Bai Yu as Luo Fei
You Jing Ru as Qin Xiaman
Ji Chen as Ben Jieming
He Tongsheng as Supt. Sha Wei
Dong Weijia as Wong Susu
Zhang Yi as Ye Changqing
Chen Mengqi as Hua Mensi

Synopsis:

Shanghai in the 30s: An intriguing crime case emerges amidst the bustling city. Qin Xiaoman (Una You Jingru) who goes to Shanghai after graduating from the police academy. She hopes one day to become a top notch detective and moves into an apartment that happens to be beside where a famously skilled detective named Luo Fei (Bai Yu) stays.

Due to their opposing personalities, Qin Xiaoman and Luo Fei find themselves clashing with each other but ultimately end up working together to solve cases that the police can't handle alone.

Cr mydramalist

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Detective L 绅探 English Subbed Episodes

Detective L 绅探 Raw Episodes

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to SoompiSupport

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Had to dig this one out of Page 3! I'm surprised this hasn't been more popular.

Anyhow, I've started watching this. Has potential... loads of fun. The leads aren't bad together.

Right. I'm on the 6th story and each story last for 3 episodes. Pretty good story and the lead seems to be very intelligent. His body action is quite similar to Jack Sparrow, very eccentric and funny.

One more thing about this show is, the scenes are looking very beautiful.

9 hours ago, ahpig said:

Right. I'm on the 6th story and each story last for 3 episodes. Pretty good story and the lead seems to be very intelligent. His body action is quite similar to Jack Sparrow, very eccentric and funny.

One more thing about this show is, the scenes are looking very beautiful.

Yes, very well shot. Loving the Sherlock parallels too. Shanghai is a good choice. Nice old European worldly feel.

Bit surprised that not more people are watching it for Bai Yu at least since Guardian was quite popular.  Guardian was a hard slog half way through. Interesting concept but not well executed. This is so far a superior product.

I'm on episode 5... which reminds me of the third episode of S1 of Sherlock which was vaguely patterned after the canonical Dancing Men and Five Orange Pips. This second story of Detective L has definitely taken a leaf out of The Five Orange Pips.

This is a genuinely excellent drama. I'm surprised there haven't been too many takers on Soompi. It's arguably one of the best C dramas I've seen and definitely one of the best in the genre. It's up there with the first and third Dr Qin series. And I have enormous regard for those two. 

I thought Bai Yu was a decent enough performer in Guardian... probably somewhat overshadowed by Zhu Yilong in that... but here, wow... he comes into his own. He is absolutely pulling out all the stops as Luo Fei. I love him here. And of course his chemistry with the lead actress is right down adorable. His Sherlock isn't canonical but manages to take a leaf or two out of Cumberbatch's great detective.

Xiao Man is wonderful. I love her to death. Her energy, her intelligence and her wit is a joy to witness. The commitment she demonstrates to get her men... and occasionally, women is delightful.

The budding romance between the leads is to die for. I am sorry to hear that nothing overt develops. But watching them give each other secret adoring looks is frustrating the heck out of me. Kiss already... idiot! Or at the very least stop pretending to be indifferent by being insulting. Hilarious how everyone knows how much LF cares about XM. I really enjoyed that moment in Episode Episode 19 when the lecherous Wang Dashan tries to lay his hands on XM and LF saunters to the rescue. WDS says something to the effect of... "What, is that your woman?" And LF doesn't even deny it. :P Also amusing is the fact that LF keeps saying that he doesn't work with anyone and he drags XM everywhere with him. ;)

Story No. 7 was good. Loads of fun. Very Agatha Christie-like. Which is probably why I figured out the whole thing even before the second episode of that arc. :P

Even though this ended in a Reichenbach Fall style cliffhanger, I grew quite fond of it overall. I'm expecting a S2 because there is no way this show doesn't get a second series after all the build up. ;) (Famous last words)

Over the course of the drama I changed my mind about the romance. Of course I loved it and would have greedily taken more than what we got. But I think at the end of the day what we got was good and fitted in well with who they were as individuals and what they were trying to accomplish in the various cases. Any more it would probably have shifted the balance of the drama and taken the eye off the ball. By the end of Episode 24, they were both confident (and secure) enough in their relationship that they knew how the other felt symbolized by the quick exchange on the bridge. This romance unlike many was formed and grounded in this common deep passion to get to the bottom of things.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived