[Drama 2017] Suspicious Partner, 수상한 파트너

0ly40

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an interesting piece on the new episode format.  I can't for the life of me keep track of the episode's number :lol:

=====================================

Viewers angry over commercial breaks

By Park Jin-hai

MBC and SBS, two of Korea's three major public broadcasters, surprised and angered viewers after they interrupted programs with commercial breaks last week. 

Viewers of the new dramas "Ruler: Master of the Mask" (MBC) and "Suspicious Partner" (SBS) both aired their first episodes May 10.

Half way into both shows, the broadcasters aired one-minute-long commercials with notices that the next 35 minutes of each drama would follow.

Under the current broadcasting law, public broadcasters cannot run mid-show commercials. However, for years the broadcasters claimed that this ban has been the main cause of their worsening financial situation and continuously called for scrapping it.

Regarding their apparent breaking of the law to get cash from the commercials, viewers showed anger for not being notified properly of the broadcasters' new advertizing format called "premium commercials." They complained their rights were violated.

"It was uncomfortable to see them split the shows in two in order to gain more profit from commercials. It really disturbs the flow of the story," said Shin Mi-hae, who watched "Ruler." Another viewer said, "Public airwaves are owned by the people, not broadcasters." 

Jang Bo-hye, another watcher, also said she was surprised by the pricing policy of the video on demand version, which treated the one episode as two episodes. The duration was the same but the price was doubled because of the split. "The abrupt break with the mid-show commercial is nonsense. Charging separate fees for the same show angers me even more," she said.

According to Korea Broadcast Advertising Corporation (KOBACO) data, the 15-second advertisement rate for a public TV weekday drama, where commercials are played before and after the show, averages 13.5 million won. But the rate for a "premium commercial," a de facto mid-show commercial, costs more. "Although the rate is not double or triple the price, as some say, it is true that the rate is way above the average," said a KOBACO official.

MBC claims that its move was in consideration of the changing content consuming patterns of viewers who are more prone to watching short-length content through mobile devices than watching full-length content on TV. "We thought viewers, who are now used to the American soap operas where each episode runs 30 to 40 minutes, can easily accept our new form as well," said a MBC official.

As for the lack of advanced notice, the official said "it was in the TV schedule."

SBS's position treated the single episode as two 30 minute episodes. "At the end of each episode, we ran the commercials. So they were not mid-show commercials," said an SBS official.

Source:  Korea Times

55 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Here's an interesting piece on the new episode format.  I can't for the life of me keep track of the episode's number :lol:

sorry for cutting your post, but this is interesting. dramas from my country tend to have commercial break every 10 mins, hahaha. i didnt realized that kdramas didnt have commercials before. i read somewhere that one of the reasons are also because they couldnt get revenue from china due to the ban (but dont quote me on this, im a bit hazy about this one).

for me, i'm all about well placed PPLs if that means the people who worked hard for the drama are paid handsomely for their effort :)

and same with you, i also couldnt keep track the episode number. hahahaha

Ji Chang-wook’s warm smile shines in selfie

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20170522

Ji Chang-wook dressed up in a dark blue suit uploaded his selfie on Instagram, Monday, smiling brightly into the camera. 

Along with the photo, he thanked the fans, saying, “Thank you for the food! #Thankyou #dayrock #romcomking #suspiciouspartner.” 

The actor was in the middle of filming for SBS’ 32-episode drama “Suspicious Partner.” His official fan club, Day Rock, sent him a food truck to cheer him up and support him.

The 29-year-old actor plays Noh Ji-wook, an all-round prosecutor in the Wednesday-Thursday drama. 

By Jie Ye-eun (yeeunjie@heraldcorp.com) 

Ji Chang Wook And Nam Ji Hyun Are Closer Than Ever Behind The Scenes Of “Suspicious Partner”

Recently, SBS released behind-the-scenes stills of Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun on the set of “Suspicious Partner,” where the two look closer than ever.

Suspicious-Partner-Ji-Chang-Wook-Nam-Ji-

The stills show scenes of the two at No Ji Wook’s (Ji Chang Wook’s) house, as well as No Ji Wook caring for Eun Bong Hee (Nam Ji Hyun) after she hurt her leg in the previous episode. The actors seem to have warmed up to each other quite a bit, and viewers can look forward to the characters getting closer in the episodes to come.

Along with the reveal of the stills, producers of the show commented, “Not only have Ji Wook and Bong Hee become closer recently, so have Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun in real life. The environment on our set has changed a lot due to their blossoming chemistry,” and continued, “The two stars are trying their best to portray a lovable couple, so we hope everyone will enjoy and support the drama.”

Spoiler (through Episode 8)

In the previous episodes of the show, Eun Bong Hee ran into No Ji Wook again after avoiding him for two years after her murder trial incident, which had forced him to resign from his job as a prosecutor. She ended up moving in with No Ji Wook after not being evicted from her home because she was unable to pay rent for many months. No Ji Wook, who used to keep his distance, is now more open to the idea of having Eun Bong Hee around him. The eighth episode ended with No Ji Wook not being able to remember anything from a night of drinking and trying to recall if anything had happened between him and Eun Bong Hee. No Ji Wook’s ex-girlfriend also appeared in the eighth episode, leaving viewers eager to see how this will complicate things for Eun Bong Hee.

“Suspicious Partner” airs every Wednesday and Thursday.

source: https://www.soompi.com/2017/05/22/ji-chang-wook-nam-ji-hyun-closer-ever-behind-scenes-suspicious-partner/

10 hours ago, Buldok said:

Wow!!! :love:

9 hours ago, ilwoo_aein said:

HQ - new BTS stills

source: http://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=201705230100180300013137&servicedate=20170522

HQ new BTS stills in separate form
more stills under spoiler

awwwww so cute!! :wub: thank you so much for sharing!! :wub: 

1 hour ago, chasingdaisy said:
2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

sorry for cutting your post, but this is interesting. dramas from my country tend to have commercial break every 10 mins, hahaha. i didnt realized that kdramas didnt have commercials before. i read somewhere that one of the reasons are also because they couldnt get revenue from china due to the ban (but dont quote me on this, im a bit hazy about this one).

for me, i'm all about well placed PPLs if that means the people who worked hard for the drama are paid handsomely for their effort :)

and same with you, i also couldnt keep track the episode number. hahahaha

hhhhhhhhhh I think we can to keep it easy call the numbers of episodes per week like "the 2nd week episodes" "the 3rd week episodes" to ak it less confusing :lol: 

I read the same thing too, and don't feel really bothered by the in-between commercials and if it's helpful than that's fine!! but what's with double price for the "video on demand version"?!! :huh: 

and in our broadcasts (arabic broadcasts) there is commircials every 10 (even less) minutes with the length of commercials being as long and sometimes longer of what we watched from the drama/movie: 10 minutes of drama's episode/movie for 10 or 15 minutes of commercials!! :blink: that's why I don't watch dramas/movies on tv!! hhhhhhhhh

8 hours ago, stucked said:

OH. I love what you wrote. And it's quite true. Bong Hee is probably Eun Hyuk's golden ticket to get inside Noh Ji Wook's heart again. This is maybe in parallell to Yoo Jung (ex-gf) being the main reason why he was cut-off in NJW's life. If he really did bang ('scuse me for that word) his friend's gf that is.

true!! he must be thabkful to Bong Hee-he thanked her when hebecame her attorney forbeing the cause to get a phone call from No Ji Wook 2 years ago!! :lol: 

7 hours ago, athena22 said:

Hide contents

Some love begins without the owner of the heart realizing

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀that one’s love has begun.

⠀⠀ ⠀Just like the spring breeze and moist rain drops,

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀our hearts slowly get soaked with love

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀whether we realize or not.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ Love gets into our heart.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀When I realized it,

⠀⠀⠀ he took a corner of my heart all of a sudden.❞  (x)

CR:leejieunn

sobeautiful :wub: thank you so much for sharing!! :wub: 

7 hours ago, chasingdaisy said:

i spent my weekend re-watching all four episodes (i still use the old formatting, so in my mind we are 4 episodes in. habits are hard to break B)).

you know, i really wonder what happened that caused Ji-wook and Eun-hyuk to be drifted away. although, drifted may not be the most suitable word, more like... Ji-wook cuts off their friendship ties? or something. Ji-wook seems to be telling or reminding Eun-hyuk all the times that he hates Eun-hyuk ("You are the worst. I already hate you."). like most of everyone, i don't want Eun-hyuk to be the guy that Yoo-jung cheated Ji-wook with, as for me cheating is kinda unforgivable. i hope it's something else.

and the relationship with his mom - i wonder if his parents are divorced. it seems that all his memories when he was a child centered around his dad, and i dont see his mom... yet. probably there will be in future episodes, but what i gathered is that he's a bit distant with his mom, and moreso he doesnt live with her. and i cant with his mom - she was played by the same actress as Park Do-kyung's mom (another oh hae young) so everytime she comes on screen i just laughed.

i love how Bong-hee keep asking Ji-wook whether he's worrying about her - that is so cute. and most of the time, Ji-wook will reply that he's not, but i have the feeling that this will be somekind of running theme - he's actually worrying about her, because Bong-hee is really impulsive and Ji-wook will be the one that end up worrying about her to death. like @triplem mentioned, everytime Bong-hee is around Ji-wook, i think he can't help but starts to seek out to her and be more alert. like when he hold the chair for her - that might be impulsive but if you pay no attention at all, you wont see the chair is rolling away (i know because my friend once fell off the chair, and being a bad friend, i laughed out loud to her clumsiness. i didnt see she's gonna fall lol)

this scene is like saying - when you want to let go, but he unconciously tells you not to.

I hope so though I doubt it!! but I'll be supper happy if I turn out wrong!! cheating on your best friend who is like afamily to you is the worst of the worst possible things!! 

she could've been out of the picture in his childhood as well doing massages and having those kind of stupid/silly meetings with wives like her?!! and yes she's not that close from No Ji Wook even now, he's respectful but distanced!! 

I felt sorry for her everytime she have that happy-hopeful smile only to haveher bubble burst with his denying but he can't deny his actions!! :wink: 

hhhhhhhhhhhhyou're a bad friend!! :lol: and loved the saying!! :wub:

4 hours ago, bedifferent said:

By Park Jin-hai

MBC and SBS, two of Korea's three major public broadcasters, surprised and angered viewers after they interrupted programs with commercial breaks last week. 

Viewers of the new dramas "Ruler: Master of the Mask" (MBC) and "Suspicious Partner" (SBS) both aired their first episodes May 10.

Half way into both shows, the broadcasters aired one-minute-long commercials with notices that the next 35 minutes of each drama would follow.

Under the current broadcasting law, public broadcasters cannot run mid-show commercials. However, for years the broadcasters claimed that this ban has been the main cause of their worsening financial situation and continuously called for scrapping it.

Regarding their apparent breaking of the law to get cash from the commercials, viewers showed anger for not being notified properly of the broadcasters' new advertizing format called "premium commercials." They complained their rights were violated.

"It was uncomfortable to see them split the shows in two in order to gain more profit from commercials. It really disturbs the flow of the story," said Shin Mi-hae, who watched "Ruler." Another viewer said, "Public airwaves are owned by the people, not broadcasters." 

Jang Bo-hye, another watcher, also said she was surprised by the pricing policy of the video on demand version, which treated the one episode as two episodes. The duration was the same but the price was doubled because of the split. "The abrupt break with the mid-show commercial is nonsense. Charging separate fees for the same show angers me even more," she said.

According to Korea Broadcast Advertising Corporation (KOBACO) data, the 15-second advertisement rate for a public TV weekday drama, where commercials are played before and after the show, averages 13.5 million won. But the rate for a "premium commercial," a de facto mid-show commercial, costs more. "Although the rate is not double or triple the price, as some say, it is true that the rate is way above the average," said a KOBACO official.

MBC claims that its move was in consideration of the changing content consuming patterns of viewers who are more prone to watching short-length content through mobile devices than watching full-length content on TV. "We thought viewers, who are now used to the American soap operas where each episode runs 30 to 40 minutes, can easily accept our new form as well," said a MBC official.

As for the lack of advanced notice, the official said "it was in the TV schedule."

SBS's position treated the single episode as two 30 minute episodes. "At the end of each episode, we ran the commercials. So they were not mid-show commercials," said an SBS official.

Source:  Korea Times

thx for the interesting article.

I find the break awful and couldn´t unterstand the split from the episodes. now i understand, there is a law and they want to bypass this. now charge the double on video on demand. cash cow!

i hope, they cancel this nonsense soon.

Excuse me? Did I read a 32? This is a 32 episode drama? Really... I don't watch 32 episode dramas unless it's a weekend drama.

Just read the 30 minute video policy again. Psychologically do I feel better there are 24 more episodes? Or 12 episodes more?

16 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Excuse me? Did I read a 32? This is a 32 episode drama? Really... I don't watch 32 episode dramas unless it's a weekend drama.

don't worry chingu, it's not!! this drama is 20 episodes with old formula but since they started using a new formula cutting 1 hour episode into 2 parts: 30 minutes each (with 1 minute commercials in between) and calling each part an episode so 1 hour=2 episodes with the new formula!! and so the 20 hours/episodes per old formula became called as 40 episodes!! hope that helped you understand but anyway just know this drama is 20 episodes like we used to have in K-dramas!! :) 

cr: viki

well Lee Sang Yoon was a judge not a procecutor!! :tongue: and I chose my Ji Chang Wook!! :wub: 

hhhhhhhhhhhh actually it's "always" not "sometimes"!! :tongue::wub: 

tumblr_oqd3aiGtof1sh8uxlo1_1280.jpg

go back to study. 

I'm a bad student, I don't let go of my dramas for exams!! :lol: 

friend: I don't like watching drama.

me: /offer a dapper Ji Chang Wook/

DAcW0gMXUAAbl9t.jpg

that's what a good friend do!! :lol: 

cr: http://dramatroll.net/

@maral_ms it's 40 aka 20 episodes chingu!! :D 

15 hours ago, chasingdaisy said:

i spent my weekend re-watching all four episodes (i still use the old formatting, so in my mind we are 4 episodes in. habits are hard to break B)).

you know, i really wonder what happened that caused Ji-wook and Eun-hyuk to be drifted away. although, drifted may not be the most suitable word, more like... Ji-wook cuts off their friendship ties? or something. Ji-wook seems to be telling or reminding Eun-hyuk all the times that he hates Eun-hyuk ("You are the worst. I already hate you."). like most of everyone, i don't want Eun-hyuk to be the guy that Yoo-jung cheated Ji-wook with, as for me cheating is kinda unforgivable. i hope it's something else.

and the relationship with his mom - i wonder if his parents are divorced. it seems that all his memories when he was a child centered around his dad, and i dont see his mom... yet. probably there will be in future episodes, but what i gathered is that he's a bit distant with his mom, and moreso he doesnt live with her. and i cant with his mom - she was played by the same actress as Park Do-kyung's mom (another oh hae young) so everytime she comes on screen i just laughed.

i love how Bong-hee keep asking Ji-wook whether he's worrying about her - that is so cute. and most of the time, Ji-wook will reply that he's not, but i have the feeling that this will be somekind of running theme - he's actually worrying about her, because Bong-hee is really impulsive and Ji-wook will be the one that end up worrying about her to death. like @triplem mentioned, everytime Bong-hee is around Ji-wook, i think he can't help but starts to seek out to her and be more alert. like when he hold the chair for her - that might be impulsive but if you pay no attention at all, you wont see the chair is rolling away (i know because my friend once fell off the chair, and being a bad friend, i laughed out loud to her clumsiness. i didnt see she's gonna fall lol)

this scene is like saying - when you want to let go, but he unconciously tells you not to.

Actually, though he always said first no, a few times he did admit after that he was worried for her, but then he would make a break in his sentence (you know, just the right amount of time to make BH's heart, lol) and then would had a fake excuse like it's because she was his employee or it's his prosecutor habit...

I love that she keeps on asking that too. Can't wait for the day, he'll just answer her "yes" and won't make any excuse after ! ^^

6 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Just read the 30 minute video policy again. Psychologically do I feel better there are 24 more episodes? Or 12 episodes more?

Since each episode is approximately 30 minutes, 32 episodes translates into the usual 16 episodes.

16 minutes ago, moreenke said:

I am not sure, however, I believe his father is dead.  I think the head or chief prosecutor has something to do with his father's death.  Remember the scene (and I will watch it again) when NJW was sleeping and he dreamed the house was on fire, he was on one side of the door and his father was lying injured on the other side.  Just before NJW woke up, he saw a man walk in?  I believe that man was the head prosecutor.  

Archived