[Movie] Concrete Utopia, 콘크리트 유토피아 - Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young

Ephoenix

December 6, 2023

IT’S CHUNGMURO TIME IN OTT!! 
   praise_good_job.gif Kim Young-tak and Kim Gyu Pyung! 

CONCRETE UTOPIA topped the daily OTT rankings for December 7 in Korea. It has been released only few days ago on Netflix Korea. 
THE MAN STANDING NEXT ranked #6, and has been steadily staying at top 10 for the past few weeks. Influenced by the story in the movie ‘Seoul Spring’, which is currently running in theaters, and causing a great box office success, audiences, mostly younger generations are showing great interest in that specific part of the modern Korean history.

If anyone’s interested, Seoul Spring (12.12 The Day) revolves around the aftermath of President Park’s assassination in Oct 1979, and focus on that 9 hour period of time on December 12, 1979, where military commander Chun Doo Hwan staged a coup with his officers and ordered martial law, to begin another long military dictatorship in Korea after president Park. In this case, TMSN is considered a prequel, and 1987: The day comes as sequel, and have been trending on OTT for the past few weeks. 

231207 integration

source: OTTranking 

December 13, 2023 

Latest Overseas TOP CRITICS reviews on Concrete Utopia after the release in US and Canada on December 8, 2023.  

Screenshot-20231213-200022-Chrome.jpg

Peter Rayener (KPCC-NPR Los Angeles) 

It's a powerful movie, very well-made, and  well-directed with the contemporary resonance.

Carlos Aguilar - Los Angeles Times
Though the humor and acting in <Concrete Utopia> can occasionally feel broad, Lee Byung-hun's visceral monstrous performance grounds a high stakes drama. 

Katie Life - IGN Movies
This polished, character-driven drama is a whole lot of movie, in both good and bad ways. Original score: 7/10. 

Christian Zilko - indieWire
While this film lacks the originality of many of the films it has attempted to emulate, it's still a solidly crafted reminder of the absurdly tragic fate that our current housing system appears to be guiding us towards. Original score: B 

Monica Castillo - RogerEbert.com
<Concrete Utopia> is more ambitious than it's execution, but nonetheless sustains its suspense with an emotional journey into the depths of what scarcity can do to humanity. Original score: 2.5/4 

Nick Schagger - The Daily Beast
The film's lack of originality is atleast offset by its gripping depiction of intolerance and exclusion as impediments to survival. 

Jennette Catsoulis - New York Times
Shot through shards of dark humor, Concrete Utopia observes how quickly we dehumanize the needy when they threaten our survival, and asks if we can be blamed for doing so. 

Ross McIndo - Slant Magazine
This Darkly comic and constantly revealing tale suggests that, without the 4 walls around us to prop them up, most of our morals would crumble into dust. Original score: 3/4

Owen Gleiberman - Variety
It's a fractious, blood-soaked drama about the will to survive that feels like <The Great Earthquake> and <Lord of the Flies>. What's gripping is that you watch it and think, "If I were in this movie, what would I do?"

Shirley Lee - The Atlantic
"Concrete Utopia" traces familiar themes of class warfare (think "Snowpiercer" set in a building), but sets itself apart with impressive production design, inventive set pieces, and an ensemble of memorable characters. 

Candice Frederick - Huffington Post
<Concrete Utopia> remains disturbingly and crushingly human.

CONCRETE UTOPIA Interview with Director Um Tae-hwa and Actor Lee Byung-hun 

Another interview for Deadline The Contenders. Here 

December 20, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA has been nominated for The Best International Feature at The 7th Astra Awards, previously called Hollywood Creative Alliance (HCA). The 2024 Astra Awards will take place in Los Angeles, on January 6, 2024. 

Congratulations and All the best, ConU!!! 

20231216-131644.jpg

Source: HollywoodCreative 

December 22, 2023 

Director Uhm Tae-hwa's "Concrete Utopia" did not make it to the Oscar shortlist for Best international feature at the 96th Academy Awards. 

0003796504_001_20231222145301177.jpg?type=w430

Director Uhm Tae-hwa's film "Concrete Utopia" did not make it to the Oscar shortlist in the International Feature Film Award at the U.S. Academy Awards. 
On the 22nd (local time), the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) announced a list of potential nominees for the 96th Academy Awards.
It did not include "Concrete Utopia," which was submitted to the International Feature Film Awards on behalf of Korea. 

Source: naver 

• 1 month later...

February 5, 2024

5 Nominations for CONCRETE UTOPIA at the 22nd Director’s Cut Awards

0003328606_001_20240206113601302.jpg?type=w430

Concrete Utopia has been nominated in 5 categories at The 22nd Director’s Cut Awards. The award show is hosted by DGK(Korean Film Director’s Association), and will be held on March 7, 2024. 

Lists of nominations for Concrete Utopia:

• Best Director - Uhm Tae Hwa 
  • Best Screenplay - Lee Shin Je and Uhm Tae Hwa 
  • Best Actor Award - Lee Byung Hun 
  • Best Actress Award - Kim Sun Young 
  • Best New Actress - Kim Ye Shin

All the best, Con Uz!! :star:

Source: Naver 

March 7, 2024 

Congratulations, Best Actor and Best Actress Lee Byung Hun and Kim Sun Young!!!! 

Both Lee Byung Hun and Kim Sun Young won Best Actor and Best Actress respectively for Concrete Utopia at the 22nd Director’s Cut Awards. Huge congratulations to both of them!!! Our Best Actor and Best Actress, Yeoreobun!!! ❤️‍🔥

img.gif

It was mentioned that the Actors who showed best performance of the year, was selected by Korean Film Directors themselves through voting. 

This year’s Director’s Cut Awards unlike their previous ceremonies was held privately with about 150 people, including DGK’s (Korean Film Director’s Association) representative Directors and associate members in attendance. Unlike the previous years of holding the ceremony through live broadcasts, it was held privately this year with a sole intention to recreate the feel of early days of Cinema, when everyone supported and encouraged each other. It was said that the videos of the event will be released on their official YouTube channel after the ceremony.

• 1 month later...

April 8, 2024 

Concrete Utopia has been nominated in 4 categories for the 60th Baeksang Arts Awards. 

april-2024-04-08-06-08-12-373.jpg

• Best Film 
  • Best Director - Uhm Tae-hwa 
  • Best Actor - Lee Byung-hun 
  • Best Suporting Actress - Kim Sun-young 

The award ceremony will be held on May 7, 2024, and will be broadcast live on jtbc.

ALL THE BEST, CON-UZZ!!! 🫶💯🙏

Source: Baeksang IG 

Naver 

• 4 months later...

August 9, 2024 

APARTMENT BELONGS TO THE RESIDENTS!! 🔊 

HAPPY 1ST ANNIVERSARY TO CONCRETE UTOPIA!!●○~  

20240808-170439.jpg

📸 Director Uhm Tae-hwa IG 

I can't believe it's already been a year. I miss the feelings and memories of waiting, promoting, and watching this movie countless times, and I wish I could experience this movie again like it's the first time without knowing anything at all.

Happy anniversary to this wonderful movie and our dear ConUz of Hwanggung apartment.🎉💜

20230726-210156.jpg

August 15, 2024 

Concrete Utopia meets Twisters! 🌪🏢

[Cine21] ‘Minari’ Director Lee Isaac Chung briefly mentioned Lee Byung Hun during his ‘Masters Talk’ interview of his latest blockbuster movie ‘Twisters’ with ‘Concrete Utopia’ Director Uhm Tae Hwa 

I watched Concrete Utopia as well. I wish I could’ve seen it in the movie theater. I found it to be very thought provoking. I thought it was so intelligently done. I also thought the acting is really incredible. I have been a big fan of Lee Byung hun and I think this is one of the best performances I’ve seen of his as well. So I feel you really did a wonderful work with that, and it also felt like a human story, and it was wonderful, too.” 

Context in short: Director Lee Isaac Chung is currently in Korea to promote his latest blockbuster movie ’Twisters,’ and he sat down for a face-to-face Master’s Talk with Concrete Utopia Director Uhm Tae Hwa. The two incredible directors talked about each other’s movies, their filming process, and other behind the scenes stories from each other’s  movies. 

april_2024-08-15-16-06-45-351.jpg

Here’ the link: 

https://youtu.be/f3rb2d4Astk?si=1WhRAhQIH6ffpbi5

• Like 1