[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keke this may not related to the drama but So Hyun playing with the puppy is so cute that I made a chibi fanart xD just wanna share with you guys while waiting to May 10 :"D 

@maryofbethany tks for mentioning me xD I love reading your posts, they are so insightful :"D And today I read a comment in a Vietnamese forum said that Ga Eun and Lee Seon met through Ga Eun's teacher - Woo Bo. And that's a love story of Sado mentioned in a book of Joseon Kings's love storie. So it means that Lee Seon in the drama is Sado :"/ I havent confirmed that yet but if it is true we will watch a faction not fiction sageuk :") I'm ok as long as the plot is good enough but it seems that a story about Sado is much better than a fictional prince xD 

9 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@maryofbethany

Thank you for tagged me for the drama

I have prior mentioned in pages 52 & 53 of this thread that I will not be participating due to my study tour in Europe

As from the character description, the drama will be a Joseon Dynasty of the Scriptwriter imagination & there will be no references to actual historical character perhaps a loosely based e.g. Han Ga Eun description in this thread on page 70 is going to be Queen Consort (Female 17- 22 years old, 중전,中殿) & this will indicate that Crown Prince Yi Seon (이선) will be King. Crown Prince Yi Seon parents, the Father is just King while his mother is Royal Noble Consort Yeong Bin (영빈) although in history, Crown Prince Sado's mother was indeed Royal Noble Consort Yeongbin of Jeonui Yi clan (영빈 이씨,暎嬪李氏)

In my opinion, the theory of this drama Crown Prince Yi Seon is the history Crown Prince Sado can be laid to rest

@gerrytan8063 i know i remembered you said you wont be in town and will be away from easy access to wiki. but just wanting to hear your takes on the Idenitty of Yi Seon. couldnt help disappointed, that at least they should give him( YSH) a Yi San, King Jeongjo.

then it all about the skillful pen of the writernim, which is a fresh-not known writernim. i guess this Yi Seon is a fictionalised character based on Yi Seon's character.

the only good part that comes out of this, should be we will see real happy ending. and more of OTP sweetness. everywhere i read whether is it at Dramabeans, or  Koala's Playground, dramafever., soompi news.... etc. writers of articles are always saying while they may not be sure about the other productions btu they are waiting and trusting in Ruler.
Hopefully, the acting skill of the whole awesome casts, and the Chemistry that oozes between the Two Leads can met up to the high expectation that people has been praising.,

Since this drama is so highly anticipated, I'm actually anxious. From what I've read, peoples expectations are so high and if the drama doesn't reach that expectation, they could drop the drama and thats what im worried about. Since we are international fans, we can't really do anything about the drama ratings which really upsets me but i just want this drama to be successful>< im not sure if my point got across so I'm sorry if you can't really understand what I'm saying.

I understand everyone's worries given that the airdate is fast approaching (YES!) but me I want to believe in our casts choice in being part of this drama, eventhough the writer is newbie, etc. Esp with Seungho's willingness to be this character since last year, that really could prove his admiration with the whole plot/story, since he's really known to carefully select his projects.

I'm a big fan of KSH, and when she chose to be part of this as well, I really trusted her. Now let's all enjoy all the updates that the team are giving us, fighting Ruler :)

Cr youaremysohyun

Our OTP is so cuuuute hahaha and now they share something in common :):):)

Headless paupers and princes for Ruler–Master of the Mask posters

BOzzq9I.jpg

Preeeetty posters for upcoming Joseon-era drama Ruler–Master of the Mask have just been released. Granted, they do lack something critical: Yoo Seung-ho’s (Remember–Son’s War) beautiful face. But the contrast between the two figures in the elaborate blue and red ceremonial robes, without knowing who they are, does stir curiosity and lend an air of mystery.

Ruler–Master of the Mask is about a crown prince who’s forced to wear a mask as he fights a political war against a powerful hidden faction in his government that seeks to control the nation’s water supply. In the midst of this dangerous internal strife, the crown prince falls in love with a woman who only seeks him out to wreak her revenge on him for executing her father. Kim So-hyun will be playing this character, and I’m so excited to see her in sageuk clothes because she was absolutely gorgeous in The Lonely Shining Goblin.

The recently released posters do not feature her, but center around the enigma surrounding the masked prince. In the first, two figures with dragon emblems adorning their robes face away from each other, while both holding iron masks. Traditionally, red is the color for the king while the crown prince usually wears blue. So does this signify the relationship between the father and son, or is it showing the prince’s past and future juxtaposed together? The copy says, “What can I do to change this corrupt world?”

The copy reads the same on both of the posters below: “I am this Joseon nation’s crown prince, Lee Seon,” but they show completely different stations in life. In the second poster, a pauper walks along a dirt road with peasant huts in the background, while holding the red ceremonial robes in one hand and a mask in the other. The third poster is a closeup of the left side of the first poster, showing a figure in the crown prince’s blue robes with the magnificent palace in the distance.

Perhaps these posters are alluding to L’s (She’s So Lovable) story arc, because he’s supposed to be the prince’s double, whose origins come from the lowest of the low. He’s highly intelligent, but as the son of a butcher, his status in life limits his options and opportunities. (People who dealt with animals and blood on a daily basis were considered to be “dirty,” and were regarded to be on a lower social tier.) I’m not quite sure how this relationship will work out, but I can’t wait to see it soon.

MBC’s Wednesday-Thursday sageuk Ruler–Master of the Mask will premiere on May 10.

Spoiler

C9A3CleUMAA-yKl.jpg

C9A3E9AV0AARWA-.jpg

cr: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/04/headless-paupers-and-princes-for-ruler-master-of-the-mask-posters/

I'm not an expert with Korean history so whenever I try to search Prince Lee Sun, this always appears instead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukjong_of_Joseon

조선 숙종.PNG

Is there any possibilities that this where our YSH's Prince is based with. I read his reign was, how do I describe this, INTERESTING. I know I read somewhere in the start of this of this forum that I think it was already mentioned. I just forgotten what and why.

BTW I love your fanarts @junghana2104, I will be anticipating one of your artworks in the future chingu :D

6 hours ago, akausagi said:

I'm not an expert with Korean history so whenever I try to search Prince Lee Sun, this always appears instead:

Is there any possibilities that this where our YSH's Prince is based with. I read his reign was, how do I describe this, INTERESTING. I know I read somewhere in the start of this of this forum that I think it was already mentioned. I just forgotten what and why.

BTW I love your fanarts @junghana2104, I will be anticipating one of your artworks in the future chingu :D

Thats also what came to my mind but sukjong was called Lee Sun and YSH is Lee Seon plus all dramas about king sukjong r about queen inhyun and jang heebin whom aren't mentioned in the cast.

@bluroses @akausagi

"I'm not an expert with Korean history so whenever I try to search Prince Lee Sun, this always appears instead:"

"Thats also what came to my mind but sukjong was called Lee Sun and YSH is Lee Seon plus all dramas about king sukjong r about queen inhyun and jang heebin."

It is not Sukjong when the era is given as 1700s

You have to see the hangeul name & not the romanisation

Sukjong given name is Yi Sun (순,李焞) while the drama is Crown Prince Yi Seon (세자 선, 李愃) which is also Crown Prince Sado given name as well

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/gunju/cast/cast01.html

Then you have the cast "천민 이선" Cheonmin Yi Seon literally Commoner Yi Seon who is given the description as "가짜 왕" (Fake King)

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/gunju/cast/cast03.html

Are we looking at the Prince & the Pauper?

6 hours ago, akausagi said:

Hi chingu I've read posts that all of you there discuss whether Yoo Seung Ho is Sado or not. 
Up to now, MBC haven't noticed that the Prince of this drama is Crown Prince Sado (사도세자) or not. But, it seemed that some of you there had a mistake about the name of this character. The Prince name is Lee Seon (이선)! You can find this name in any news about Ruler in Korean. This is different from Lee Soon (이순) - the real name of King Sukjong you mentioned before! I've asked my friend who know Korean and she said that both Lee Seon and Lee Soon can be written as Lee Sun! From I searched on Wiki, Lee Soon (King Sukjong) is grandfather of Lee Seon! A careless at the first translation into English drive people this wrong! I've mentioned these name in my old post but none of you care about this. So sad! I've followed this drama from the first news (since they noticed that Yoo Seung Ho was considering, just few days before his 23rd birthday). I searched for the name "Lee Seon", found out this is Sado's name and read a lot of things about this Prince. A mystery and tragic story life of Sado make me hope and believe Yoo Seung Ho will be Sado. 
I always think Yoo Seung Ho's character is Sado so when I saw L - the one who will be fake Lee Seon in the drama wears the red robe, I was very confused and thought I was wrong. And... just hours ago, my friend sent me this picture! A picture of Sado! He is in a read robe!

2550A234541A9B691A26DD

I'm not sure but maybe a Prince can wear the red robe and have a power like a King when he regent ( represent the King to control the country). Some sources says that Sado regented in a short time (but not completely). This assumption is fit to the drama's plot and history that the King was affeted by the offices and the Prince fought against them.In fact, the time and some event mentioned in news quite fit to Sado's times. In addition, the first news noticed that "Ruler" is a sageuk drama and base on some historical events "just some and not totally historical!". Not all of the "historical drama/movie" totally based on true history events. The writers can find "a hole" of history, change and develope the storyline but still keep them in logically and acceptably.

Yoo Seung Ho's character can be Sado or not. The drama hasn't aired yet and everything is behind the curtain. Just wait till that day haha.

Anyway, I'm really hope Lee Seon will be Sado, see Yoo Seung Ho drive mad and die at the end as Crown Prince Sado hahahahaha

18 hours ago, Jelly Filan Safi said:

Hi chingu I've read posts that all of you there discuss whether Yoo Seung Ho is Sado or not. 
Up to now, MBC haven't noticed that the Prince of this drama is Crown Prince Sado (사도세자) or not. But, it seemed that some of you there had a mistake about the name of this character. The Prince name is Lee Seon (이선)! You can find this name in any news about Ruler in Korean. This is different from Lee Soon (이순) - the real name of King Sukjong you mentioned before! I've asked my friend who know Korean and she said that both Lee Seon and Lee Soon can be written as Lee Sun! From I searched on Wiki, Lee Soon (King Sukjong) is grandfather of Lee Seon! A careless at the first translation into English drive people this wrong! I've mentioned these name in my old post but none of you care about this. So sad! I've followed this drama from the first news (since they noticed that Yoo Seung Ho was considering, just few days before his 23rd birthday). I searched for the name "Lee Seon", found out this is Sado's name and read a lot of things about this Prince. A mystery and tragic story life of Sado make me hope and believe Yoo Seung Ho will be Sado. 
I always think Yoo Seung Ho's character is Sado so when I saw L - the one who will be fake Lee Seon in the drama wears the red robe, I was very confused and thought I was wrong. And... just hours ago, my friend sent me this picture! A picture of Sado! He is in a read robe!

I'm not sure but maybe a Prince can wear the red robe and have a power like a King when he regent ( represent the King to control the country). Some sources says that Sado regented in a short time (but not completely). This assumption is fit to the drama's plot and history that the King was affeted by the offices and the Prince fought against them.In fact, the time and some event mentioned in news quite fit to Sado's times. In addition, the first news noticed that "Ruler" is a sageuk drama and base on some historical events "just some and not totally historical!". Not all of the "historical drama/movie" totally based on true history events. The writers can find "a hole" of history, change and develope the storyline but still keep them in logically and acceptably.

Yoo Seung Ho's character can be Sado or not. The drama hasn't aired yet and everything is behind the curtain. Just wait till that day haha.

Anyway, I'm really hope Lee Seon will be Sado, see Yoo Seung Ho drive mad and die at the end as Crown Prince Sado hahahahaha

Hello Guys, Thank you to everyone here who corrected my misunderstanding :D So it's Lee Seon not Lee Sun .. I do admit i'm a newbie on this, because I usually have other geeky hobbies other than watching Kdrama. But I started getting interested with korean history because of your informative discussions in this thread. 

Anyway I had learned that Princes can wear red robes, and the only difference noticeable with that of the king is the number of toes in the dragon sigil, five toes for the king and 4 toes for the crown prince or so. I read it somewhere but I forgot. Maybe it was on some commenters or an article :ph34r: Please do confirm so if I was mistaking..

Archived