[Drama 2021] Idol- The Coup, IDOL (아이돌 : The Coup)

larus

Hello, guys. I watched the first episode right away when it was available because I'm excited for idol dramas after watching Imitation.

I love that each of the Cotton Candy members has their own story. Jenna desperately promoting the group at any chance (that radio is so toxic and the residents' gathering was a success but a failure at the same time :unsure:), Hyunji lashing out and hanging out at nightclubs (Hyunji is totally a female version of Hyunoh if you watch Imitation and her dialect is cute), Elle/L(?) seems to give up on the group and focuses on teaching vocal lessons (yes girl, don't give face to that horrible guy), Stella supporting Jenna and doing acting (poor her being seen as nothing but a pretty face) and ChaeAh being a mama's girl (why is this girl behaving like she's underage?).

Manager Duho is so sweet towards the girls even when he's not their manager anymore. So, he has talents in dancing? Interesting. I don't know what to think of CEO Ma, he feels like a grey character. He totally has a special soft spot for Cotton Candy especially Jenna because they're his first group but seems to give up on them and do nothing for them.

Ah yes, we have our third most handsome but cold guy from a super popular group this year. He's sick of being a manufactured idol so he wants to become a real artist by producing his songs (psst, you also can learn from Yoon Taein, another version of you). He looks interested in Jenna's producing talent and he will for sure want to learn from her and maybe a romance will happen later.

• Like 3

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Idol- The Coup, IDOL (아이돌 : The Coup)- Hani, Kwak Si Yang, Kim Min Kyu

“Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” And “IDOL: The Coup” Join Ratings Race As “The King’s Affection” Hits Personal Best

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 9, 2021
by D. Kim

Also new to the ratings battle is JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup,” a realistic drama about the struggles of idols with a cast including Hani, Kwak Si Yang, and Kim Min Kyu. Airing at the late 11 p.m. time slot, the first episode scored an average nationwide rating of 0.751 percent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Maybe there will be romance in this later on, just have to wait and see eh.

yes, i want romance, but i doutb this will be between FL and ML because ML is CO-CEO, so i just want romance here:joy::love:

• Like 2

It's so heartbreaking to see them crumbling down at the mention of disbanding and thankfully they don't want to disband (Elle is unsure). I knew from the start Jenna hiding the truth from the members will explode in her face just when things start to look hopeful.

At first, I didn't understand why Hyunji is searching for those terrible guys but I was touched it was because she wants to get Duho's money back. Duho is ready to do anything for Cotton Candy even when he's not technically their manager anymore. Among the seriousness, Jihan wearing chicken mask is so hilarious.

We finally see CEO Cha in this episode and he's cold as expected. Why I'm seeing implications of something will be going on between him and Elle? Unique first meetings are often the start of romance in dramas. I I never expected it will be Elle who will be close to him instead of Jenna. Let's see which way his story will go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starveri said:

We finally see CEO Cha in this episode and he's cold as expected. Why I'm seeing implications of something will be going on between him and Elle? Unique first meetings are often the start of romance in dramas. I I never expected it will be Elle who will be close to him instead of Jenna. Let's see which way his story will go.

Yes, maybe you right

but some comments said the romance will be between this new CEO and Jenna, after in the press conference they may have talked about this, but it's in Korean language lol

• Like 1

EXID’s Hani Asks Bandmates To Vote On Whether They Want To Stay In Cotton Candy On “IDOL: The Coup”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 9, 2021
by E. Cha

JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup” has shared a sneak peek of a tense moment from its upcoming episode!

“IDOL: The Coup” is a new drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. The story centers on fictional girl group Cotton Candy, which consists of leader Jenna (played by EXID’s Hani), Hyunji (LABOUM’s Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (WJSN‘s Exy), and ChaeA (Redsquare’s Green). The star-studded cast also includes Kwak Si Yang, Kim Min Kyu, former X1 member Lee Eun Sang, former RAINZ member Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, Baek Seo Hoo, and more.

Spoilers

The first episode of “IDOL: The Coup” ended on a cliffhanger, with the head of Cotton Candy’s agency (played by Jung Woong In) informing Jenna that he planned to disband the group, but that he wanted to keep Jenna—and Jenna alone—at Starpeace Entertainment.

In the drama’s second episode, Jenna will turn to her bandmates for a serious discussion on Cotton Candy’s future. As they face their imminent disbandment, Jenna will ask the other Cotton Candy members to vote on whether they want to keep the group together or go their separate ways.

Although Cotton Candy is exhausted after six years of struggling—and failing—to get their name out there, the members have also built up a deep bond over the years, and Jenna broaching the topic of disbandment is a shock to everyone.

In newly released stills from the drama’s next episode, Jenna has a cold look in her eye as she speaks to her fellow Cotton Candy members. As always, Hyunji approaches her challengingly with a fiery glint in her gaze, while a visibly upset Stella looks on worriedly. ChaeA, on the other hand, seems unable to meet her bandmates’ gaze.

Hani1.jpg

Spoiler

Hani-Solbin.jpg

Han-So-Eun.jpg

To find out what decision each of the Cotton Candy members will make about their future, tune in to the next episode of “IDOL: The Coup” on November 9 at 11 p.m. KST!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1497656wpp/exids-hani-asks-bandmates-to-vote-on-whether-they-want-to-stay-in-cotton-candy-on-idol-the-coup

• Like 2

Watch: EXID’s Hani And Kim Min Kyu Joke Around While Rehearsing Emotional Scene In “IDOL: The Coup”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 12, 2021
by S. Cho

“IDOL: The Coup” has released a new behind-the-scenes clip!

JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup” is a new drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. The story centers on fictional girl group Cotton Candy, which consists of leader Jenna (played by EXID’s Hani), Hyunji (LABOUM‘s Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (WJSN‘s Exy), and ChaeA (Redsquare’s Green). The star-studded cast also includes Kwak Si YangKim Min Kyu, former X1 member Lee Eun Sang, former RAINZ member Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, Baek Seo Hoo, and more.

The video starts with Hani preparing for her performance at an apartment event. A child she’s performing with tells her, “Hani, my mom likes you,” making her laugh in disbelief. As they continue practicing for the scene, she sweetly discusses the choreography with the kids.

Next, Hani’s joined by Kim Min Kyu and Jo Joon Young to film the scene where she unknowingly delivers chicken to their dorm. As they discuss the upcoming driving scene, the stars express amazement at the car and a staff member considerately comments, “It’s okay if you scratch it. It can even break. I’m worried that you guys will get hurt.”

Hani asks Kim Min Kyu whether he has his driver’s license and he confidently reassures her that he does. She asks how long it’s been and he answers, “Like two or three months?” Everybody starts laughing and Hani hesitantly comments, “He’ll be better than me, right?”

When her member needs her help, Hani’s character quickly leaves to catch a cab but has to walk a lot before Kim Min Kyu comes to stop her. She jokingly comments, “I’m kind of pissed that I had to come all the way here.” After they complete rehearsals, the two dive into the scene but run into some mishaps, like the taxi not arriving and Hani being startled by a pigeon.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1498150wpp/watch-exids-hani-and-kim-min-kyu-joke-around-while-rehearsing-emotional-scene-in-idol-the-coup

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

Watch: Hani, Solbin, Exy, Han So Eun, And Green Chat With Fans + Celebrate Cotton Candy’s Debut Behind The Scenes Of “IDOL: The Coup”

Watch: Hani, Solbin, Exy, Han So Eun, And Green Chat With Fans + Celebrate Cotton Candy’s Debut Behind The Scenes Of “IDOL: The Coup”

Nov 14, 2021
by S. Cho

JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup” has shared two new behind-the-scenes videos of Cotton Candy during filming!

“IDOL: The Coup” is a drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. The story centers on fictional girl group Cotton Candy, which consists of leader Jenna (played by EXID’s Hani), Hyunji (LABOUM’s Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), El (WJSN’s Exy), and ChaeA (Redsquare’s Green). The star-studded cast also includes Kwak Si YangKim Min Kyu, former X1 member Lee Eun Sang, former RAINZ member Hong Eun Ki, Jo Joon Young, Baek Seo Hoo, and more.

The first behind-the-scenes video takes viewers back to Cotton Candy’s debut performance six years ago. Just like they would for a real music show, the group diligently practices their formations and choreography. They start filming the performance when Hani suddenly calls out for everyone to stop and picks up a fallen ribbon.

After monitoring their performance, the group then performs in front of their fans. Exy adorably tells the crowd, “Oh, you look so pretty!” She then asks, “Isn’t this tiring?” They all reply in unison that they’re okay, then one fan calls out, “I became okay after seeing you!”

The next video features the girl group’s first visit to their eerie basement practice room. Their agency CEO comments, “Oh, it’s not waterproof…” but the girls are encouraged by Jenna to get right to cleaning up the space. Although exhausted from cleaning, their debut song begins to play, inspiring the group to start an impromptu dance party.

Next, the stars get ready to film their debut celebration party. As they gather around the food, Solbin bursts into laughter at Cotton Candy’s stacked albums on the table as Exy comments, “That’s amazing, they’re really albums.”

Later, they pose for photos with their albums and Solbin asks, “Do we have some kind of group cheer?” She suggests they do the pose from their “White Day” choreography, especially exciting leader Hani with their new official cheer.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1498579wpp/watch-hani-solbin-exy-han-so-eun-and-green-chat-with-fans-celebrate-cotton-candys-debut-behind-the-scenes-of-idol-the-coup

• Like 1

Hani, Solbin, Han So Eun, And Green Continue To Fight During Rained-Out Event In “IDOL: The Coup”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 15, 2021
by C. Hong

Can the Cotton Candy members resolve their dispute?

JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup” is a drama about idols who have failed to reach stardom and are struggling to let go of their unachieved dreams. The story centers on the fictional girl group Cotton Candy, which consists of leader Jenna (EXID’s Hani), Hyunji (LABOUM’s Solbin), Stella (Han So Eun), Elle (WJSN’s Exy), and ChaeA (Redsquare’s Green).

Spoilers

On November 15, the drama shared new stills of Cotton Candy from its upcoming episode. In episode 2, Elle found out that their agency CEO, Ma Jin Woo (Jung Woong In), had made Jenna the offer to keep her and disband the rest of Cotton Candy. This caused a new line of friction in the group, which was already struggling due to their lack of success.

In the new stills, Cotton Candy is performing at their first official event in the six years since their debut. Unfortunately, the event is rained out by heavy showers and the members have to wait outside in the cold in their performance costumes. But instead of bringing them closer together, the members stand apart from each other and show tense expressions. Hyunji eventually bursts out in anger after looking at her drenched phone, while Jenna keeps to herself. Moreover, Elle is nowhere to be seen.

idol-the-coup.jpeg

hani-solbin-idol-the-coup.jpeg

Spoiler

solbin-hani-idol-the-coup.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1498711wpp/hani-solbin-han-so-eun-and-green-continue-to-fight-during-rained-out-event-in-idol-the-coup

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup” recorded average nationwide viewership ratings of 0.656 percent for episode 3. The new drama has yet to break into the 1 percent range in ratings, having scored 0.751 percent for the premiere episode and 0.648 percent for episode 2.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/the-kings-affection-maintains-strong-ratings-as-secret-royal-inspector-joy-and-idol-the-coup-experience-slight-rises/#ixzz7CLekb3YO

• Like 1

Oh gosh, the third episode was so brutally sad that I felt like getting punched in the guts by sadness. The day when they have the gig is seriously cursed, how can so many unfortunate things happen in one day :tears: I hope both of them can survive because they are their biggest supporters since their debut and it will break the girls so hard.

• Like 2