[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

I thought firsthand that this will be a cast interview, but it seems So Hyun is the only one accepting interviews to promote Ruler, she's been really busy, I hope she takes care of her health, Fighting So hyunnie! I hope we get an OTP interview atleast or the four of them.

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Premiere Watch: Individualist Ji-young, Ruler, Suspicious Partner

by javabeans

premiere_ruler4a.jpg

With all these dramas ready to air, in the works to air, or currently airing, we realized it can be tricky keeping up with the actual premiere dates of all the new shows. It seemed like it would be helpful to give everyone a last-minute notice right before new shows launched, since I know I never like it when forgetfulness leads to missing something new.

Hence this “Premiere Watch,” which we’re using to alert you to the three new shows airing this week, one each on KBS, MBC, and SBS: the short drama Individualist Ji-young, historical melo Ruler–Master of the Mask, and upbeat romance Suspicious Partner. Let’s see what the week has in store for us!

Spoiler

Individualist Ji-young

individualist_1.jpg

Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Broadcaster: KBS
Genre: Drama
Episode count: 2

Reasons to watch: This looks like a quirky and heartwarming oddball romance with an edge, and it’s that edge that has me intrigued. The teasers showed a dark, troubled undertone for the character played by Min Hyo-rin (Persevere, Gu Hae-ra), who lives as a “perfect individualist,” meaning with zero relationship ties to anybody else. Her life seems anxious and moody, and at first you think that makes her the complete opposite to Gong Myung (Drinking Solo), who’s a bouncy, enthusiastic puppy of a young man who can’t live without affection. But he’s suffering just as much an affliction as she is, since going without human contact actually produces serious emotional consequences for him. I’m expecting a story of warmth and healing as they find each other and perhaps find a better middle ground for themselves.

In the tradition of many Drama Specials and mini-dramas, Individualist Ji-young has a low-budget, lo-fi vibe that I find appealing in its understated way. Sometimes that minimal production value can be a detriment, but then again, sometimes you can find gems among the mini-drama subgenre, so I’ll be hoping for a pleasant surprise here.

Ruler–Master of the Mask

gunju_1.jpg

Time slot: Wednesday & Thursday
Broadcaster: MBC
Genre: Historical, mystery, melodrama, romance
Episode count: 20

Reasons to watch: I know better than to pin all my hopes for a show on the cast, but I can’t help but be swayed by the Yoo Seung-ho/Kim So-hyun match-up here (of Remember–Son’s War and Bring It On, Ghost, respectively). They’re both exceptional young talents from back when they were playing the younger counterparts of everyone under the sun and often stealing the show. (This marks Yoo’s fourth or fifth time playing a king!) Now that they’re young leading stars, I can’t wait to see them tear it up in an intense romantic melo as young lovers turned vengeful enemies (at least on one side—she’s driven by revenge when he becomes responsible for her father’s death).

The story sounds like there’ll be a heavy political component with the shadowy secret society, but the producers seem to know that the young cast is the source of all the buzz, and I expect a lot of work will be put into building up their youthful backstories (all the better to rip our hearts when those bonds are tested by tragedies and challenges). I’m still deeply skeptical of L (She’s So Lovable) having such a prominent role, especially since it pits him directly opposite Yoo Seung-ho when he starts out as the prince’s stand-in and then grows ambitious to claim the throne himself—but if I have to watch with one eye closed, I’ll do it. I also hope the two directors will be able to use him effectively; neither PD has wowed me with past works, but I’m putting an asterisk next to PD Noh Do-chul—his recent dramas haven’t been much to write home about (Twinkle Twinkle, Mother’s Garden), but he did helm old favorite Soulmate, which I always thought was quite smartly directed.

Spoiler

Suspicious Partner

suspiciouspartner_1a.jpg

Time slot: Wednesday & Thursday
Broadcaster: SBS
Genre: Romantic comedy
Episode count: 20

Reasons to watch: I have a lot of hopes for this show, and am trying not to let expectations get ahead of me. First off, I keep hearing about how Ji Chang-wook (The K2) and Nam Ji-hyun (Shopping King Louis) have such amazing chemistry, and it’s something I can picture readily so I’m impatient to see it in action. She’s one of those actresses who can make any character endearing; she brings a winsome sunniness to her roles. While Ji Chang-wook has done light, comedic roles early in his career, he’s been doing so much serious and action-y roles lately that I feared he’d get typecast as the broody lone wolf. Not that he’s bad at brooding, but he’s got a really sweet wide smile (circa Sons of Sol Pharmacy, Bachelor’s Vegetable Store) that hasn’t been on display much lately, and I’ve missed seeing it.

But this is a case where the cast is just a small reason for my interest, because I’m more drawn in by the writer’s involvement; Kwon Ki-young wrote the small but much-loved mystery-thriller-romance I Remember You (as well as the SBS drama All About My Romance). That drama mixed its genres skillfully and created some memorable characters whose story arcs made my heart pinch with emotion. Directing is PD Park Sun-ho, who doesn’t have any solo credits but did co-direct on Legend of the Blue Sea and Jackpot.

Mostly, this looks like a boisterous, fun kind of rom-com, and I’m really ready for a show like that. Assuming it’s good, of course!

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/05/premiere-watch-individualist-ji-young-ruler-suspicious-partner/

1 hour ago, sakura2016 said:

Premiere Watch: Individualist Ji-young, Ruler, Suspicious Partner

Hmmm...one historical...one modern...great cast in both :)...really looking fwd to this wednesday and both dramas start :)...finally!

Hope we'll enjoy in both...though i know Ruler will be sadder, with more tears and harder to heart

5 minutes ago, zagigirl said:

Hmmm...one historical...one modern...great cast in both :)...really looking fwd to this wednesday and both dramas start :)...finally!

Hope we'll enjoy in both...though i know Ruler will be sadder, with more tears and harder to heart

yeah me too and I hope both turns out as great as I wish for them!! :D 

yeah, let's hold on to each other to overcome its hardship!! :) 

@rossy5 many thanks for posting about Hwang Chi Yeul's participation in the OST.   Wishing this  drama all the best (I liked Yoo Seung Ho in "Imaginary Cat" and have read great things about Kim So Hyun's acting), I hope that the OST line-up will also include one of the members of Infinite (HCY was once their vocal coach). 

Spoiler

I normally don't watch K-dramas but the last K-drama that I watched, because HCY sang an OST for it, did really really well, both in quality and ratings-wise. Fingers crossed the same thing happens for Ruler: Master of the Mask :) 

I'm a bit sad that So Hyun did Vapp alone but she really handled the whole 1 hour Vapp well and had a lot of fun. Wonder why they didn't do the Vapp with the whole cast, because if talk about being busy So Hyun must be the one with crazier schedule, and even just with So Hyun and Seung Ho we could have a lot of BTS stories. 

6 minutes ago, sakura2016 said:

yeah me too and I hope both turns out as great as I wish for them!! :D 

yeah, let's hold on to each other to overcome its hardship!! :) 

R you sure your back r strong enough to hold me? :lol: 

Just kidding...yeah...lets! ...its easier in company :wub:

8 hours ago, an05 said:

lol one of the journalists said that they're known as the visual couple by the media. The director was saying how he didn't want to make this into a makjang drama and he did his best not to. He said that it has elements of Romeo and Juliet (well obviously lol). he said that he always wanted to work with sohyun, and always pictures doing a rom com drama and always pictured YSH and KSH together. These are all rough translations and my connection was super slow so I had to refresh like every 10 seconds. 

Myungsoo was apparently picked by audition and the director watched him 5 times before deciding on him. So I hope that means that he's a very good fit for this role.

he wanted to make a rom-com with them but ended up signing them for a drama with Romeo and Juliet story elemets?!! can I hope for a lighter, a little less angstier drama with a happy ending for them then?!! 

looks like the King ordered the killing of Ga Eun's father and showed it as if the Crown Prince was the one who killed him in front of everyone to save Lee Seon's life which sucks and now Lee Seon (Yoo Seung Ho) is aware and full of guilt toward her!! it was painful seeing him trying to cal her name than hold himself back!! :heartbreak: how this will be, he' feels guilty over her father's death and she hates the "Crown Prince" who killed her father but she likes our Crown Prince not knowing who he really is and he already fall for her from 1st sight but he can't act on it!! I'm already in pain with only a long preview?!! OH MY!! 

and I really hate the idea that the communer Lee Seon will have his eye on the throne when he started as a stand-in for the Crown Prince who helped him!! don't want that!! :( 

7 hours ago, akausagi said:

*watched the 5min highlight

If Lee Sun already knows where and who Ga Eun is completely already, how in the world could Ga Eun plot a revenge? Seriously? 

I don't understand a thing in the press conference, but thanks to @an05 I understood the context. Upon reading the rough translation, I wonder if they really asked like why is L casted or the PD oblige to tell the reason why himself. By mentioning to the press about how other PDs warned him in casting myungsoo, isn't a bit hurtful on L's part?

she wants revenge against the masked Crown Prince but she doesn't know he's the one she saved while he was trying to escape those men but dn't know how things will turn out since Lee Seon (Yoo Seung Ho) will try to keep her safe from the fallout of her revenge but how can he do that?!! and what will happen when she reaise he's the one she wanted to kill al that time?!! can someone tell her it's not really him who killed her father?!! 

it can be that they asked about his reasons in casting everyone including L?!! 

6 hours ago, sharreb said:

She looks so cute n sweet , il forgive her stylist for the skirt's frumpy waistline that added inches to a petite girl. She looks youthful and appropriate with the peterpan collar and bright colour. It isnt so bad. Im just drawn to her smile and her eyes.

YSH smile .. And hes so dashing today, outfit n hair and heart arresting smile

Its really a battle of whose cuter and i cant choose. Both of them have beautiful smiles n laughs

agree with you on everything!! :wub: 

7 hours ago, faye406 said:

@syer_87

yup..

"Even though I haven't been paired up with KSH in a project yet, I had a feeling that I had known her for a long time because we both experienced being child actors. When I first met her, KSH is 6 years younger than me, but I couldn't say a word. She's like a noona and she was very mature when she talked. It's a great honor to act with her". - Yoo Seung Ho 

credit to sohyunxjingoo

he's so sweet!! :wub: 

thank you for the translation chingu!! :wub: 

@zagigirl hhhhhhhhh I'll need your shoulder chingu to cry on :confounded: I'm in pain only from watching the long trailer!! did you see it?!! 

Spoiler

let's do it!! :wink: 

thank you all for all the updates!! :wub: and loved the OST teaser!! hope the drama turn out to be a great one!! Ruler, Fighting!! :heart: 

Yoo Seung Ho Admits He Couldn’t Believe How Much Younger Kim So Hyun Is

kim-so-hyun-yoo-seung-ho.jpg

According to her “Ruler: Master of the Mask” co-star Yoo Seung Ho, actress Kim So Hyun is quite the precocious young actress!

On May 8, the two stars attended a promotional press conference for the upcoming MBC drama, where they were joined by the select members of the cast and crew, including INFINITE’s L, Yoon So Hee, Heo Joon Ho, Park Chul Min, and production director No Do Chul.

During the event, Yoo Seung Ho touched upon the first time he met his co-lead, stating that even though he knew that she was six years younger than him, he couldn’t stop speaking to her like she was older.

“She seems like an older sister. She’s extremely mature,” the actor bashfully confessed before offering her a quick apology.

“Once I began talking to her a bit, I felt that speaking comfortably with her was extremely difficult,” he added before expressing his admiration for his co-star. “It is really great that I am able to shoot [a drama] alongside So Hyun.”

Later, veteran actor Park Chul Min admitted he felt similar about Yoo Seung Ho, adding that even called the junior actor “older brother” on set because he is “nature mature and deep-thinking, and shows consideration for others.”

“It feels like there is hardly an age difference between me and Seung Ho. I did not see him very often when we first met, but because we have been together since we were child actors, I thought that we would be comfortable together,” Kim So Hyun admitted, referring to when the two appeared on the 2013 drama “I Miss You.”

“However, when we met again after such a long time, it was extremely awkward because he was nervous and shy. I thought that he was just shy with strangers. Once we got into filming, however, he was a charming and playful actor, so we matched well on set and had fun filming together. There are so many reasons I’m grateful [to work with him].”

Meanwhile, “Ruler: Master of the Mask” will tell the story of a Joseon era prince’s struggle to fight against a powerful and corrupt organization monopolizing the Korean peninsula’s water supply. The drama will air every Wednesday and Thursday on MBC starting on May 10.

Source (1)

https://www.soompi.com/2017/05/08/yoo-seung-ho-admits-couldnt-believe-much-younger-kim-hyun/

I read about L part on his fanpage. Apparently he auditioned for his role multiple times and of course rejected multiple times too. Then he still found avway to appear at the audition desk again and again, and finally his determination moved the director and was chosen despite several opposed opinions. Now I feel sorry for him, knowing how much he wanted and how hard he tried to get this role, then when his casting news came out it was met with a lot of bashful comments. He worked so hard (well I don't know if his hard work will result in better performance yet) and I was moved by his answer today: "please watch me as Actor Kim Myungsoo and forget about Infinite L". 

I can understand why the PDnim didn't want to give L this role at first, because it was a complicated character with many layers of emotion and played an important part in the story so L wasn't the ideal choice. But seeing how determined he was for his role and his 1st Sageuk challenge, all I can do is to cross fingers and hope things turn out well.

3 hours ago, ilwoo_aein said:

"Please look forward to our drama~!!" :heart:

Lee Seon and Lee Seon :heart:

See you on Wednesday Seungho yaa!! Peace yo!! :D

I'm just wondering what should I call both Lee Seon-s?!! I can't call them "communer Lee Seon" and "Crown Prince Lee Seon" since both will act as communers and Crown Prince!!:huh:..............I think I'll just add the actor's name to Lee Seon to not make it complicated!!:sweatingbullets: hhhhh

love the gif!! :wub: and him for sure!! :wub: 

omo!! they acted together before when Yoo Seung Ho was a little child?! so sweet!! :wub: 

cr: owner

The highlight preview looks stunning,starting out as a cute,innocent Prince going outside the Palace and meeting our heroine(i really laughed at his"Am i handsome?")while slowely bulding up that tension and tragedy...The cast is fantastic,with seasoned actors and our main duo doing a fantastic job...Yoo Seung Ho is fantastic and like always delivers his emotional scenes like no other...

That scene were he askes the King,his father,what is even his purpose in being alive when all this people are being sacrificed in his behalf is soo full of emotions,it's amazing....The full amount of things he has to carry at his age is indeed the weight or even more of his status as all of this horrible things are made in the name of protecting him by others and he is mainly a poor bystander without any real power to stop it...

It's quite revolting thinking that a bunch of individuals took what belonged to the whole country in their hands and made it to sell it for their own gain and that they are that powerful that they are having more power than the one the people have their faith in,the Royal Family,the King...It's also intresting that the Niece of the Bad one is actually trying to protect the Prince...

Ah,how i hope this won't end in a tragedy for our main leads as how they so much love to do it in sageuk's...There are so many plots that can be inclued in the story based on the general idea we've got that i'm pretty curious what will be used and what not(among others would be the desire of peasant Lee Sun to become the Kinga nd not just a substitute)...

Watching the preview really felt i was watching a movie...

35 minutes ago, Miky88 said:

The highlight preview looks stunning,starting out as a cute,innocent Prince going outside the Palace and meeting our heroine(i really laughed at his"Am i handsome?")while slowely bulding up that tension and tragedy...The cast is fantastic,with seasoned actors and our main duo doing a fantastic job...Yoo Seung Ho is fantastic and like always delivers his emotional scenes like no other...

That scene were he askes the King,his father,what is even his purpose in being alive when all this people are being sacrificed in his behalf is soo full of emotions,it's amazing....The full amount of things he has to carry at his age is indeed the weight or even more of his status as all of this horrible things are made in the name of protecting him by others and he is mainly a poor bystander without any real power to stop it...

It's quite revolting thinking that a bunch of individuals took what belonged to the whole country in their hands and made it to sell it for their own gain and that they are that powerful that they are having more power than the one the people have their faith in,the Royal Family,the King...It's also intresting that the Niece of the Bad one is actually trying to protect the Prince...

Ah,how i hope this won't end in a tragedy for our main leads as how they so much love to do it in sageuk's...There are so many plots that can be inclued in the story based on the general idea we've got that i'm pretty curious what will be used and what not(among others would be the desire of peasant Lee Sun to become the Kinga nd not just a substitute)...

Watching the preview really felt i was watching a movie...

I really can't wait for the drama to start, it has a great cast and setup!! I had a different version of how things will go between Ga Eun and Crown Prince Lee Seon but it's totally different from what I had in my mind after watching the long trailer!! I thought he'll be anaware of her revenge plot against him while she'll be aware of who he really is but no!! he's actually the one who's aware of who she is and we'll see her lotting and acting on her revenge against him (the Crown Prince) and can't wait to see what he'll do and how things will work between them!! and I really hate that Lee Seon (L) will want to take the real Crown Prince's throne when he suggested to be his stand-by to help him at 1st!! :( I know that my heart will break along the road (I'm already in pain for the Crown Prince) but I hope we will have a happy ending!! PRETTY PLEASE!! 

44 minutes ago, mellinadear said:

Can't wait for the première of this show. I have avoided all previews. I'm excited.

so happy we're only one day from the premiere day!! :w00t: 

cr: ayabloomington

:heartbreak: 

cr: tiramisucmy

cr: owner

Archived