Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

3 minutes ago, .crestfallen. said:

Haven't had time for a rewatch, but I've been wondering about DS' baduk lesson scene. TK just had to clumsily try to open the yogurt right after DS failed to solve the rubix cube... He couldn't possibly be this clumsy when there's no one around, right? He does travel overseas without his dad sometimes and is often left undisturbed in his room, so he can't possibly struggle with life basics all the time, right? Was he doing that because he realized how frustrated DS was becoming at her inability to focus / lack of brainy intelligence? And wanted her to see that she could be smart in more practical ways?

What I found interesting in this scene was DS' baduk move. She isn't stupid, and TK knows that she isn't stupid. But she placed her stone IN THE MIDDLE of the intersecting lines IN THE MIDDLE of the board. ;) 

I'll let @shooastrid explain that. She's the baduk expert around here. lol. 

• Like 7

It's funny how the writer showed the transition period between '88 and '94..through the sung family watching different shows on different years,rooting for their favorite singer/contestants lol.Another dig writer took at the viewers for whom the time most spent is done either by watching tv or doing other insignificant things like JB's stamp collection,video arcades or online puzzle games lol.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

What I found interesting in this scene was DS' baduk move. She isn't stupid, and TK knows that she isn't stupid. But she placed her stone IN THE MIDDLE of the intersecting lines IN THE MIDDLE of the board. ;) 

She was crossing the line again? [credit for the find goes to: @allegramente]

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

No.

She wasn't on any line at all. lol. I want to see how @shooastrid will interpret that move. Remember every baduk move reveals the mindset of the player.

I mean the way she placed that stone on the middle of the board,that does not apply to any rule of baduk as my limited/no understanding of baduk goes.

Shooastrid can obviously give us the faqs yeah.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, packmule3 said:

Would be interested to see the analysis from a baduk perspective as well.  Taek's entire "courtship" could be seen as one long baduk game.  And the kiss in the hotel room?  The whole setup was choreographed as a baduk play if you look at it carefully.  

• Like 12

the easy things we must aware from begining is:

On earlier ep: They used Jungbong for confuse (viewers) and cover for a while bora husband.

meanwhile JH for cover Ds real husband.

The problem is the used the brother from same family: JB and JH are siblings here. Hohoho.. 

One things again:

they used JB postcard to share the whole country about the star from ssangmudong on lee mon sae Radio.

FIRST Lee mon sae read JB postcard was about CHOI TAEK IS STAR FROM SSANGMU-DONG, is close friend to JB. 

SECOND lee mon sae read JB postcard was about SUNG BORA ALSO STAR FROM SSANGMU-DONG, she also close friend to JB.

LEE MON SAE ALREADY STATED ABOUT "THE STAR" FROM THIS REPLY SERIES 1988. LOL.

• Like 16

53 minutes ago, mangachickava said:

if im not mistaken all the couples of the show get really started in ep 9

JB and MO umbrella scene

SW mom and TK dad oppa, taking care scene

DS and TK china scenes

SW and Br picking up middle of nowhere scene

LITERALLY the romantic love lines were all established in ep 9 ALL TOGETHER.

Yes, and they all broke up in Ep.17, too, right before the time jump.

SunBora, JB-MO, and DS-Taek - I interpreted DS pretending that the kiss was a dream as a sort of break-up: DS deciding to put Taek on hold.

• Like 16

5 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Sooooo people finally figured him out, eh? :D I knew they could do it. Just give it time and people would discover it themselves.

YES. Taek's answer/reasoning is very simple. He loves DS and he knows that DS likes to fuss so HE allows her to fuss. He's indulging her. 

Another different "manly" Alpha-male type of man would find this level of pampering or coddling very emasculating. But for Taec, it didn't matter, he tolerated it, even indulged in it because it made her feel important, wanted, needed.

DR actually pointed this out in Episode 5 when he lectured JH. He told JH that the reason HIS mom was angry at him, his dad and Hyung, after she came back home and found the place nice and neat was that "you guys were doing so well, even without Mom." ;)

So, that kind of relationship between DS and TK, that understanding, that symbiosis is unique…considering that Taekie recognized -- on his own -- this part of DS' human nature since 1988. 

Neat, huh? ;)

Thank you for helping me to find another layers of Taek.. He is really interesting character. Yes I think you are right. Actually, Taek is not stupid in term of life skill. He behaves like that "because it made her feel important, wanted, needed." He makes DS feel that she is special and precious person for him. And not only to DS but also to his dad and friends. Taek knows that his dad is happy if he can take care of Taek even if without a mom. Taek knows his friends maybe would feel "shy" or "awkward" to become friends with a famous person like him. So this is his way to show his love for DS, his dad, and his friends.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, pixiemoondust said:

Oooh interesting.. I'm a complete noob at baduk and I'm really curious to know how it's setup like the game? Would you mind elaborating? Thanks @fangurling123 ♥

I'll leave it to people better versed in baduk to go into the nuances and intricacies of the game.  I have an extremely limited understanding of the basic rules, but it suffices to understand the metaphor and imagery.  

The basic goal of baduk is to build and control the most territories on the board.  A key rule is the rule of "capture."  Each stone has 4 "liberties" around the 4 points (N, S, E, W points) surrounding its circumference.  You capture the opponent's stone (similar to chess) by eliminating all 4 liberties around a stone by blocking the opponent's stone with your stones.  If a stone is positioned at the edge of the board, it only has 3 liberties.  Basically, the hotel kiss scene depicts such a "capture."  Deoksun's "liberties" are completely eliminated and Taek has "captured" her much like one would capture an opponent's stone in baduk by completely surrounding her on 3 sides (left arm and right arm placed on each side of the seat and body blocking her front).  The back of her seat represents the edge of the board.  This would be much easier to explain if I could figure out how to post pictures here and show comparisons to baduk positions but I can't seem to be able to post pictures here.

• Like 24

44 minutes ago, fangurling123 said:

I'll leave it to people better versed in baduk to go into the nuances and intricacies of the game.  I have an extremely limited understanding of the basic rules, but it suffices to understand the metaphor and imagery.  

The basic goal of baduk is to build and control the most territories on the board.  A key rule is the rule of "capture."  Each stone has 4 "liberties" around the 4 points surrounding its circumference.  You capture the opponent's stone (similar to chess) by eliminating all 4 liberties around a stone by blocking the opponent's stone with your stones.  If a stone is positioned at the edge of the board, it only has 3 liberties.  Basically, the hotel kiss scene depicts such a "capture."  Deoksun's "liberties" are completely eliminated and Taek has "captured" her much like one would capture an opponent's stone in baduk by completely surrounding her on 3 sides (left arm and right arm placed on each side of the seat and body blocking her front).  The back of her seat represents the edge of the board.  This would be much easier to explain if I could figure out how to post pictures here and show comparisons to baduk positions but I can't seem to be able to post pictures here.

and let's not forget his sweater pattern when he "captured" her... :wub:

qIgJ29p.png

#blackbadukstones #initforthekill

@packmule3 still waiting for your tom cruise chocolate theory! hehe :) but now that i re-watched episode 2.. for someone who is assumed to have harbored a crush on SW that time, she sure did not act girly or flirty or weird like she did to him/JH in later episodes. throughout the scene with the OT5 in JH's room I noticed that DS did not flirt or anything, she even screamed out loud in front of SW. and we know that the bag's position and the shoes also changed slightly from the time she puts the chocolate there and when we see SW grabbing his bag. 

XeB16vf.jpg

KGJxuye.jpg

• Like 18

go-game-liberties-21.png 

I'll help @fangurling123

See, Deoksun is the black stone in our left hand corner. 1 and 2 is her liberties (the path her piece can go to) but Taek's hands acted as white stone covering 1 and 2, CAPTURING Deoksun's black stone (heart?)  :)

OMG! That's a great Baduk reference! I didn't realise it. I just learned Baduk (Korean) or Go (in Japan) and it's actually complicated and full of philosophy. 

(picture is not mine)

Edited by Pokopokopo
  • Like 18

9 hours ago, .crestfallen. said:

^ Thanks for pointing out the cookie scene, packmule3.

Haven't had time for a rewatch, but I've been wondering about DS' baduk lesson scene. TK just had to clumsily try to open the yogurt right after DS failed to d the rubix cube... He couldn't possibly be this clumsy when there's no one around, right? He does travel overseas without his dad sometimes and is often left undisturbed in his room, so he can't possibly struggle with life basics all the time?? Was he doing that because he realized how frustrated DS was becoming at her inability to focus / lack of brainy intelligence? And wanted her to see that she could be smart in more practical ways? Or was the show simply trying to contrast TK's high IQ vs. common sense intelligence?

In ep 18 Tk did just fine putting on his watch, dressing up handsomely all by himself, without anyone's help. But in an earlier episode, when DR was with him, his can't even button up properly,  that reminds what Choi appa said, he's clingy to people he likes, but I guess it doesn't apply just to girls but the people he's attached too. So beside the girl he loves, he does  that to the other 4 too because he knows he can do so without burdening them. He can't do the same to his father because it wud worry him much, also burdening his dad more than necessary. 

• Like 14

41 minutes ago, Pokopokopo said:

go-game-liberties-21.png 

I'll help @fangurling123

See, Deoksun is the black stone in our left hand corner. 1 and 2 is her liberties (the path her piece can go to) but Taek's hands acted as white stone covering 1 and 2, CAPTURING Deoksun's black stone (heart?)  :)

OMG! That's a great Baduk reference! I didn't realise it. I just learned Baduk (Korean) or Go (in Japan) and it's actually complicated and full of philosophy. 

(picture is not mine)

Check out diagrams 9 and 11 in this link.  That is the shape formed by Taek's arms and body.  

http://www.kiseido.com/ff.htm

• Like 6