[Daily Drama 2016] Heaven's Promise/천상의 약속 KBS2 Mon-Fri 19:50 KST

debbiek153

6 hours ago, ggry said:

Incidentally, (Park) Yu Gyeong happens to be the 'pedicle' mentioned in the translation.

Looks like the Gorilla's successor may have found her nickname.

Condensed from the OED:

pedicle 1 n.
 a louse  (Compare Italian pedicello (a1449, now in sense pimple).

pedicle 2 n.
 A   stalk or similar narrow projection in an animal body or structure, esp. one to which some part is attached such as the eyestalk of a crustacean, a stalk by which a tumor is attached to the body, or a narrow strip of tissue attaching a graft to its original site in order to maintain a blood supply.

pedicle 3. n.
  A shackle for the feet, a fetter.

There's a bit of all three in her character. Clever of Mr Google to spot that.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about we all club together and buy Grandad a really strong heavy stick?  That's all that's missing actually, and it wouldn't be difficult to work into the plot since it matches his character so well. As for the slap count, well it's not very high at the moment, but there's plenty of time yet, especially since it's rising steadily and Lee Yu Ri is a notorious hefty smack deliverer. To compensate those of us who are only in it for the violence, we've had a fierce bite (though the wound healed with miraculous swiftness).

• Guest changed the title to [Current Daily Drama 2016] Heaven's Promise/천상의 약속 KBS2 Mon-Fri 19:50 KST
12 hours ago, baduy said:

How about we all club together and buy Grandad a really strong heavy stick?  That's all that's missing actually, and it wouldn't be difficult to work into the plot since it matches his character so well. As for the slap count, well it's not very high at the moment, but there's plenty of time yet, especially since it's rising steadily and Lee Yu Ri is a notorious hefty smack deliverer. To compensate those of us who are only in it for the violence, we've had a fierce bite (though the wound healed with miraculous swiftness).

There I was, waiting to see the walking stick reincarnated in the E006 preview but Grandpa looks to be in a worse state than in TOH.
He's actually wheelchair-bound, though still well able to launch a projectile at his daughter over his granddaughter dragging the
family name through the mud with the very public breakup of her marriage of only 6 months.

The slap count really isn't high, only 3 in succession within 1 scene, though they were pretty tight slaps.
There was a fair bit of pushing though, and of course, that big bite which finally brought on a different aspect of Jang Gyeong Wan.
Up till then, he's the nice, warm, kind and considerate guy. But he wimped back again once they reached the orphanage.
Still waiting to see a sign of that sharp look he spots in the poster, which isn't gelling with what we've seen so far.
Maybe after another 15 years living with the wife, some of his better qualities get eroded away and replaced with nastier ones.

Park Yu Gyeong is somewhere in between the Gorilla and Yu Seon Gyeong of TOH.
Not as much as a caricature as the Gorilla and very much sharper.
Though she comes across as hysterical as compared to Yu Seon Gyeong, she's not exactly out of control.
That scene in E004 where she stormed her husband's office, she was smart enough to ease off on him
when he looked like he wasn't emotionally prepared to pack the kid off to the orphanage just yet.
Obviously, it helped that it he didn't know a fig about the kid being his child.
She was running circles round the slow-witted man with all those perfectly valid reasons she was giving him.

It's interesting how, even though they loathe each other, Yu Gyeong is very much a chip off the old block.
I wonder what happened to her mom. Dead or divorced? If we go by TOH, she would be dead, but when?
Chairman Park probably neglected the daughter. And we found out in last night's ep that he was
fooling around before uncharacteristically finally settling down with the stepmother.
Her family backstory should contain some clues as to why she went to such extremes as a baby scam to entrap JGW.
Whatever she sees in him and/or in his relationship with his first love, she must want it pretty desperately.
One thing's clear though, JGW is everything that his father-in-law isn't.
Looks like the tough as nails, selfish and callous PYG might be craving warmth, love, care and affection. 
Well, she was on the receiving end in E001 of all that when she came home all drenched and he personally tended to her.
Some other husband might have just chucked the towel at her to dry herself off with.
Unfortunately, none of JGW's better qualities have rubbed off on her.

@baduy   @ggry   Thank you

I just finished reading the comments. Thank goodness there are only you two in this thread for the moment but still it turned out to be a very arduous process for me to read those comments.  hehe  Nonetheless  I feel very appreciative about many points(!!) laid out in the comments.  So in the next week, we will see things that happened 5 years ago and then the present day is going to start a week after.  Normally I skip the beginning part before the grown up period but I’m glad I happened to watch it.  I loved the last scene about the yellow umbrella before time jumped and the cast changed.

0qKozsO.jpg

23 hours ago, booha said:

@baduy   @ggry   Thank you

I just finished reading the comments. Thank goodness there are only you two in this thread for the moment but still it turned out to be a very arduous process for me to read those comments.  hehe  Nonetheless  I feel very appreciative about many points(!!) laid out in the comments.  So in the next week, we will see things that happened 5 years ago and then the present day is going to start a week after.  Normally I skip the beginning part before the grown up period but I’m glad I happened to watch it.  I loved the last scene about the yellow umbrella before time jumped and the cast changed.

@booha

I have to confess that I think of that umbrella as 'The Yellow Brolly of Death' 'The Yellow Brolly of Misfortunate' should be more apt. :P
Look what happened to the adult owner of it.
And the other junior owner is not going to come to a good end either in adulthood.

The timeframes in this drama are --

E001 - E005 = 1997

From E006 till E0?? = 15 years later =  2012

Final time jump from 2012 = 4 years later = 2016

I've come to the conclusion that the text preview writer's internal clock is running slow. We should maybe include a replacement battery in with that walking stick. Yet again a big chunk of the "preview" is stuff we've already seen.

Na Yeon, accepting Mal Suk, the first person to reach out a kindly hand to her in the orphanage, as her stepmother, takes Tae Jun under her wing, and they become a lovey-dovey couple.

Tae Jun reveals to Na Yeon that he's just about to start working at the Baek Do organisation and asks her to marry him.

The scene in ep 5 where Na Yeon has been instructed to take two mugs of cocoa and a plate of cookies (home-made ones: 집에서 직접 구은 거) to sustain the mathematical toilers set me thinking about the way that not all translation problems result from cultural differences.

cocoa.png

When Na Yeon comes into the room, she hesitates at the sight of her Silent Cyclist admirer sitting side by side with Miss Grumpy. But Se Jin then spots her and says haughtily 왔으면 인기척 좀 해. 놔 두고 가. The last bit is no problem: it means "Put those down then go away." But the first part contains a verb, 인기척하다, for which I know no straightforward equivalent in English, even though -- and this is my main point -- there's absolutely nothing culture-specific about what the verb refers to.

I suspect it's fairly universal across cultures that it's bad manners not to make your presence known if you find yourself in a situation where you're accidentally able to overhear what other people are saying who don't know you're there. You're expected to cough, or clear your throat or tread deliberately noisily to alert them. But despite the fact that that holds good in English-speaking cultures just as much as in Korea, only Korean has a single word for what in English we need to render as "give a signal of your presence to people who are unaware of it".

인기척 is a hybrid compound. The first part is the familiar Sino-Korean 인 = 人 , human being. The second is the native Korean 기척 , meaning a "sign".  Not in the sense of something stuck on a wall like the one on the mansion garage door saying "No Parking" which at the start of the episode prompts Hwi Kyeong to pretend to think that Na Yeon is staring at his motorbike with a view to reporting him for a parking violation -- that sort of sign is a 표시. No: a 기척 is a sign in the sense of an indication, often by some sort of sound, that something or someone is in the vicinity: it's used, for instance, when hunters talk about detecting "signs" of an animal they're tracking. So an 인기척 is such a sign that reveals that another human being is nearby.

But how to get that into an acceptable sub? I would go for "Don't creep up on people like that."  But that's the sort of translation that, a few years back now, had people on Viki deleting my lines and complaining that I obviously didn't understand Korean and so shouldn't be allowed to sub. (One even remonstrated with me for "using English words that don't exist"). Thus speaks the Wisdom of Crowds.

@ggry

Okay I feel a bit confused about Lee Na Yeon and Baek Do Hui.  Yes At first, after reading about LNY here, I thought LNY would die  but as I was interested about LNY’s adopted family, I checked into the Daum’s site for HP’s character description  which seemed like saying it wasn’t  LNY who died but her twin sister BDH.  Something like LNY is going to take over the identity of BDH to protect her daughter.  I also found an article in which PD gave a similar description about the LNY character.  Still it isn’t very clear to me and possibly I misread but I feel it’s more logical if BDH dies.   From the character description in asainwiki, BDH works as a reporter at a weekly magazine.  I have a feeling that it’s the same magazine which LNY’s adopted sister, 이은봉 Lee Eun Bong works.  It may be that’s how these twin sisters learn about each other.  In the EP1, BDH’s adopted mom saw LNY and her mom, and afterward she ran away with her daughter.  So while LNY was in the bathroom, one of BDH’s friends mistook her as BDH.  As LNY mentioned that incident to her mom, her mom took off immediately to the restaurant.  I suspect BDH’s adopted mom took away  or stole BDH.   Another interesting thing is about the character, Park Hwi Gyeong. According the character description, he makes a partnership with LNY in order to save his father’s company and knowingly he marries LNY to help her out.  I think it’s happened after LNY takes over the identity of  BDH (possibly PHG knows it)   Otherwise it’s hard for me to believe that Park Yu Gyeong lets PHG marry LNY??  

http://article.topstarnews.net/detail.php?number=176374

(a part about PD gave a talk about HP during HP PC)

"HP is the story of revenge taken by  a woman who meets again the daughter of an enemy who stole her father and left her dying mother on the scene, and she loses her husband to her and loses her child."

“‘천상의 약속’은 한 여인이 자신의 아버지를 빼앗고 자신의 어머니를 죽음의 현장에서 방치하게 한 원수의 딸을 다시 만나게 되고, 또 다시 자신의 남편을 빼앗기고 자신의 아이까지 잃어버린 여성이 복수에 나서는 이야기다”

http://movie.daum.net/tv/detail/castcrew.do?tvProgramId=75396

(Yang Mal Suk )   Early 50/ Na Yeon’s adopted mom, who is a typical ajumma, generous, easily tearful and heartwarming.   She has a strong survival personality and is skillful. She runs a side dish shop.  After her husband died suddenly, she searched for orphaned Na Yeon and took her into the family. Fortunately Na Yeon  is bright and  good natured so she accepts her adopted mom like a real mom.

(Lee Eun Bong ) The oldest daughter of Mal Suk. Na Yeon’s unni / Femme Fatale,  women’s magazine news reporter. She is a queen of a straight shooter. She despises a woman who pretends to be innocent/coy.  She doesn’t fix herself and is easygoing and hard working. 

1 hour ago, booha said:

@ggry

Okay I feel a bit confused about Lee Na Yeon and Baek Do Hui.  Yes At first, after reading about LNY here, I thought LNY would die  but as I was interested about LNY’s adopted family, I checked into the Daum’s site for HP’s character description  which seemed like saying it wasn’t  LNY who died but her twin sister BDH.  Something like LNY is going to take over the identity of BDH to protect her daughter.  I also found an article in which PD gave a similar description about the LNY character.  Still it isn’t very clear to me and possibly I misread but I feel it’s more logical if BDH dies.   From the character description in asainwiki, BDH works as a reporter at a weekly magazine.  I have a feeling that it’s the same magazine which LNY’s adopted sister, 이은봉 Lee Eun Bong works.  It may be that’s how these twin sisters learn about each other.  In the EP1, BDH’s adopted mom saw LNY and her mom, and afterward she ran away with her daughter.  So while LNY was in the bathroom, one of BDH’s friends mistook her as BDH.  As LNY mentioned that incident to her mom, her mom took off immediately to the restaurant.  I suspect BDH’s adopted mom took away  or stole BDH.   Another interesting thing is about the character, Park Hwi Gyeong. According the character description, he makes a partnership with LNY in order to save his father’s company and knowingly he marries LNY to help her out.  I think it’s happened after LNY takes over the identity of  BDH (possibly PHG knows it)   Otherwise it’s hard for me to believe that Park Yu Gyeong lets PHG marry LNY??  

http://article.topstarnews.net/detail.php?number=176374

(a part about PD gave a talk about HP during HP PC)

"HP is the story of revenge taken by  a woman who meets again the daughter of an enemy who stole her father and left her dying mother on the scene, and she loses her husband to her and loses her child."

“‘천상의 약속’은 한 여인이 자신의 아버지를 빼앗고 자신의 어머니를 죽음의 현장에서 방치하게 한 원수의 딸을 다시 만나게 되고, 또 다시 자신의 남편을 빼앗기고 자신의 아이까지 잃어버린 여성이 복수에 나서는 이야기다”

http://movie.daum.net/tv/detail/castcrew.do?tvProgramId=75396

(Yang Mal Suk )   Early 50/ Na Yeon’s adopted mom, who is a typical ajumma, generous, easily tearful and heartwarming.   She has a strong survival personality and is skillful. She runs a side dish shop.  After her husband died suddenly, she searched for orphaned Na Yeon and took her into the family. Fortunately Na Yeon  is bright and  good natured so she accepts her adopted mom like a real mom.

(Lee Eun Bong ) The oldest daughter of Mal Suk. Na Yeon’s unni / Femme Fatale,  women’s magazine news reporter. She is a queen of a straight shooter. She despises a woman who pretends to be innocent/coy.  She doesn’t fix herself and is easygoing and hard working. 

@booha

It's entirely possible that LNY takes over her twin's identity as it does make more sense.

I was going by some very early article on the drama so there might have been a misinterpretation.
I haven't had time to really read the other long articles since. Looks like I'll have to find time to read them.
Anyway, in that case it would make BDH the older twin whose identity LNY assumes.

As for how BDH ended up with her adoptive parents, there's no mention at all, or at least I haven't seen any.
LYA could have given her up as she might not be able to provide for 2 kids at the same time as a single parent.
Running back to TGIF's could be that she wanted to have a look at that daughter she hasn't seen all this time.
It might not necessarily be the case that BDH's mom took her away by some illegal means.

As for Lee Eun Bong and BDH working at the same magazine.
They can't possibly be colleagues right from the start as LEB would have mentioned it to her family.
Either she joins that magazine or BDH joins it later, or here's a 3rd possibility,
maybe they crossed paths via LEB's bf, the photojournalist, Lee Jung Dae.
A 4th possibility would be they meet as professional colleagues within the same industry rather than having the same work place.

As for whether PYG knows or not, it probably doesn't make much of a difference as her father was pushing for the son's marriage.
I doubt that she would have any say in it. So far, she hasn't been successful at really killing off anyone directly. :lol:

Anyway, it'll be interesting how the revenge story goes as the PD did stress that the story is ultimately about forgiveness.

@ggry

At this point how BDH came to her adopted family shouldn’t matter much. Eventually it will be revealed.  However you mentioned about ‘forgiveness’ which made me think about the drama title, Heavens-Promise.  I feel somehow it makes sense ‘forgiveness’ should be followed by Heavens-Promise.  But hopefully it doesn’t mean HP has to skip many scenes of slapping/pulling one’s hair …   Btw I know you have a busy schedule.  Yet you still contributed a lot of helpful (&very amusing) information which I’m still reading.  :P

2016 is the year of (fire) monkey.  

Sydney Morning Herald (It has a cute video clip but don't click on play. It will play by itself and has a stop button):

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/year-of-the-monkey-chinese-new-year-dos-and-donts-20160202-gmjkqb.html

Sun Star: Year of the red fire monkey

KQNUEaB.jpg?1

3bynvl5.jpg?1

ca2vfpb.jpg?1

cr to DC

1 hour ago, booha said:

@ggry

At this point how BDH came to her adopted family shouldn’t matter much. Eventually it will be revealed.  However you mentioned about ‘forgiveness’ which made me think about the drama title, Heavens-Promise.  I feel somehow it makes sense ‘forgiveness’ should be followed by Heavens-Promise.  But hopefully it doesn’t mean HP has to skip many scenes of slapping/pulling one’s hair …   Btw I know you have a busy schedule.  Yet you still contributed a lot of helpful (&very amusing) information which I’m still reading.  :P

2016 is the year of (fire) monkey.  

Sydney Morning Herald (It has a cute video clip but don't click on play. It will play by itself and has a stop button):

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/year-of-the-monkey-chinese-new-year-dos-and-donts-20160202-gmjkqb.html

Sun Star: Year of the red fire monkey

[... had to delete off the cute monkey images as we're not allowed to quote pictures... sigh...]

cr to DC

@booha

Don't worry, with at least 95 eps to go, there's plenty of time for acts of violence in this drama --

(1) PYG trampling on Candy Na Yeon and slapping her.
(2) JSJ also stomping on NY and slapping her.
(3) NY slapping JSJ back.
(4) Chairman Park throwing stuff at daughter YG and probably granddaughter SJ, and maybe even son-in-law GW.
(5) All round shoving amongst various characters.

Errata

Having checked the later articles on HP, a correction is due.
As penance for gross misinterpretation, I shall rewatch E001 - E005 another 5 times.

Baek Do Hui is the older twin and Lee Na Yeon the younger one.
It's Baek Do Hui who will die, thereby providing Lee Na Yeon with an avenue
through which to exact revenge on Park Yu Gyeong and Jang Se Jin
as the loss of her little daughter (with Kang Tae Jun) proved to be the last straw.

Here's the updated the relationship chart (the one in the original post has also been updated with this one).

3sFgDWH.jpg

Confirmed Timeframes for HP (out of the mouth of the PD himself)

E001 - E005 = 1997 [NB: There's a time jump of 15 years in the last few minutes of E005.]

E006 - E010 = 15 years later = 2012

From E011 onwards 2016+

13 hours ago, baduy said:

[...]

cocoa.png

[...]

And we get further indication of Park Yu Gyeong's taste for European brands.

The red and blue mugs ain't some run of the mill stuff but Le Creuset ones,
though as far as I know, the rather expensively priced stoneware are actually Made in China.
Sacré bleu, surely the ones in this scene aren't knock-offs?

At least her BMW 5 Series can't possibly be a 'China rip-off'.
That particular model which she nearly used as a battering ram happened to be very good,
which can't exactly be said for the latest model, which would be the current model for our resident ajumma villainess  
for the 2012 and 2016 scenes should the production company be in the mood to break the bank.
It's probably cheaper to let her have a car from Hyundai's luxury Genesis line.
I'll be happy to see the last of her husband and father's rickety limos from this week on.

47 minutes ago, Kkul23 said:
  Hide contents

I'm curious how do you guys watch without subs? I want to watch but it's really frustrating when I can't really understand most of what they say. 

Most of the currently active posters in this thread understand Korean. We're trying to make it possible for people who don't to follow what's happening by bringing out stuff that either isn't obvious from the visuals or -- worse still -- where the visuals alone would be seriously misleading. I'm thinking there, for example, about the double lie concerning Na Yeon's parentage that Yun Ae told Gyeong Wan, with all its ongoing repercussions.

My own recaps were deliberately pretty full at the start (though also deliberately impressionistic, that is I try to recap only things that a viewer would get from the episode as it aired, without filling in info from other sources or venturing theories about what may be to come: the aim being to give viewers with no Korean the impression of what is actually coming across from moment to moment, sometimes including things where it turns out later that the the writer was being deliberately misleading.)

Often you also get people in these threads who read Mandarin and can get the c-subbed versions that ofen appear within hours of the airing -- though maybe not for this drama, since KBSWorld is producing its own C-subs, although with a two week deliberate delay. Of course, in a just a week from now, KBSW will start uploading the e- and c-subbed episodes to their YT channel, but they will be, and stay, two weeks behind the Korean airings as a matter of policy. But beware the idiots who post unsubbed raws on YT but tag them as e-subbed when they aren't. They're just trying to up their click count.  Also, KBSW sometimes fails to update its channel  playlist on YT in a timely way, so that episodes they've actually  uploaded don't appear till days later in their official channel list and you have to search for them by full title and episode number.  I would also add  that the standard of viewer remarks (they seldom deserve to be called "discussions") on the KBSW YT channel is often pretty low and crass misunderstandings and random snap judgements tend to predominate. Maybe partly because people with no Korean are too busy reading the subs to watch the actors' body language closely enough or attend to their tone of voice. Some of the most insightful veteran posters on soompi have limited or no Korean, but thanks to  long experience and a feel for the many non-verbal  "languages" good dramas employ, they notice things from the raws alone that people with the benefit of subs don't  grasp so clearly.

I expect there may also be some bloggers recapping this show before long, but very often such bloggers are actually  working from c-subs, and there are certain traps there, especially if the plot gets complicated. Though the gist comes across, various hints and subtleties tend to go missing  in the transition from Chinese back to English (even ones that were correctly conveyed from Korean to Chinese).

I will try this drama, the characters in this drama look fine, hope this writer deliver a change of copy right in the usual Korea format  same synopsis.daily dramas suppose to deliver romance, brilliant character of sense, not dumb acting, in fact the few koreans i have seen,they don't  seen to be as righteous as   korean writers portray them in their dramas that leave me with a sour taste in my mouth .

Archived