[drama 2007] Dal Ja's Spring [달자의 봄]

Guest ovette

Thanks n5y17cgirl & cafeaulait for translation's preview ...

I make another MV for TB and Dalja's kiss so far....

(Hope more sweet moment between them)

Here for you to watch... Hope you guy like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUl-uH5fV8k

I dont know what happen to my youtube cuz sometime it cannot play so if anyone interested...

here for download

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B8UF0S2J

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest javabeans

I have to say that there are some aspects of this drama is probably a spin-off of some dramas that I've watched previously. What's with all the contract, and a younger guy falling love with an older woman. It certainly makes me scared, hahahaha, do women have to resort to "younger guys" to look after them when they're in their mid 30s? I guess it's a bit too "revolutionary" to think about such thing because even though I know women are obssessive with their career in this period of time, but will it ultimately come down to these things? Anyway, just my thoughts for the episodes I've seen. I don't like the idea of exchanging money for love either. I thought that was very stupid of Dal Ja to go switching from man to man, just because she was so desperate of love. Sorry to bring in my femminism into this drama. lol.

Hm, interesting point about the feminist thing. I consider myself fairly self-actualized and pro-feminist, but I guess I don't see the show as pushing un-feminist ideals... I think the emphasis is more on these women fighting the conventions and traditional thinking that make people like Dal Ja doubt their own self-worth, and think they need to go looking for a perfect man. Furthermore, these women feel the ticking clock winding down as their time is running low to fulfill society's expectation of marrying and having families while it's considered "acceptable." So for me, showing one woman struggling to buck the norm doesn't necessarily mean that she believes the norm. Dal Ja has definitely fallen into the trap before, especially regarding Eom Ki Joong, and temporarily allowed society's expectations to dictate her actions. I think the best example is when she goes on the date with him to the fancy restaurant, and actually finds herself bored with his dry, clinical conversation, but likes the envious gazes of all the women in the restaurant for having snagged the best seat, with the best man, drinking the best wine, in that restaurant. But the key word is "temporarily."

And I didn't see Dal Ja as "desperate" for love. I think she was just inexperienced and longing. But she certainly had standards... and her unni even told her that her problem was that her standards were too HIGH, which is why she'd never had a successful relationship.

I do agree that it's kind of a trend to have the yeon-sang couple (female older than male) and the "old maid" situations in some of the popular recent dramas, but I think that's just an indication of what's on the minds of society these days -- the zeitgest, or spirit of the times. It must be working, because some of my favorite shows revolve around these themes, and resonate with me too (even though I'm not in my 30s yet or dating a younger man, lol!).

Guest antinh85

thx u guys for the translations!! but i dont really get it TB tho.....i mean like we dont no wat they did that nite but DJ is a gurl !! n shes kool about it.......y would he be acting so uncomfortable about it ??

i think it's because Da ja acted cold in the first place after the incident..as a guy Tae bong feel weirded out if the girl he loves seems cold all of the sudden after their "bliss happiness"...

so something did really happen that night huh... so it was be Da ja's first time with Tae bong.. what i don't understand is ..why would she feel weirded out by it.. doesn't it mean she loves him if she gave it to him..

Guest bombergirl2109

i think it's because Da ja acted cold in the first place after the incident..as a guy Tae bong feel weirded out if the girl he loves seems cold all of the sudden after their "bliss happiness"...

so something did really happen that night huh... so it was be Da ja's first time with Tae bong.. what i don't understand is ..why would she feel weirded out by it.. doesn't it mean she loves him if she gave it to him..

but according to the translations, she wasn't cold after that nite tho !! she acted cool about it!! since shes kool with it !! so y does he feel weird ?? maybe im just kinda slow but i dont get it lol.....cant wait till ep 15 !!!!!!

Guest sunshine4ever

Hm, interesting point about the feminist thing. I consider myself fairly self-actualized and pro-feminist, but I guess I don't see the show as pushing un-feminist ideals... I think the emphasis is more on these women fighting the conventions and traditional thinking that make people like Dal Ja doubt their own self-worth, and think they need to go looking for a perfect man. Furthermore, these women feel the ticking clock winding down as their time is running low to fulfill society's expectation of marrying and having families while it's considered "acceptable." So for me, showing one woman struggling to buck the norm doesn't necessarily mean that she believes the norm. Dal Ja has definitely fallen into the trap before, especially regarding Eom Ki Joong, and temporarily allowed society's expectations to dictate her actions. I think the best example is when she goes on the date with him to the fancy restaurant, and actually finds herself bored with his dry, clinical conversation, but likes the envious gazes of all the women in the restaurant for having snagged the best seat, with the best man, drinking the best wine, in that restaurant. But the key word is "temporarily."

I guess we simply have different takes on it. I'm still on episode 5, so can't really bring a lot of examples into it.

I do have some critical thoughts about Dal Ja. I guess it's hard to not observe a "female" character without relating her to myself because after all, I am a female. I usually see myself through female characters in dramas, so in a way, sometimes I can be very "idealistic" about love too. Haha.

Anyway, Dal Ja's character is very realistic though, which was why I said her "wanting" or her "desperate" for love bug me. I think it is true of women who have turned 30s because they're being forced to deal with how society see them. Most of us want to have someone to take care of us when we're old, right? (Just a note: it doesn't apply to everyone, but most). So that was why I didn't like that idea, but I understand that Dal Ja's like a human in this real world, lol. I can be very contradictory. I guess I dislike to see her like that because I also dislike to see myself like her, that was why I stated such an opinion. Also from another fact is that she was trying to protect her "pride." She was going from one guy to another, I don't like that. But anyhow, your point is not invalid either; heh, perhaps she was "choosing." lol.

And I didn't see Dal Ja as "desperate" for love. I think she was just inexperienced and longing. But she certainly had standards... and her unni even told her that her problem was that her standards were too HIGH, which is why she'd never had a successful relationship.
Dal Ja's ideas were quite idealistic, but her characteristics are quite realistic. (She wants the best, but she has to resort with whatever's available to her. I think it's all true of us because we often fantasized of the perfect mate, but we tend to not get what we want) lol. Anyway, I was laughing because DJ was refering to Eom Ki Joong as the "destined man" or her "prince" when he let her borrowed his coat, and also the time he came when TB was about to do something to her. I thought the scene that TB was holding to her in the dalk ally was hilarious, and yet she was thinking of KJ as the rescuer. When SD threw up all on her; however, I felt that it was TB that came and "rescued" her because he kept his promise in bringing in the clothes to her. Well, obviously she was thinking of KJ instead. Oh, you mentioned the dating scene. Hahaha. That scene was hilarious. :D I liked DJ's reaction to it. What a weird guy, who would wnat to hear a long history of the "wine." I'm sure DJ would be interested in hearing about him more than wine. lol.

I do agree that it's kind of a trend to have the yeon-sang couple (female older than male) and the "old maid" situations in some of the popular recent dramas, but I think that's just an indication of what's on the minds of society these days -- the zeitgest, or spirit of the times. It must be working, because some of my favorite shows revolve around these themes, and resonate with me too (even though I'm not in my 30s yet or dating a younger man, lol!).

Sorry, I take it a bit too personal. I guess because of "My Name is Kim Sam Soon" and "What's Up Fox?" that I had those things on my mind. I felt like this drama is a spin-off of that, too, due to what I've watched earlier. Obviously, I only watched 5 episodes, so can't say more than what I've seen. :) But yeah, it's a bit "frightening" to me. I surely hope that women don't have to deal with what people say when they're 33. I'd love to watch a movie/series with a woman in her 33 and be happy that she's still single. (Hahahaha. Told ya, I brought in femminism). I would like to say that happiness is subjective. Dramas with women in their 30s trying to deal with love, and suddenly "get" the love have now turned to be something unrealistic to me; a prince don't just suddenly appear at such age, but then again, what I said could be ridiculous. I'm simply watching a fictional drama which could, and should have it rights to have unrealistic ideas.

I wrote too much. Your analysis is very interesting. I hope to read more of yours. :D For now, I gotta find some times to catch up because I suddenly watched ep. 14, and I didn't understand a thing. :ph34r: Haha.

P.S. I've been out the whole day. I'm dead tired. Sorry if some of what I wrote don't make sense.

Guest javabeans

but according to the translations, she wasn't cold after that nite tho !! she acted cool about it!! since shes kool with it !! so y does he feel weird ?? maybe im just kinda slow but i dont get it lol.....cant wait till ep 15 !!!!!!

In this sense, "cool" means slightly distant, treating the instant lightly and not in earnest. It doesn't mean cool as in awesome or great. So, Dal Ja pretends she's "cool" about it, and probably acts like it's not a big deal, which surprises Tae Bong and causes him to act similarly. I think it's probably a case of the event meaning more to both people than they are willing to admit -- they overcompensate by playing it off as less important -- and each person is afraid of showing how much it affected them. But since they both come to realize what they both want from the other, I guess their mutual misunderstanding is brief.

And poor Sae Do. I didn't think they were going to go there. Wow. Especially after Seon Joo saw how much being a mother meant to Go Soon Ae, when Soon Ae thought she'd lost her baby in episode 14.

When I was reading the summary, I was thinking what TB said was quite unrealistic too. I can only imagine that when Dal Ja did all of those things to please him, she wanted to hear "compliments" from him. That yes, her dress is beautiful, and that he liked all those stuffs she prepared for him. Well, I simply put how I feel because if I were to prepare something for someone, I would want to hear him or her to compliment me for doing those things for him or her. Not to hear him or her say that "well, you don't have to do this for me because I like you the way you are." Trying to be perfect for someone is not easy, especially someone whom you love.

Isn't this what most viewers expected Tae-bong to react? However, for him to uncharacteristically touch on the subject of her outfit, should we not question why he'd react the way he did? And the reasoning behind his speech to her?

Guest javabeans

Sorry, I take it a bit too personal. I guess because of "My Name is Kim Sam Soon" and "What's Up Fox?" that I had those things on my mind. I felt like this drama is a spin-off of that, too, due to what I've watched earlier. Obviously, I only watched 5 episodes, so can't say more than what I've seen. :) But yeah, it's a bit "frightening" to me. I surely hope that women don't have to deal with what people say when they're 33. I'd love to watch a movie/series with a woman in her 33 and be happy that she's still single. (Hahahaha. Told ya, I brought in femminism). I would like to say that happiness is subjective. Dramas with women in their 30s trying to deal with love, and suddenly "get" the love have now turned to be something unrealistic to me; a prince don't just suddenly appear at such age, but then again, what I said could be ridiculous. I'm simply watching a fictional drama which could, and should have it rights to have unrealistic ideas.

I'll try to keep my response short, since I know I could go on for ages.

Basically, I agree with you in theory, but I just have a different take on the conclusion. I agree with your statement that when dramas show women trying to be happy in their 30s and give the woman her perfect romantic ending, it seems to contradict the feminist idea that a woman doesn't NEED a man to complete her life. But I'll counter and say, a show about a 33-year-old woman dealing with career, family and love doesn't, in my opinion, automatically negate its feminist point of view just because she ends up with a guy in the end.

For me, My Name Is Kim Sam Soon and What's Up Fox did pair up their 30-something spinsters with their younger men in a romantic ending, and I have a feeling Dal Ja's Spring will follow the pattern -- but I don't think any of these dramas are pushing an anti-feminist perspective. They aren't saying that these women needed a man, and they didn't provide them with their perfect fairy-tale Prince Charmings, either. The message I took away from these stories is that each woman made a choice to be happy with whomever she chose. Happiness is subjective, like you said, but it's also something you can choose. These women didn't sit back and wait for their happiness to come to them in the shape of a man. They're not passive spectators in their lives, which is how I think many women were portrayed previously. They were responsible for their own decisions, and there's no guarantee that they'll live happily ever after. But that's for them to deal with.

Okay, done with this topic! Don't want to turn this thread into a rhetorical debate on the merits of feminism in kdramas. That conversation's not nearly as much fun as trying to predict what's up with Dal Ja and Tae Bong this week. ;) (And I think Granny will be totally behind the pairing. If anything, I think she pities Dal Ja's mom for having made the wrong decision in her life. She seems like she'd be understanding in that sort of way.)

Guest cafeaulait

javabeans, thank you, that cleared up my remaining confusion about Dalja's "coolness." I'm just as surprised at the developments concerning Sunjoo and Sedo, and I feel so bad for them. In the previous episode, Sunjoo looked at a photo of her mother and herself, which seems to suggest that Sunjoo grew up under a single mother. I wonder how hard her childhood was that Sunjoo is convinced her child would be unhappy.

creidesca, I've read your related comments on the LMK thread, and I'd be very interested to hear your take on Taebong (and why you began to understand Bongki and dislike Joonwon).

referring to creidesca's questions, i expected tae bong to say those words. his character seems like the kind of guy who would speak those words to a woman.

no matter what age you are, i think women still desire for that "perfect" man (even if the desire is .000000001%). if you really love someone, wouldn't you tell the person that he or she doesn't have to try so hard to bolster their love in being perfect? i don't think tae bong is "perfect," but he is the type of guy that women do dream for. he is a man who does not believe that love has to be perfect and says that all he needs is the woman in front of him. he is a man who tells the truth and speaks his mind because he cares and loves her that much. heck, whatever age i am or will be, i know i would want a man like that. [x

i don't know what the heck i'm saying... lol. but i really like reading the conversations. [x

can't wait for wednesday! ^0^

i can't believe that thursday is the last episode... T^T

Guest dramaok

hmm... 데이트다운 sounded too much like a romanized phrase to me... so I thought it might be one of those pop-culture phrases that I wasn't familiar with.

it's one of those english added coined pop phrases. it just means to 'go on a real formal or fancy date'...

like all dressed up and stuff and ordering expensive stuff. i think it comes from 'knock down'.. but wrongly imported to mean 'knock out'... hahaha.

In this sense, "cool" means slightly distant, treating the instant lightly and not in earnest. It doesn't mean cool as in awesome or great. So, Dal Ja pretends she's "cool" about it, and probably acts like it's not a big deal, which surprises Tae Bong and causes him to act similarly. I think it's probably a case of the event meaning more to both people than they are willing to admit -- they overcompensate by playing it off as less important -- and each person is afraid of showing how much it affected them.

yup i think you are right. so this means they had sex right? it's normal the night 'after' is ackward. also i think dalja thinks taebong is very experienced in sex so she's conscious about her performance and maybe acting cool to make it look like she knew what she was doing so he wouldn't tease her and also, not to be 'burdened by it'.. you know.. not to linger on because of it.

Isn't this what most viewers expected Tae-bong to react? However, for him to uncharacteristically touch on the subject of her outfit, should we not question why he'd react the way he did? And the reasoning behind his speech to her?

actually this reminds me. i thought it was weird what he said about her outfit. it seemed kinda random and mean.

Guest babymarzy07

As far as I can tell, "daoon" is not English - it means "like" or "which can be considered as." So dating that can be called dating is genuine, all-out dating.

n5y17cgirl, does 데면데면해지면서 mean becoming thoughtless/careless?

yes, 데면데면해지면서 = becoming thoughtless or careless; negligent

hmm... 데이트다운 sounded too much like a romanized phrase to me... so I thought it might be one of those pop-culture phrases that I wasn't familiar with.

^

^

thanks for the summary for the preview cafeaulait and n5y17girl :) i was kind confused about what that went too.

In this sense, "cool" means slightly distant, treating the instant lightly and not in earnest. It doesn't mean cool as in awesome or great. So, Dal Ja pretends she's "cool" about it, and probably acts like it's not a big deal, which surprises Tae Bong and causes him to act similarly. I think it's probably a case of the event meaning more to both people than they are willing to admit -- they overcompensate by playing it off as less important -- and each person is afraid of showing how much it affected them. But since they both come to realize what they both want from the other, I guess their mutual misunderstanding is brief.

And poor Sae Do. I didn't think they were going to go there. Wow. Especially after Seon Joo saw how much being a mother meant to Go Soon Ae, when Soon Ae thought she'd lost her baby in episode 14.

thanks javabeans for clearing up the cool thing, i had misinterpreted that for a while. Yours is a good interpretation of that. I also think that if they admit their true feelings they also feel a fear of rejection too since they have more feelings in each other i think. I hope that SJ didnt really go through with it, she just said that.. that would be such a sad thing.. for SD and for her. SIgh..I can't wait to see this episode!! I look forwward to the different antics.. :)

I liked reading ur debate with sunshine4ever about the feminism thing in kdramas interesting topic that could go on forever. hehhehe they all have their merits.

referring to creidesca's questions, i expected tae bong to say those words. his character seems like the kind of guy who would speak those words to a woman.

no matter what age you are, i think women still desire for that "perfect" man (even if the desire is .000000001%). if you really love someone, wouldn't you tell the person that he or she doesn't have to try so hard to bolster their love in being perfect? i don't think tae bong is "perfect," but he is the type of guy that women do dream for. he is a man who does not believe that love has to be perfect and says that all he needs is the woman in front of him. he is a man who tells the truth and speaks his mind because he cares and loves her that much. heck, whatever age i am or will be, i know i would want a man like that. [x

i don't know what the heck i'm saying... lol. but i really like reading the conversations. [x

lol.. reading what u said made me smile.. i get lost in the debate of the perfect man, dream guy and all that.. i love reading the deabtes too its just that there are so many i get the sense of overwhelmed by all the thoughts and ideas.. but they all have their own points and most worth discussing over.

creidesca, yeah ditto what cafeaulait said.. ur thought on taebong.. bongki and joonwon would be interesting.. :)

it's one of those english added coined pop phrases. it just means to 'go on a real formal or fancy date'...

like all dressed up and stuff and ordering expensive stuff. i think it comes from 'knock down'.. but wrongly imported to mean 'knock out'... hahaha.

yup i think you are right. so this means they had sex right? it's normal the night 'after' is ackward. also i think dalja thinks taebong is very experienced in sex so she's conscious about her performance and maybe acting cool to make it look like she knew what she was doing so he wouldn't tease her and also, not to be 'burdened by it'.. you know.. not to linger on because of it.

actually this reminds me. i thought it was weird what he said about her outfit. it seemed kinda random and mean.

ahhh.. that phrase is quite confusing.. it seems to have lots of meanings.. at least we settled on the general meaning :phew:

yup ur right the night after theory is the most probable thing.. it's one of those basic insecurities things you see on tv.. hahahha now that you mention it i didnt pay much attention to the dialogue since i wait for the subs.. :) you got a point there.. how random and impulsive.. a bit tactless..

im wondering if the would show the exact night or 'deed' itself.. it must have been funny yet romantic.. makes me wanna :blush: for them hahhaha

I mentioned before that this was likely the first time Tae Bong's B-day was truly celebrated in a meaningful manner (must also consider that it happens to fall upon Valentine's Day). He looked as if he was used to buying his own B-day cake and celebrating by himself. Not once in EP 13 or 14 does either of his parents mention of his upcoming B-day. And father didn't go to the restaurant because his son was there. If Dal Ja hadn't eaten the entire cake, Tae Bong would not even mention his B-day. Also when Tae Bong says he already got his 'gift', he truly meant it...just by that look on his face when he opened the door of his room after Dal Ja had hers closed the night before. Furthermore, hasn't he also seen how much his Mom 'pretends' in front of his father? For how long? 20+ years?

Recall in EP 13, what Tae Bong tells Dal Ja before the 'wavelengh' line. It seems to apply to this situation as well. His comment seems callous, but it was what he could come up with to counteract his own emotions. Earlier, n5y17cgirl (hope you don't mind using you), asked me when my B-day was. I'm sure she noticed that I tried to avoid answering her by broaching other topics, and only after repeated attempts, did I tell her, but in an indirect (?) manner.

Having been in Tae Bong's position (and still am), I can relate. I might not buy my own B-day cake, rather, a present for myself. And the entire day, when someone (whether I know them or not) does something nice/good, I would think to myself, how I hope that person stays the way they are.

Guest cafeaulait

Doesn't it seem somewhat uncharacteristic for TB to take DJ out on an expensive date, especially after what he said about being happy just eating ramen with her? But if that is what happens, maybe TB realizes a little fanciness makes DJ extra happy...

Trying to translate on soompi reminds me how much I need to brush up my Korean, but I'm pretty sure, at least as it is used in the preview, "date daoon" is part of the larger phrase "date daoon date" and is not a noun by itself. "Daoon" is the adjective form of "dabda" (to be fitting for), e.g. "How like Dalja [to do something]" = "Dalja dabda", "that's what you would expect of a lawyer" = "byunhosa dabda", "an extensive, very enjoyable vacation" = "yeohaeng daoon yeohaeng", etc. "[something] daoon [something]" is a fairly common phrase.

TB's lines sometimes make me wonder how much is really coming out of TB's mouth and how much is the writers trying to create interesting "twists" in the dialogue. For instance, here TB's line clearly makes us go "huh?" If TB had said, "You don't have to dress up for me," it wouldn't have been as provocative. But I guess being provocative/blunt is part of TB's character, too.

Guest dramaok

oh ya.. you're right. it's a 'date-ly date'. ^^ got it.

ditto on translation. i haven't lived in korea since i was 9 so i have a lot to catch up too.

Guest babymarzy07

I mentioned before that this was likely the first time Tae Bong's B-day was celebrated in a meaningful manner (must also consider that it happens to fall upon Valentine's Day). He looked as if he was used to buying his own B-day cake and celebrating by himself. Not once in EP 13 or 14 does either of his parents mention of his upcoming B-day. And father didn't go to the restaurant because his son was there. If Dal Ja hadn't eaten the entire cake, Tae Bong would not even mention his B-day. Also when Tae Bong says he already got his 'gift', he truly meant it...just by that look on his face when he opened the door of his room after Dal Ja had hers closed the night before.

Recall in EP 13, what Tae Bong tells Dal Ja before the 'wavelengh' line. It seems to apply to this situation as well. His comment seems callous, but it was what he could come up with to counteract his own emotions. Earlier, n5y17cgirl (hope you don't mind using you), asked me when my B-day was. I'm sure she noticed that I tried to avoid answering her by broaching other topics, and only after repeated attempts, did I tell her, but in an indirect (?) manner.

Having been in Tae Bong's position (and still am), I can relate. I might not buy my own B-day cake, rather, a present for myself. And the entire day, when someone (whether I know them or not) does something nice/good, I would think to myself, how I hope that person stays the way they are.

Hmmm.. i think im slowly understanding ur reasoning.. Actually if that is the reason behind the TB thing I can understand where he is coming from.. With that i can truly say that the gift comment seemed to be a sincere one. It is so sad to think that you (creidesca) or TB's situation has happened to a some people too.. With the simple gesture you can feel so happy already. A case point id like to make is there are times when we totally forget someone (who we really care about) B-day it would hurt right? But one of the best things in the world is to have someone give you a card, flower or cake even just a greeting to remember that occasion.

Doesn't it seem somewhat uncharacteristic for TB to take DJ out on an expensive date, especially after what he said about being happy just eating ramen with her? But if that is what happens, maybe TB realizes a little fanciness makes DJ extra happy...

Trying to translate on soompi reminds me how much I need to brush up my Korean, but I'm pretty sure, at least as it is used in the preview, "date daoon" is part of the larger phrase "date daoon date" and is not a noun by itself. "Daoon" is the adjective form of "dabda" (to be fitting for), e.g. "How like Dalja [to do something]" = "Dalja dabda", "that's what you would expect of a lawyer" = "byunhosa dabda", "an extensive, very enjoyable vacation" = "yeohaeng daoon yeohaeng", etc. "[something] daoon [something]" is a fairly common phrase.

TB's lines sometimes make me wonder how much is really coming out of TB's mouth and how much is the writers trying to create interesting "twists" in the dialogue. For instance, here TB's line clearly makes us go "huh?" If TB had said, "You don't have to dress up for me," it wouldn't have been as provocative. But I guess being provocative/blunt is part of TB's character, too.

phew... :sweatingbullets: korean seems really really confusing for me just by looking.. thanks for cafeaulait for elaborating.. :) but im still boggled by "Daoon".. basically it means when you insert it in a phrase is that ie (some korean words) Dalja dabda = Dalja is just fitting to do something like that? so date daoon date would mean a date that is just fitted for a couple? or is it a preposition as dramaok sted above? im all confused now.. daoon is basically like adding the english suffix? hahhaha im thinking the latter in ur statement about how uncharacteristic is seems to be on a formal date..

Guest dramaok

yeah you got it. i think your korean is getting good. sorry if i confused you. i didn't read the preview at first, so when i first saw 'date da-oon' i mistook it as 'date down'. both are spelled same in korean like 다운. one is the english loan word.

but now that i see 'date daoon date' i see that it was actually 'date-like date'. the korean-origin phrase.

sorry for the distraction.

Guest n5y17cgirl

yup, I concur. that makes the most sense now. 데이트다운 데이트 = date-like date (aka a 'real date')

thnx cafeaulait and dramaok. :) (Dramaok, I first read it as an English loan word as well. that's why I got confused.)

for everyone else, it just means that TB & DJ go on a real date.

and thnx javabeans for clarifying - didn't realize that so many ppl would have misinterpreted our translation of "DJ playing it cool".

about that preview, though... I'm not 100% convinced (although I do think it's a definite possibility) that they slept together (in the biblical sense). of course, they're trying to be elusive about the whole situation - i.e. using the phrase "from that night on" - which of course is their intent. I do think that something had to have happened for DJ to act all of a sudden differently and all coolly towards TB (the 2 of them having sex seems to be the obvious guess). But as far as what that 'something' actually is/was, one can only assume at this point. I just hope it's not one of those "Peculiar Woman, Peculiar Man" (aka The Bizzare Bunch) scenes/situations where the audience doesn't know for sure what happened between the couple until a couple of episodes later, when we find out that the main character is pregnant.

creidesca - np. you may use me as a reference anytime. ;)

about TB's comment on what DJ was wearing... I understand that from a woman's point-of-view(pov), what he said may have seemed harsh. and to be honest, that was probably my initial reaction as well. however, if you look at it from not so much a woman's perspective, but rather knowing what we know about TB and his background/upbringing, we know that that's not how he meant it. I think we as audience members, since most of us are female, we're so used to seeing everything automatically from a woman's pov that we forget to look at it from the other pov. also, I think creidesca brings up a good point about how TB seems to be used to celebrating his bday on his own, and how this may very well be the 1st time anyone has celebrated with him or done anything special for him. In hindsight, I, too, thought it was odd that neither of his parents even mentioned the fact that it was TB's birthday that day (probably b/c they forgot), let alone call him or cook him "mee yuk gook" even if he wasn't going to be there in person to enjoy it.

hi all

i just want to say that u guys have lots of good analysis going on in this thread.

keep it up!

i'm still trying to figure out some of it...sorry, i'm such a slow learner... :blush: :sweatingbullets:

anw, when TB said he already got his gift..what was it?

am missing something here...

Archived