Bae Yong Joon 배용준

Admin

Guest LeafClover

Hi...

Now the whole singapore know about what 8-days magazine reporters done. Just imagine the percentage of the people getting the news of magazine been complained against the number of people to buy the magazine.

Almost 95% of singaporean read news paper and only 5% reading 8-days magazine on thursday..haha..

8-days really gotten themselves popular. :lol::lol::lol:

10-27-2005

Movie Industry Set for Another Successful Year

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

kt2200510272034401bb.jpg

Bae Yong-joon, left, and Son Ye-jin starred in “April Snow,”

which is this year’s most popular film abroad so far.

It may be disappointing that there has not been a mega hit film this year nor any art films that have stood at the center of attention at renowned international film festivals.

Last year, big news often came out from the scene of the local movie industry, such as two blockbuster movies ``Silmido’’ and ``Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood War’’ breaking the 11-million-viewer mark each for the first time and director Kim Ki-duk receiving awards at Venice and Berlin with two different films.

Experts, however, say it is too early to forecast tough times ahead for the domestic movie industry.

``Films are not like products from a factory,’’ said Park Hee-seong, a scholar from the researcher and development department at the Korean Film Council (KOFIC). ``They are a cultural product so you can’t simply judge how successful the film industry is based only on films’ box office performance.’’

She agreed that such blockbusters as ``Rikidozan,'' ``Crying Fist'' and ``Antarctic Journal'' with high expectations for commercial success ended up even missing the break-even point during their domestic run, contributing to the gloomy forecasts.

But she pointed out the fact people miss is that six films drew more than 3 million moviegoers each, three more than last year and much anticipated blockbusters are slated for the latter part this year.

``Despite the commercial failure of blockbusters in the first half, local films have maintained slightly over a 50-percent seat occupation rate competing with Hollywood films thanks to the unexpected success of various other films,’’ Park said.

``Welcome to Dongmakgol,’’ ``Running Boy,’’ ``Marrying the Mafia 2’’ and ``Mapado’’ all drew 3 million moviegoers and helped diversify the spectrum of local movies, many of which tended to rely only on the attraction of big stars, she said.

The strong lineup for later this year which increases the expectation for the growth of local films includes ``The Typhoon (Taepung)’’ directed by Kwak Kyung-taek starring Jang Dong-gun; ``Blue Swallow (Chongyon),’’ co-production between Japan and South Korea; and ``Running Wild (Yasu)’’ starring Kwon Sang-woo and Yoo Ji-tae.

Success of Local Films Abroad

Regarding the failure of big budget releases, many believe that since the size of the local market is limited, it is inevitable for competition to be fierce and it seems that many local film companies have tried to find a way to open a new market in other countries.

According to one report from KOFIC, the growth in Korean film exports has expanded rapidly over the last few years but has slowed during the first half of 2005 with only a slight increase over the last year.

In the period, a total of 153 local films were exported to 52 countries, which totaled about $ 41,809,976, a 28.6-percent increase over the previous year.

``It’s true that the outcome has not yet been satisfying. But we believe Korean films are becoming like a brand, which can generally appeal to international audiences,’’ Park said.

But, it is no doubt that this year’s most successful Korean film abroad is ``April Snow,’’ which was released Sept. 17 in 10 different Asian countries.

In Japan, which is regarded as the biggest film market in Asia, the film attracted 2 million moviegoers as of Oct. 25 and will likely be the most successful Korean film there.

The huge popularity of main actor Bae Yong-joon, who is affectionately called ``Yonsama'' among Japanese fans, surely contributed to its international success, but people behind the success say there was much preparation needed to make it successful.

``You can’t make a film successful only with a star,’’ Michelle Son, head of international business at Show East, which is in charge of international marketing for ``April Snow.’’ ``First of all, the film should be good enough to appeal to international audiences.’’

In the beginning of the film project, even when main actors weren’t cast, they had to prepare for international sales by understanding characteristics of each market and target audiences, she added.

kt2200510272034400b2.jpg

She mentioned that they usually need a longer period of time for promotion of a film in Japan adding they had to book theaters one year and started to promote the film six months earlier before its release. For the Chinese market, they also had to be aware of China’s foreign film quota system.

Opening simultaneously in other Asian countries is a way to help minimize illegal downloading and the pirating of DVDs, but it can be only possible when fuller understanding of each market is completed and when suitable marketing strategies are set up, she emphasized.

The industry is looking at international markets and various ways to make film distribution and promotion easier in the targeted countries.

One of the most anticipated films ``Daisy,’’ for example, is in production with a locally raised budget, starring such big local actors as Jun Ji-hyun and Jung Woo-sung, but it is directed by internationally acclaimed director Andrew Lau of the ``Infernal Affair’’ series to appeal the film to international audiences.

``We now considered of how to appeal to international audiences in the project stage,’’ said a staff from iFilm, company behind ``Daisy.’’ ``We thought that not only big stars but also a famous director is needed for its international release.’’

But as Korean film exports heavily depend on the Japanese market, which makes up 74.1 percent of the total international sales, it is also said that varying markets is needed.

``We find that Korean films started to appeal to international audiences with its distinguishable characteristics from Hollywood films,’’ Park said. ``That can now help the local film industry vary its marketing in other countries.’’

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

10-27-2005 19:46

Source: The Korea Times

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...19440911680.htm

Thank Rubie for posting the article here.

Japan has the biggest market which i think why almost all (be it Kr or other countries in Asia) are trying to get to Japan. Yong Joon is so lucky that the Japanese recognize his talent. It doesn't matter whether it was reported in the news that Yong Joon is the adopted son in law of the Japanese, for so long the he's able to penetrate and be successful in Japan already means a lot.

I think from this report we can say that Yong Joon is bankable not only in Korea but as well as Japan.

Btw, for everyone's information various reports today reported (Frances and I babel) that BYJ's dvd from KBS is listed to be a top export, Yong Joon is again ranked as the #1 in infoseek for male survery, Untold Scandal is being offered to be shown in Bulgaria Korean Film Festival and one endorsement of BYJ (not really sure what product) also got increase in sales.

I hope we can all get translation of these reports by tomorrow.

:)

Thank Rubie for posting the article here.

Japan has the biggest market which i think why almost all (be it Kr or other countries in Asia) are trying to get to Japan. Yong Joon is so lucky that the Japanese recognize his talent. It doesn't matter whether it was reported in the news that Yong Joon is the adopted son in law of the Japanese, for so long the he's able to penetrate and be successful in Japan already means a lot.

I think from this report we can say that Yong Joon is bankable not only in Korea but as well as Japan.

Btw, for everyone's information various reports today reported (Frances and I babel) that said BYJ's dvd from KBS is listed to be a top export, Yong Joon is again ranked as the #1 in infoseek for male survery, Untold Scandal is being offered to be shown in Bulgaria Korean Film Festival and one endorsement of BYJ also got increase in sales.

I hope we can all get translation of these reports by tomorrow.

:)

AMTR looks like going to do as well as April Snow or better based on all the internet posting by Japanese fans and projections by the distributor. We shall see in about one months' time.

Let's see if it is going to be top 1 again in Japan this coming weekend.

Guest frances

its good that the two films of IMX talents, BYJ & SYJ are doing well in japan. & i must say amtr really had a very good break in its showing w/c is just right at the heels of AS. that was a wise move by the distributor (Gaga). i'm sure yong joon has a very warm smile on his face knowing that the other film of syj is also doing well in jpn.:)

we're also waiting for the next update tom at 3pm for the weekly result...( in jpn, they have 2 rankings, weekend & weekly) & how much to date is the total take of AS..so far it already earned $21 mln +...lets see tom.

Guest frances

Natural person BYJ told by photographer Kim Taehwan (photographer of The Image)

[Movie Seoul]5/2/05

translated fr japanese to korean - Vivarijuni

translated to english - Joanne

posted in kob & quilt

zzzzzz7nr.jpg

Q : What are the major works you have done?

A : I have done still (photo) shooting in Ghost Guard(?), Spring Summer....., My Sassy Girl Friend, Scandal, etc. and BYJ’s photo album.

Q : What was your impression of Mr BYJ when you met him for the first time?

A : I met him for the first time when I did the still photo shooting for film Scandal and my first impression was he was just a wonderful actor. I did not have any special feeling for him before, but the more we met, the stronger impression I got, he is really humane (warm-hearted), and he is a man who takes good care of the people around him..’

Q : How will you express BYJ in a single phrase after coming into contact with him at a close distance?

A : He is a lonely person. He often says that there is nothing one cannot do when one puts efforts. When I asked him, “Hyeong (senior/older brother), what do you do to excel in anything and everything that well?”, he said “It is not that I do well but it is because other people do not put efforts. There is nothing one cannot do when one puts efforts. I think that way.” As I see him saying like that, I thought that I myself must put efforts.

Q : You said Mr. BYJ loves to take photos, what is his capability in photography as seen by a professional photographer?

A : There are really many photos he captured at the decisive moment.

Q : Is Mr. BYJ’s keen sense on photography because of his being an actor?

A : He seems to be naturally born with it. His judgement is faster and more outstanding than people who graduated in Study on Photography. When I occasionally get difficult logical questions from him, I would be in cold sweat. When I visited his home, he was studying a book on photography.

Q : What does he mainly shoot?

A : People around him while he was shooting, staff working, those were good photos delivering its atmosphere.

Q : Does he go for photographing when he is busy?

A : He likes to drive to places nearby Seoul with a camera. At the period of shooting the photo album, he never let go of the camera from his hands.

Q : What were the episodes during shooting (photo album)?

A : There are many photos of him with camera in the photo album. He never let go of the camera. Walking with camera all the time like that, he kept on taking photos of staff.

When we went to a village where natives lived in Malaysia, the village people performed a welcome dance and he ran into them and danced with them wearing a folk mask. As he gave to children all the food our staff was supposed to eat, I felt his love of taking care of children.

When we were taking rest after finishing a shooting in Phuket, Thailand, Yongjoon-ssi said “ah~, I want to swim” and swam in butterfly style wearing only a swim pants on that wonderful figure. Exposing his chest on the water surface, he was wonderful as if a real bird was flying.

In Thailand, we did our last shooting on a yacht, it was tremendously hot so that he reached the climax of tiredness and felt a little dizzy. All (of us) thought that we cannot shoot on that day. However, after resting in shade for about 10 minutes and eating 2 cherry tomatoes, he would say “let’s begin.” Although staff dissuaded him from overstraining himself, he finished shooting uneventfully saying “No, as all of you feel difficult because of me, I have to work the hardest.”

Q : What is Mr. BYJ’s peculiarity or habit that you see in him?

A : When he talks, he has a big gesture. When he's thankful, he frequently rubs his chest. It seems to mean warmth. When his fans come to see him off, he puts his hands on his chest & wave to them(he jokingly mimicked(BYJ).^^)

Q : What is the reason BYJ has a special communication with Mr. Kim Taehwan since 2 years ago, while having contact with many photographers during the 10 years of his acting career?

A : May I say our hearts are in harmony. When it is apparent someone is to try to use him commercially because the presence of BYJ becomes big, the personal relationship will be bad. He probably did not see such thing in me or BUNDO section chief. He would advise me, “for you to become a famous photographer in the future, it would be good to work more in this area, and it would be good for you do this. I wish it as your Hyeong(senior/older brother). I thought he likes honest people.

Q : What is your feeling to be in charge of still (photos) in this BYJ’s new film ‘Oe Chool(April Snow)’?

A : I almost completed a contract for a different film. But Yongjoon-ssi said he would like to work with me, & I came to work on ‘Oe Chool(April Snow)’. Although it is good to work together because when people who know him takes photos, the expression would be good and I am used to the people I talk to, I plan to work on it while I also do the other work at the same time. It will be nice for me and Yongjoon-hyeong(senior/big brother) to have a relationship like photographer Bruce Weber and Richard Gere. If we continue to work together all the way with such feeling, wouldn’t we be able to accomplish a big event such as a human documentary.

Q : On which part are you placing emphasis in Oe Chool(April Snow)? Do you also take personal photos?

A : I would like to take the best photographs that suits the film image. Whatever Yongjoon-ssi does, I take all at my will. Even when he has really difficult time, (I take photos) as my work, not photos to use somewhere..When I do not carry my camera, Yongjoon-ssi would say “why didn’t you bring your camera?”

Q : If one day is given free for BYJ, where would you like to take photo (of him)?

A : The places I would like to recommend are Nakan, Gokseong, Hwasoon in Cholla Province. There is also Ssag-gye Temple where they cultivate tea. Yongjoon-ssi loves tea so much that he enjoys tea ceremony even in his home. However, he doesn’t seem to have been to Ssang-gye Temple yet. I went there when I was in college and it was really good. The cherry blossom street trees line up no less than 10-Ri(a Korean distance unit) and I would like shoot him when the cherry blossoms bloom. Yongjoon-ssi also said that he wanted to go with me.

Q : What is the point you feel (he is) great while you work with Yongjoon-ssi?

A : I have a feeling that there are 3~4 people in one person BYJ. He is a person with all-around capability one cannot think of as one person’s ability. His talent in golf and photography are above average, and acting is also of course (superb)..He is interested in architecture, loves tea and has profound knowledge in wine or poetry. We talked about politics before, he spoke with fervor. I felt that this person was not a simple entertainer. He seems to take photos real tremendously,(he talks with enthusiasm to the extent I was able to feel his passion^^)

Q : The color of Korean costumes in the still photos of ‘Scandal’ is very strong and what is the color which fits Yongjoon-ssi?

A : The black seems to be the most suitable. Although it seems that red group may not suit him well, the suit he wore when he went to Japan was good as it had feeling of high-class.

Q : (Is he) different now (compared to ) period of Scandal?

A : He seems to always keep in his mind that he has to be modest even when he becomes a star.

Q : If you also do a photo album next time, what kind of image (are you going to shoot)?

A : I wish I can also work with him at that time. I want to shoot his natural appearances. I also like Yongjoon-hyeong(senior/older brother) as an ordinary person rather than the appearance as an actor.

Q : What do you do for communication when you shoot?

A : When I shoot the ones I want, I shout it in a loud voice. When I shout at him, the actor will get that energy and send it back to me again. When I yell in a loud voice, Yongjoon-ssi would shout in a loud voice…When the sensibility and harmony fit well, my feeling really gets into high spirit.

Q : What is your feeling at the success of the photo album and what point do you keep in your heart?

A : My heart flutters. It is an honor to work in such a big event. I become confident and I feel wanting as my favorite photo was not chosen.

Q : What is your favorite photo among those not selected?

A : The photo he was sleeping was carried (in his photo album) and there is a cut where BYJ woke up and was running away after he found out that fact.

He was running away wearing only briefs after throwing a pillow at me..It was good as it showed natural feeling well….

Q : (We ask you ) a phrase on the photo album for the last time...

A : I would like you to turn your eyes to other places also, not only Yongjoon-ssi’s face, as if you are finding the secrets hidden in the photos. It is because all the things in there are only those Yongjoon-sssi likes. I would be thankful if you could feel different aspects of the photos.

[VOD] The Singer of the April Snow Theme Song---The Road

<¥~¥X>¥DÃD¦±­ì°ۤH

Source : Kyodo News

mms://bpsw00.goo.ne.jp/KYDGNC/KYDGNC200510270002/MOVKYDGNC20051027000205102716331803.wmv

Last Saturday was the Charity Premiere of AS in Malaysia. Yong of BMF shared here thoughts on AS which she posted in BYJ's Quilt. Btw, i was told by vignette that AS is R13 in our country :)

BYJ's Malaysia Family outing with April Snow

posted by Yong in BYJ's Quilt

Charity_Premier.jpg

At the Lobby

Charity+Premiere+Ticket.jpg

Charity Premiere Ticket

April Snow finally arrived on our Malaysian shore. I have waited with anticipation for the arrival of this movie for the past months – looking and hearing with envy where bae sisters all over the world could join in both the bunggaes in Seoul when it premiered in Korea. How, I wish I could join Yokee – our Malaysian sis in her trip too if not for my little ¡°Viking war¡± which kept me busy this year.

I was asked by Yokee, to write a little about the Charity Premier in Malaysia. Finally – UIP the film distributor and BYJ's Malaysia Family (BMF) has successfully organized this event on 22nd October 2005. Although the crowd was not as large as those of the Global Bunggae in Korea, we are still proud that it did attract a fair amount of audience.

Many fans of BYJ in Malaysia turned up for the event of which many who are definitely not "taugeh-plucking ah sohs" – but are closet fans which BMF hope to welcome them with open arms.

Prior to the start of the movie, BMF held a gathering for all its fans – unfortunately at a restaurant that was not very friendly towards us thinking that we were there doing some kind of promotion – well, we do have BYJ (standee) standing there and all our goody bags were also occupying the space. In the end, we ended up doing the lucky draws of BYJ stuff at the theater hall. All that said, I still think we did have a great time minus the hiccups.

How do I rate the movie after waiting for so long? I went in to watch the movie with an open mind not because I am a fan of BYJ (frankly, I am bit out of touch on BYJ because of my duty strategizing my "Viking war"). I have heard that there were both good and bad reviews of April Snow. Some has even compared it with WLS. I could not see any similarities with WLS as the characters and sceneries in AS are very much different. .

Some has said AS is just another love story. To me, April Snow is a movie which is rather mind provoking and needs a little working of the brains. It is not just a simple love story where infidelity of the spouses has led to the love affair of the other spouses.

The movie has left me with many questions unanswered. Is Seo-Young and In-soo taking the right path? Are they both just seeking revenge? Is Seo-Young a victim of circumstances? The movie has left me with a feeling of wanting to unfold the answers one by one.

I hope to watch April Snow a few more times but at this moment April Snow has my THUMBS-UP and both Bae Yong-Joon and Son Ye-Jin played their character very well. I hope that April Snow will have a good showing in Malaysia with the public release tomorrow, 27th October 2005.

Meanwhile, just enjoy the two photos above which were taken by Yokee at the Charity premier. I can't share my photo just yet because I have depended on my old faithful camera which is not a digital one.

Yong

BMF Team

I've just watched April Snow at the cinema....and having read the not so raving press reviews I went with an open mind... for me BYJ is an old fave....I cannot start to tell u how many times I hv watched WLS.

Still, in a nutshell I can only say I'm disappointed. Aside from the strict censorship that left very little of the love scenes, the movie did not impress. Both artistes did not display the talents they both so obviously have. I blame the script , the direction.....? ? Thought-provoking? The only thought that crosses my mind is...something I won't write for fear of being bashed....

There were eight of us....the general sentiment was unanimous...

As it was the 7pm show the cinema was... quiet...3 rows of people only.....

The audience talked thru' most of the show and laughed in all the wrong parts...( sorry to say I'm guilty of this too...). Note: There are no deliberate funny bits in this movie.

When the movie ended we stayed on to listen to the last song....yes- the consolation is that the OST is outstanding and haunting...

As I am a BYJ fan, the note that I would end on is .....out of loyalty , ...I would still have gone out and caught April Snow ....no matter what.

:mellow:

its good that the two films of IMX talents, BYJ & SYJ are doing well in japan. & i must say amtr really had a very good break in its showing w/c is just right at the heels of AS. that was a wise move by the distributor (Gaga). i'm sure yong joon has a very warm smile on his face knowing that the other film of syj is also doing well in jpn.:)

we're also waiting for the next update tom at 3pm for the weekly result...( in jpn, they have 2 rankings, weekend & weekly) & how much to date is the total take of AS..so far it already earned $21 mln +...lets see tom.

Ah...interesting...getting excited about the results...he he

Guest delinnia

Morning guys,

Here is the latest review on AS from Cinema online, Malaysia.

http://www.jaffa.com.my/movie/movie.asp?search=aprilsnow

Friday 28th October

April Snow (korean)

Classification: U

Genre:

Drama

Running Time

1 Hour 45 Minutes

General Release:

27 October 2005

Distributed by:

United International Pictures

Starring:

Bae Yong-Joon

Son Ye-Jin

Ryu Seung-su

Lim Sang-hyo

Director:

Hur Jin-Ho

Synopsis:

In-soo (played by Bae Yong-joon) rushes to Samcheok upon learning that his wife Su-jin (played by Lim Sang-hyo), who was on a business trip, has been in a car accident. There he finds Su-jin who is still unconscious in the hospital in an unfamiliar provincial town. In the process of dealing with the aftermath of the accident, he finds out that Su-jin was in the car with a man named Gyeong-ho (played by Ryu Seung-su), who is also unconscious and lingering between life and death. The injured man’s wife, Seo-young (played by Son Ye-jin), also rushed to Samcheok upon hearing the news. In-soo and Seo-young both feel angered and betrayed when they learn of the relationship between Su-jin and Gyeong-ho. As they nurse the spouses they had trusted, In-soo and Seo-young feel a chemistry developing between them. How will their tender, yet sad love unfold in the unfamiliar town of Samcheok?

Give us your rating: [ click here ]

Review by Sharon Chu

Star Ratings:

Overall 2 stars

Cast 2 stars

Plot 1.5 stars

Effects 2 stars

Cinematography 3 stars

Watch this if you liked: “Sleeping With The Enemy”

Click here for pictures

The promising “April Snow” turns out to be a catastrophe. In the beginning, things look quite promising, but later the slow movie simply breeds boredom. Everybody loves a scandal, yet this Korean movie about betrayal is incredulously poor at keeping one’s interest focused on the tale of big lies.

In-Soo (played by Bae Yong-Joon), has just discovered that his wife is the victim of a brutal car accident. By coincidence, he meets a young woman, Seo-Young (played by Son Ye-Jin) whose husband was involved in the same car accident as In-Soo’s wife.

Later, both discover that their spouses actually know each other - in fact, they’ve been very naughty. In-Soo and Seo-Young decide to get even with their cheating spouses. Beyond both their expectations, In-Soo and Seo Young fall in love despite just having a casual affair at first.

Instead of feeling mellow, I’m instead indifferent at the end of watching “April Snow”. One can walk out of the cinema for a bit and return to find that he or she has not missed anything important at all. The story’s a bit dodgy. While you may expect a solid film, “April Snow” is pretty colourless and dull.

On the big screen, the bespectacled Bae Yong-Joon is nothing out of the ordinary. Sadly, both his acting and his movie is just BAD news. The chemistry between Bae and his leading lady Son Ye-Jin is lukewarm as the pair doesn’t appear to be lovey-dovey at all.

The only thing that I remember being impressed about in this movie is the sorrowful piano tunes as the symphony brings more warmth to “April Snow” than Bae and Son’s chilling chemistry. Although it is hard to face the painful truth, hardly anything in “April Snow” is worth keeping.

In a few words, “April Snow” is blunder made for tears of regret over two hours wasted rather than tears of being moved by a touching drama.

[Trans] BYJ, First to be Featured in Photo Docu

Original in Korean: Money Today / Star News 2005/10/26

Translated into Chinese: Whuei / www.loveyongjoon.com

Translated into English: Happiebb / www.joonsfamily.com

BYJ – The First to be Featured in New KBS Program ‘Photo Documentary’

Bae Yong Joon has become the first person to be featured

in the new KBS [Korean Broadcasting Station] program “Photo Documentary”.

“Photo Documentary” by KBS1 will launch on 1st November.

Through photographs of celebrities and stars taken by photographers,

the program aims to show their true selves from various angles through a photo-file documentary.

In the first episode, Bae Yong Joon’s photographs and his life

will be decoded in a lively and humane way

with the help of structured subtitles in the program.

Also, through interviewing Bae Yong Joon’s co-workers, friends, neighbours

and other people around or close to him,

the program will review and reveal the true selves of superstars in the real world.

In addition, the program will also use photographs and music

to create a music video format to show the audience the shops Bae Yong Joon frequents,

as well as show us his interests and hobbies.

Through this, the program hopes to show everyone his true self in real life.

The section head of KBS Educational News Unit,

Jiang-Xing-Zhe said, “After Bae Yong Joon,

we plan for Jang Dong Gun to be the second celebrity to be featured,

followed by Rain, Jeon Do Yeon and other top grade stars.”

He expressed high expectations in the program by saying

“We hope this will be a program that can sell not just the first round,

we hope to market the second and subsequent episodes too.”

The section head of KBS Editing & Planning Unit, Ji-Huan-Ying also said,

“The test broadcast for the first episode has been completed.

It’s the best quality video creation in Korea

and a recording that’s elegant and classy through the special computer treatment;

it’s something worth waiting for.”

Morning guys,

Here is the latest review on AS from Cinema online, Malaysia.

http://www.jaffa.com.my/movie/movie.asp?search=aprilsnow

Friday 28th October

April Snow (korean)

Classification: U

Genre:

Drama

Running Time

1 Hour 45 Minutes

General Release:

27 October 2005

Distributed by:

United International Pictures

Starring:

Bae Yong-Joon

Son Ye-Jin

Ryu Seung-su

Lim Sang-hyo

Director:

Hur Jin-Ho

Synopsis:

In-soo (played by Bae Yong-joon) rushes to Samcheok upon learning that his wife Su-jin (played by Lim Sang-hyo), who was on a business trip, has been in a car accident. There he finds Su-jin who is still unconscious in the hospital in an unfamiliar provincial town. In the process of dealing with the aftermath of the accident, he finds out that Su-jin was in the car with a man named Gyeong-ho (played by Ryu Seung-su), who is also unconscious and lingering between life and death. The injured man’s wife, Seo-young (played by Son Ye-jin), also rushed to Samcheok upon hearing the news. In-soo and Seo-young both feel angered and betrayed when they learn of the relationship between Su-jin and Gyeong-ho. As they nurse the spouses they had trusted, In-soo and Seo-young feel a chemistry developing between them. How will their tender, yet sad love unfold in the unfamiliar town of Samcheok?

Give us your rating: [ click here ]

Review by Sharon Chu

Star Ratings:

Overall 2 stars

Cast 2 stars

Plot 1.5 stars

Effects 2 stars

Cinematography 3 stars

Watch this if you liked: “Sleeping With The Enemy”

Click here for pictures

The promising “April Snow” turns out to be a catastrophe. In the beginning, things look quite promising, but later the slow movie simply breeds boredom. Everybody loves a scandal, yet this Korean movie about betrayal is incredulously poor at keeping one’s interest focused on the tale of big lies.

In-Soo (played by Bae Yong-Joon), has just discovered that his wife is the victim of a brutal car accident. By coincidence, he meets a young woman, Seo-Young (played by Son Ye-Jin) whose husband was involved in the same car accident as In-Soo’s wife.

Later, both discover that their spouses actually know each other - in fact, they’ve been very naughty. In-Soo and Seo-Young decide to get even with their cheating spouses. Beyond both their expectations, In-Soo and Seo Young fall in love despite just having a casual affair at first.

Instead of feeling mellow, I’m instead indifferent at the end of watching “April Snow”. One can walk out of the cinema for a bit and return to find that he or she has not missed anything important at all. The story’s a bit dodgy. While you may expect a solid film, “April Snow” is pretty colourless and dull.

On the big screen, the bespectacled Bae Yong-Joon is nothing out of the ordinary. Sadly, both his acting and his movie is just BAD news. The chemistry between Bae and his leading lady Son Ye-Jin is lukewarm as the pair doesn’t appear to be lovey-dovey at all.

The only thing that I remember being impressed about in this movie is the sorrowful piano tunes as the symphony brings more warmth to “April Snow” than Bae and Son’s chilling chemistry. Although it is hard to face the painful truth, hardly anything in “April Snow” is worth keeping.

In a few words, “April Snow” is blunder made for tears of regret over two hours wasted rather than tears of being moved by a touching drama.

Gosh...! :angry::angry: another tiny taugeh who is following the footstep of her neighbour???? another person who doesn't use her heart to watch this movie.....

Guest frances

Ah...interesting...getting excited about the results...he he

yup, just like you, we're also interested what comes next ;)

Gosh...! :angry::angry: another tiny taugeh who is following the footstep of her neighbour???? another person who doesn't use her heart to watch this movie.....

hey yon, this must really be the case -

* if you were able to appreciate the story & overall production value, the film is beautiful, just like what the north american critics say, " the acting & chemistry is impeccable & the story line is flawless".

* but for those who did not get it or simply did not like the flow of the film, this is the kind of comments that AS gets.

Doe he know to play the piano?

Thanks for sharing all the news about BYJ.

Hi willenette and good morning! Yes Yong Joon plays the piano. He studied when he was kid. We could have heard him play during the Saitama Super Arena April Snow Reunion but he wasn't able to practice.

Maybe soon we will be hearing him play that piano as well as the guitar. :)

yup, just like you, we're also interested what comes next ;)

hey yon, this must really be the case -

* if you were able to appreciate the story & overall production value, the film is beautiful, just like what the north american critics say, " the acting & chemistry is impeccable & the story line is flawless".

* but for those who did not get it or simply did not like the flow of the film, this is the kind of comments that AS gets.

critics are watching it for the sake of their job only..

sometimes i wonder if reporters can be movie critics when they have their preferences too....

Should movies be review by actors/actresses? producers? directors? since they are the ones who will have acted/directed in all kinds of movies......

And i really hate critics who do not do their homework or read on interviews and articles of the movie/director/actors/actresses...as their interviews always reveal some of the answers that the critics have in their mind.....

It's like complaining and not finding out the answers to their questions....

Guest frances

critics are watching it for the sake of their job only..

sometimes i wonder if reporters can be movie critics when they have their preferences too....

Should movies be review by actors/actresses? producers? directors? since they are the ones who will have acted/directed in all kinds of movies......

And i really hate critics who do not do their homework or read on interviews and articles of the movie/director/actors/actresses...as their interviews always reveal some of the answers that the critics have in their mind.....

It's like complaining and not finding out the answers to their questions....

film review is subjective as it is & add to that, reporters pretend as "critics" & for whatever agenda or reason they have, they seem to love to critique a film to the point of "killing" it & dissuading the public in seeing the film for themselves.

i'm ok w/ negative reviews as long as its presented in an intelligent & respectful manner but sadly, there are more of the slam & kick in the butt tabloid kind of review w/c unfortunately is also being patronised by some of the reading public.