[Daily Drama 2016] You Are a Gift 당신은 선물 / Thank you for watching!

Guest ina111

Guest ina111

You Are a Gift

nuNYo8t.jpg

(image credit: SBS)

Title: You Are a Gift

Hangul: 당신은 선물

Chinese Title: 你是禮物

Director: Yoon Ryoo Hae (The Return of Hwang Geum Bok, Wonderful Mama)

Screenwriters: Lee Moon Hwi, Oh Bo Hyun (I Order You)

Genre: Melodrama, Romance

Episodes: 120

Broadcast network: SBS

Broadcast period: June 13, 2016 - (TBA)

Air time: Monday to Friday 19:20 KST

Official website

Synopsis

This drama is about a costume designer, Kong Hyun Soo (Heo Yi Jae) who will fight against trials and hardships in order to succeed and find her happiness.

Cast

Main Cast

Heo Yi Jae as Kong Hyun Soo
Cha Do Jin as Ma Do Jin
Choi Myung Gil as Eun Young Ae
Jin Ye Sol as Kang Se Ra
Kim Chung as Chun Tae Hwa
Song Jae Hee as Ma Sung Jin
Shim Ji Ho as Han Yoon Ho

People around Kong Hyun Soo

Sa Mi Ja as Choi Kang Ja (Hyun Soo’s grandmother)
Yoon Yoo Sun as Bok Soon Yi (Hyun Soo’s mother)
Im Ji Eun as Kong Eul Sook (Hyun Soo’s aunt)
Jo Yi Hyun as Kong Han Sol (Hyun Soo and Yoon Ho’s son)

People around Ma Do Jin

Im Chae Moo as Ma Dong Shik (Do Jin’s father)
Yoon Soo as Ma Yeo Jin (Do Jin’s younger sister)

People around Kang Se Ra

Bang Eun Hee as Yoo Mi Ran (Se Ra’s mother)
Lee Byung Joon as Kang Poong Ho (Se Ra’s father)

People around Han Yoon Ho

Ahn Nae Sang as Professor Han (Yoon Ho’s father)

Others

Na Ya as Song Hyo Rim
Kim Byung Se as Kim Chul Yong
Choi Dae Hoon as detective Hwang

(source: koreandrama.orgko.wikipedia.org)

Official Posters

full size images: poster 1, poster 2

BIv2BBG.jpg

fmdO2Oe.jpg

(image credit: SBS)

Teasers

(video credit: SBSNOW)

Please follow the posting guidelines.

SOOMPI CODE OF CONDUCT
FORUM RULES FOR K-DRAMAS & MOVIES SUBFORUMS

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.

02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.

03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.

04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 

05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ina111

There was a recent post on "Koala's Playground" about Heo Yi Jae's comeback following her retirement from acting after marriage. I was surprised to read that this will be her first drama in 8 years. I hope that it turns out to be a success! :) 

link:

K-actress Heo Yi Jae’s Drama Comeback Lined Up with SBS Weekender You are a Gift
Posted on May 10, 2016 by ockoala

ahsnh.jpg

Thank you so much for creating this new thread. I am so surprised to see Heo Yi Jae's come-back product. It has been that long, 8 years, yet I thought I never see her again after her marriage. I hope the reason behind her comeback does not relate to her family. And really look forward to her acting again. After Goong S, I did not follow her well and she did not have much time to polish her acting. The 8-year gap can be a huge challenge for her. And with daily drama, I have a really low expectation. They usually have a great starting point, then loosing its own story-line at the end. Let's see how this one turns out. 

Guest ina111

@cherylnguyen, thank you for visiting the thread! I am not familiar with any of HYJ's previous works, but I'm also looking forward to seeing her act. I hope that this drama will be a great new start for her professional life. 

The promotional press conference was held today, so there were lots of new photos of the cast floating around the internets, making me a happy camper. :lol:

The lead actors with the PD, Yoon Ryoo Hae

h9C4gnW.jpg

(image credit: Biz Enter)

Heo Yi Jae and Choi Myung Gil whose characters will be in a daughter-in-law and a mother-in-law relationship. ( Twice!?  ;) )

IJoRGlc.jpg

(image credit: OhmyStar* News)

More images under the spoiler

Spoiler

Heo Yi Jae with Shim Ji Ho and Cha Do Jin. The two men will play Heo Yi Jae's character's first husband and her new love interest, respectively.

TA12pIg.jpg

Jin Ye Sol and Song Jae Hee. I'm curious about the relationship between their characters. (I think they will both love other people, but marry each other for convenience.)

KXGIMU2.jpg

The drama's mothers and sons. (Where are all the fathers though? I didn't see any of the actors playing them at the press conference. :) )

A3AhroP.jpg

wdCn94A.jpg

I linked a couple of youtube videos of the press conference under the spoiler below, if anyone is interested. 

Spoiler

The first is a short video (the BG music is a bit loud), showing the lead actors - purely for visuals :)

The second is a long video that shows the actor interviews. I wish I understood Korean better. :( 

Guest ina111

I didn't find an official character relationship chart, so I made a basic one of my own. If anyone happens to come across the real deal, please share it here.

The characters descriptions on the official website reveal many more details (birth secret, extramarital affairs, various love lines), but I didn't want the chart to be too spoilerish or too complicated. Please let me know if you spot any errors so that I can correct them.

@Ldy Gmerm - happy to see you here! :)

Line colors: red = marriage,  blue = parent+child,  green=grandparent+grandchild

kaDJzvq.jpg

Guest ina111

Long preview (just under 7 minutes)

and a few of my own rambling thoughts.
From what I understand so far, it looks like the story will revolve around Hyun Soo and her mother-in-law who become widows at the same time, part ways, and then meet again when HS becomes close with the stepson from the mil's new marriage. The added complication is that the HS's presumed-to-be-dead husband will turn up alive. 

The preview feels a little over the top in places, but I'll hold my judgement until I watch some full episodes. What I really liked was how kind the mil was to HS even though HS is not from a well-off family. Unfortunately, it looks like that good relationship ends after their husbands' accident. I didn't understand why the mil blamed HS though. Did it have something to do with that fortune teller's prophecy? (Couldn't understand her words, maybe that it's HS destiny to become a young widow and marry twice?)

I don't know if I'm biased by the knowledge that it's the same PD as for "The Return of HGB", but the teasers gave me the same vibe as that drama. That PD seems to be fond of physical comedy and physical acting in general - chases, falls, scuffles, etc. I think that can be fun at times, but it can also get distracting and hard to watch. I couldn't find much info about the writers, it seems that they are new to daily drama, so I'm not sure what to expect on their end. The story seems to have the elements that are standard in daily dramas: mil-dil relationship/conflict, birth secret, infidelity, covered up crime(s), jilted second lead, and I won't be surprised if there is amnesia as well. (I'm thinking Hyun Soo's husband after that boating accident.) I guess we'll find out pretty soon. :) 

Guest ina111

I haven't had the chance to watch the episode yet. Hopefully the subs for this drama will be as fast as they were for the "Witch Castle."

Video clips from episode 1 (credit: DramaSBS channel on Youtube)

Spoiler

and the preview for episode 2

Thank you @ina111 for all the information. I love the map of relationship you made because it helps us following all complicated connections down the road later.  

I am watching the first episode as I am typing this post. The beginning is typical to most daily drama, something mysterious and not clearly explained which will connect to the later part of the story. Then, we see the past. I don't know how you feel, but I really dislike this pattern. Unfortunately, when we are watching daily drama, it will always start like that (which makes me laugh at the same time because I know what I will see next, before the scenes are even shown). I put the rest of my post in Spoiler tag since it relates to the first episode. 

Spoiler

Well, related to the opening scene, I do not see clearly who are the two men on that boat. Is Yoon Ho one of the two? Maybe that leads to the accident and assumed death of Yoon Ho. 

So the first encounter between Hyun Soo and Ma Do Jin related to some "money-related-problem"? I didn't catch the full dialogue. Then, we see Yoon Ho and Hyun Soo. He said that he will immigrate to the U.S. and proposed to Hyun Soo (and suggested her to go with him). But I suspect that Hyun Soo does not want to leave behind her grandmother, mother, and aunt. 

Kang Se Ra indeed is one spoiled chaebol daughter. But I can understand her one-sided love for Yoon Ho. Not sure if her one-sided love will have any connection to Yoon Ho's death later on. 

For Heo Yi Jae alone (because this is the main reason I follow this daily drama), seeing her on screen after many years recalls my memory about her in Goong S. I didn't follow her drama with Oh Ji Ho so I cannot comment anything on that one. But as time goes by, she does show a different side of acting. Since we are at the beginning of the drama, we see a younger version of Hyun Soo. Maybe this is easier for Heo Yi Jae to act based on experiences. But I am waiting for the change in her character later (after her husband's death). I nearly forgot how her voice sounds like :)) It proves that Heo Yi Jae's 8-year off-screen is no joke for me. One thing I like about her character is that Hyun Soo has a tomboy-ish outlook, but she has a complicated life which made her inner feelings are fragile? Not sure if this is the right word to use. 

Okay, now I can stop mumbling, and return to my real life ^^ I'll be back tomorrow for episode 2. 

Guest ina111

Yay! The English subs were pretty fast today.

@cherylnguyen I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the first episode. I'm not a big fan of that beginning either. I guess the mystery and suspense is meant to pull in viewers right from the start, but I'm not sure that it actually has that effect :)  

I think the two men on the boat were Yoon Ho and his father. The following might be a bit of a spoiler about the accident

Spoiler

After Yoon Ho and Hyun Soo get married and before they're supposed to emigrate to the States, they go on a trip with YH's parents. During the trip, YH and his father go fishing on a boat, and that's when the accident happens. I am hoping that Se Ra and the Ma family won't have any involvement in it.

I'm really curious why YH would be blaming herself for her husband's death. From the long preview it looks like the mother-in-law will also blame her. YH's life would be hard enough even without having to bear such a heavy burden of guilt. 

I'd love to see the official versions of these photos from Cha Do Jin's instagram.

@ina111  Thanks for starting the thread and just watch both episodes and enjoyed them so far..

I could tell one the Ma Jin kids is from the affair the mom had it seems like the second brother but I was thinking more onb the lines of the little sister.. 

Now if HS marries twice who will her childs father be is it the older Jin son or her current boyfriends son soon to be husband.. I'm really egar to find out why is it HS fault her husband and FIL died.. I had a feeling that one of them would return alive or maybe her dead father would but after seeing that long preview it would be her husband..

BTW your charcter chart is better then the official sites so I'll be tuned into this drama with you also glad it's being sub wish they will hurry and sub start again..

Guest ina111

Hi @valsava, I'm glad that you're watching this as well! 

You're right about the Ma kids. I think that they'll reveal that birth secret pretty early on in the show. (One of the teasers shows a DNA test result, so I'm guessing it will happen soon.)

HS's child's father will be the current boyfriend/soon-to-be husband. Based on the character ages in the character descriptions, we will probably have a 6 or 7 year time jump after the boat accident.

Video clips from episode 2 (credit: DramaSBS)

Spoiler

I couldn't find a video preview for episode 3. I don't know what's going on with these SBS evening dailies. The predecessor drama (Witch Castle) stopped publishing video previews very early on. I hope that this drama will not be the same. 

The written preview for episode 3 from SBS:
윤호는 강자에게 현수와의 결혼을 허락받으려 하지만 강자는 반대한다. 을숙은 강자가 결혼을 반대하는 이유에 대해 생각하다 현수가 어릴 때 들은 관상 얘기를 떠올린다. 한편, 영애와 미란은 동창 모임에서 오랜만에 만나게 되는데...

I didn't know how to translate the highlighted part. According to Naver dictionary, 관상 means physiognomy, and 관상을 보다 is to have one's fortune told[read] by a physiognomist. The verb 보다 is not used in the preview text, but I still translated 관상 as "fortune telling" instead of just physiognomy. I'm not sure if this is correct.

"Yoon Ho tries to get a consent from Kang Ja to marry Hyun Soo, but Kang Ja opposes. While Eul Sook is thinking about the reason for Kang Ja's opposition to the marriage, she recalls a fortune telling story(or conversation) she heard when Hyun Soo was a child. Meanwhile, Young Ae and Mi Ran meet again after a long while at an alumni gathering..."

1 hour ago, ina111 said:

I couldn't find a video preview for episode 3. I don't know what's going on with these SBS evening dailies. The predecessor drama (Witch Castle) stopped publishing video previews very early on. I hope that this drama will not be the same. 

I didn't know how to translate the highlighted part. According to Naver dictionary, 관상 means physiognomy, and 관상을 보다 is to have one's fortune told[read] by a physiognomist. The verb 보다 is not used in the preview text, but I still translated 관상 as "fortune telling" instead of just physiognomy. I'm not sure if this is correct.

@ina111  I think it's SBS and MBC stop hosting there previews on youtube something about them not renewing there contracts think this was last year or the year before..

I thought the fortune teller may have said something about HS living a widows life like her mjom and Halmoni.. Maybe she could be predicting something bad and not death..But I'm looking forwad to her husbands return I thought thed oldest Ma Jin boy had taken a liking to her from his reaction in the first episode..

I thought it was nice of Halmoni to keep her kmom around after the accident considering there culture they normally sends the DIL out of the home for her to start a new life even if she has some kind of mental issue but would keep they bloodline..

I'm also wondering at this point will it ever be found out that the chairman's wife is the cause of the dads death and mother mental issues..I could see the mother marrying her son to her to keep from being blackmailed any longer.. Also do the chairman die in this drama ?

Loved episode 3 mother found out the little liar is no different from her mom she realized she talk down to YH for no reasons but loved how her son took steps on getting her family approval first mom coming to see her son kneeling and getting water dashed on him at the right time because he hasn't got his parents consent to his marriage.. So I see her now apologizing to YH for believing the little liar, I just hope she tells YH about who told her all those bad things about her.. 

Now she's not so interested in HS anymore because of one of the Ma Jin boys and mom bragging before they even went on a dated because he sure told her dad he'll meet her but don't like her temper so now I see how things won't ever work out well for them and the second brother hooking up with her to secure him the next in line to the company position.. I sure as hell don't believe he's the chairman's son no DNA report has come out in this episode but I could see where things are headed so he will steal a million from the company to help cover his birth secret..

@ina111  You was right the fortuneteller said that YH will marry twice this is what aunt remembers..  

Guest ina111

@valsava I think that the motorcycle accident secret is bound to come out, probably at the worst possible time. :(
Why did Ma Do Jin's mother have to be the one behind the wheel? Why do the relationships between all these characters have to be so tangled. What's next? Young Ae will just happen to be that woman chairman Ma loved in his youth? :)

I think you're right, the oldest brother (Ma Do Jin is the middle child) will probably have to do something dirty to cover up his birth secret or to help his mother cover up her crime(s). At this point I feel kind of bad for him. I don't understand why he feels insecure about his position in the company. Finding out about his bio father will make that 100 times worse.

I think the preview issue is not specific to Youtube. I checked the drama page on the SBS website, Naver and Daum, and the ep. 3 video preview wasn't on any of them. I think they just decided not to release it.

Video clips from episode 3 (credit: DramaSBS)

Spoiler

the preview for episode 4:

Episode 4 written preview (source)
영애는 현수네 대문으로 들어서자마자 강자가 뿌린 물벼락을 맞는다. 윤호가 현수네 식구들 앞에서 무릎 꿇고 앉아있는 모습에 영애는 기절한다. 한편, 철용은 마회장을 직접 찾아가 투자금 명목으로 돈을 요구하는데...

my rough translation
As soon as Young Ae enters through the front gate of Hyun Soo's house, she gets doused with water thrown by Kang Ja. She faints upon seeing Yoon Ho kneeling in front of Hyun Soo's family. Meanwhile, Chul Yong personally calls on chairman Ma and asks for money under the pretext of an investment... 

@ina111, @valsava, @Ldy Gmerm

This wouldn't be a daily if there wasn't some kind of birth secret and someone died because of a family married into. This cliche has separation of the OTP written all over it. Then if the first husband (Yoon Hoo) shows back up there will be a child between him and Hyun Soo. Both women will marry into the same family making them in laws again. The gold digger mother and daughter pair will be the source of all the trouble and heartaches coming everyone's way. 

Sung Jin is the oldest child and probably not his father's bio child. He probably already knows he's not and it's why he's so insecure. His ambitions to be the successor of that company will have him doing all kinds of dirt.  If I'm reading the character description correctly he will end up married to the brat Se Ra. Of course her family will find out first the birth secret which would be the start of all kinds of dirty underhanded shenanigans. 

On 6/16/2016 at 8:48 AM, awsparkle said:

@ina111, @valsava, @Ldy Gmerm

This wouldn't be a daily if there wasn't some kind of birth secret and someone died because of a family married into. This cliche has separation of the OTP written all over it. Then if the first husband (Yoon Hoo) shows back up there will be a child between him and Hyun Soo. Both women will marry into the same family making them in laws again. The gold digger mother and daughter pair will be the source of all the trouble and heartaches coming everyone's way. 

Sung Jin is the oldest child and probably not his father's bio child. He probably already knows he's not and it's why he's so insecure. His ambitions to be the successor of that company will have him doing all kinds of dirt.  If I'm reading the character description correctly he will end up married to the brat Se Ra. Of course her family will find out first the birth secret which would be the start of all kinds of dirty underhanded shenanigans. 

Good to see you here @awsparkle You so spot on but I don't see the golddigging brat married into the family I think when it's getting ready to happen is when it's found out he's not the legal heir to it.. I see mom the iligitimite son and the ex-lover trying to kill off the chairman.. Maybe he do know the second son isn't his and hasn't said a thing about it..

Well we see how all the characters are coming into place.. I wonder if HS mom get's her senses back to protect her daughter..  

On 6/17/2016 at 4:51 PM, joyblack4 said:

I just picked interest in this drama hope it will turn out good kissing and romances also no dumb character. 

@joyblack4 No I don't see any romance or kissing involved in this drama it's all about HS hardships. I don't think her (HS) first husband will even return from the dead, Also looking at the chart it seems her son will carry her last name and his father name I assume his mom will not allow this but she will marry Ma Dojin when the MIL stops being mean to her and accepts her G/child and by the time that happens the first MIL will be married to the chairman but one thing for sure.. Sera family meddling will not land her with anyone.. For a few reason both Ex MIL and New MIL will have the gold digging mother and daughter pegged..

LMAO Love how Tae Hwa told Sera mother I heard your looking for the president a new wife.. How embarrassing..   

Archived