Study Abroad In Korea?

little mixed girl

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hello_se7en

hmm i wonder when it's better to go, in the winter or summer? well it doesnt really matter to me. but i was just asking.

Guest junjinie

i have some questions >.<

1. are there going to be a tourist when i get off the airplane?

2. how much do the dorm cost?

3. is it easy to find part-time jobs around/near the campus? do they require us to know fluent korean or a specific age to have the job?

4. can we share the dorm with our sister?

5. do they allow high school [not graduate yet] students to enroll?

6. if we want to join the buddy program, do we have to pay for the membership?

7. do they require us to be in the dorm at a specific time?

8. if we want to join the dance classes at Nana Dance Academy, do we have to pay for the fees? if so, then how much?

9. if we are non-korean and dont know any korean and want to attend to Yonsei in the summer, is that a bad choice? im not korean but i really wants to go....

10. if we need help, is there anyone who understand fluent Engish to help us? (like the teachers)

11. will CD players/cellphones/laptops from USA work in korea?

12. about how many US dollars should we bring to Korea to use during the 3 months of summer school?

may i have the website??? thanks!!! ^_^ ^_^ i'll ask more questions if i think of some in the future... thank you!

Guest junjinie

Yonsei International Division

along with littlemixedgirl.....myself and chrissejin have also done either the summer or full year at yonsei.

i went from 2000-2001, it was fun. met tons of people from around the world and have a great time.

why when i clicked on the website it took forever to load and once it loaded a few parts of the webpage, the web automatically go to msn page? :blink:

Guest MPowerKai

I want to study abroad in Korea but I hate dorming even now I have an apartment by myself instead of a dorm. My dad told me to go study abroad in Hong Kong instead

1. are there going to be a tourist when i get off the airplane?

2. how much do the dorm cost?

3. is it easy to find part-time jobs around/near the campus? do they require us to know fluent korean or a specific age to have the job?

4. can we share the dorm with our sister?

5. do they allow high school [not graduate yet] students to enroll?

6. if we want to join the buddy program, do we have to pay for the membership?

7. do they require us to be in the dorm at a specific time?

8. if we want to join the dance classes at Nana Dance Academy, do we have to pay for the fees? if so, then how much?

9. if we are non-korean and dont know any korean and want to attend to Yonsei in the summer, is that a bad choice? im not korean but i really wants to go....

10. if we need help, is there anyone who understand fluent Engish to help us? (like the teachers)

11. will CD players/cellphones/laptops from USA work in korea?

12. about how many US dollars should we bring to Korea to use during the 3 months of summer school?

may i have the website??? thanks!!! ^_^ ^_^ i'll ask more questions if i think of some in the future... thank you!

1. ?? i don't really understand what you mean here....

2. the dorm is like $500-$600 i think. they tell you when u apply.

3. you MUST have a work visa to work in korea. do NOT listen to what korean-americans tell you about getting illegal tutoring jobs. while a lotta ppl do it, some ppl DO get caught and if you're caught you get DEPORTED.

4. if your sister is going on the program with you, you could request to share a room with her. But non-students are NOT allowed to spend the night in the dorm.

5. you have to be a university student to do the program.

6. you don't have to pay to be in the buddy program.

7. the KLI preogram has a curfew of 12am, the DIEE program has no curfew.

8. i dunno anything about any nana dance place...

9. of course you can go during the summer, but ppl that are not korean-AMERICAN will probably feel excluded.

10. all the teachers/DIEE staff can speak english.

11. cd players, laptops will work. if you want to use a cellphone, it's best that you buy a 'card phone'.

12. i used the money from my financial aid (about $1,000USD). some ppl bring more, korean-americans mostly leech off their relatives...

Guest hello_se7en

just wondering. i go to a community college right now and if i wanted to go to korea after i finish everything, do i still count as a university student?

also, what are the requirements to get accepted? i went to the website and found out and everything but since you've been there before, i was wondering how the system works and if it's actually hard to get in...

like do they look at your GPA or something? or does it depend on what school you go to? i was going to try for either yonsei or goryo(korea university).

Guest Muddie Murda

Thanks for this thread.

My bestfriend wants to go to Korea for a semester or year and she wants me to go with her. Err...But I want to go to Thailand. >_< I'm still thinking about it.

:D But I'll tell her about this thread.

Thanks alot.

Guest heineken.

wow sounds like a nightmare ~_~ I've always wanted to go to Korea because my friends who have gone, came back with good things to say.

Koreans are extremely nationalistic though o_o my parents don't like my bf because he's Chinese

wow sounds like a nightmare ~_~ I've always wanted to go to Korea because my friends who have gone, came back with good things to say.

Koreans are extremely nationalistic though o_o my parents don't like my bf because he's Chinese

like i said, it's like a whole different experience for korean-americans vs. non-korean-americans.

if your friends were korean-american, then they were probably hanging out with other korean-americans... (which is what i found annoying, not that ppl have a requirement to hang out with non-koreans, but don't invite all krns in your krn class to go drinking and say nothing to the non-krns... -_- )

the ppl of korea tho, they seemed pretty chill to me.

but...i dunno maybe i meet atypical ppl?

I took classes at nana's in 03 went I went to Yonsei it's about 100,000 won (less than $90 US) for a month

I went this summer and I had the best time ever! One of the best summers I ever had and the classes are very easy! Also, I've become really good friends with the people I met there... see some almost every week!

yonsei continued

if you didn't know, in korea you're not supposed to flush your toilet paper down the toilet.

instead you ball it up and throw it into a little trash bin next to the toilet.

yes, i was freaked out by it also.

if you are uncomfortable with that (like me) then what i suggest is that you strategically use the tp and flush often.

if you pull off 1/2 a roll to wipe your azz and throw it all in the toilet, it's gonna clog up a korean toilet.

the toilets can handle tp, just not a massive ammount (hence flush often).

and while ppl don't want to hear about it, your richard simmons...aka ddong is probably going to clog up the toilet at some point.

some suggestions:

-just clog up the toilet like you don't care (enough ppl do this).

-ration the poo. only let out so much at a time, and flush often.

-poo in a plastic bag and throw the bag in the garbage.

-don't poo for however long u are in the program.

-poo in the woods.

diahreaa(sp) of course, will always easily go down.

girls, when you are you know *cough*.... :mellow:

...and you obviously don't want to toss that in the trash can, you don't have to.

like i said, strategic use and flush often.

this is all thrown out the door if you use a squat toilet though...cuz you just can't put tp in there...

lucky for you, there are no squat toilets in the dorms.

the showers....hmm....

there's basically a plastic curtain that you slide open to get to the shower part of the bathroom.

there's a little area where you can put your towel or clothes or whatever...but if a lotta ppl are using the shower there's not much room to put anything.

except for the wet floor...

there are individual shower stalls that are divided by frosted glass (meaning that you shouldn't press your azz up against the glass lest someone gets a glance) and you can see the person next to you.

can't see them clearly enough to see their nono areas...but yeah...

there's no shower door, but again, that plastic curtain.

so...you'll have to find the best way to close it off.

there's like, 1 drain for the whole shower, so...girls expecially beware of your hair.

mmm....more to come later.

I saw the signs about not flushing toilet paper, but I think the Korean translation implied something else... so I ignored it.

Yeah, I still keep in touch with her. We live in approximate distance to each other so we see each other pretty often. At least once a year. And our colleges are huggeeeee rivals when it comes to footballs, so we try to make each other's games.

One other thing I found inconvenient in Korea was the lack of tampons. I don't know if this has been fixed since 2003, but it was like hell trying to find tampons.

Tampons are everywhere now... but their pads are so light! I went through like seven packs during each period. =/

I went this summer and I had the best time ever! One of the best summers I ever had and the classes are very easy! Also, I've become really good friends with the people I met there... see some almost every week!

I saw the signs about not flushing toilet paper, but I think the Korean translation implied something else... so I ignored it.

Tampons are everywhere now... but their pads are so light! I went through like seven packs during each period. =/

i made some good friends there.

but omg, when i went in 2003.... :rolleyes:

the girls from my university wouldn't even say 'hi' to me when passing me on the street.

there's a lotta friggin stuck up chicks that go during the summer and it can be hard to find nice ones -_-

my friend is into tampons too.

she was trying to buy her fav kind before heading to korea.

i dun use them so...

+ i brought my own stuff ;)