Why are you hooked on Korean entertainment (K-pop, Drama, Celebrity, Show)?

A bunch of people I know, don’t know much about Korean entertainment, let alone K-pop, and how massive it is. :blink:

Help me show them what a big part of our lives it has become....:D

How and what got you into Korean entertainment (if it doesn’t relate to a k-pop group as already discussed in a previous thread)?

It could be the time you saw a music video playing at McDonald’s in New York City or your aunt was watching a Korean drama on TV, or your little sister insisted on watching a Korean variety show and you had nothing else to do……or you were traveling and came across a K-pop product. 

What do you think differentiates Korean entertainment from other countries? What about it makes you thirsty for more? 

Would you consider it a gateway to Korean culture?

Have you looked into other things about Korea and Korean culture after you were hooked on K-entertainment? 

Is visiting Korea on your bucket list?

Do you semi-understand Korean and have you added random Korean words in your daily language?

Have you ever bought something because you saw it on TV or your favorite K-celeb wear or use it?

SHARE WHY IT’S SO SPECIAL AND WHY YOU LOVE IT ALL.

THE REASONS WHY YOU’RE HOOKED ONCE YOU START :wub:

(don't hesitate to pm me too!)

• 4 weeks later...

How and what got you into Korean entertainment (if it doesn’t relate to a k-pop group as already discussed in a previous thread)?

Believe it or not, I had discovered K-pop through school. This was in the “Growl” EXO era and I was quite young, still in primary school (in first year at high school now), and we did a project on South Korea. When we were watching a video on YouTube about Korea, I saw a recommendation (is that it?) on the side of the screen saying “EXO – Growl”. I was generally curious, because I'm naturally a really curious person...which has turned out to have its perks! Especially in this situation.

I searched up EXO's Growl on YouTube at home and listened to it – I became addicted! I love love loved Chen and D.O's voices (I still do, but they particularily reached out to me then). I looked more into EXO, started evolving into a fan, checked S.M Town's YouTube for anymore EXO stuff and basically just became hooked – even more so over the years! I'm really glad that I discovered it. It's made me happy and shaped me into the fangirling, sweet, peppy, adorable, happy mess that I am now.

What do you think differentiates Korean entertainment from other countries? What about it makes you thirsty for more?

American entertainment just seems blatant ly giving off a message about sex and was full of generic lyrics – the only dancing mostly being merely twerking. Yet Korean entertainment has a lot of work + talent put into it, irrestible themes, talented dances...so much effort, which just satisfies me. If there is a song about sex, it's not heavily suggested through the lyrics and dancing – and if there's sexy dancing, it's not just twerking – it has so much variety. Look at Hyuna's “How's This!”. That has sexy dancing but has a lot of different moves.

It's really hard to explain.

Yes. I feel like I've misinterpreted the question, but...

Without K-pop, South Korea wouldn't be the same. It would just feel unnatural and strange if K-pop had never existed.

Have you looked into other things about Korea and Korean culture after you were hooked on K-entertainment?

Yes. I've thought of going to South Korea when I'm older, and I've also searched al ot about South Korea + Korean culture beyond any school studies, so I would say that K-pop has introduced me to the whole Korean culture.

Okay, so just why I am still into Kpop and Kdrama, is because... I can't really put it into words easily... it's just really powerful. I think it's something that I really appreciate and can relate to. I like how most kdramas are unquie but appropriate and have this message. And how Korean celebrities are so respectful and stuff, though they might be force to. It's just something that have inspire me in so many ways, that though it's a bit sad, almost inseparable. But I am thankful and happy in every way because I know Kpop. 

• 1 month later...

@super2016 said:-

• How and what got you into Korean entertainment (if it doesn’t relate to a k-pop group as already discussed in a previous thread)?
  • What do you think differentiates Korean entertainment from other countries? What about it makes you thirsty for more?
  • Would you consider it a gateway to Korean culture?
  • Have you looked into other things about Korea and Korean culture after you were hooked on K-entertainment? 

Hmm, let's see so many questions... I'll do my best to answer LoL:D

1). I actually wasn't as immersed into the Hallyu Wave, I think it sort of crept in subconsciously without me realizing it. I remembered hearing Sorry Sorry by Super Junior and the artist Rain but thought their music was nothing special. I guess it wasn't until Gangnam Style by PSY that it sort of exploded. You'd have to be living in a cave to miss it LoL. Also round the same time I'd been casually watching a few K-Dramas. And was hooked by the ones I watched. That was before I discovered online streaming heh. So I was basically watching on DVDs. Phew that was a long, detailed answer to a simple question LoL! Oh welp:P

2). The good looking actors for one thing HA. Also the cinematography, it's all very beautifully shot and glossy. It's equal parts plot and also for shallow reasons obviously.

3). Er... sort of I guess(?) Because you need to draw from real life to create fiction if that makes sense. Of course it's not to be taken as the gospel as some are tweaked for dramatization purposes.

4). Not really LoL. Well, OK maybe on the actors but nothing more. I tried Bibimbap and some of their Ramyeon as well as Tteokbokki. I still love Japanese food though. Nothing wrong with K-Food it's just a preference is all *shrug* I have mixed feelings on making Seoul my holiday getaway as I've read, heard many misconceptions on foreigners in particular Asians. I've asked several acquaintances of mine who've been there & they don't really have much to share LoL oddly don't know why. Yea I do understand a few here & there but not fluent enough sadly.  And I use Aigoo, Omo a lot LoL! I've been a Samsung user for 5 years now:D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

These Korean hotties have chocolate abs worth melting for. 

They don't have only great and sexy abs but all of them have the quality of being gorgeous. Absolutely breathtaking! 

Ok Taec Yeon
OkTaecYeon.th.jpg

So Ji Sub
SoJiSub.th.jpg

Nickhun
Nickhun.th.jpg

Noo Min Woo
NooMinWoo.th.jpg

Nam Goong Min
NamGoongMin.th.jpg

Jung Woo
JungWoo.th.jpg

Kim Bum
KimBum.th.jpg

Choi Siwon
ChoiSiwon.th.jpg

Joo Sang Wook
JooSangWook.th.jpg

Do Yeseong
DoYeseong.th.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • How and what got you into Korean entertainment (if it doesn’t relate to a k-pop group as already discussed in a previous thread)?
  • What do you think differentiates Korean entertainment from other countries? What about it makes you thirsty for more?
  • Would you consider it a gateway to Korean culture?
  • Have you looked into other things about Korea and Korean culture after you were hooked on K-entertainment? 

It all started with Gangnam Style. Before that, I didn't even know K-Pop was a thing :) However, I noticed a girl in PSY's MV and wondered who that was. Turned out to be HyunA, a singer herself. After that, I found Bubblepop and it all started rolling from there. Song after song, hour after hour, searching for new K-Pop. I finally made a playlist on Youtube which now has well over 700 songs :)
After a while, I got sucked into K-Drama. I was bored and thought "Why the hell not" when Netflix offered me Coffee Prince. The rest is history lol :D 

K-Entertainment is much more produced so it just looks better. Choreography is on point, songs are lit, fan engagement is off the charts. I've never seen any popstar interact with his/her fans as much as K-Pop idols do. They hook you in nice tunes and reel you in with everything they do for you. It makes me feel special :)

Certainly do! The K-Wave is incredible. It has certainly made Korea look more welcoming to outsiders and has attracted a lot of tourists to Korea.

Yup, looked into standards of living, nature, etc. It just got me interested in Korea all together :) 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/2/2016 at 8:53 PM, super2016 said:

A bunch of people I know, don’t know much about Korean entertainment, let alone K-pop, and how massive it is. :blink:

Help me show them what a big part of our lives it has become....:D

It could be the time you saw a music video playing at McDonald’s in New York City or your aunt was watching a Korean drama on TV, or your little sister insisted on watching a Korean variety show and you had nothing else to do……or you were traveling and came across a K-pop product. 

Is visiting Korea on your bucket list?

Do you semi-understand Korean and have you added random Korean words in your daily language?

Have you ever bought something because you saw it on TV or your favorite K-celeb wear or use it?

SHARE WHY IT’S SO SPECIAL AND WHY YOU LOVE IT ALL.

THE REASONS WHY YOU’RE HOOKED ONCE YOU START :wub:

(don't hesitate to pm me too!)

Got hooked after watching my first korean drama on youtube way back then. I think it was Lee da hee's My Girl. For kpop, got curious because of the nice and catchy songs being played on the background of dramas. Got curious with kpop first by the Wonder Girls then got hooked because of SNSD. Was checking kpop out back then because of news suggested by this site and by another site then.

Archived