[Daily Drama 2016] Heaven's Promise/천상의 약속 KBS2 Mon-Fri 19:50 KST

debbiek153

Guest my2centsworth
6 hours ago, ObsessiveCompulsive said:

@baduy Always enjoy your observations. I agree with the you and also think TJ made his final choice due to SJ possibly losing the baby. I think it's also important to point out that maybe TJ feels NY is stronger then SJ and would possibly handle the break up better. In a way its like how they say "men need to be needed" and SJ's need of TJ is what attracts him, she acts like his her entire life and can't live without him, whereas NY is the opposite. 

@jongski I too at first thought that he was maybe trying to go deep undercover to destroy the BD family knowing how much NY hated them. But, that quickly went out the window when I found out SJ was pregnant and seeing him agonizing on what to do in episode 15 further proves he had no intention of that. What TJ did unforgivable, by the time NY embarks on her revenge she will be completely through with him. I think NY will marry HK for revenge but just like how he was the first person to be nice to her after her mothers death, she will grow to love him more then she ever did TJ. And, I hope if there is a happy ending is that HK and NY live happily ever after.

I think even if DH is the one pretending to be NY, TJ will always think its her and will be very effected by it. But, this is the main reasons why I think DH will die and the twin to live will be NY. Because, since NY is the one who knows the most about TJ and SJ's family she would be the only one exact revenge, she's also the one that knows YK had something to do with her mothers wedding. 

I think the twin to live will be Na Yeon. 

Which twin do you guys think will die???

It's almost a given fact that TJ will marry SJ and the possibility of DH aka NY being with HK seems a sure thing too. The four will be related by marriage and and there will be times they will meet and with DH really being YK, will have to eat away at TJ since every time he looks at her he will think of NY. This part alone makes this a good drama. Can't wait to see how the two of them handle when they ( TJ and DH aka NY ) meet.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ObsessiveCompulsive said:

I think even if DH is the one pretending to be NY, TJ will always think its her and will be very effected by it. But, this is the main reasons why I think DH will die and the twin to live will be NY. Because, since NY is the one who knows the most about TJ and SJ's family she would be the only one exact revenge, she's also the one that knows YK had something to do with her mothers wedding. 

I think the twin to live will be Na Yeon. 

Which twin do you guys think will die???

based on the trailer LYR did mentioned " i promise to make you happy no matter what".. this refer to who? DH or NY

18 hours ago, baduy said:

BUT I'm still now left wondering what on earth she had in mind when she said 네가 정리 안 하면 내가 정리해  

It surely can't mean "I'll go ahead and tell Na Yeon" because that would entail her delivering the "death blow" she's desperately trying to ward off before Tae Jun has even had chance to do the right thing. But if intervening with Se Bin isn't what she has in mind, then what is?

[...]

I can see me deciding to put this drama aside and selectively marathon it later (because I'm sure the good bits will indeed be good) if the writer doesn't put a sock, smelly or not, in this silliness.

One further point. What was the writer up to with the framing of Hwi Gyeong's "catch the wife in flagrante" scene? We see him first in his room, turning up the photo, which we assume is one from which he has  torn off his ex-wife. (I pass over for the moment that his is the first appearance of the Eiffel Tower on the set, but I expect I will come back to that particular obsession of mine sooner or later] The he flashes back to the disillusioning incident. THEN HE WAKES UP IN BED.  So, was the finding the torn photo bit also part of the dream? But if so, why??

It's far likelier that EB is threatening to 'sort things out' for TJ should he fail to do so to her satisfaction.
Since the lines leading up to this involved breaking off with SJ, it's entirely possible for EB to look up SJ
and impress on her the huge scandal that the paparazzi will surely get a sniff on soon enough,
that will envelope the Park family and Baekdo Group should word get out that she's wrecking someone's family.

I can't see how I'm going to survive being forced to sit through the buffoons' scenes on live stream for another 85 more eps,
not when there's also the old tart in tin foil's scenes to get through as well... It does help having the FF button when watching the raw.

As for Hwi Gyeong's scene, finding the torn photo bit should be what triggered the dream
where parts of his past memories made their way into it. So the flashback is effectively part of his dream.
At least that's how I see it.

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 10:03 PM, baduy said:

Whoever messed up the translation of that earliest synopsis sure has a lot to answer for...

[...]

And since Koreans have such a firm belief in the relationship between "blood" and character, especially moral character, and on the whole incline, partly thanks to Buddhist influence, to the belief that no-one is intrinsically evil, the way the two women have turned out so differently must be down to some decisively different life-experiences. Sounds like a juicy bit of backstory is going to be offered to account for that truly startling difference between the way they've turned out.

I would say that those of us here who understand Korean have already done enough to clear up the mess HERE on this thread.
The onus is on those who choose to be active here to go through the thread and read that info.
Not only did I put an edit in my earlier posts with the correct info and in blue to boot, there was also an Errata post.
In your case, you've already mentioned the correct version in your post right after booha brought up the press con article.
Or maybe we should have just kept it short in 1 single sentence as in who dies, in bright red and size 72 font?

Other than the Buddhist influence, how extensive is the Sino/Confucian influence outside of the yangban class?
It's written in the 삼자경《三字經》that the older, more erudite members of Korean society would have studied as children that  --

人之初,性本善。性相近,習相遠。

사람이 태어난 처음에는
성품은 본래 착했다
착한 성품은 서로 근접하나
습관은 서로 차이가 멀다

Loosely translated into English --

Men at birth, are by nature, good.
Their natures are similar, but their habits make them differ from each other.

I followed the video clip from @Misstwilightfan1416  all the way back to the KBS sit --- Hoping to find out something, anything!

Well, I don't speak or read Korean --- so that was a handicap, of course.  But I have my own "Mr. Google" who translates quickly, fluidly, but by no means fluently or accurately!  I never let that stop my search. Just slows it down a bit. 

So what did I learn?  Let me do a list for you.  Love lists --- Easier than composing paragraphs. 

1)   Episode 16 -Mon. (2/22/2016) --- "Now, I am not your man!"..... Taken from under the video clip.  Anyone surprised?

2)   Park Hwi  Kyung 's  set-up "Match", the woman Father insists on meeting?    Baek Do Hee --- Surprised?

3)  List of Baek Do Hee's accomplishments/skills:.......piano, singing,  horseback riding, golf, fluent in English & Japanese. 

( Well, Na-yeon was good at piano when she was 12 years old --- should count for something, right?)

4)   "A heavenly promise" is listed under the video clip Preview of Monday's Episode 16.  Dare I make a guess?   NOT GOOD!

5)   My Mr. Google refused to reveal anything else (that made any kind of sense!)   But I assumed , on my own, that Na-yeon will also have to do a quick cram session to pass as a woman graduated from an elite university (Korea? or USA?).  

6)   Extra pieces of info. --- bloods will be spilled, accidentally, looked like "a man" will regret  the blood spillage --- Just random words seen on the site & things picked up in the character descriptions.

RANDOM COMMENT: --- Did Na-yeon & Tae-joon ever communicate with each other during those 5 years?  Has anything been said in the episodes to say they did or did not?  I understand that TJ's Mother passed some messages (poorly & on purpose) , but that was it?  for 5 years?   (In the Press Conference, actress LYR said she looked often to the Director for guidance in how to  portray the adult Na-yeon.  This accounts for the radical personality change we saw --- from a gutsy, fearless, out-spoken girl to the oblivious, self-sacrificing "door-mat" woman she had become!   And could be one big reason Tae-joon lost interest in her.  The "reckless" Se-jin" was more attractive , he said!

3 AM --- I ramble on when it gets this late  at night.  I think I'm here alone!  

Na-yeon is the twin I know will survive.   And I think, as others have said, Do Hee will probably seek her out --- looking for more "dirt" for her ongoing top news story!  Not sure how it goes after that first meeting!  

Good Night, All!

EDIT: ---  @ggry ---That is exactly what I did, too ---So glad it is early on and I only had to read total of 17 pages.    But they were "stained" with the misinformation as well, while posts talked about things read in variety of places..  Everything became clear when I came closer to the most recent pages   (pp.16 to 19)--- I really think it would be more clear if a person picked up a few pages back from RIGHT HERE.    Maybe start at Page 14 or 15?  Do you think a "note" on P 1 or 2 would help?  Or could a "Clarification Memo" be posted there?   @debbiek153 Do you think it might help? The clearly written summary on page 1 even states that Na-yeon is the twin who will die --- starting much confusion!   Is it possible to correct that Summary?

7 hours ago, mdj101 said:

"A heavenly promise" is listed under the video clip Preview of Monday's Episode 16.  Dare I make a guess?   NOT GOOD!

I wouldn't worry too much about that particular item if I were you. It's just the title of the show...

I'm sure we're going to get several cliffhangers where things happen like ... In a posh restaurant, Na Yeon-as-Do Hui is approached by a woman who greets her ex dorm-mate and wants to reminisce about the state of the grass in Harvard Yard,,,  (No not THAT sort of grass, but a problem for Na Yeon all the same.)  At a business reception a Japanese representative wanting to discuss a complex matter with an American participant  expects her to be able to interpret for him  ...  As for golf and horse-riding, they should be OK if Hwi Gyeong gives her suitable undercover tuition, since accomplishment in both activities has a very strong component of innate ability.  And yes, when someone thinks they can unmask her by asking her to play the last scene of Tristan und  Isolde from a full orchestral score at sight while singing the vocal lines, everyone will be wowed by her keyboard technique and score-reading skills and regard the fact that what she's actually singing is the Three Bears song in very flat tones as an understandable minor shortcoming given the overall achievement.  As I've already mentioned, she'll at least be able to pull off the required demonstration that any Kdrama woman with a college degree is by definition a lousy cook (so lousy that she doesn't even know it's a good idea to taste her dishes before serving them up) because anyone can pretend not to be able to cook without much tuition being needed.

For samples of such embarrassing encounters and the way the writers wriggle surviving twin avenger characters out of them, see several incidents in Resurrection and Queen of Ambition...  In fact this drama is drawing on QA plot motifs especially pretty heavily, including the doomed (Sae) Byeol. They might even lift a motif from Mawang and endow Do Hui with a blind friend whose sensitivity to voice differences allows her to detect that Na Yeon is an impostor, but after a suitable weekend of suspense between episodes, realizes that Na Yeon is among other things avenging Do Hui and so decides to play along.  The glasses, in another possible borrowing from QA,  may cause problems too, if one twin had severe myopia as a result of all that close reading while the surviving one has unaided 20/20 vision thanks to never having done much with her eyes so far except gaze on the world with radiant innocence,

As for the apparent total lack of communication between Korea and Miguk during the crucial 5 years, which seems to extend to everybody in the drama, not just our separated sweethearts, I think I read in Wikipedia somewhere that in those particular years El Niño led to severe disruption in the crucial smoke signal link connecting mainland Miguk and Hawaii via a series of anchored relay platforms across the Pacific.

Guest my2centsworth

I need help. Reading some comments, some of you know what going on up esp 15. I only can find esps with english subbing up to esp 9. So I am lost !  Is there a site that has all the esps shown already up to esp 15 with subs?

25 minutes ago, my2centsworth said:

Is there a site that has all the esps shown already up to esp 15 with subs?

E-subs no.  There are c-subs up-to-date and esubs up to 10 on www.ondemandkorea.com, but the e-subs look to be translated from their c-subs (presumably the 1 week delay on the esubs is part of their license agreement with KBS) and that's given rise to various inaccuracies, whereas the 8-episode delayed e and c subs on the KBSW YT channel seem to be much better. (Admittedly, I can't judge the quality of the c-subs myself, since my ability to understand Mandarin is miniscule, but I've sampled the e-subs in various tricky parts and the KBSW ones win every time and don't have the things I can detect as Chinese-isms.  BTW, the video quality on the KBS channel, provided you click the little cogwheel and select the "HD" version, is much better than the transcoded rips on either ondemandkorea, or the various thieving sites.

Also I just took a look on subscene,com  and as far as I can tell the only subs they're ripping are the somewhat inferior ones from ondemandkorea.com, though I suppose that's not really a problem, since you're allowed to view the KBSW subbed streams from anywhere in the world except from Korea itself and, bizarrely, Japan.

But this is another matter where its not necessary to go very far  back in this thread to get the info.

Guest my2centsworth
35 minutes ago, baduy said:

E-subs no.  There are c-subs up-to-date and esubs up to 10 on www.ondemandkorea.com, but the e-subs look to be translated from their c-subs (presumably the 1 week delay on the esubs is part of their license agreement with KBS) and that's given rise to various inaccuracies, whereas the 8-episode delayed e and c subs on the KBSW YT channel seem to be much better. (Admittedly, I can't judge the quality of the c-subs myself, since my ability to understand Mandarin is miniscule, but I've sampled the e-subs in various tricky parts and the KBSW ones win every time and don't have the things I can detect as Chinese-isms.  BTW, the video quality on the KBS channel, provided you click the little cogwheel and select the "HD" version, is much better than the transcoded rips on either ondemandkorea, or the various thieving sites.

Also I just took a look on subscene,com  and as far as I can tell the only subs they're ripping are the somewhat inferior ones from ondemandkorea.com, though I suppose that's not really a problem, since you're allowed to view the KBSW subbed streams from anywhere in the world except from Korea itself and, bizarrely, Japan.

But this is another matter where its not necessary to go very far  back in this thread to get the info.

Thanks

9 hours ago, ggry said:

人之初,性本善。性相近,習相遠。

[...]

Men at birth, are by nature, good.
Their natures are similar, but their habits make them differ from each other.

Mr Google gets  人之初,性本善   right. But as I rather feared, every time he sees  性 his incurably dirty mind makes him bring sex into it.

But on the actual point...  The "neo-Confucianism" which as a deliberate political agenda marginalized Buddhism in Korea in a steady process lasting over several centuries, was essentially a caste system, so 人 in the Classical texts came to be interpreted as referring to educated elites only , with the rest of Shakespeare's "poor forked creatures" which many scholars believe that character portrays, being a different sort of inferior being, who could never in any respect be equal in any sense, including moral virtue,  to any true 人. 

Confucianism in its  particular Korean interpretation came to shape every aspect of everyone's lives, but as a system of ethics and beliefs, it never made many inroads into the private domain of women. Those saeguks which show aristocratic ladies covertly consorting with Buddhist monks (who are often however their lovers in disguise in these dramas, such as Painter of the Wind) are not wholly fanciful in that respect. And the beliefs of Korean womenfolk outside, and to some degree within, the aristocracy were, and to some extent still are, shaped by shamanism as much as Buddhism, a fact also faithfully reflected in many Kdramas.

One key difference between the Buddhist and Confucian world view is of course that in Buddhism there is no caste system. The condition into which an individual is born is for that lifetime only, and their conduct in that lifetime influences their standing, including maybe their social standing, in their next life.  However lowly the station into which they are born, they have always the possibility, indeed the duty, of earning rebirth into a better condition by acquiring merit. A sort of  radical "meritocracy" in other words for which there is no space in the Confucian outlook.

Which brings me back to that super-long mala that Yeong Suk was using to count off her prostrations in the temple on behalf of her husband. I've now had some replies to my queries about that scene, and aside from the usual "Stop watching that trash! You'll just pick up BAD KOREAN", the responses had one rather interesting thing in common. None of the  scholars of Korean Buddhism I asked had ever seen a mala with so many beads. One response was that the practices of women in their local temples are often mingled with shamanistic elements of which such an item may be an example.  Well, that I think that's fair enough on the basis of the three screencaps I sent along, but the sequence in context shows that in this instance there is no trace of shamanism in Yeong Suk's devotions and that she is carrying out a perfectly orthodox sequence of ritual prostrations, but is using an unusually long set of beads to count them off (instead of looping round a shorter set of beads multiple times).

However, another scholar who responded kindly took the trouble of asking around among monks attached to the sort of small local temples where we see Yeong Suk's devotions, and several of them told him that in Korea it is not unknown for people who have undertaken a particularly long and ardous sequence of ritual prostrations to use a mala with a corresponding number of beads to help them focus on the arduousness of their exercise, the sheer length of the mala and its somewhat cumbersome coiling around them as they rise and fall making their task visibly more demanding and hence their perseverance with it even more meritorious.  So it seems that Yeong Suk's mala was indeed significant.

On 2/20/2016 at 10:54 AM, Cinderello Martinez said:

It is going to be heartbreaking if NY dies.

I hope she will not die. Probably due to intense depression 'disappeared' and presumed dead. Saved miraculously by DH and both decided to 'plot' their revenge against all those were destroyed their 'family' live?

As @mdj101 spotted, KBS have filled out the Baek Do Hui part of the site a bit.
Here's the current state of the character profiles it contains

Baek Do Hui , 32 Years old
Adopted daughter of Baek Dong Jin and An Seong Ju.

A highly accomplished pianist and singer, proficient at horse-riding, golf and other sports, fluent in English and Japanese.

She has the characteristic haughtiness of the pampered daughter of a rich family, and a ferocious and unbendingly exacting personality.

Once she embarks on something she relentlessly sees it through to the bitter end. Though she may look like a typical fashionista, she has the temperament of a pit viper, biting her prey and wrapping herself round its windpipe till it dies . [Whoever wrote that seems to be confusing vipers with constrictors, and indeed not to understand exactly how snake venom works, but we get the message.]

A reporter for an Internet current affairs weekly, she seeks out challenging assignments and once she scents a hot story she relentlessly pursues it.

Under pressure from her father, she very reluctantly agrees to enter into an arranged marriage with Park Hwi Gyeong, the son of the Baekdo Group.

An Seong Ju,  Mid 50s
Baek Do Hui's fother.

Under the influence of her husband's forceful personality she dropped out of college despite her family's opposition.

Her marriage to her husband Dong Jin is nowadays just an empty show. The only real family she has is her daughter Do Hui.

Baek Dong Jin, Late 50's
Baek Do Hui's father.

A brilliantly successful investor, jovial and easy-going.

Once he sets his mind to something, he bulldozers it through.

[And no, I've never myself really encountered an easy-going bulldozer, but then I've fortunately yet to come across a venomous constrictor either, and I'm just translating this stuff] .  BTW I have included "adopted" wherever it's in the original in those profiles and lett if out where it's absent. But if anyone tries to take that as evidence that BDH is "really" her parents' biological daughter, I am likely to go on a rampage at the wheel of an extremely unjovial demolition vehicle.]

7 hours ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

It is going to be heartbreaking if NY dies.

I hope she will not die. Probably due to intense depression 'disappeared' and presumed dead. Saved miraculously by DH and both decided to 'plot' their revenge against all those were destroyed their 'family' live?

what i can do is just wait and see..hahhaa..maybe i'll watching this drama after ep 50.

Guest my2centsworth

I went back and watched the first 5 esps and more things were brought to light for me.  For instance......YN's mom received the brown envelope from someone. She asked who sent it and the delivery man said..."all we do is deliver" , So she didn't know who sent it, but we know it had papers proving by DNA who someone's parents are. I only saw the last page with stated "000.01%" ( or something similar ) that some child and some adult were not related. Then NY's mom rushed out and next we see in  the car with YK. I think those DNA papers were for KW and SJ. That is why YN's mom was so insistent that about YK's lie. This may have already been said. I only joined this forum last week so if someone has said this before, sorry for repeating it. But I agree with you.

Another thing I am curious about is the fact that DH's last name is Baek and SJ's grandfather owns Baekdo Company. There may be no connection, but if does make me wonder. There are lost of puzzles developing in this drama. Sometimes it seems to drag a little but most of it is getting better and better.

OH......@baduy Thank you again for the info on the other site. Went there and subs are up to esp 10. It was a great help. Still behind but it's better that it was.

11 hours ago, Cinderello Martinez said:

what i can do is just wait and see..hahhaa..maybe i'll watching this drama after ep 50.

Some dramas can be addictive and so far 1-15 eps plots are great. Her adopted family is very real, the love, support and concern for each other.

TJ is going thru immense 'guilt' his final CHOICE and I am sure in real life this happens everywhere, everyday.

50 minutes ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Some dramas can be addictive and so far 1-15 eps plots are great. Her adopted family is very real, the love, support and concern for each other.

TJ is going thru immense 'guilt' his final CHOICE and I am sure in real life this happens everywhere, everyday.

i can't  wait revenge part! 

Archived