[Drama 2018] The Undateables / Handsome Guy and Jung Eum 훈남정음

Admin

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ashbelle said:

Interesting..The new lady would complicate things..he he..Can't wait..:D

Jealousy is on the way :D:D

I hope there will be 2 eps at least tonight....... can't wait to see our baby-like love guru falling for her & vice versa. :wub::wub:

I finally got time to watch the first 2 episodes, and i have to say hwang jung eum did it again, i was totally hooked after the first episode, and was during the first episode thinking how nice it is to have HJU back in dramaland i really missed her. I saw in a article that she got critisim for her acting, and i have to say i don't recognise this critism at all, i totally enjoyed watching her character, and made it funny and relatable at the same time

This series has a way of presenting already tried and tested trope in a way that is still entertaining to watch. But do they really have to do the bet cliche? For some reason, the writer thought putting every known romance trope is a good thing. I’m not happy about this though. I prefer the storyline sticking to the main character’s mission of ‘making the undateables dataeble.’ The first case was a good one and they should have gone through an episodic route rather the I’ll-bet-I-can-seduce-her plot. Despite this unwanted addition, I’ll still be cautiously optimistic that the story will still be saved by the appealing characters.

https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/06/15/k-drama-reaction-the-undateables-episodes-11-12/

2 hours ago, mxxella said:

This series has a way of presenting already tried and tested trope in a way that is still entertaining to watch. But do they really have to do the bet cliche? For some reason, the writer thought putting every known romance trope is a good thing. I’m not happy about this though. I prefer the storyline sticking to the main character’s mission of ‘making the undateables dataeble.’ The first case was a good one and they should have gone through an episodic route rather the I’ll-bet-I-can-seduce-her plot. Despite this unwanted addition, I’ll still be cautiously optimistic that the story will still be saved by the appealing characters.

https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/06/15/k-drama-reaction-the-undateables-episodes-11-12/

Yes, the dating bet was pretty annoying and probably one of the reasons i haven't watched the latest episode yet. Hopefully today's episode doesn't annoy the bejeezus out of me.

18 hours ago, V said:

Yes, the dating bet was pretty annoying and probably one of the reasons i haven't watched the latest episode yet. Hopefully today's episode doesn't annoy the bejeezus out of me.

I just watched the latest episodes and I tell you, you will forget this betting game quickly and would want some more! Noooo! Another week to wait!!!!! I'm turning into stone here, ya know!<_<:(

11 hours ago, mary-ann said:

I finally got time to watch the first 2 episodes, and i have to say hwang jung eum did it again, i was totally hooked after the first episode, and was during the first episode thinking how nice it is to have HJU back in dramaland i really missed her. I saw in a article that she got critisim for her acting, and i have to say i don't recognise this critism at all, i totally enjoyed watching her character, and made it funny and relatable at the same time

Yes....I truly agree with you.. I too have seen people criticize Hwang Jung Eum over the net. And yes, the plot is very simple & the ratings are low. But it's nothing to do with her. I mean, she isn't the only one acting in the drama, right? (There are some male & female actors in the drama who annoy me to the extend.) Hwang Jung Eum is a very talented, great and energetic actress. :) It's her choice whether to do same roles or different roles. And I think she's doing a great job in here. :D

Also I Need to comment about Hwang Jung Eum's beauty. Otherwise it would be unfair. There was a scene in the yesterday's episode where she's wearing a plain green dress.....just look at her. I mean,....her perfect body shape, curves and all are beautifully portrayed in that simple dress :wub: How can someone be this beautiful with a simple dress? Only Hwang Jung Eum can. (Wish there was a romantic scene in that dress) :) She is 5 yrs older than me. So I must say her unnie. :o But I say that "Hwang Jung Eum is a perfect girlfriend for a handsome guy" :wub: Good luck Hwang Jung Eum :lol: I am your newest & biggest fan from Sri Lanka. :D:wub::):lol:

Ep. Original broadcast date Average audience share
TNmS[19] AGB Nielsen[20]
Nationwide Seoul Nationwide Seoul
1 May 23, 2018 6.1% (NR) 6.9% 5.3% (NR) 6.1%(15th)
2 5.4% (NR) 6.3% 5.2% (NR)
3 May 24, 2018 6.9% (17th) 7.2% 4.9% (NR) 5.3% (16th)
4 6.0% (NR) 6.3% 5.0% (19th)
5 May 30, 2018 3.9% (NR) 4.0% 3.7% (NR) 3.8% (NR)
6 5.0% (NR) 5.2% 4.5% (NR) 4.7% (NR)
7 May 31, 2018 5.3% (NR) 5.5% 3.9% (NR) 4.1% (NR)
8 5.4% (NR) 5.6% 4.1% (NR) 4.3% (NR)
9 June 6, 2018 3.6% (NR) 3.8% 3.2% (NR) 3.4%(NR)
10 4.3% (NR) 4.5% 3.9% (NR) 4.1% (NR)
11 June 7, 2018     4.1% (NR)  
12     4.4% (NR)  
13 June 14, 2018     3.5% (NR)  

3.6% (NR

The series rating was its highest on 24th and the lowest recorded rating until now was on June 6th.

*This drama has a cliche plot and the presentation is comical.As a rom-com ,it has all the ingredients but the verdict from the ratings say another story.Don't know what's wrong because I enjoy watching it.I wish more people will tune in to watch.

* The second lead syndrome is too strong here.The guy loves her but hasn't confessed to her yet.

1 hour ago, gm4queen said:

too have seen people criticize Hwang Jung Eum over the net. And yes, the plot is very simple & the ratings are low. But it's nothing to do with her. I mean, she isn't the only one acting in the drama, right? (There are some male & female actors in the drama who annoy me to the extend.) Hwang Jung Eum is a very talented, great and energetic actress. :) It's her choice whether to do same roles or different roles. And I think she's doing a great job in here. :D

10 hours ago, mary-ann said:

saw in a article that she got critisim for her acting, and i have to say i don't recognise this critism at all, i totally enjoyed watching her character, and made it funny and relatable at the same time

Yeah..She does the rom com genre really well.All her characters are relatable and her high spirits really catches on.She can convey emotions very well too.She did a fantastic job in the drama secret(a melodrama).She has proved she can do any role perfect to the T.

I don’t care about the ratings!! I simply LOVE this drama! I love the chemistry of the 2 main leads! I don’t understand what’s wrong with Korean viewers - is it because everything appears to move slowly?? I think maybe it’s too realistic ... cos in life sometimes, events can move very slowly ... 

Also, may I please ask uri Chingus here to provide episode analysis?? Thanks!

So, from the last 2 episodes, Episode 13 & 14, it’s more or less confirmed that Hoon Nam & Jung Eum had met each other when they were kids. And of course, the kid who photobombed HN & his Mum’s pic is none other than JE!

I think there’s a connection between both their mothers.

And I REALLY wonder who the girl who used to live with HN could be - I don’t think it’s his ex-GF ... and she’s a SURFER??? 

The 2nd Kiss - was HN REALLY attracted or he just wanted to lure JE to like him and then he’ll dump her???

Now, I really want JE to teach him a lesson, if that 2nd Kiss was fake. BUT, of course he won’t be able to help falling in love with JE ...

I think this drama is also not popular because it’s a romcom acted by older actors. I think the Korean audience prefers romcoms to feature young and SINGLE actors!! 

4 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Hello friends!!!! I need a quick answer.....

Can I upload some stills from my Hoon Nam & Jung Eum MV on this thread? :D I don't know if I am breaking the soompi rules?

Eagerly waiting for your answer..........!!

I am quite new to Soompi but I think you can! Looking forward eagerly to your MV!! 

31 minutes ago, Alice Mendoza said:

I think this drama is also not popular because it’s a romcom acted by older actors. I think the Korean audience prefers romcoms to feature young and SINGLE actors!!

You made a good point there.... but Hwang Jung Eum isn't that old though she is married. The guy who plays the doctor role is also young. Nam Goon Min is 7yrs older than Hwang Jung Eum.!!!!

And how can this drama has low ratings at all? Both the leads are popular......so I don't get it. But I like it so much. :wub: And I think that Jung Eum also is slowly falling for him. Now, the story is on the right track. :D Looking forward to see more.....

38 minutes ago, Alice Mendoza said:

I am quite new to Soompi but I think you can! Looking forward eagerly to your MV!! 

Thank you very much for your comment chingu :) I appreciate it a lot.

Yes...I will soon finish working on my MV....Please look forward :D:lol:

18 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Can I upload some stills from my Hoon Nam & Jung Eum MV on this thread

Me too ,am new here.Guess you can.l'll b waiting!!

Some thoughts:-

-Toys:--The male lead is obsessed with his toy collection.Something to do with his lonely childhood.He had no friends to play.He grows up into a toy collecter/relationship guru/man child.This drama showcases so many toys and even a puppet show.

--The first kiss:- It was sudden and the spark was lit. Major game change-The female lead (Jung eum)initiated the kiss.Something we don't see in k dramas.

-Leads strange association:- They have clearly met when they were children.

-She photobombs his childhood pic with his mother.

-The scene where he stares at her pink bicycle parked nearby.She meets him  again and rides away.

-The tin man.How did Jung eum end up having it?

-In another time frame,Hoon Nam even saw her at the airport being dumped by her boyfriend.He even came up with a theory 'obliviate' based on his encounter.Little did he know that he was gonna meet her again...

Talk about coincidence.We see a lot here.

--Jung eum's trauma with water:--She experiences heavy trauma with water as it reminds of the day she lost her mother.In epi 14 Nam Hoon hugs her and says it's alright.Glad,she had him by her side then.I am waiting for the moment when the swimmer in her awakens.I think Nam Hoon will help her to overcome that phase.

-Undateables:- The face blind girl and the library owner.It was interesting to see our leads working to set them together.The face blind girl could perceive smell and that did it..

Audrey and the farmer:-Love this couple.They even (indirectly)set the stage for our leads to stay together for a night.lol.The out door pasta and the wagon ride was wonderful.

-The doctor guy,Choi Jun soo:--He lives with Jung eum in the same house and has been her best friend since they were young.He is cute and I keep gazing at his upper lip.He has got a sharp cupid brow dimple.He He.:lol:.(In real life he is dating actress Park shin Hye of Heirs,You are beautiful fame!).He seems to love JE and has'nt confessed yet.We all know he would not succeed but am curious to how he will manage the situation.He even bought her favorites doll for her..damn..Second lead syndrome on the way..

-The sushi restaurant and the scarf:--The three of them go into a sushi restaurant and we can see Nam hoon is clearly jealous.The doctor guy seems to know all of Jung eum's favorites foods as Nam hoon gets it all wrong.

The scene where the doctor guy remarked that he has tested the kiss strategy of our love guru on JE.lol.Hoon Nam puked.:D

The scarf clash:- The scarf travelled from Nam hoon to Jung eum to Jun soo and then again back to Jung eum.:lol:

The coach and the cousin guy:- The cousin guy is a jerk and our coach seems to be sidelined.However they seem to have a connection.let's see how things turn out.

The awkward hiding moment and the 2nd kiss:--Our leads go hiding to avoid an awkward encounter with the coach and the cousin guy as they fool around.

And in the spur of the moment Nam hoon kisses Jung eum.Now, don't tell us that you didn't fell anything Mr Duke coz you were so damn into it..:lol:Moreover Nam hoon enjoys having ramyeon only with JE. He's in love so much that food tastes so good when he eats it with JE.:lol:

The background English pop music--There were so many and I liked them all.

And I liked all the OST tracks too..

:wub:This drama has me hooked.

@ashbelle - THANK YOU VERY KHAMSAHAMNIDA for your analysis!! LOVE it so much!! 

I just happened to watch a snippet of the KBS Top Excellence Acting Award (I think it was for 2017) and as we all know, Nam Goong Min won for his portrayal of Chief Kim. Then, there was an interview with him and he kept on repeating he really wanted to star in a romcom in future. I think this drama is just perfect for him because we get to see something quite different from his previous characters! 

I am going to sound like a broken record but his chemistry with HJE (who’s of course, the Queen of romcom) is just so very sweet and wonderful!

I guess the Korean audience prefers more complicated stuff and I am kind of worried that this lighthearted and refreshing romcom drama will be forced into a genre change to address the low ratings. Maybe Writer-Nim will now have to change the storyline a bit and introduce some unnecessary makjang - like have a tragedy / some political or chaebol complications etc ...

I REALLY hope there will not be a genre-shift ... 

Yes, there are so many connections and right now it’s so fun connecting the dots!

Of course, I can’t wait to see our leads’ interactions and to see the Duke getting a taste of his own medicine! Hahahaha!!

And I really hope the second lead JS, will find someone to fall in love with, because we already know who JE will fall in love with!

I like the scene involving the scarf: he warned her not to give the scarf away especially to another man, because “It’s mine” - then he looked her deep into her eyes and his eyes shifted downwards to her lips and neck and he proceeded to tie the scarf around her neck! 

HN’s stares at JE!! Melting HOT!! Hahaha!

So, the scarf is HIS and by tying it around her neck, he’s subconsciously declaring that she is HIS too!! (I want to insert so many emojis here but I dunno how to insert the ones approved by Soompi- AAAAAARRRRGGHH!)

Hahahaha! Ok, now all of us are IMPATIENTLY waiting for Wednesday and then early Thursday morning for the subtitles!!! 

Archived