[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DF twitter update. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ruler: Master of the Mask" comes in first

photo849901.jpg

MBC drama "Ruler: Master of the Mask" came in first this week.

According to Nielsen Korea, the fifth and sixth episodes of "Ruler: Master of the Mask" rated 11.2% and 12.5% while the third and fourth episodes rated 10.5% and 12.6%.

The prince was at risk of being captured by the Pyeonsoo. Seo-yoon (Jeon No-min) stopped this from happening with his life. Seo-yoon was framed on behalf of the Prince and executed.

Meanwhile, KBS 2TV "Mystery Queen" rated 8.7%, and SBS "Suspicious Partner" rated 6.8% (Ep.5) and 8.0% (Ep.6) respectively.

http://www.hancinema.net/ruler-master-of-the-mask-comes-in-first-106056.html

Watched it subbed. And damn. YSH is slaying it.

I love the confrontation between CP and the king. I could really feel YSH's anguish upon finding out he's the cause of his people's suffering. And I can't wait to watch how he would grow and overcome this adversaries. 

GE's arc/revenge and Fake crown prince switcheroo would start next episode. Can't wait. 

36 minutes ago, Bambiina said:

If DM can control the King with his antidotes and the ministries with money ... he doesn't actually need CP on his side anymore ... HE HAS CONTROL OVER THE KING oh heck HE HAS ENTIRE NATION UNDER HIS CONTROL  .... I bet he can even kill CP if he really want to ... if he can just poison anyone (except CP of course - but he has 1001 other method to kill CP and continue to have hold over the king - I wonder why he didn't just be the king himself ... I am pulling my hair over these questions .. (Yes I know the rule of the thumb when watching KDrama  IGNORE LOGIC!) .. I might be doing just that and let my brain freeze .. stop questioning and just watch with my heart instead of head ... yeah I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee YSH .. he is so handsome .... BTW - I am waiting for bath scenes ... kekekkekekkekekekkekkeke ... That I DON"T NEED MY BRAIN

There is indeed some logic in that, believe it or not.

Ambitious politicians in the past did not just wield their sword and kill kings at their whim. They had one thing to fear and that was the people. Unless they could make up the right reason to overthrow the king, they wouldn't risk attracting the infamous name of being a traitor to themselves. The risk would be too high: either they would be recorded as the bad guys in history (yes they did care about their fame) and the bigger one would be rebels from the subjects/ people. Plus, silly as it might sound, all of them lived according to ancient philosophies, and it was these philosophies (namely those dictating subject loyalty) that would govern the relationship between kings and their subjects, including the overly ambitious officials.

Many would enjoy just being behind the curtains and pulling the strings, as long as they were guaranteed a luxury life and enough power to have their own way, and most importantly there would be someone taking all of the responsibilities or blame should anything go wrong, and that is often the head of the monarch. If they decided to take drastic measures at all, it would be only when the puppets that they were controlling resisted their power and wanted to enact their agency, such as what the King here was doing (and I fear he would be killed very soon). You only scold your dog if it barks at or bites you; you would leave it alone if it behaves. The same could be said about these officials and the kings.

If you look into most countries' history, there would be almost always at least a puppet king and a controlling, overly ambitious official of some sort. Dramas of these kinds only draw inspirations from real life; they don't make things up out of thin air. They only blow certain details out of proportion for dramatic effects and that is where things start to get ridiculous.

Bolppalgan4 lend their voices for 'Monarch - Owner of the Mask' OST Part 2!

Indie female duo Bolppalgan4 lent their voices for 'Monarch - Owner of the Mask' OST Part 2!

Titled "You and Me Since the Beginning", the soft female vocals and the gentle, heart fluttering lyrics are meant to be Yoo Seung Ho and Kim So Hyun's theme song in the currently airing drama. 

The series' 1st OST was by Highlight's Yoseob, titled "Couldn't Cry Because I'm A Man". 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/05/bolppalgan4-lend-their-voices-for-monarch-owner-of-the-mask-ost-part-2

1 hour ago, Bambiina said:

1. How come there's another group that is more powerful than the king and his ministers and the rest of the country. It's not like they have magic and immortal. If they can kill people why can't the King and his people do something to kill them back. It's not like they own the whole army.

2. What is the King waiting for? Why can't he do anything? Is it because he need drug that supplied by DM in order to live? 

3. If DM can just ordered the King to do anything and he succumb to him like a terrified kitten, why didn't DM demand to see the Prince face? And the Prince is suppose to join him and why didn't he stop the king from concealing the prince face? How to know who is the real CP? Why did DM let this matter escape his clutches? ... WHY DID HE NEED TO SPY ON CP when he can just directly demand the King ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!! .. this is ridiculous

4. When will CP be strong enough to fight? Why does the magistrate has to die? Why can't it be now that CP take action? ... Wait until when? Until DM dies??????????????? ... 

I'm sorry for the double post, but let me try answering your questions with a simple analogy. It might borderline oversimplification, so please take it with a pinch of salt:

Imagine you wanting to buy a house, but you don't have enough money. You have to go to the bank to borrow like 90% of the total sum. Now after some time you have managed to save up 50% of the price for the house, would you wait until you save up the other 50% of the total sum, or would you take that 50% to the bank and demand that they allow you to pay off your debt with what you've got?

It is similar for the current king. He didn't have the power he need to take the throne from the previous king, so he needed DM's power. DM, however, is not a bank owner unfortunately, he is a loan shark and loan sharks lend you money with conditions. Do the loan sharks ever come at you for the whole sum back? No, they would try to lengthen the loan duration as much as they can so they can wring even more money and benefits out of you. That is exactly what happens with the king and the CP here. DM has already got power, he doesn't need more; what he wants is to maintain that power. Heck, he doesn't need to kill the king. Why bother? The king would die sooner or later to the drug: it is said so in the narration at the beginning of episode one; DM wouldn't even have to snap a finger for it to happen! What he wants then is to have the same control over CP's so he can continue to exercise his manipulation.

Now the king wants to pay off the loan, but all he has managed to do is to gather a fraction of that sum, that's why he has to wait until his resources grow bigger. He's not doing nothing. He's actively trying to get out of DM's shadow by secretly seeking righteous officials, forming his own fraction and telling them to wait until they together grow bigger as a group and have enough power to counter DM. For it to happen, the King needs time to appoint them to higher ranks without alarming DM. You don't just take a lowly magistrate to minister after a couple years, and he likely has more people to take care of. Plus, gathering trusted people takes time. Over 17 years of our life how many trusted friends did we make? Only a handful or in the thousands? It is even harder for the king since anyone would be DM's spy, so it's very reasonable that it would take long for him to gather enough people.

The CP has to wait too because he is sheltered his whole life and has basically no knowledge in politics, so of course it would be the wrong time for him to fight. Just look at his rash actions: appointing an investigation into a group as big as DM's to a lowly magistrate, giving away his jade emblem to a commoner and thinking finding a righteous official is enough to rescue Lee Sun's dad from being punished. Look at where those actions took him and other people: disaster and mistake. The king is dead right: our boy is still green, and he needs to wait to grow more mature and politics savvy. The drama is going to tell the story of his character growth; otherwise, we won't have much to see at all!

Actually all of your questions are actually things that happened elsewhere in the world in real history, so I personally don't think they are ridiculous. The most ridiculous things lie in small, convenient plot points, such as why such a place as the prince's greenhouse and his chamber so loosely guarded that HG could easily let herself in. Or the King has been subjected to drugs for 17-ish freaking years but is still healthy and apparently alert - you wouldn't usually see that in an addict. Or why the king wants complete agency for his son but has never let him in on the power of DM's group and the hold they have on him. Those would be what I'd call ridiculous.

Yoon Sohee has such a well written interesting character but she's butchering it...Koreans are really unhappy with her and the way MBC has split one hour into two 30 minute episodes. It's also ridiculous that she has more screen time than KSH. I can't wait for more angst tomorrow! I just hope our seungho doesn't cry even more:tears:

1 hour ago, maskros said:

There is indeed some logic in that, believe it or not.

Ambitious politicians in the past did not just wield their sword and kill kings at their whim. They had one thing to fear and that was the people. Unless they could make up the right reason to overthrow the king, they wouldn't risk attracting the infamous name of being a traitor to themselves. The risk would be too high: either they would be recorded as the bad guys in history (yes they did care about their fame) and the bigger one would be rebels from the subjects/ people. Plus, silly as it might sound, all of them lived according to ancient philosophies, and it was these philosophies (namely those dictating subject loyalty) that would govern the relationship between kings and their subjects, including the overly ambitious officials.

Many would enjoy just being behind the curtains and pulling the strings, as long as they were guaranteed a luxury life and enough power to have their own way, and most importantly there would be someone taking all of the responsibilities or blame should anything go wrong, and that is often the head of the monarch. If they decided to take drastic measures at all, it would be only when the puppets that they were controlling resisted their power and wanted to enact their agency, such as what the King here was doing (and I fear he would be killed very soon). You only scold your dog if it barks at or bites you; you would leave it alone if it behaves. The same could be said about these officials and the kings.

If you look into most countries' history, there would be almost always at least a puppet king and a controlling, overly ambitious official of some sort. Dramas of these kinds only draw inspirations from real life; they don't make things up out of thin air. They only blow certain details out of proportion for dramatic effects and that is where things start to get ridiculous.

Thank you so much for this great insight ... 

Yessss .. YOU 100% right ..

In fact in real life I believe we still face similar 'phenomena' ...  We still face it now.. I believe what ever happen now in our world (currently) is not the work of those stupid presidents (not just one from one country). I believe there 

are higher power that are behind the curtain that are controlling what happen now in our world.

And Like you said – they blow the situation out of proportion in the drama thus making it appear ridiculous.

Countless Saguek Dramas were based on this aspect. Tree with deep root, The Moon that embraces the Sun, Secret Door, Moonlight Drawn By Cloud and many other … this is the core plot of saguek … however the way it is written that made the whole lot different.

As for The Ruler Master, the ‘reasons’ are not strong enough  - some are downright too absurd (like I pointed out about CP and his mask. I believe DM didn’t need to spy on CP to know the answer.  It’s just didn’t align with his character). Why DM didn’t demand King to let him see CP face when it is the most important thing to him?.

Why all the trouble of spying when he can just pull the string? The King is his puppet ..

:D .. anyway Thank you so much for responding with great insight …

I hope I would be able to turn off my brain and accept the plot as it is and just enjoy whatever they cooked up for us…

I hope they would tone down a bit – DM ability to control the King so that some of his actions are legit. If he can demand the King to kill his subject – he can easily demand the king to expose CP identity …

1 hour ago, Bambiina said:

3. If DM can just ordered the King to do anything and he succumb to him like a terrified kitten, why didn't DM demand to see the Prince face? And the Prince is suppose to join him and why didn't he stop the king from concealing the prince face? How to know who is the real CP? Why did DM let this matter escape his clutches? ... WHY DID HE NEED TO SPY ON CP when he can just directly demand the King ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!! .. this is ridiculous

I just want to answer this question of yours. If DM demands to see the face of CP directly, how could DM be sure it's the real CP? 

Also, directly demand would make the King aware that PSH already knows the prince's face, hence, the King would change his plan and PSH would no longer be in control. In my opinion, PSH are absolutely fine with their current status, they just want to make sure everything are maintained and under their control, which means they wouldn't take more actions or press the King if he follows their agreement in the past. It's not like DM wants to become the King though.

Also, I think CP now is just no less than an ant in DM's eyes. Not really a big threat.

It brings me to the point that the young here are just 17 year-old kids after all. They are all impulsive, in my opinion. I'm really looking forward for them to become mature in the future and hope that's when the real battle begins.

Meanwhile, I really want to see more acting from KSH. Sometimes I even wish KSH is the 2nd female lead so she could satisfy me with her acting skill. Please don't write Gaeun to become such a blurred character in the future... Don't waste KSH's talent!!

Just now, wingki13 said:

I just want to answer this question of yours. If DM demands to see the face of CP directly, how could DM be sure it's the real CP? 

Also, directly demand would make the King aware that PSH already knows the prince's face, hence, the King would change his plan and PSH would no longer be in control. In my opinion, PSH are absolutely fine with their current status, they just want to make sure everything are maintained and under their control, which means they wouldn't take more actions or press the King if he follows their agreement in the past. It's not like DM wants to become the King though.

Also, I think CP now is just no less than an ant in DM's eyes. Not really a big threat.

It brings me to the point that the young here are just 17 year-old kids after all. They are all impulsive, in my opinion. I'm really looking forward for them to become mature in the future and hope that's when the real battle begins.

Meanwhile, I really want to see more acting from KSH. Sometimes I even wish KSH is the 2nd female lead so she could satisfy me with her acting skill. Please don't write Gaeun to become such a blurred character in the future... Don't waste KSH's talent!!

Oh my you are right .. hehehhehehehhee .. YOU ARE RIGHT .... BTW - it was 5 am when I watch ... kekekkekekee.. I was so angry and sleepy at the same time .. YOU ARE RIGHT

How on earth DM would ever know whether the king is telling the truth .. THAT IS WHY WE NEED FORUM like this .. THANK YOU so much for responding ..

@maskros - Loving everything you wrote in you so call 'double posting'

I don't that much about how on earth anyone can easily enter the greenhouse - or how easy it is for anyone to poison CP (when he was young) . it would be easier to accept if they used some kind of black magic (like in TMETS) ... 

I don't mind the small loop holes ... WHICH IS THE NORM ... kekekkeke .. we've seen a lot of it and we shall survive ....

Again - Thank you gals ... hope we can continue to have great discussion ...

And now I am waiting for the tub bath by uri CP .....well it needn't be a tub .. it could be a stream - or even in the rain .. anything ..

I just want to see a wet Seung Ho ...

Chaebal Drama God - please make my dream come true ..

BTW - I warn - I am a shallow viewer .. VERY SHALLOW .. you will see a lot of pervert stuff from me. Please be warned

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Ruler: Master of the Mask" Episodes 5-6

photo849922.jpg

Cheong-eun (played by Shin Hyun-soo) is, to date, the only ally Prince Seon has with any appreciable combat skills. This is put to use immediately, as Cheong-eun has to help Prince Seon fight his way out of last episode's cliffhanger. The ensuing chase, while not making the best logistical sense is very tense and action-packed. The real shocker, though, is how a confrontation between the King's men and an organized crime gang ends with King Yoon telling his own people to back off.

Read full article >> http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-ruler-master-of-the-mask-episodes-5-6-106070.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

What I love about this drama is the fact that it can make so emotional. I was screaming away at 5 am in the morning .. getting all work-up because of the ‘incompetent’ Majesty. Anyway like Maskros pointed out – he must have been doing something to build his network but it’s not the time yet for PD to bring it up – I hope he didn’t just shake his bal errr leg for the past 17 years.

I hope he has built a strong foundation for CP.

Another thing I love about this drama is that I can’t predict the direction. I am glad I didn’t read much about this drama and didn’t bother to check the synopsis .. All I know it that Seung Ho in it – and it all that matter to me … (Yeha I am shallow – I watch drama for the eye candy – kill me)…

And another thing – the drama is brutal … (actually I love this kind of plot where it didn’t ‘care’ about the viewer grief … it would be even brutal if CP who are the one that really beheaded GE father … though it would be very very very disturbing to watch).

I think we should prepare ourselves ….. by the way it’s written so far (3 episode – yeah yeah – I don’t care I want to maintain the 1 hourly episode) …  brace yourselves girls .. this rollercoaster will not have mercy on us ..

51 minutes ago, Bambiina said:

What I love about this drama is the fact that it can make so emotional. I was screaming away at 5 am in the morning .. getting all work-up because of the ‘incompetent’ Majesty. Anyway like Maskros pointed out – he must have been doing something to build his network but it’s not the time yet for PD to bring it up – I hope he didn’t just shake his bal errr leg for the past 17 years.

I hope he has built a strong foundation for CP.

Another thing I love about this drama is that I can’t predict the direction. I am glad I didn’t read much about this drama and didn’t bother to check the synopsis .. All I know it that Seung Ho in it – and it all that matter to me … (Yeha I am shallow – I watch drama for the eye candy – kill me)…

And another thing – the drama is brutal … (actually I love this kind of plot where it didn’t ‘care’ about the viewer grief … it would be even brutal if CP who are the one that really beheaded GE father … though it would be very very very disturbing to watch).

I think we should prepare ourselves ….. by the way it’s written so far (3 episode – yeah yeah – I don’t care I want to maintain the 1 hourly episode) …  brace yourselves girls .. this rollercoaster will not have mercy on us ..

the bodyguard beheaded the minister

i want this to be heavy on tragic romance.. but i don't think we will get much romance.. it is like a sidetrack.. the drma will focus on politics.. 

4 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

the bodyguard beheaded the minister

i want this to be heavy on tragic romance.. but i don't think we will get much romance.. it is like a sidetrack.. the drma will focus on politics.. 

Yeah - Though I was so disturb at the thought of CP beheading the minister (or was it magistrate?) ... I think the impact would be greater if CP the one beheaded minister .. it would be even more heartbreaking. and the dramatic would be even greater. We shall be swimming in our own tears ... 

I love to watch a tragic love story - but I hate if any of the lead die ... I want a tragic and dramatic drama but yet with a happy and satisfying ending .. (I was so in love with Nirvana In fire and latter - General and I - Chinese mainland drama - very dramatic and tragic but yet with happy ending) 

Wahahaha.. I guess it's difficult to fulfilled - in order to be tragic - one (or both) of the lead has to die or at least become cripple .. (lose eyesight .. or limb (somebody part)) . then only it can be consider as tragic .. heeeee ...

I can't wait to cry .. haven't cry for so long .. the other drama didn't make me cry ...  

Archived