[Drama 2015/2016] The Merchant : Gaekju 2015 장사의 신-객주 2015 | Wed/Thur 10 PM KST

Prettysup

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Prettysup
I think they assign different volunteers to different episodes. The second team starts on Ep. 2 while the first one is still working on Ep.1.  This way there won't be too long a wait between the 2 episodes (  which will be better as we won't be so frustrated waiting a long time after the 1st episode. )

By the way, if you have time, try watching the RAW.  It is actually fun. Just let the sound pass thru and watch the moving pictures.  You may not understand anything but you will see more details of the actors and actresses' expressions, the way they move their bodies,
the colors of their clothes, the food they eat, the alcohol they drink, the chopsticks they use... and a lot of little things we can see more and better when we don't move our eyes away to read the English sub.  Then later, when the subbed version comes out, you can watch again to get the story.

I found out that watching the RAW gives me the same experience as traveling to another foreign lands where people don't speak the languages that I know. It is fun. 
:)

And hangul is actually a pretty sound to listen to...  

@Prettysup
I think they assign different volunteers to different episodes. The second team starts on Ep. 2 while the first one is still working on Ep.1.  This way there won't be too long a wait between the 2 episodes (  which will be better as we won't be so frustrated waiting a long time after the 1st episode. )

By the way, if you have time, try watching the RAW.  It is actually fun. Just let the sound pass thru and watch the moving pictures.  You may not understand anything but you will see more details of the actors and actresses' expressions, the way they move their bodies,
the colors of their clothes, the food they eat, the alcohol they drink, the chopsticks they use... and a lot of little things we can see more and better when we don't move our eyes away to read the English sub.  Then later, when the subbed version comes out, you can watch again to get the story.

I found out that watching the RAW gives me the same experience as traveling to another foreign lands where people don't speak the languages that I know. It is fun. 

A Great observation

Hi @gerrytan8063

What a nice surprise to see you!    :)

I'm glad you've come to this thread. I was just talking to @valsava about me asking you so many questions you probably didn't want to see my profile picture popping up in the same thread you participated! :sweatingbullets:

Please extend your knowledge and your valuable info to all of us here just like you do at Hwajung.  We will all appreciate it.

Hi @gerrytan8063

I'm glad you've come to this thread. I was just talking to @valsava about me asking you so many questions you probably didn't want to see my profile picture popping up in the same thread you participated! :sweatingbullets:

Please extend your knowledge and your valuable info to all of us here just like you do at Hwajung.  We will all appreciate it.

Not at all....as long as I can answer the query, I will do so

Hi @gerrytan8063

Not at all....as long as I can answer the query, I will do so

@gerrytan8063  Welcome Aboard I hope you enjoyed the first two episodes as much as I

@SMP567 @valsava

The word Gaekju (객주,客主) literally translates to "innkeeper merchant," which refers to private or free traders who sold grain wholesale; the word gaekju is no longer used in present-day Korea but was commonly used in the Joseon era.

The story or drama takes place in the late 19th century & hearing the dialogue reflect a lot on the vocabulary, since it a screenplay taken from 10 volume full length novel (장편소설), there will be a lot of footnotes (in drama, the caption), because I don't think that even a native Korean aren't expected to know all the "trading" terminology & designation of the merchants, it may be pretty hard to maintained the flow when there is too many difficult words & I know that KBS World subs will not do any justice for your comprehension

@SMP567 @valsava

The opening credit...

Joseon Dynasty doesn't possess an actual circulation of commodity logistics & marketing network (Common reason for this assertion that Confucianism was anti-business & anti-merchant that Confucian scholar-official of top rank Joseon society), therefore that it is through these itinerant trader & their agencies to expedite & movement of the commodities. This so called itinerant trader are merchants who will travel long distances & trade in buying & selling of merchandise (wares) all over the country that become the bloodline of the economy

A portion of these people once they established their grounds will set up a Inn (trading company or guild hall) & become the proprietor of the Inn & address as the Innkeeper Merchant (Gaekju객주,客主)  

This story starts during the last years (3 years before) of the Joseon Dynasty, where Joseon Dynasty enjoyed the open market of trade from the Qing Dynasty & it opens the exploits of the Kaeseong (presently in North Korea) Cheon Family Inn's Gaekju whose coverage its 1,200 miles of nationwide network

Guest ororomunroe

[Spoilers] The Merchant (PILOT)

@Prettysup

I did tried, I actually watched episode 1 raw via KBS live streaming but I hated it coz I have so many questions which I don't understand at all and I feel that I wasn't doing justice to the great drama. So I decided to remain spoiler-free for episode 2 in order to enjoy and appreciate it fully. Hopefully we can get the subs by tomorrow, both ep1 and 2 together will be great ! 

Thank you so much @gerrytan8063  for the information on Gaekju (객주,客主). It is not only interesting to know, but also sets the understanding of the core of this drama. I am very impressed to hear that these merchants traveled on foot 1,200 miles nationwide to do their business.

Ep 1 starts with nice cheerful music and the cute little Cheon Bong Sam. He is so lively and super cute the way he talks and smiles.
The ceremony for the itinerant traders to begin their trade journey is awesome. Everyone is happy except the only son of the owner !   :)  So funny.  

Cheon Oh Soo (Kim Seung Soo), the owner of the trading company, delivers the prayers in such an impactful manner. This actor has a way to speak that commands authority.

By the way, their main product is said to be dried sea cucumbers. Has anyone tried it before? 
Looking up at Wikipedia, it does not appeal to my appetite...

• 240px-Dried_sea_cucumber.jpg

"Teripang" on a market in Asia.

•  
  • 304px-Sea_cucumber_dish_2.jpg

Sea cucumber in sauce in China.

•  
  • 240px-Haisom_Cah_Jamur_1.JPG

Haisom cah jamur,Chinese Indonesian sea cucumber with mushroom.

•  
  • 333px-Sea_cucumber_dish_3.jpg

Fried sea cucumbers.

•  
  • 211px-Keripik_teripang_1.JPG

Kripik teripang, Indonesian sea cucumber cracker.

(c)Wikipedia 

•  

@ororomunroe Are those comments from the Korean community? Glad to see it getting positive feedback!

@SMP567 Yes here we eat sea cucumbers normally during festive season coz it is not cheap. It tastes quite chewy and not everyone loves it, though I personally find it quite nice.

@gerrytan8063 Thanks for the explanations, are you a native Korean?

@Prettysup

Thank you for the info.  You said the sea cucumber tasted chewy.  Does it feel like the typical meat such as chicken or pork?  I am so curious.  It was mentioned in the drama that the Chinese ( Qing ) valued dried sea cucumber more than wild ginseng. And you also said this was festival food and not cheap.
Do you think they sell this in a Chinese or Korean supermarket?  I can't stop my curiosity until I experiment it...

@Prettysup

"Thanks for the explanations, are you a native Korean?"

No, I am not Korean but have travel to Korea to & fro since 2002 for work & leisure

@SMP567

As Cheon Bong Sam tells the Magistrate that Sea Cucumber (海参 known in the drama Heuk Chung 충,黑蟲literally black worm/slug, explained in caption as Dried Sea Cucumber 말린 해삼)

Above Ginseng (Insam 人參,인삼cultivate) is Mountain Ginseng (Sansam,山参, 산삼, wild), above Mountain Ginseng is Sea Cucumber (Haesam,海参,해삼)

"Has anyone tried it before? "

Yes, in a very expensive soup called Buddha's Temptation (佛跳墙,불도장, literally Buddha Jump over the Wall) You may not find this soup serving in Korea, since in 1989, the Jogye Order (Korea Buddhist sect) has strongly opposed the selling of the dish because the name is considered a blasphemy to Buddhism 

Archived