[Drama 2017] My Father is Strange 아버지가 이상해

Go Seung Ji

On 12/20/2016 at 8:40 AM, larus said:

I am not a fan of the genre but I will watch all 50 episodes of this drama. Just hope the writer will have a good script for all those actors and actresses who will work hard with the rest of the crew for more than 6 months. I just pray that this show will spare me of the cancer/ terminal illness story-line. Dramagod, have mercy!

Don't forget amnesia on that listbig-grin-smiley-face.gif For the longest time I was not one for long dramas but now I like watching them. I like how there's enough time and story line for all of the characters. I think we already have a good, I hope the writer can keep the story interesting too.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, evie7 said:

Don't forget amnesia on that listbig-grin-smiley-face.gif For the longest time I was not one for long dramas but now I like watching them. I like how there's enough time and story line for all of the characters. I think we already have a good, I hope the writer can keep the story interesting too.

You were not into long family dramas but now you are watching them? :sweatingbullets: I am worried. Kidding. I am still getting used to the idea that my girl chose a family drama again. It is hard but I will concentrate on the positive aspects. As you said, hope the writer gives good material for all the characters.

I know that amnesia is a kdrama cliche but fortunately, I did not watch a drama with amnesia story except for A New Leaf and Memory but those had a good reason for it. So, I don`t mind amnesia that much. I will be more annoyed with the same story-line of a mother of the rich boy/girl who is against marriage of her son/ daughter, or parents intruding too much on the life of their adults children.  

I tried to get used to this kind of dramas so I read about several dramas, I watched some scenes... my number one concern is still strong... I saw cancer story-line too much.

3 hours ago, larus said:

You were not into long family dramas but now you are watching them? :sweatingbullets: I am worried. Kidding. I am still getting used to the idea that my girl chose a family drama again. It is hard but I will concentrate on the positive aspects. As you said, hope the writer gives good material for all the characters.

I know that amnesia is a kdrama cliche but fortunately, I did not watch a drama with amnesia story except for A New Leaf and Memory but those had a good reason for it. So, I don`t mind amnesia that much. I will be more annoyed with the same story-line of a mother of the rich boy/girl who is against marriage of her son/ daughter, or parents intruding too much on the life of their adults children.  

I tried to get used to this kind of dramas so I read about several dramas, I watched some scenes... my number one concern is still strong... I saw cancer story-line too much.

I just started w/ Marriage Contract and Five Kids, then I have just gotten used to watching weekend dramas. Unfortunately Five Kids and the current weekend on KBS has a big dose of parents trying to control their lives:phew: The good thing for KSY is that KBS dramas rule the weekends and get big ratings. I hope this one has more humor like Five Kids had.  Amnesia does work in some dramas, Time Between Dog and Wolf was great, I got a little upset w/the amnesia in Masters Son but at least it didn't last for long. What really sets me off is when they use the amnesia card just for the sake of using it.        

22 hours ago, larus said:

So, Joong Hee always plays villains in dramas and he is successful? And self centered in real life?  He has lots of fans even with those attributes. Lucky that he is a male.   If he was an idol first then turned actor, it could be explain his huge popularity

That's what I read in Dramabeans about his character descriptions that he was an ex-idol to a boyband in this drama, that's explain how he gains huge popularity. 

I was surprised how similar the character background's description to Lee Joon, he was an ex idol too in a group called MBLAQ and has at least 10 years of acting experience because he started acting at the age of 18 in hollywood movie Ninja Assassin, same with Ahn Joonghee, was even more surprised this character was not mean for him at first but for Joo Jinmo, due to schedule issue the actor has to decline this role and the production gave it to Lee Joon, who happen to be his co-star in Woman With a Suitcase. 

13 hours ago, evie7 said:

Don't forget amnesia on that listbig-grin-smiley-face.gif

lol what a fresh plot on kdrama right? XD just kidding but hopefully no cancer and terminal illness plot in this one :)

9 hours ago, evie7 said:

I just started w/ Marriage Contract and Five Kids, then I have just gotten used to watching weekend dramas. Unfortunately Five Kids and the current weekend on KBS has a big dose of parents trying to control their lives:phew: The good thing for KSY is that KBS dramas rule the weekends and get big ratings. I hope this one has more humor like Five Kids had.  Amnesia does work in some dramas, Time Between Dog and Wolf was great, I got a little upset w/the amnesia in Masters Son but at least it didn't last for long. What really sets me off is when they use the amnesia card just for the sake of using it.      

I forgot about Time Between Dog and Wolf. Yeah... when it is used wisely it doesn`t seam contrived. Dramas use the same tropes to create angst. Just like using mother in laws mostly more than fathers to oppose the main couples. 

I did not see Marriage Contract but I read about it. It is a weekender but it is short. I would not include this drama in the family dramas genre. 

Father is Strange drama will be a comedy but it will have touching moments and romance as well. I guess.  Hope this drama will be successful, to bring something new. The public will not watch it if there is the same old plot all over again.

I am curious to know more about Kim Soyeon and her partner`s arc story, to know more about the character`s description. From the descriptions, her character, Hye Young,  is a career woman, self centered, has her own world, she doesn`t like to be involved in the family quarrels. Looking forward too see how she will be included in the family dynamic, her scenes with Kim Young Chul and the rest of the cast. I am also looking forward to see how the "marriage graduation" is being presented. Hope for good humor too.

We all will watch for 6 months for different reasons but I hope we`ll be like a small family here, FIS/ FIW Team.

Father is Strange or Father is Weird? I can`t decide. :phew:

23 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

hat's what I read in Dramabeans about his character descriptions that he was an ex-idol to a boyband in this drama, that's explain how he gains huge popularity. 

I was surprised how similar the character background's description to Lee Joon, he was an ex idol too in a group called MBLAQ and has at least 10 years of acting experience because he started acting at the age of 18 in hollywood movie Ninja Assassin, same with Ahn Joonghee, was even more surprised this character was not mean for him at first but for Joo Jinmo, due to schedule issue the actor has to decline this role and the production gave it to Lee Joon, who happen to be his co-star in Woman With a Suitcase. 

Yeah, it is a similar background. It is like this character was meant for him. :w00t:

I am not convinced that Joo Jin Mo had the offer for the same role. They obvious changed the role after his rejection if that was the case.  I know that Kim Soyeon had the offer  for some time. In the end of November she said at the fan meeting that she has a role that makes her very nervous. She also said that she is not sure if she is confirmed, almost confirmed or a strong candidate, she said that she doesn`t know anymore (that it was not so clear for her at that time).   I can only speculate but it makes sense to me that after losing a male lead they reorganized the drama. They don`t have the script, just a synopsis/character`s synopsis.  From what I know it is possible to change both leads if one of them is not available, or to look for a good replacement, or modify the script.  I think they kept Soyeon and now they are looking for her male lead. Originally, Ahn Joong Hee was not an idol, she was just a successful actor who grew up in America, he was cold, strong, self-centered, sensitive. It was a perfect match for the aloof daughter so maybe they had in mind the clashing of two strong headed characters. Maybe they wanted to go another route so they made Ahn Joon Hee younger, a former idol, and I think they found a good actor for this new role. They needed another lead woman for him too.  It is good that finally, they have a clear image of what they want with this drama, they have a good direction and I am sure they will cast good actors accordingly.   

22 hours ago, larus said:

I am not convinced that Joo Jin Mo had the offer for the same role

I think the role that given to Joo Jinmo is the same role that Lee Joon will play as they described in this video Joo Jinmo supposed to play a cold, proud and sensitive celebrity and a successful actor. 

Kim Youn Chul has confirmed the role of Byun Han Soo in the KBS drama Father is Strange.

NISI20161226_0012528301_web.jpg

http://www.newsis.com/ar_detail/view.html?ar_id=NISX20161226_0014603777&cID=10601&pID=10600

I wish there is a translated article. I think it says more about his secret. I don`t understand very well but it seams that Byun Han Soo has been a diligent and faithful man, who has lived as a "child idiot", a fool for his wife and his family, has been hiding a secret for many years. I am curious why.

Maybe my Google translation did not give me the correct interpretation. In another article, there is not a mention that he was living as a "child idiot". The new article says that he has been a long-time hard worker and a diligent and hard-working person who has lived in a lifetime at home and in the workplace for a long time.

http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=956193

5 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

I think the role that given to Joo Jinmo is the same role that Lee Joon will play as they described in this video Joo Jinmo supposed to play a cold, proud and sensitive celebrity and a successful actor. 

Yeah... but still something is not quite right. So, Joo Jin Mo would have been paired with Jung Sun Min? Why they have had Soyeon on stand by for so long if they were sure what they want? I still believe they made changes. They could have chosen the same traits for the character but choosing an actor who is 14 years younger than the original plan made them adjust.

Another situation... Why looking for a new leading man for Soyeon so late, after Joo Jin Moo has refused the role? There were a news that he accepted and then that he refused. The busy schedules is an excuse, they could not convinced him to accept the role. That`s my opinion. But, what was behind the scene, doesn`t matter. We`ll see the final product anyway. Let it be good!

8 hours ago, larus said:

Yeah... but still something is not quite right. So, Joo Jin Mo would have been paired with Jung Sun Min? Why they have had Soyeon on stand by for so long if they were sure what they want? I still believe they made changes. They could have chosen the same traits for the character but choosing an actor who is 14 years younger than the original plan made them adjust.

I felt weird too if they were planning to pair up Joo Jinmo with Jung Somin, Kim Soyeon would be a more suitable partner for him imo. There may have been some changes like you said that made them cast Jung Somin, since the lead actor is much younger than the original. I still believe they would not waste up Kim Soyeon on some minor role, she was announced as one of the leads too. Am I right? Lee Joon is still a newbie compared to Jung Somin and Kim Soyeon and I doubt it they will make him the only lead role here, furthermore this is a weekend drama where the story does not revolve around one person only. 

One more coincidence I found here is both Kim Soyeon and Lee Joon had worked with Kim Youngchul in IRIS 1 & 2 and now the three of them will meet in one drama also under KBS channel ~:w00t:

4 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

I felt weird too if they were planning to pair up Joo Jinmo with Jung Somin, Kim Soyeon would be a more suitable partner for him imo. There may have been some changes like you said that made them cast Jung Somin, since the lead actor is much younger than the original. I still believe they would not waste up Kim Soyeon on some minor role, she was announced as one of the leads too. Am I right? Lee Joon is still a newbie compared to Jung Somin and Kim Soyeon and I doubt it they will make him the only lead role here, furthermore this is a weekend drama where the story does not revolve around one person only. 

I am sure that Joo jin Mo would have been paired with Kim So Yeon. Too bad that did not happen. It was one of my wishes that they would reunite in a drama. Maybe there will be another chance. About her role, I am not worry. She is one of the leads. Usually, from what I know, the majority of family dramas have two main couples, one older and one younger. Beside the two main couples  we will see other couples too. They will have their own micro stories but I want to see family relationships  in this drama, how they will interact with each other as well.

We have two self centered characters. One is Ahn Joong Hee and the other is Byun Hye Young. Who knows how the older brother is. They said that all four Byun children have different personalities. Personally, I love that they have flaws but let see how the audience will receive them. They will have scenes together? How they will interact?

4 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

One more coincidence I found here is both Kim Soyeon and Lee Joon had worked with Kim Youngchul in IRIS 1 & 2 and now the three of them will meet in one drama also under KBS channel ~:w00t:

Yeah, they were in Iris under KBS. Kim Young Chul appeared in both Iris 1 and 2.  They did not have scenes together so I want one scene with three of them now. :w00t:

47 minutes ago, eyjooniesh said:

So sad :dissapointed_relieved:

In a way I am sad. I don`t like when this is happening.  I was looking forward to see a new role and it seamed like a funny experience and I was adjusting the idea to watch a new family drama. I think it was the behind the scene drama. Who knows what was the reason? Maybe her role was changed form the original synopsis and it did not meet her expectations anymore or it is indeed for other personal reasons like it was said in the article above. I am sure the drama will be a success. Father is Strange, Fighting!

From SSo fanpage:

Kim So Yeon's agency, Namoo Actors announced on the 27th that "Actress Kim So Yeon decided not to appear on KBS weekend drama "Father is Strange".

Through agency, she said: "I have prepared so hard to meet good writers, directors, and attractive scripts. I'm sorry the actors and drama team. I think I've put a damper on the drama team, I'm very sorry. I will return with better performance in the near future."

Trans by: Sso Fanpage

Father is Strange has a new leading man. It is not Kim Sang kyung but Ryu Soo-young.

http://images.uk.kpopstarz.com/data/images/full/20019/ryu-soo-young-attends-new-sbs-drama-endless-love-press-conference.jpg

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=21048640

Ryu Soo young was in Ojakgyo Brothers,  the successful family drama of Lee Jung Sun, the writer of Father is Strange. We have a reunion.

It is funny, he worked with Kim Soyeon too. It was in drama Two Weeks. They did not have a love line there but I they could have been a good pair on screen. They were so cute behind the scene, they got along well.  Joo Jin Mo, Kim Sang Kyung and Ryu Soo young ..They all worked with Soyeon before. Who else was on the list of leading men? :)

Ryu Soo Young is playing the role of  Cha Jeong-hwan. he was raised as a single son and graduated from the top university of Korea. From what I read,he is a person who tries to understand  his mother's obsession and he knows that the cause of this attachment is his father. So... this drama will have a obsessed "mother in law", who will meddle in his son`s affairs, romantic life?  Grrrr... 

Reading the description for Cha Jeong-hwan, Ryu Soo Young`s character, who is a single son and his mother seams like a controlling mother/ a clingy mother,  It would have been the consecutive story where Soyeon will play in a similar story. I can add that this is the cliche that I hate the most in dramas. I can`t stand clingy parents (especially mothers in dramas) who are meddling in the business of their adult children all the time. If this was Soyeon`s story arc, I am at easy now that she refused the role.  But I believe Ryu Soo young and his new partner on screen will be great. Good luck for them!

According to some sources, he is in the final stage of negotiations. More from this character... he is an elite PD who passed the broadcast station bureaucrats.

201612271512777201_586206725cb9e.jpg 

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1110558341

Guest ororomunroe

It's a pity that KSY backed out but I hope this drama is good for Lee Joon's sake. I loved him in the Grapevine drama. I also liked some of the writer's previous works so I'm looking forward to watching FIS. 

1 hour ago, ororomunroe said:

It's a pity that KSY backed out but I hope this drama is good for Lee Joon's sake. I loved him in the Grapevine drama. I also liked some of the writer's previous works so I'm looking forward to watching FIS. 

I think it will be a good drama. They decided to concentrate on the younger pair, so Lee Joon will have a good role here, he will work with great veteran actors and have a good partner in Jung Soo Min. It might not be a good project for Kim Soyeon. I already talked about my suspicions. Even from outside, I can understand why she backed out. There were so many changes from the original synopsis and I think the new story arc for her was not as compelling anymore. She already had a similar story arc. Her character has to deal with another meddling "mother in law" who is obsessed with her son`s life. Different circumstances but still similar. To commit with  8 months work, it has to be a challenging project, something that can bring her something new. Or, it could be indeed other personal reasons what I can not be aware off at this point. Either way, It was a decision that has come to an end after a sufficient deal of discussion with the production crew, like her agency mentioned. 

Ryu Soo Young, I googled him and he's good looking ahjussi, I think I have watched him several times in drama tv's that's why I could recognized him. Too bad he will not be partnered up with Kim Soyeon due to certain circumstances, I understand Kim Soyeon's decision to not get the same role and script over and over again, she's a versatile actress, so that's explained a lot. 

I am excited to watch this drama on February, hopefully Kim Haesook and Ryu Hwayoung accept the offer so we got to see a beautiful looking family in one drama!

Another Happy Home actor is joining the drama Father is Weird. :w00t:

Ahn Hyo-seop confirmed to play the role of  Park Cheol-soo (Chul Soo? He has the same first name :)) , a person who majored in soccer and graduated from the department of social sports. He is also a rich person. He will be in a relationship with the youngest daughter played by Ryu Hwa-young. 

20160215_1455499715_04223700_1_99_20161228103102.jpg?type=w430_q80

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=213&aid=0000936152

I am sad that Kim So-Yeon decided to drop out.
I am doubly sad, if that is because they decided to focus on the younger pair.
I prefer an all round family drama, where everyone is in the limelight.

But I love the news of Ryu Soo-Young joining the drama. If Kim So-Yeon had stayed on, that would have been their reunion in a drama since Two Weeks.

But I loved Ryu Soo-Young in every drama I have seen him in, and most notably in most recent drama Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-Ho, and the quirky short rom com The Virtual Bride, where he was paired with a much younger actress - Sistar's Dasom. They were so good together, and their chemistry was off the charts.  We were totally in love with that couple. Makes me want to see him again in a romantic role like that.

3 hours ago, larus said:

Another Happy Home actor is joining the drama Father is Weird

I am only about half way on Happy Home. Well, roughly. ep. 33 is next for me. Who was he? They young man who joined Mi-Soon? If so, I really liked him.

Archived