[Drama 2021/2022] Immortality/ Bulgasal: Immortal Souls, 불가살

larus

13 hours ago, RobinM said:

Actually it’s perfect. They need to be completely shed of the horrors of the past, monsters and guilt. To be Just humans with the ability to live here and now in the moment. The love that was always there but always thwarted is still the same but now they can have their own family one day and that’s so special. 

At least they didn't give as a second Gu Family Book or Goblin (awful endings). They were both reincarnated and given another chance at life. A proper life at last, TOGETHER as humans.

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

I think I am a part of some viewers who are not too satisfied with the closure and got a mixed feeling about that. For me it’s a bitter sweet ending. On a side note, the ending is definitely better than Red sleeve & Snow drop which I don’t watch but I heard!

First of all, I am as a viewer have been a witness how tough both of our main lead journey throughout their current life. Dan Hwal was abandoned by his real father & hated by people surround him since He was born. He didn’t know how it feels to be loved and He also always has this mindset that He doesn’t deserve to be loved.

After that Sang Woon came, a woman who lost Her mother and older sister and need to be on escaping mode on her entire life. 

Both of our heroes have thrown their self into the endless battle. Dan Hwal saved Sang Woon from each monster that come one by one and occasionally Sang Woon did the same when the situation flips on the table. Slowly hate became love. A lot of times, He experienced trembling heart when He was with Sang Woon, something He had never had before. Look at how cute Hwal behaved after He realized someone fall in love with him just the way who He is!

One consoled another one when He/She was on his/her lowest point. One reminded another one when He/She was not on his/her right mind. Now after all the tiring efforts, tears and promises between each other …in the end, the writers just killed off our hero’s characters. What kind of moral story can I achieve from this? Their efforts in the end are useless.

Maybe when I watch a show with many episodes, I am a type who stick to principle: there should be a rainbow after raining. So I want to see them get their justice on present time as Dan Hwal and Min sang Woon, not as others.

The justice should not be perfect but it should be there. Take a look at My Love from The Star. Do Min Joon is not a human after all.

After the writers taking dumps here and there and can’t come with a great idea and making a shortcut closure by forcing one of the Hero to SUICIDE after all those endless hardship…for me that’s so immoral.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Bulgasal: Immortal Souls: Episodes 15-16 Open Thread (Final)

by missvictrix

Welp, it’s over! And although we’re left with some lingering questions, the story came full circle in a satisfying way as we learn not only about the dawn of our tale, but how the fate amongst our characters is brought to a close. The story opened with bloodshed, hate, and mercy… and it ends on much the same.

EPISODES 15-16 WEECAP

As much as I was dying to find out the conclusion of our story, I almost didn’t want to watch the finale. I have really enjoyed floating this crazy story for the last two months, and I’m genuinely sorry to say goodbye to it. But also, it was high time all the fragments came together. We’ve been seeing them for so long, and in so many different flashbacks, that it was amazing to me how once the drama just let them play out instead of breaking them up, everything came together.

But before we get to all that history, which opens the final episode, Hwal and Sang-eon have a lot of talking and planning to do. Even if Hwal can’t yet remember the 1,000-year story line, he remembers the 600-year one all too well, and he knows instinctively that the story began — and will end — on that fateful mountain where the bulgasal once lived.

He and Sang-eon go there to jog her memory and figure out a game plan, and scene after scene confirms how close we’re getting to the end. The nearer Hwal gets to the mountain where it all began, the more people from the past keep echoing around him — dang, the drama does this so well. I feel Hwal’s recognition of people right in the pit of my stomach with him, and what makes this even more fabulous is that we’ll soon see how this signifies in his own lifeline.

Another sure-fire sign that we’re at the pinnacle of everything is that both Hwal and Sang-eon are ready to sacrifice themselves for the other. Sang-eon has a particularly wild moment where she tells Hwal she thought she liked him, but it’s so much more than that — that if he were to die, it would be like half of herself was also dying. It’s beautiful and poetic… and sounds an awful lot like the mythology of two bulgasal whose lives are tied to the other, eh?

Sang-eon is unwilling to lose Hwal, but she’s more than willing to slit her own throat and give Hwal his soul back. But returning everything to its original place, like she wants, is not quite as simple as it sounds.

While Sang-eon’s come to the realization that her life is tied irrevocably to Hwal, Hwal has a similar moment where he says, “All my life I’ve only thought about you.” It’s swoony as can be, but it also lands one of my favorite emotional points of the show, which is how Hwal’s obsession with Sang-eon, over the centuries, has teetered the line between love and hate. We watched him hunt her for 600 years for his revenge, and now we see him willing to lose everything to protect her. I think the best part of this, that will later feed all the backstory, is that the bottom line is how he’s drawn to her. Sometimes it’s because of resentment, sometimes it’s the desire to find her and protect her, but he’s always drawn to her.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/02/bulgasal-immortal-souls-episodes-15-16-open-thread-final/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, illay said:

Give us the deleted scenes!!!

I don't think the romance scenes were necessary at the end, it was heavily hinted that they were getting an happy ending.

It's way before they died that the romantic arc should have been more and better developed. There was so much potential and I'm quite disappointed about that. I get they went for the slow budding romance, and I don't mind that at all, but the excruciating wait should be rewarded. 

Well, they waited the 16th episode to reveal the whole picture. In the meanwhile they could've given us more romantic crumbs. :(

On a lighter note, I rewatched episode 15 and I couldn't help a chuckle when they "confessed" their feelings to each other. First, SW told him she'd lose half of herself if he died and then later he said that for him it wasn't just half but all of him who'd feel lost. I was like: Is this a competition of who loves the other more ? :D

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Hwal and Sangun

I can only see them as Bulgasals who walk peacefully through time and infinite space.

them back beeing bulgasals ...i think i would have like it more...back to the right place as her sister said

6 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Eul Tae

I wanted him to live as a human for the next 1000 years and to do only good deeds

AWESOME I like your idea

• Like 4

“Bulgasal” And Its Stars Sweep Most Buzzworthy Drama And Actor Rankings In Final Week

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 8, 2022
by E. Cha

In its final week on air, tvN’s “Bulgasal” dominated the rankings of the most buzzworthy dramas and cast members!

For the first week of February, “Bulgasal” rose to No. 1 on Good Data Corporation’s weekly list of the dramas that generated the most buzz. The company determines each week’s rankings by collecting data from news articles, blog posts, online communities, videos, and social media about dramas that are either currently airing or set to air soon.

Not only did “Bulgasal” top the list of most buzzworthy dramas, but its stars also continued to dominate the actor list this week: Lee Joon came in at No. 1, Lee Jin Wook at No. 2, Kwon Nara at No. 6, and Gong Seung Yeon at No. 8.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz in the first week of February are as follows:

1. tvN “Bulgasal”
  2. KBS2 “Young Lady and Gentleman”
  3. SBS “Through the Darkness”
  4. tvN “Ghost Doctor”
  5. JTBC “Artificial City”
  6. MBC “Tracer”
  7. MBC “The Second Husband
  8. KBS2 “Moonshine
  9. tvN “Twenty-Five, Twenty One”
  10. tvN “Work Later, Drink Now”

Meanwhile, the top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz this week are as follows:

1. Lee Joon (“Bulgasal”)
  2. Lee Jin Wook (“Bulgasal”)
  3. Ji Hyun Woo (“Young Lady and Gentleman”)
  4. Lee Se Hee (“Young Lady and Gentleman”)
  5. Soo Ae (“Artificial City”)
  6. Kwon Nara (“Bulgasal”)
  7. Kim Bum (“Ghost Doctor”)
  8. Gong Seung Yeon (“Bulgasal”)
  9. Rain (“Ghost Doctor”)
  10. Lee Jong Won (“Young Lady and Gentleman”)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1512073wpp/bulgasal-and-its-stars-sweep-most-buzzworthy-drama-and-actor-rankings-in-final-week

• Like 9

I'm looking for this background song. It's been featured in the drama many times, but I can't seem to find the sound anywhere. It's sung by a male singer. It goes like this

"...

My heart is breaking down slowly

There's nothing i can do anymore"

• Like 3

On 2/9/2022 at 12:27 AM, spartania said:

I don't think the romance scenes were necessary at the end, it was heavily hinted that they were getting an happy ending.

but real action will be better than letting the viewers imagine it :D

It's way before they died that the romantic arc should have been more and better developed. There was so much potential and I'm quite disappointed about that. I get they went for the slow budding romance, and I don't mind that at all, but the excruciating wait should be rewarded

Well, they waited the 16th episode to reveal the whole picture. In the meanwhile they could've given us more romantic crumbs:(

exactly!

On a lighter note, I rewatched episode 15 and I couldn't help a chuckle when they "confessed" their feelings to each other. First, SW told him she'd lose half of herself if he died and then later he said that for him it wasn't just half but all of him who'd feel lost. I was like: Is this a competition of who loves the other more ? :D

I also love both scenes, but my greedy self wish Hwal would closure it with one word: sarangheyo before He perished. I think it will be so much  much sweeter :wub:

Oh..so the song is used in many dramas. No wonder it's not included as part of the OST.

• Like 5

Well, that was... interesting.

I can't say that it's the greatest drama that I've ever seen. But there was something about it. It was really very interesting.

How much you like this drama will depend largely on whether you find the big overarching story profound - that Hwal was in a hell of his own making for 1000 years due to cursing others and being jealous and possessive. So he finally learns his lesson and atones, and is reborn as a human who can enjoy ordinary pleasures of a normal person.

Hrm-kay... Honestly, the story is pretty interesting, and the show did a good job keeping the viewers guessing and coming up with theories. But they definitely dragged it out and I'm not sure it completely worked all the time.

Well, there were many things to enjoy about the drama, and two of the biggest factors are (1) LEE JOON and his magical charisma. I am really just digging everything about him now, and have been spending time watching him on youtube. Aside from being an amazing actor, he is a hilarious talk show guest!

(2) Visually cool! The first episode in particular was just spectacular and cinematic. And there was this freaky vibe that I felt was really unique.

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1

11 hours ago, illay said:

but real action will be better than letting the viewers imagine it :D

11 hours ago, illay said:

I also love both scenes, but my greedy self wish Hwal would closure it with one word: sarangheyo before He perished. I think it will be so much  much sweeter :wub:

I really cannot disagree with you! :D

• Like 3

Blood, Revenge, And Found Family: 5 Reasons To Watch “Bulgasal”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 11, 2022
by shalini

This past weekend saw “Bulgasal” tvN’s latest fantasy outing, come to an end. This show was expected to be a derivative version of “Goblin” but quickly managed to distinguish itself by building a thrilling tale of a man driven by revenge to seek out the woman who took everything from him 600 years ago. There are monsters, mayhem, and a surprising ton of heart.

If you’re debating on giving this drama a shot, read on for five reasons on why you should!

Note: this is a spoiler-free review!

1. The monsters

“Bulgasal” places spotlight on several monsters from Korean folklore that haven’t previously gotten much airtime. There’s the geuseunsae, who kills people on rainy days and collects their umbrellas as trophies; there’s the gapsangoe, who’s a pyromaniac and delights on setting things and people on fire. There’s also teoreokson, the monster of Yongsan River who stores corpses in the water. We see these beings as they evolve over time, going from monster to being loosely veiled in the guise of man. It’s a fascinating idea that these ancient predators can morph into seemingly benign people, some even unaware of their own monstrous beginnings. It also makes it all the harder for our hero, Dan Hwal (Lee Jin Wook), and heroine, Min Sang Woon (Kwon Nara), to hunt them down because our main duo is also being hunted.

2. The villain

2594b5695b2b77005d4e70eabf9f4c14ba55fd1a

Lee Joon is back! And in what fine form! Ok Eul Tae (Lee Joon) is a menacing being to monster who seems to lack remorse but possesses intelligence, wealth, and power in spades. However, Lee Joon imbues him with a level of humanity that’s surprisingly easy to feel for. His grief and suffering are so palpable that it’s hard to hate him even when you know he’s about to kill someone again.

As someone who has lived a long, long time, Ok Eul Tae has seen friends, foes, and family reincarnate over and over again. Thus, he finds it difficult to see death as a wrong and sees it more as a temporary condition that he’s putting someone in. It’s pretty difficult to dislike that perspective even though his actions are objectively wrong.

• Like 5

It's Saturday.  There is no more Bulgasal.  I keep wanting to see a proper ending for our drama.   But we didn't get one.  <_<  I was prepared for a sad ending or a bad ending but I wasn't ready for an ending that failed to answer all the many open questions and, worse, an ending that didn't give us a sweet scene.  I'm gonna go pout now.  

• Unamused 1
  • Sad 4

Watch: Lee Jin Wook, Kwon Nara, Lee Joon, Gong Seung Yeon, And Kim Woo Seok Share Closing Comments On “Bulgasal”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 13, 2022
by C. Hong

tvN released a behind-the-scenes video of the last two episodes of “Bulgasal”!

The final behind-the-scenes video begins with Lee Jin Wook adjusting his eyepatch as Kwon Nara looks on with a smile. He worries that it looks strange and says, “I can’t see at all. It’s distorting my sense of perspective.” Later, he and Kwon Nara come up with wild ideas to extend the script so that they can continue filming for a little longer.

In another scene, Lee Joon shares, “I went to a restaurant to eat while in full makeup with fake blood. Everyone avoided me, but Jin Wook hyung sat in front of me.” Gong Seung Yeon, Kim Woo Seok, Lee Jin Wook, and Kwon Nara film their emotional last scenes, but embrace and laugh warmly once the director yells “Cut” and the filming has ended.

In interviews, Kim Woo Seok said, “Over this long period of time, there has been lots of laughter and lots of tears. I remember having a lot of fun filming, and I’m grateful to have learned so much. I will watch the drama feeling honored and grateful for what I’ve learned.”

Gong Seung Yeon said, “I was so happy every day just coming on set. I filmed while receiving so much love from the production staff, so I have even bigger regrets about saying good-bye. It was such a fun experience that now the day has come, I feel restless. Thank you to everyone who loved ‘Bulgasal’ and Si Ho.”

Lee Joon said, “I don’t know what to say. It’s a project that made me really feel the limit of my emotions. As an actor, I had wondered if I could express such broad emotions, so this was a major and memorable project for me. I’m very grateful for it, and though it was difficult and hard and challenging, more than that, I want to say that it made me happy.”

Kwon Nara said, “Filming is now over. I feel regrets, but I also feel refreshed. The director and production staff worked really hard to film for these past 10 months. ‘Bulgasal’ will remain in my memories as a warm project for which I was very grateful. It was a cold winter, so I hope this will remain with viewers as a warm project too.”

Lee Jin Wook said, “Today is the last day of a very long filming process. The season has changed back to winter. We started in winter and moved through spring, summer, and fall, and now we’re back in winter. It was very long, but a very fun process and we were able to complete it safely. Under the direction of director Jang Young Woo, it was a smooth and fun process.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1512768wpp/watch-lee-jin-wook-kwon-nara-lee-joon-gong-seung-yeon-and-kim-woo-seok-share-closing-comments-on-bulgasal

• Like 4

On 2/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, thistle said:

It's Saturday.  There is no more Bulgasal.  I keep wanting to see a proper ending for our drama.   But we didn't get one.  <_<  I was prepared for a sad ending or a bad ending but I wasn't ready for an ending that failed to answer all the many open questions and, worse, an ending that didn't give us a sweet scene.  I'm gonna go pout now.  

I feel you. I still can't get over this drama. I rewatched a few episodes and I keep growing mad about how seriously unfair is the whole story on behalf of SW.

I mean, she spent her whole life running for her life because of monsters and bulgasals. And when she finally fall in love, the guy kills himself in front of her. It's not so bad she died too (even if he makes me bawl my eyes out everytime I watch the scene).

I'm not even gonna talk about the 600 years, she kept being repeatedly reincarnated and killed. Also, a good thing she had no memories of her past lives.

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 1