[Drama 2016] Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim 낭만닥터 김사부 Baeksang Best Director

pandalover1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, angel2013 said:

I'm actually quite impressed with young Do's surgical skills and his calmness. 

And there they meet again TK and Dir Do then with SJ and Young Do.

So that's why Dir Do slapped his son?

The truth is that all 3 of them r excellent medical material...to bad that a lot of things get before pure medicine practice

He then goes on to call Dong-joo a fool for not running a CT scan on the patient and by trying to give up his own principles so as to mimic Master Kim's style. He rubs it in, that Dong-joo almost caused a patient's death in trying to follow him and calls him out for all his excuses. 

It's scathing, cruel and heartless, and I love it! Master Kim has such a strong personality and is so different from the stereotypical tender-hearted, caring teacher that he's really refreshing. His treatment of Seo-Jung is no better, cruelly rubbing into it that she's now an orderly, but she takes it with humility because she knows there's much to learn from him. I'm starting to appreciate Dong-joo for his willingness to question and even talk back to Master Kim, because he's not one who will just take Master Kim's scoldings. Even though he may be a coward, I like that Dong-joo is able to stand up for himself, defend his own actions and even question Master Kim. In that aspect, I think he's a notch above Seo-Jung, because it's only through his insistent questioning of Master Kim that he's able to glean out more learning points for himself

Cr: heroonthebeach soompi | kdramaanalysis.wordpress.com

I agree that in that aspect DJ does deserve some points although I’m not sure if he is better than SJ in that aspect as we haven’t seen how SJ learns from TK (since he is ignoring her). I noticed that TK actually fully entrusted DJ to call the shots in that operation, which means, as much as he dislikes DJ as being an arrogant brat, he does see him as a doctor and believes that he can make his own decisions and own mistakes. As prideful as he is, DJ does have his own principles that he abides by as can be seen as how he refuses to perform surgery in the ER. However, in that scene he decides to cast those principles away instead of making decisions based on his own judgement of what’s best for the patient, which I believe is because he thought it was what the best doctor (which he thinks is TK) would do. This actually reminds me of what my past teachers advice (when I was still in that health-related course and albeit in a nicer way than TK) that we should not try to copy and be another clinician because we can’t. Because what works for a certain clinician might not work for us. You cannot casually mimic the style of another clinician who has had years, even decades worth of experience, mistakes and trial and error to figure out what works and what does not work for them enabling them to skip some of the steps a newbie would be expected to do. Because of this, I feel DJ mimicked TK just to mimic the style of a great doctor without a full understanding why he does what he does. TK was able to pick up on this, and given his existent dislike for DJ he became visibly angry and perhaps even disappointed in him for doing so. He probably believed DJ to be a competent doctor despite his dislike for him, but to see that his current principles lie in being a great doctor for pride’s sake instead of treating for the sake of the patient, must have increased his disappointment in him.

On a lighter note, I also liked the scene where Nurse Oh was able to identify what the patient really needed was food. I don’t know why, but it reminded me of a scene in this movie called Stonehearst asylum where this psychiatrist Dr. Newgate, in trying to get an old lady to eat, (who still believes her son is still alive and fighting the war) he role-played as her son and he does so with so much compassion and understanding. Not sure why, but I feel like Nurse Oh might have had some experience dealing with mental health patients seeing as how president yeo fully trust her to try and coax SJ from slitting her hand when she was having her hallucinatory episode. It would be nice to explore more on her history as a nurse. It’s nice that this drama not only gave attention to the surgeons and the doctors but also the allied health as well (even if it’s just the nurse).

Oh and I love the scene where admin had to deal with the reporters and kept going on the topic of how great their Doctors’ are despite the journalists asking to know the number of deaths and the injured. He must really love Doldam hospital. Lol.

Spoiler

I hope I'm not interrupting in the screencapping. :sweatingbullets: Oh @heroonthebeach I totally agree on the Dr. Do's portrayal as being too over the top evil for my liking. Unless... he has his own backstory on why he became that way? Maybe his jealousy of Dr.Boo Yong Joo made him that way? Either that or he has a personality disorder...hahaha:sweatingbullets:

WOW DO AND TK MEETING...CONFRONTATION TIME......WOW TK MENTIONED YOUNG DO IN FRONT OF HIS DAD ..DO IS NOT LOOKING HAPPY...BUFFERING I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND BUT DR DO  IS LOOKING SHOCKED...SJ HAS MORE FLASHBACKS ...DR DO AND SJ...SHE TOLD HIM SHE WANTS TO BE A DOCTOR ...HE WAS SO SWEET AND NICE WITH HER BACK THEN ...TODAY HE IS COLD AND RUDE IN FRONT OF HER...WHY HE CHANGED?WHAT MADE HIM CHANGE

TK and the rest finished the surgery. TK instructs SJ to follow him but they meet manager Jang followed by President Do. SJ greets him in a surprised manner, president she says. IB greets him, father. The president looked surprised too. TK laughs at the sudden turn of events. 

TK speaks with SJ and IB in private. He starts castigating SJ she stands her ground, backed by IB. They said if they didn't do it the patient would be in a bad way. We then see the preview of SJ telling TK that she's a doctor too. Manager Jang interrupts them.

TK leaves them with the manager. SJ falls on her knees and begins to show deep regret at her bravado, what has she done? IB looks at her curiously.

Nurse Park and the young miss who was fed seem to be talking, she asking him a favor? Nurse Oh chimes in. The girls suddenly performs the duties of an attendant...cute.

I LOST SOME MOMENTS ...TK CALLED SOMEBODY...A HELICOPTER CAME ...TOOK A PATIENT ...DJ AND TK...HE NEEDS ANSWERS ...TK IS NOT READY TO GIVE HIM...DJ REMEMBERS DR SONG WORDS ...WOMAN IS CALLING HER HUSBAND (DJ PATIENT) TOLD HIM SHE NEEDS HIM ,LOVES HIM ...SJ IS WATCHING THEM TOUCHED

TK, President Do and the director meet up and talk. They seem to be discussing the crazy turn of events. President Do is prepared with his plans for Goedae? TK is just calmly discussing things with him. The president looks proud and pissed but they continue to talk. The president is getting mad, TK informs him of his plans and the director suddenly chokes on his tea.

SJ is now pacing listlessly at the lobby. President Do sees her, he looks like he was hurt and betrayed to see her there. SJ apologizes, he leaves her angry. He gets out of the hospital and sees his son, he slaps him. He then leaves him there staring and hurt.

DJ is on the phone looking frustrated, he is upset and angry. TK enters the ER and sees him. As DJ was dialing, TK gets the phone from him and calls in a calm manner. He was able to secure a chopper to airlift DJ's patient lol. 

TK and DJ are walking back to the hospital, they seem to be discussing again. TK is again teaching him and leaved DJ bemused. He remembers Dr. Song calling TK a psychopath and he looks worried. 

Omo what's with the situation? did Dir Do just sent an entourage of his lackeys to Doldam hospital? to create havoc? to keep an eye on TK?

and DJ had his wish granted, he slept with SJ hahaha :P

The relationships are getting complicated but I like it :sweatingbullets:

Ok now I have to wait another week.....to know what happens next

YOUNG DO IS WAITING HIS BUS...BUS ARRIVED ...BUS LEFT HE STAYED...IN HIS OFFICE DIRECTOR DO IS CALLING TK NAME WITH HATE ...NEXT MORNING TK IS TOLD TO COME...WE HAVE YOUNG DO ,CORRUPT CHIEF SONG AND SOME NURSES ...SEEMS THEY'LL JOIN THE HOSPITAL TEAM...WOW I DON'T LIKE SONG LOOK...I BET DO SENT HIM TO RUIN TK FROM INSIDE...NO PREVIEW

A woman walks into the ER looking for her husband. SJ shows her where he was. She sees husband and begins to cry, she tells her him she loves him. SJ watches from afar and she begins to cry. Oh he's the guy they saved earlier? 

Nurse Park sees the girl whom they fed, by now she was doing the chores of an orderly, mopping floors etc. He gives her a candy bar but the girl only has eyes for DJ. 

TK, Dr. Nam and Nurse Oh are gathered at some place and they begin to eat and drink, another eventful day has passed at great old Doldam. 

We see DJ enter the doctors lounge and sees SJ fast asleep at the table. He covers her with his jacket and sits right across from her. He gently touches her injured wrist and starts looking at her lovingly. Aww...so sweet. He falls asleep holding her hand. 

We also see a dejected IB at a bus stop. A bus arrives but he doesn't get in. He touches his cheek. We also see president Do looking listless drinking by his lonesome at his office.

Manager Jang suddenly bursts at the ER shouting. We see staff from Geodae with their luggage in tow greeting TK and his staff, Yey a stern looking IB. Dr. Song and some nurses bow down in greeting END.

Another great episode. They really deserve to be number 1 in ratings. 

@supergal99 you are always quick with the raw cuts.:w00t:

SJ didn't recognise IB at first until she learned that he is Dir Do's son. i still think SJ relationship with Dir Do is a mystery, although the mum seems to have left a note for her to look for Dir Do? But he never answered her question on whether he is the father or not. Is he really the father or just someone who took SJ in and that's why she also want recognition from him? Why IB say he cannot remember SJ when he clearly did?

SJ mustered up all her courage to tell TK that she is after all a doctor only to collapse after he left the room :sweatingbullets: and regretting it. But its a big step for her and I'm glad she took a step forward in that.

I dunno why DJ is so easily swayed by what Dr Song said about TK. I hope he sees for himself who is the real thing here.

More chaos next week? its exciting but I hope it won't become a mess with such a big crowd in doldam hospital, I was kinda enjoying the peace and quiet with the occasional emergencies :sweatingbullets: but I guess they have to up the stakes to make it more interesting, looking forward.

Thanks to all who are here for the LIVE, you all made it so much more fun :blush:

10 hours ago, drmjs said:

See with DJ, it wasn't just about emulating TK, he willingly gave up his usual thoroughness so that he could perform his surgery faster with the hope of joining or observing TK at work. It looked like DJ was willing to eschew certain rules for personal gain.  We actually saw this before, during his failed surgery at Goedae. DJ wanted to showcase his skills in front of President Do with the hopes of career advancement. I remember wondering why he failed to check on the patient's condition prior to surgery or did he naively walk into President Do's plan of bringing him down a few notches?

Sorry to cut your post.

Yeah I noticed that too...Given his usual thoroughness, to have missed out on something as basic as checking the patient's medical history does seem pretty strange. And thanks for pointing out that DJ must have wanted to finish the surgery quicker in order to observe TK. Never noticed that.

I feel that the reason DJ was able to top his class before the 5 year time skip was because he strongly held on onto his goal and principle to be a doctor that is just and sincere, but ever since he changed his priorities to that of career advancement, it looks as though he has lost direction and is acting like a doctor who has no idea what he is doing or what his goal is when treating patients (like how he forgot to check on the patient's medical history or when he decided to operate on a patient by fully trusting doctor's words that the patient had 30% chance of surviving without checking it for himself).

Archived