[Drama 2015/2016] The Merchant : Gaekju 2015 장사의 신-객주 2015 | Wed/Thur 10 PM KST

Prettysup

Why do I feel that the picture below of Han Chae Ah in wet white clothes looks a lot sexier than the picture of Kim Min Jung in the bathtub...

12003409_911377792287716_111825926169316
topstarnews
                                                       This actress is truly a  Korean beauty... 

12036388_911711425587686_481710659591338soompi

12036580_909155619176600_431072621312234
soompi

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, SMP567, for the script reading video. All the familiar sageuk faces there! Next to Jang Hyuk is the young man who got me interested in k-drama in the first place, sageuk veteran Jung Tae-woo. Great to see him, just off Jingbirok & here playiing the hero's sidekick. I see Im Ho in there too & so many others.

It's a good autumn for sageuk actors, with 4 in the works. It must be a challenge to make this one different & fresh since the merchant angle has been done several times. 'Sangdo' is a favorite of mine. It's a hard act to follow. 

Thanks, SMP567, for the script reading video. All the familiar sageuk faces there! Next to Jang Hyuk is the young man who got me interested in k-drama in the first place, sageuk veteran Jung Tae-woo. Great to see him, just off Jingbirok & here playiing the hero's sidekick. I see Im Ho in there too & so many others.

It's a good autumn for sageuk actors, with 4 in the works. It must be a challenge to make this one different & fresh since the merchant angle has been done several times. 'Sangdo' is a favorite of mine. It's a hard act to follow. 

Pics from Jung Tae woo's instagram:

c015aa45ebf81a4cbd5fbb79d12a6059252da63d

f9dccbcc7b899e518ae16da444a7d933c8950d3e

Why do I feel that the picture below of Han Chae Ah in wet white clothes looks a lot sexier than the picture of Kim Min Jung in the bathtub...

This actress is truly a  Korean beauty... 

The character description for Han Chae Ah's role in this drama is : A gorgeous beauty whom men of all age and status would like to hold in their arms. So she is acting as a drop dead beauty here, well suited for the role.

@SMP567 Yes poor Jang Hyuk got to carry damsel in distress again, good thing that he is super fit and a martial arts expert in real life ! 

@jongski Yes you must watch Tree with Deep Roots, it is a must watch for all saguek fans who wants to learn Korean language, even if you are not a Jang Hyuk fan.

@valsava I love to watch JH fighting too, he is so awesome!

@LACruiser, Thanks for the info, it is 1 day to go now!

@prettysup,   Hello my day started and hour late which means I'll be and hour late for my morning nap.. LOL How are you this lovely Tuesday..

I think I read Some Where That JH Used To Be A Boxer, Can't Be For Sure, Correct Me If I'm Wrong Someone 

@valsava It is already Tuesday night for me hehe... I read somewhere that JH was a former gymnast? He also was a taekwondo athlete and learnt Jeet do kee (some martial arts).  Currently he does boxing on a recreational basis, he always post boxing videos on his Instagram account. I don't think he was a professional boxer though. 

Article from : https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/

Gaekju – 7 minute trailer explained – sort of 

2 Votes

IMG_5091

Gaekju is coming guyssssss! It starts on September 23rd at 10pm in Korea. It’ll also be available with english subs through KBS World (starting on September 30th) and on Viki.

My enthusiasm level for this drama has increased with each trailer. The 7 minute trailer sent it through the roof! I hope it has the same effect on you my friends!

We already saw the good quality of filming and acting in previous trailers but we didn’t know much about the story itself. The 7 minute trailer reveals some of the background of our characters, especially the conflict that triggers the personal struggle of Bongsam (Jang Hyuk) and Gil So Gae (Yu Oh Seong) and the nature of their relationship. A lot of pain and guilt in these men past! Gaekju will show us how both of them deal with it.

img_5086-0.jpg?w=500

Below is how Gumi summarized the trailer for me. WARNING! She did fill in the blanks so the actual story might turn out slightly different. The trailer, after all, only showed isolated scenes with revealing facts and Gumi sort of connected dots.

Chun (Bongsam’s father) and Gil (So Gae’s father) worked together. They were friends and colleagues. At some point Gil needs money, desperately so he gets involved in opium trade.

Chun Bongsam’s father, as leader of Chun’s gaekju, had to punish Gil and according to the law, an opium trader should be sentenced to death. Chun gives poison to Gil. Gil drinks it and dies. His son Gil So Gae screams and cries “No, please don’t drink it father!” Gil’s father dies leaving these as his last words “You should become rich, you should become the leader of all those merchants”

Gil So Gae is now traumatized and he hates Chun Bongsam’s father. So Gae seems to become involved with opium as well. Now someone had to be responsible for that opium and Chun says he will take the blame so he is executed. This way Gil So Gae caused Bongsam’s father death as well :( Oh the pain already!

The now enemies, share a past where they were raised almost as a family.Chunand Gil were friends so their kids were like cousins and there was  even a promise that Bongsam’s sister would marry Gil So Gae. This should make for some amazing inner conflicts and angsty bromantic frenemy situation between Chun Bongsam and Gil So Gae. Can’t wait!

We all know how serious and hard working Jang Hyuk is, so its no surprise that he is once again giving his all to this project. But the spirit that can be perceived from interviews and the press conference is that every single person involved in this production is extremely passionate about it! The PD is a serious, earnest man who was responsible for very successful sageuk, such as the series Wang Gun. To create the background of Bongsam in this series (something that had not been dealt with in the novel), he actually consulted the writer of the original novel and asked him what he thought his past would’ve been like.  Now that’s what I call dedication! Given the love, effort and talent that is surrounding this drama I really wish it much success, and not only because my favorite actor is in it. GAEKJU FIGHTING! 

Credit :  https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/2015/09/20/gaekju-7-minute-trailer-explained-sort-of/

@valsava It is already Tuesday night for me hehe... I read somewhere that JH was a former gymnast? He also was a taekwondo athlete and learnt Jeet do kee (some martial arts).  Currently he does boxing on a recreational basis, he always post boxing videos on his Instagram account. I don't think he was a professional boxer though. 

@prettysup   I knew it was something like that

This is today?  I'll be able to watch it subbed on KBS World TV ( reason why I like KBS all their dramas subbed in English)  But it'll be be a week after. But it's ok

KBS World TV twtr feed

The Merchant : Gaekju 2015 [Trailer] *Premiere: Sep 30 / Every Wed&Thu 21:50 (UTC+9, Seoul)

Embedded image permalink

This drama has different names:  The Merchant,  God of Trade,  Innkeeper ...
It'll be hard for fans to find this thread.  I wouldn't have known if I hadn't heard from @valsava

Yeah that's why I put so many names on the first page haha.. The official English title according to KBS world should be "The Merchant : Gaekju 2015" but if you translate it from the Korean title literally, it is "God of Trade / Commerce". And since Gaekju is not an English word, some people translated it to Inn or Innkeeper. 

@Prettysup
I went back to look on the first page and you did put down all the names !
Thank you for the explanation.
I think a lot of Jang Hyuk's fans might not know about this drama yet.
They will appreciate it if we let them know.
I posted in one facebook introducing this thread and the drama.
Could you do the same on Jang Hyuk's Soompi page if he has one?
Thank you.  :)

PS: I have to go and won't be back til tomorrow.

Archived