[Daily Drama 2016] You Are a Gift 당신은 선물 / Thank you for watching!

Guest ina111

18 hours ago, valsava said:

@Mailelei  I'm sorry to say this but he's doom to die or leave I don't see a happy ending for him.I also wish the writer didn't make such a nice guy go through this tradegy but somebody has to go..

Wow TH is digging her and fake son deeper and deeper behind bars. When all her dirt is exposed they both want have any place to sjow there faces..  

YA apologised to YH for approving DJ-HS marriage and YH seeing HS happy, he then chose to take revenge then to pursue taking HS back cos YH doesn't want to upset his mother to break up their marriage. Hence  I believed YH may leave but not die. YA also doesnt want to hurt DJ because he is also her step-son and he always defends her. Feel that HS may not go back to YH if given a choice because she felt cheated that YH never wanted to reveal himself  instead he lied and passed off as LWJ and this will hurt HS real bad that he was more interested in taking revenge rather than go back her HS's family. They are fated not to be together as what fortune teller had predicted.

This drama seems to focus more on the revenge with too much scenes on TH, YA, SR, SJ and now YH but few scenes of HS. Doesn't make sense that the leading actress HS gets so little appearance about her life, marriage and her son. It is the script which caused viewers to conclude that there is no chemistry between DJ-HS. I dont find HS acting very impressive but both TH and SR acting as evils can win supporting actress awards and so is SJ as an actor. 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/1/2016 at 4:20 PM, kimjung123 said:

DJ is a good son, husband & step-father and legally married to HS. If both of them married because they love each other, it does not make logical sense to divorce if DJ's mother is a murderer. Never happens in the real world, maybe in dramas that couples divorced due to their parents' crimes.  How would ppl judge HS for being fickle-minded to change husbands to suit herself. She already told Sera even if YH comes alive, she will not go back to YH and leave DJ. This is how YH's mother feels also that DJ & HS should not break up because of YH, she was the one who advised HS to marry DJ.

YH is pathetic but he would not want to ruin HS happiness, think he would leave with his mother for another country to get treatment. Will HS gets pregnant with DJ? 

Do you think that HS scenes diminished because her story line didn't appeal to the viewers, so the writers had to change their thinking and creat a different plot to attract more attention to the drama?  I know that the synopsis stated that this drama was all about her life and how she struggles to find happiness, but when we saw more of the revenge story and more visibility of the other characters; I realized that the writers had to make some changes to keep the drama interesting hoping the viewership would increase.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, kimjung123 said:

YA apologised to YH for approving DJ-HS marriage and YH seeing HS happy, he then chose to take revenge then to pursue taking HS back cos YH doesn't want to upset his mother to break up their marriage. Hence  I believed YH may leave but not die. YA also doesnt want to hurt DJ because he is also her step-son and he always defends her. Feel that HS may not go back to YH if given a choice because she felt cheated that YH never wanted to reveal himself  instead he lied and passed off as LWJ and this will hurt HS real bad that he was more interested in taking revenge rather than go back her HS's family. They are fated not to be together as what fortune teller had predicted.

This drama seems to focus more on the revenge with too much scenes on TH, YA, SR, SJ and now YH but few scenes of HS. Doesn't make sense that the leading actress HS gets so little appearance about her life, marriage and her son. It is the script which caused viewers to conclude that there is no chemistry between DJ-HS. I dont find HS acting very impressive but both TH and SR acting as evils can win supporting actress awards and so is SJ as an actor. 

HS probably needs to do more acting since she has been away from the entertainment business for so long. I believe that after a few more dramas her acting will improve. I know that YA, TH, and SJ are stellar actors. Hopefully some of the actors in the drama win awards.

@Mailelei @kimjung123  I think you may be right in that the script was written badly and it allowed the viewers to see the non-chemistry between DJ & HS. HS (the actress) being away from the entertainment industry for quite a while probably needed more time and a better script to get back into the thick of things. This drama has not allowed her to adjust. The actor portraying DJ hasn't helped her improve be it chemistry or just character development. Do you know if the actors audition for these roles, or were they chosen to play them by the PD?

The writer may have had a great plot/idea to start with, but it derailed really fast. Does anyone know the ratings for this drama? Did it affect the writing? Many times when ratings are very low, the drama will turn makjang and usually viewers will tune in to see the "train wreck." I remember watching a daily called "Princess Aurora." What the daily started out as was nothing close to it by the end. The writer had problems with the cast, and she killed off every family member of the lead actress. The main lead actor became a supporting role (by the middle of the drama) and eventually she killed him off too. The supporting role (came into the storyline much later) became the lead and ended up with the lead actress. Every viewer complained not just the actors (behind the scene). MBC also had problems with the writer. They changed her original ending because the one she wrote did not make any sense. They eventually cut off ties with her (as another MBC drama penned by her went crazy too). She has since then retired. If you had read the synopsis, it was nowhere near what it originally was. I wonder if this daily drama will become like that.

We do see less and less of HS in every episode now. The revenge story has taken center stage (but to be quite honest, this plot got me back watching the drama as I had stopped because it was just too boring). I'm hoping that this drama will not surpass +100 episodes, otherwise it will drag.

15 minutes ago, whome said:

@Mailelei @kimjung123  I think you may be right in that the script was written badly and it allowed the viewers to see the non-chemistry between DJ & HS. HS (the actress) being away from the entertainment industry for quite a while probably needed more time and a better script to get back into the thick of things. This drama has not allowed her to adjust. The actor portraying DJ hasn't helped her improve be it chemistry or just character development. Do you know if the actors audition for these roles, or were they chosen to play them by the PD?

The writer may have had a great plot/idea to start with, but it derailed really fast. Does anyone know the ratings for this drama? Did it affect the writing? Many times when ratings are very low, the drama will turn makjang and usually viewers will tune in to see the "train wreck." I remember watching a daily called "Princess Aurora." What the daily started out as was nothing close to it by the end. The writer had problems with the cast, and she killed off every family member of the lead actress. The main lead actor became a supporting role (by the middle of the drama) and eventually she killed him off too. The supporting role (came into the storyline much later) became the lead and ended up with the lead actress. Every viewer complained not just the actors (behind the scene). MBC also had problems with the writer. They changed her original ending because the one she wrote did not make any sense. They eventually cut off ties with her (as another MBC drama penned by her went crazy too). She has since then retired. If you had read the synopsis, it was nowhere near what it originally was. I wonder if this daily drama will become like that.

We do see less and less of HS in every episode now. The revenge story has taken center stage (but to be quite honest, this plot got me back watching the drama as I had stopped because it was just too boring). I'm hoping that this drama will not surpass +100 episodes, otherwise it will drag.

Ratings for episode 76

TNMS:  Nationwide - 7.7 ( 16th).  Seoul - 7.6. (13th ). Nielsen Korea:  NW - 8.9 ( 13th ). Seoul:  8.7 ( 14th)

I know ratings started increasing when Yun Ho returned and even when he was shown off and on you would see increase in the ratings. The ratings really picked up from episode 54.  Of they do fluctuate.  Episode 73 was finally able to get into the top ten  at 9.1. (9th) in the Nielsen Korea ratings for the Korea viewers. You are a Gift has been slated for 120 episodes. Do you think they enough of a storyline to increase it more.

3 minutes ago, Mailelei said:

Ratings for episode 76

TNMS:  Nationwide - 7.7 ( 16th).  Seoul - 7.6. (13th ). Nielsen Korea:  NW - 8.9 ( 13th ). Seoul:  8.7 ( 14th)

I know ratings started increasing when Yun Ho returned and even when he was shown off and on you would see increase in the ratings. The ratings really picked up from episode 54.  Of they do fluctuate.  Episode 73 was finally able to get into the top ten  at 9.1. (9th) in the Nielsen Korea ratings for the Korea viewers. You are a Gift has been slated for 120 episodes. Do you think they enough of a storyline to increase it more.

Oh jeez, help me now ... 

4 hours ago, whome said:

Oh jeez, help me now ... 

I hope they just stick to the schedule of 120 episodes. Expose all of TH's criminal deeds, put her away for life. I think she deserves that sentence, life in prison for three murders, one attempted murder (almost killed YH), and kidnapping. Plus we don't know how many more crimes she will commit before the drama ends. I don't know about SJ and SR and her mother. I'm sure they'll get what whatever punishment due them. Then YH can reveal his identity and go back to his mother YA. Will be interesting to see if both mother and son leave together. What will happen to the TSK group? I don't even want to  think about that. DJ doesn't have the business savvy or maturity based on my observations. Of course, they haven't really shown him in action when it comes to the business dealings of the company and he hasn't shown any interest in becoming the Chairman. It would be great to see more action and less dragging!

I don't know whether the actors/actresses were sent scripts or if some of them had to audition for their roles. I would think that the more experienced ones were sent scripts since the PD/writers know what they're capable of and also may have worked with some of them previously. I watched the press conference but no subs. So couldn't understand what was being said. Shim Ji-Ho's (YH)  portion of the interview was quite lengthy . At first I thought his role was just a cameo 'cuz it looked like he was going to die-----but he came back! So now we have this great revenge plot that brought back some viewers .

Concur with both Mailelei and whome. Yes indeed the drama is getting very boring and long-winded mainly focusing on TH's crimes on a wild goose chase going round in circles to cause trouble to ex-husband's family. What is the title of "You are a Gift" means in this drama when the script concentrate so much on taking revenge and why is it taking so long to solve the murder mysteries and letting TH & SJ get away with damaging oher ppl lives. The story is supposed to be on HS going through all the bad times to get happiness in the end but is it happening? Expected to see more scenes on HS. Really can't stand SR giving HS such a hard time to accuse her for almost everything.

3 hours ago, kimjung123 said:

Concur with both Mailelei and whome. Yes indeed the drama is getting very boring and long-winded mainly focusing on TH's crimes on a wild goose chase going round in circles to cause trouble to ex-husband's family. What is the title of "You are a Gift" means in this drama when the script concentrate so much on taking revenge and why is it taking so long to solve the murder mysteries and letting TH & SJ get away with damaging oher ppl lives. The story is supposed to be on HS going through all the bad times to get happiness in the end but is it happening? Expected to see more scenes on HS. Really can't stand SR giving HS such a hard time to accuse her for almost everything.

The title: "You are a Gift" represents the Love Story of Yun Ho and Hyun Soo. It was part of their wedding vows. The beautiful quote: "TO FIND SOMEONE THAT WILL LOVE YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE, IS THE BEST GIFT ONE CAN HAVE THROUGH OUT THEIR LIVES.  To the Groom and Bride: " DO YOU PROMISE TO BECOME THE BEST GIFT FOR EACH OTHER?" They both say "I promise" and then they exchange rings. The next time the Title is used is when YH gives HS a pair of shoes for their trip. She tells him that she didn't give him anything , and YH says; YOU ARE MY GIFT.  

6 hours ago, Mailelei said:

The title: "You are a Gift" represents the Love Story of Yun Ho and Hyun Soo. It was part of their wedding vows. The beautiful quote: "TO FIND SOMEONE THAT WILL LOVE YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE, IS THE BEST GIFT ONE CAN HAVE THROUGH OUT THEIR LIVES.  To the Groom and Bride: " DO YOU PROMISE TO BECOME THE BEST GIFT FOR EACH OTHER?" They both say "I promise" and then they exchange rings. The next time the Title is used is when YH gives HS a pair of shoes for their trip. She tells him that she didn't give him anything , and YH says; YOU ARE MY GIFT.  

From your interpretation of the title that it is part of YH-HS wedding vows, then I can foresee it is meant for both of them to be together in the end. HS will decide to go back to YH out of gratitude that he risked his life to catch the criminal who killed her father and his father. HS and her family will forgive YH for having to hide his identity in order to solve the murderer.  HS will explain to DJ to make him understand that YH is the father of her son, it will make their family complete by being together.  Poor DJ will feel rejected,  he has no choice but to give up and leave for America again - feel abit sad for him. This maybe another scenario based on the given title which is meant to honour YH's words YOU ARE MY GIFT.

3 hours ago, kimjung123 said:

From your interpretation of the title that it is part of YH-HS wedding vows, then I can foresee it is meant for both of them to be together in the end. HS will decide to go back to YH out of gratitude that he risked his life to catch the criminal who killed her father and his father. HS and her family will forgive YH for having to hide his identity in order to solve the murderer.  HS will explain to DJ to make him understand that YH is the father of her son, it will make their family complete by being together.  Poor DJ will feel rejected,  he has no choice but to give up and leave for America again - feel abit sad for him. This maybe another scenario based on the given title which is meant to honour YH's words YOU ARE MY GIFT.

This ending would be great!  This way the family stays together. I gave much thought to the interpretation of the title. I really like yours!  It makes sense that at the end HS does find happiness by having YH, Han Sol and herself, together as a complete family!

10 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

Personally the ones carrying the weight of this drama are the group of senior actors here.

Yes it doesn't make sense, this drama seems to focus on TH trying to bring everyone down - every episode has at least 50% of her appearance. Wrong title and it's so weird that it is taking more than 7 years to prove her crimes and every scene is a repetition.

7 hours ago, Mailelei said:

This ending would be great!  This way the family stays together. I gave much thought to the interpretation of the title. I really like yours!  It makes sense that at the end HS does find happiness by having YH, Han Sol and herself, together as a complete family!

But on the hand if it's true that YH has alzheimer then this scenario may change to the advantage of DJ because there is no cure for terminal disease, it develops slowly and worsen over several years to final stage. Not too sure he is really suffering this, so far has not seen him losing memory nor taking medicine. In fact, the drama shows him recovering from his past memory of the accident. Anyway, can recall one scene when HS caught YH red handed taking his medicine, she was worried and she did ask him but he refused to answer, just walk away. 

Hope the murder cases can be resolved soon and concentrate more episodes on the families of HS, YH & DJ and no more about revenge. Both SR and her crazy obssessed mother should just disappear - they are really a pain in the neck.

HS's aunt acting is more realistic than HS's mother which I feel is very unnatural.  

On 10/6/2016 at 3:24 PM, kimjung123 said:

But on the hand if it's true that YH has alzheimer then this scenario may change to the advantage of DJ because there is no cure for terminal disease, it develops slowly and worsen over several years to final stage. Not too sure he is really suffering this, so far has not seen him losing memory nor taking medicine. In fact, the drama shows him recovering from his past memory of the accident. Anyway, can recall one scene when HS caught YH red handed taking his medicine, she was worried and she did ask him but he refused to answer, just walk away. 

Hope the murder cases can be resolved soon and concentrate more episodes on the families of HS, YH & DJ and no more about revenge. Both SR and her crazy obssessed mother should just disappear - they are really a pain in the neck.

HS's aunt acting is more realistic than HS's mother which I feel is very unnatural.  

YH and SH were finally able to connect with Detective H to bring TH in for questioning since YH was able to find the original tape of TH letting go of KCY's hand. Of course TH comes with two lawyers saying that the tape was not sufficient evidence to charge her with murder. So Detective H plays the tape of SJ and Mr. Nam, where SJ's offering Mr. Nam money for the original tape and if he doesn't comply; SJ will have Mr. Nam's creditors go after him. So SJ's brought in for questioning as a testifier. We have to wait for the next episode for the outcome. 

Seems like the murder cases may not be solved all at once because if TH is arrested and her cases go to court, then YH probably has to testify and thus revealing his identity. With 40 more episodes to go, it may be too soon for this scenario! But we don't know what will happen next. We still have the on going saga of feud between Sera and HS, and the fight for the takeover of the TSK group.

On 10/5/2016 at 11:28 PM, Mailelei said:

@Mailelei  I had for got about that, I been to busy wondering how TH is going to get caught in her BS and and that oldest son of hers is going to give that company a bad rep and a big scandal.. I'm so happy to see the detective back so TH can start shaking in her boots, I just hope the crazy woman don't kill him but I put nothing past her

On 10/6/2016 at 5:50 PM, kimjung123 said:

Yes it doesn't make sense, this drama seems to focus on TH trying to bring everyone down - every episode has at least 50% of her appearance. Wrong title and it's so weird that it is taking more than 7 years to prove her crimes and every scene is a repetition.

@kimjung123  TH wants everybody life miserable because hers is miserable she always thought that by having kids that the chairman wouldn't remarry and she would always remain Mdm of TSK group before it's over she will be Mdm of cell block whatever and she will have to adjust her attitude real quick.. 

@Jackie1048  You are so right the veteran actors are carrying the weight of this drama if it was left up to the younger actors it would be just to bland and boring to watch..

3 hours ago, valsava said:

@Mailelei  I had for got about that, I been to busy wondering how TH is going to get caught in her BS and and that oldest son of hers is going to give that company a bad rep and a big scandal.. I'm so happy to see the detective back so TH can start shaking in her boots, I just hope the crazy woman don't kill him but I put nothing past her

@kimjung123  TH wants everybody life miserable because hers is miserable she always thought that by having kids that the chairman wouldn't remarry and she would always remain Mdm of TSK group before it's over she will be Mdm of cell block whatever and she will have to adjust her attitude real quick.. 

@Jackie1048  You are so right the veteran actors are carrying the weight of this drama if it was left up to the younger actors it would be just to bland and boring to watch..

Now that you mentioned it, yes, TH is very miserable. She sees her ex-husband  and two other children happy so  she wants to see them miserable like her. The only thing that matters to her is SJ and she will do everything in her power to make SJ Chairman of TSK. 

I also see her as a mother that pushes her two other children away even though she loves them. I see that emotion in her, that love that a mother has for her children but maybe because she had done so many evil deeds--- she doesn't want them close to her. She probably has gone too far with all her crimes and feels it's too late to change her ways so SJ as the head of TSK will give her power, and that's her goal now and it seems that nothing will stop her!

Regardless of how the story began (YH and HS), 7 years is a long time.  HS and DJ didn't cheat on YH.  They all thought YH is dead and they are moving on with their life and they should.

Everyone has their own interpretation and wish how the story should end.  For me, HS shouldn't leave DJ because YH is back.  I don't think YH will allow that happen.  Because YH is dying anyway with the incurable disease, Alzheimers. He won't remember even who he is anymore  in the end.  YH isn't selfish and my prediction for the story is he will not try to take HS and his son away from DJ.  I think in the end, DJ will find out YJ is really YH.  Also, DJ will find out YH's illness too.  Maybe, in the end, YH will ask DJ to take care of HS and his son.  YH and DJ aren't the best friends, but they genuinely have respect for each other.  YH knows DJ is a good person. 

As much as I dislike TH, I hate SJ more.  At least, TH' doesn't pretend like she is a good person.  Her attitude is 'Who am I?  I am TH!.."   But SJ, pretended like he is good son, good brother and best personal to lead the company.  He acts like his is untouchable, yet he is so scared. He would kneel down in front of anyone if that would help him escape from the bad deed he's done and immediately turns around and stabbed the person who just saved him without any remorse.   As is now, he hasn't done heavy criminal act that can put him in jail for life. What is has done so far is dishonorable and shameful. Maybe some jail time or heavy fine for some of his bad deed (against the law), but he has not yet killed anyone like his mom. In order for him to be in jail, something heavier crime has to be done.    I don't see him killing anyone (I don't think it's in him), but the greed will put him in jail for sure.  He maybe takes the money from the company illegally and that may put him in jail time. 

And what's with Kdrama's kid always refer himself to a third person? I noticed that in this drama when Hansol is talking about himself;  example:  he said "Hansol is a happy boy", rather than "I am a happy boy".  The same thing with other drama that I am watching too.  When a little kid refers himself as a third person, it's cute for a few times.  But, it's beginning to get annoyed.  I guess it's just my pet peeve.

Oh, please!  The writer has to come up with something to punish Sara. She can't just get away from what she has done.  So far, nothing to put her in jail, but she should be fired from the company. And the firm verbal slap from the chairman!  

This drama, at times,somewhat slow.  But, this drama's story unfolds much faster than some of other Kdrama that I am following.  It also has better and more interesting storylines.   

8 hours ago, eakeeper_stv said:

Regardless of how the story began (YH and HS), 7 years is a long time.  HS and DJ didn't cheat on YH.  They all thought YH is dead and they are moving on with their life and they should.

Everyone has their own interpretation and wish how the story should end.  For me, HS shouldn't leave DJ because YH is back.  I don't think YH will allow that happen.  Because YH is dying anyway with the incurable disease, Alzheimers. He won't remember even who he is anymore  in the end.  YH isn't selfish and my prediction for the story is he will not try to take HS and his son away from DJ.  I think in the end, DJ will find out YJ is really YH.  Also, DJ will find out YH's illness too.  Maybe, in the end, YH will ask DJ to take care of HS and his son.  YH and DJ aren't the best friends, but they genuinely have respect for each other.  YH knows DJ is a good person. 

As much as I dislike TH, I hate SJ more.  At least, TH' doesn't pretend like she is a good person.  Her attitude is 'Who am I?  I am TH!.."   But SJ, pretended like he is good son, good brother and best personal to lead the company.  He acts like his is untouchable, yet he is so scared. He would kneel down in front of anyone if that would help him escape from the bad deed he's done and immediately turns around and stabbed the person who just saved him without any remorse.   As is now, he hasn't done heavy criminal act that can put him in jail for life. What is has done so far is dishonorable and shameful. Maybe some jail time or heavy fine for some of his bad deed (against the law), but he has not yet killed anyone like his mom. In order for him to be in jail, something heavier crime has to be done.    I don't see him killing anyone (I don't think it's in him), but the greed will put him in jail for sure.  He maybe takes the money from the company illegally and that may put him in jail time. 

And what's with Kdrama's kid always refer himself to a third person? I noticed that in this drama when Hansol is talking about himself;  example:  he said "Hansol is a happy boy", rather than "I am a happy boy".  The same thing with other drama that I am watching too.  When a little kid refers himself as a third person, it's cute for a few times.  But, it's beginning to get annoyed.  I guess it's just my pet peeve.

Oh, please!  The writer has to come up with something to punish Sara. She can't just get away from what she has done.  So far, nothing to put her in jail, but she should be fired from the company. And the firm verbal slap from the chairman!  

This drama, at times,somewhat slow.  But, this drama's story unfolds much faster than some of other Kdrama that I am following.  It also has better and more interesting storylines.   

Absolutely go along with your analysis and hopes it will end this way cos right from the beginning it was predicted that HS will be a widow and will re-marry hence it won't make sense to divorce DJ and go back to YH - cannot transfer from one love to another love which has died years ago. HS several times has insisted that she will not return to YH even if he returns alive & of course past memories are still lingering but they have to move since she is happy & she also said she loves DJ. Breaking them apart will be misery to all, YH would not want this to happen to HS but he still can continue to visit HanSol and allow him to call him father.

By judging from the selection of the casts, most images show HS & DJ as leading roles whilst YH is placed behind the rest. Some even had HS, DJ, YA & SR as main casts in some Korean websites, moreover since YH (Shim)  debuted in 1999 he has not much acting roles - probably a dozen over 17 years. Anyway, this is how I generalise on the importance of each character on how it will end but I may be wrong in my judgement. BTW I find a close resemblance of YH with Joo Ji Hoon (Goong)

Archived