite sad, you see Hip-Hop is a culture consisting of 4 elements Emceeing, Writing(graffiti), Turntablism, and B-boying. I know you think Hip-Hop culture is all about smoking tree's,sagging pants,busting guns,and flipping products but the truth may hurt its not. Hip-Hop culture originated as a way inner city youth could express them selves and have fun(yes hip-hop emceeing was originally club music). This Club Emceeing eventually evolved to many styles being created ie your west coast G-funk, Political Rap etc. Also i know many people are dissing the main stream and the rappers/emcee's who produce the music but remeber the record label has a lot of influence on the artist look at jins album the rest is history....

Now upon saying lyrical content in main stream rap isnt life, the sad fact it is life,deal with it. Have you ever lived in a slum or even stepped foot into one, hell have you even been to school and chilled with people from the "ghetto"? The answer is most likely no, because if you have you would know about the the type of mentality people carry there the sad fact is most people living there do posses the richard simmons and hoe im all about mines mental.

listen to theese relatively new joints.

Visual- Impossible is nothing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBkXSrdxzBU vakills- its one

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dAock1tdCTY Murs- "Hustle"

Wordsworth- Vs president bush

Guest uiyoltan

I totally agree. What NWA and Public Enemy rapped about was life. They talked about violence, prejudice, and the world in an educated manner. It American rap was still that way, It'd probably be more enjoyable.

I have no idea where you came with NWA rapping about life in an educated manner.

i agree. asian rap sucks richard simmons....Name one asian artist that can even be compared to NAS.

There are very few American rappers that can even compare to Nas man. What was the point of even posting that?

Guest AirMaxFiend

Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco

Guest fl4ming_f0x

man... all of you need to calm down.. its a matter of opinion not a war...

american rap can be as good as asizn rap... i guess... but yeah the love stories are everywhere... even in pop and all...

american rap i personally think is more about sex and other stuff thats true about some parts of the world...

american rap can probably influence more people... than azn rap... tho... wait that depends on where you live...

i think they're about the same to me

Guest lavitadolce

If you choose to be a victim to where you come from, that is your problem.

well said.

american rap, most definately.

it has more cred.

The American Hip-Hop is much more Pop-orientated now, although there is an underground scene. I mean you mention hip-hop and the sound you hear is stuff like Yung Joc, Ying Yang Twins, Lil Jon, Justin Timberlake (yeah.. i know).

The Korean Hip-Hop scene seems to embrace the underground sounds of America more than their mainstream sound, although it is still their mainstream sound.

Guest knightvision91

first off

hip hop and rap ARE TOTALLY different things. Hip hop was a movement and a lifestyle... while rap is just about money cars and living the big dream. when rappers now a days say hiphop is dead, yeah your dam right hip hop died. You know why? cause you killed it lols. its a fact all the rappers that say hiphop is dead are the ones who killed it. The only ones still repping that good old hip hop that i can think of right now is... nas, jay z, talib kweli, common, and many underground artists.

butt back to the subject.... comparison to american and asian rap... america still holds it down.

Guest stellabella

Ok some one is confusing Hip-Hop with main stream rap which is quite sad, you see Hip-Hop is a culture consisting of 4 elements Emceeing, Writing(graffiti), Turntablism, and B-boying. I know you think Hip-Hop culture is all about smoking tree's,sagging pants,busting guns,and flipping products but the truth may hurt its not. Hip-Hop culture originated as a way inner city youth could express them selves and have fun(yes hip-hop emceeing was originally club music). This Club Emceeing eventually evolved to many styles being created ie your west coast G-funk, Political Rap etc. Also i know many people are dissing the main stream and the rappers/emcee's who produce the music but remeber the record label has a lot of influence on the artist look at jins album the rest is history....

Now upon saying lyrical content in main stream rap isnt life, the sad fact it is life,deal with it. Have you ever lived in a slum or even stepped foot into one, hell have you even been to school and chilled with people from the "ghetto"? The answer is most likely no, because if you have you would know about the the type of mentality people carry there the sad fact is most people living there do posses the richard simmons and hoe im all about mines mental.

listen to theese relatively new joints.

Visual- Impossible is nothing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBkXSrdxzBU vakills- its one

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dAock1tdCTY Murs- "Hustle"

Wordsworth- Vs president bushs

Actually I do know the difference. I wasn't implying that that's all American Hip Hop is about. It's just that these days, a lot of the mainstream stuff is so horrible, it's not even worth discussing. Mind you, I said underground stuff is a whole different story.

Second, don't act like you know me. I actually grew up in Santa Ana [Wab Town USA] and attended Santa Ana High School, one of the most dangerous in Cali for shootings. Yes I have been at the scene of a shooting. Yes I have seen a lot. Yes, I grew up poor and "ghetto". Just because I'm asian doesn't mean I can't fit in that category, plus I'm only half. On another note- this a shouldn't even be what Hip Hop is about. If the industry is supposed to be growing, so are we as people. Find better richard simmons to rap about and have an ounce of intelligence, please.

Sticking to the topic, I still stand by what I said. Korean hip hop and American hip hop are not even comparable. They are totally different and IMO Korean hip hop sounds better. It's just MY opinion though. Don't have a cow and think you have to oppose it and tell me why american rap is better. I've stated my opinion, just leave it at that.

Guest cpopbaby19

if you're gonna ask me what's the difference between the American rap and Asian rap... well.. american rap, like many others said above me, has contents concerning money, sex, gangs and the usual stuff. =_= while Asian rap.. well, i guess they're kind of mainstream? because i don't know if it's just me... when i listen to Asian rap, it doesn't make me feel heavy or something. T_T (or is it because i can't understand it that well? haha but yeah, i read the trans so yeah...)

so.. im sticking to asian rap. T_T; ahahahhaa

Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco Lupe Fiasco

THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME

Guest AirMaxFiend

THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME THE GAME

Hope you're not serious.

Game - "DRE I LOVE YOU, COMPTON WEST SIDE!!! AFTERMATH D-R-E. HI DRE."

Guest THEmerryJANE

RZA GZA GHOSTFACE KILLAH METHOD MAN INSPEKTDAH DECK MASTA KILLA UGOD ODB RAEKWON THE CHEF BOBBY DIGITAL GENIUS TONY STARKS JOHNNY BLAZINI ROLLIE FINGERS HIGH CHIEF JAMELIREEF GOLDEN ARMS DIRT MCGIRT LEX DIAMONDS

Oh yeah, Camp Lo is pretty ill too.

Guest knightvision91

JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE! JA RULE JA RULE!

jk :D

Guest BoA*SarangHae

American rap;

Its always about girls and expensive cars with deep dish chrome rims, or being a richard simmons or ho, or having a lot of money then getting it stolen then getting your whole gang to shoot em in your PV.

I hate it.

But its great because for people who like rap, american rap pretty much pwns anything.

but I prefer Asian rap, moreso about life and love, and more meaningful.

American rap is about the same thing over and over. People getting shot, wife getting stolen, etc.

Archived