[Drama 2021/2022] Immortality/ Bulgasal: Immortal Souls, 불가살

larus

On 2/18/2022 at 8:56 PM, spartania said:

Lately, I'm listening to this song on a loop :tears: :tears: :tears:

:o:o

Although it's late, I want to share a new knowledge that I got when I watch an episode with Korean subtitle. Somehow the actual conversation gives funnier vibe than the English subtitle (& no wonder the English subtitle feels off).

These are the conversations in the beginning of ep 12 when Dan Hwal advised Sang Woon to sleep in his room and later Sang Woon felt anxious because her crush was beside her .

DH: Why? is it because of me?

SU: isn't that obvious?

DH: We have slept together before.

SU: Whoever hear it will misunderstand. Don't say that We slept together but say that We slept in 한방/hanbang (one room)

DU: Isn't 합방/habbang weirder? (habbang means sharing room together and sleep together for the first time., it's usually used in honeymoon)

SU: if you say  합방/habbang..of course it's become weirder.. I will sleep. Because I'm talking to you, I become tired.

So here...Dan Hwal mistakenly heard hanbang as habbang :sweatingbullets:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

27 minutes ago, illay said:

:o:o

Although it's late, I want to share a new knowledge that I got when I watch an episode with Korean subtitle. Somehow the actual conversation gives funnier vibe than the English subtitle (& no wonder the English subtitle feels off).

These are the conversations in the beginning of ep 12 when Dan Hwal advised Sang Woon to sleep in his room and later Sang Woon felt anxious because her crush was beside her .

DH: Why? is it because of me?

SU: isn't that obvious?

DH: We have slept together before.

SU: Whoever hear it will misunderstand. Don't say that We slept together but say that We slept in 한방/hanbang (one room)

DU: Isn't 합방/habbang weirder? (habbang means sharing room together and sleep together for the first time., it's usually used in honeymoon)

SU: if you say  합방/habbang..of course it's become weirder.. I will sleep. Because I'm talking to you, I become tired.

So here...Dan Hwal mistakenly heard hanbang as habbang :sweatingbullets:

Thank you for the insight! I thought something felt off too.

Because to me, sleeping together sounds definitely fishier than sharing a room! That's why I didn't understand Hwal's and SW's last lines (in english).

I will watch that scene again in a new light.:wub:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Kim Woo Seok Opens Up About How He Views Himself, His Role In “Bulgasal,” And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Apr 24, 2022
by S. P

UP10TION’s Kim Woo Seok recently participated in a pictorial and interview for Allure!

The interview began with an interesting question regarding how often he looks in a mirror. Kim Woo Seok explained, “When you look in the mirror, it’s like you’re fretting about something or checking something. Since I spend a lot of time in a made-up state, I end up not looking in a mirror when I’m at home. When I’m at home, my appearance is one that only I know. I like that. Everyone is probably the same way. My face is one that I know the best, so I have no reason to look in the mirror.”

He went on, “The first thing I have to do when I get my makeup and hair done is sit in front of a mirror, so I have no choice but to begin my work by looking at my face. When I’m working, I look at a monitor screen much more often than a mirror. Whenever I film a drama, appear on a music show, or do a photo shoot like this, it’s a cycle of checking myself on the screen and reworking things to get a better result. The final product that people see is the result of the screen, not the mirror.”

Kim Woo Seok then made a poignant comparison as he said that the person he sees in the mirror is him looking at himself, while the person on the screen is the person he wants to show to everyone else.

Kim-Woo-Seok.jpg

Kim Woo Seok also shared what he found difficult about his role in “Bulgasal.” “My character has quite a bright personality, but I’m not really like that,” he admitted. “Although, as the drama continues he becomes more of a pained character. I worried a lot about how to win over the viewers, and it was tough. Now that I think of it, I feel quite a bit of sadness. At first, I couldn’t completely understand who Do Yoon was. It was only during the final stage of filming that I was able to truly understand his feelings. However, I don’t have any regrets. We finished filming safely, and I grew and learned a lot thanks to such a precious experience.”

He also shared how he felt changing up his usual appearance for the drama. “My ‘image’ is what people want to see when they look at me. It’s a supposition, an expectation, and a wish. If I break out of that appearance, I’ll hear that I’m escaping my ‘image.’ I’m not someone who’s afraid of that,” he said. “I know that I’m escaping that image when my face is bloody or a little ugly, but I’m fine with it. It’s nice to be safely inside my soft and pretty image, but I’m also not afraid of breaking out of it.”

When asked how he finds a balance between his different images, Kim Woo Seok responded, “It’s important to find the happy medium between the ‘Kim Woo Seok’ that I want and the ‘Kim Woo Seok’ that the public wants. If I’m living out the image that the public wants and the opportunity comes along to break that image through a production or a photo shoot, I’ll happily do so. I’m open to everything.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1523460wpp/kim-woo-seok-opens-up-about-how-he-views-himself-his-role-in-bulgasal-and-more

• 5 months later...

This is  one of my favorites dramas, the actors did an amazing job portraying their respective roles and the OSTs... So far I am listening to some of them on my playlist :wub:

Hope there will be another chance to see Lee Jin Wook and Know Nara in a drama ^_^

• 2 months later...

[2022 Year in Review] Editors’ Picks

by DB Staff

editorspicks_2022.png

One of our favorite features at Dramabeans is our annual Editors’ Picks, which is the product of much voting, deep internal debate, hand-wringing – and of course, fangirling.

For some categories, the winner was abundantly clear. For others, it was a really close call. And for others yet, it was an unbreakable tie. So, rather than break any hearts while trying to break said tie, you’ll see we have two winners in the Best Romance category this year. Enjoy the post, and may 2023 be good to us all!

2022 Editors’ Picks

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY/ART DIRECTION

Bulgasal: Immortal Souls

EP_art.jpg

solstices: It was a bold choice for the show to launch into an extended backstory with only a brief cold open to pique our interest, but it was a gamble that paid off, aided by its skillful cinematography. From the outset, the show utilized its outdoors setting to the utmost, taking advantage of the natural topography to create breathtakingly picturesque scenes. Through its rich colors and haunting aesthetic, Bulgasal: Immortal Souls elevated its ambitious world-building, immersing viewers into its intricate lore and complex tale of karma. It felt like I was watching a historical fantasy epic, making me wish we stayed in the past even just a few episodes longer.

The show built up a creeping sense of dread through its use of slow pans and sweeping wide shots, as well as a suffocating tension through shadows and camera angles that don’t show the whole picture, but reveal just enough for you to draw your own inferences. Bulgasal: Immortal Souls is an example of a big budget used well — the monsters were appallingly grotesque, created with believable CGI and detailed special effects makeup that must have been painstakingly crafted. Even in the present timeline, inevitably constrained by rigid architecture and reduced grandeur, the show managed to maintain its vivid storytelling through artistic lighting and symbolic framing. Not only was Bulgasal an entertaining watch, but it was also a downright gorgeous one.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/12/2022-year-in-review-editors-picks/

• Like 1

[2022 Year in Review] Guilty as charged

by solstices

In a year inundated with legal dramas, I’m actually surprised I didn’t watch that many despite my interest in criminal law. Perhaps that can be attributed to how many of these dramas simply use the courtroom as a tried-and-true (but decidedly trite) method of engineering conflict, or maybe it’s simply the oversaturation of lawyers that dulled their appeal. Or perhaps it’s because this was the year I finally got around to playing The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, which was such a profoundly phenomenal blend of investigating and lawyering that it put many dramaland offerings to shame. (If you want an intricate mystery with lovable characters, quirky humor, and a thought-provoking emotional core, this game’s for you.)

Still, if I were to sum up my drama-watching year of 2022, a courtroom analogy seems like the most fitting way to do it. Juggling university and writing for Dramabeans meant that I often had precious little free time, pushing me to be a lot more critical of the media I consume (and a lot more ruthless in dropping shows that just weren’t satisfying). Just like a prosecutor picking apart deceitful alibis, I found myself poking holes into lackluster plots. One-dimensional characters could barely hold my interest for long, and I was quick to tire of subpar acting.

Yet on the other hand, I couldn’t help but defend certain dramas for their merits, too. Perhaps it’s my inclination to view things with a charitable lens, or perhaps it’s simply my fondness for K-dramas as a storytelling medium that propels me to give them the benefit of the doubt. Either way, I found that many dramas lingered in my mind for their memorable highs rather than the low points where they faltered.

And so, without further ado — the game is afoot! What reprehensible crimes have this year’s K-dramas committed, and do they deserve to be condemned to the gallows? Time for the verdicts, served up with a side of my favorite quotes from The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

Bulgasal: Immortal Souls

yir_bulgasal.jpg

Crime: Serving up an epic tragedy that could’ve been a drama of its own

This show certainly isn’t without its faults, but it was such an enjoyable ride! From its breathtaking cinematography to its immersive world-building, Bulgasal: Immortal Souls delivered so many narratively satisfying layers of irony. Do-yoon betraying his father figure and the rest of his found family, all supposedly for the sake of his sickly older brother? Hwal bemoaning the curses that tormented those he deeply cared for, only to realize that he had a hand in it all along? Eul-tae craving companionship and understanding, when he was the one who drove everyone away with his own deceitful scheming? So, so good.

Objection! I’d gladly have watched another ten episodes of that larger-than-life Goryeo backstory, but once we settled into the present timeline, I grew to love it, too. The found family trope gets me in the heart every time! Gong Seung-yeon’s feisty courage made Shi-ho one of my favorite characters, and Kim Woo-seok won me over as little Do-yoon the moment he appeared onscreen with his adorably plaintive eyes and sheepish smile. Of course, I can’t leave out Lee Joon’s brilliantly nuanced portrayal of Eul-tae, with his extravagantly vibrant suits that were equal parts ridiculous and impressive.

Verdict: Guilty, but it worked so well within the wider narrative, too!

TGAAC quote: “May you feel the jaws of the beast at your throat every time you swallow.”

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/12/2022-year-in-review-guilty-as-charged/

• 2 weeks later...

Soompi Forum Awards: Poll #3 - The Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022.

kdr7sTk.gif

Dear Chingus, Vote for the Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022!

re: Your  friendly, neighbourhood EO Team: 

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl