[Current Japanese Drama 2015] The Emperor's Cook/Tenno no Ryoriban 天皇の料理番

thitu

Guest hiranade

seems it'strue @pechumori, I must prepare my heart :'(

cause afterall this  story based real life we can't do anything with script.

Btw, the rating rise up

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@pechumori, @hiranade, I am sad. What's about Toshiko then? Will she marry somebody else based on the new character chart? There is a mysterious man that connected to her in the chart???

​OMG i feel so sad about this too.. *sits in a corner with you*

last night i checked, no new subbed eps... T.T

@hiranade, according to the news about the real Tokuzo Akiyama which I posted in the thread earlier, the curator of the museum in his hometown said, the novel is based on Tokuzo's life, but there are differences between what happened in reality as compared with the novel.

Yeah, the ratings have increased...hope it continues to do so.

t2035.gif

@thitu, yes, there was a silhouette of a man in the relationship chart. Maybe it will be the guy that Toshiko's father would choose...I just don't know if Toshiko would choose to marry him or wait for Tokuzo to return...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWtI6-2qxI69dYqKGrVhHHoFSkB5hNOOfYUXP7w44MNUjEGog

@bakachin, I have been checking the subs daily...still no subs for ep 6....

b0415.gif

tumblr_npo3pnK7eD1u0s9l5o1_500.png

tumblr_npo3pnK7eD1u0s9l5o2_500.jpg

"Emperor's Cook" fan art by Ray
Tokuzo feeds the cat

@bakachin, yeah he loves cats.

You can watch Ep. 7 from this link...no subs yet

http://www.dramatv.tv/watch-drama/tennou-no-ryouriban-ep-7-english-sub.html

The Original Soundtrack album of the TBS TV 60th anniversary Sunday special drama series "Tenno No Ryoriban" aka "Emperor's cook" will be released.

tumblr_npogvfXDvK1u0s9l5o1_400.jpg

Release Date: June 10, 2015 (Wed)
Label: Anchor Records
Catalogue No: UZCL-2071
Price: 2,500 yen + tax

credit: http://haketa.jp/schedule/create/114/
photo credit: vitamin takeru

tumblr_npof97R4LY1s0d0yno1_500.png

tumblr_npof97R4LY1s0d0yno2_500.png

Tenno no Ryoriban Shooting Report

June 9th, 2015 (Tuesday)

~translation~

Crawfish Appeared

A variety of incidents were so condensed in the seventh episode ‘Paris Arc’ that you might have thought, ‘Was it rally an hour long?’
Among them, the most impressive was … Crawfish Eating Contest, wasn’t it?

Are crawfish good to eat? You may think so, but crawfish will be a very important character … (material?) later.

Crawfish cuisine is unfamiliar to us Japanese,
and in the actual shooting site, all the staff showed absorbing interest in unfamiliar crawfish cuisine.
They got a cooking instructor, a staff in Hattori Nutrition College, to give a crawfish and tasted it gingerly, saying, ‘It tastes like ordinary shrimp …’
What they ate in this eating contest was French crawfish.
To rid the crawfish of its smell, they were boiled in water with vegetable, wine, and a lot of salt, so they are salty and just good to eat plain.

Those who worked as extras were not only French but people from many different countries, and unexpectedly, many of them ate crawfish for the first time.
In France it is really a popular dish. The extras from France were the first to show how to eat it, saying, ‘It’s delicious just like a lobster!’ and it made us smile.

On the other hand, the two were eating because it was played for money.
Just like the potatoes in the last shooting report, Francoise mumbled crawfish in this scene. Takeru-san anxiously observed her shoving crawfish into her mouth.
Don’t worry. Even Director expressed surprise at the way she was eating.
‘Francy is biting off the shell *surprise*! You can leave the tail on your plate … I bet …’
‘I’m an eat-a-fried-shrimp-with-its-tail type of person ~.’

So the shooting went on with smiles.

Takeru-san filled his mouth with crawfish not to be outdone by her!
Cooking is difficult … but eating is also hard, you know.

credit: stephany-310.tumblr.com

Guest hiranade

@hiranade, according to the news about the real Tokuzo Akiyama which I posted in the thread earlier, the curator of the museum in his hometown said, the novel is based on Tokuzo's life, but there are differences between what happened in reality as compared with the novel.

Yeah, the ratings have increased...hope it continues to do so.

t2035.gif

@thitu, yes, there was a silhouette of a man in the relationship chart. Maybe it will be the guy that Toshiko's father would choose...I just don't know if Toshiko would choose to marry him or wait for Tokuzo to return...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWtI6-2qxI69dYqKGrVhHHoFSkB5hNOOfYUXP7w44MNUjEGog

@bakachin, I have been checking the subs daily...still no subs for ep 6....

b0415.gif

"Emperor's Cook" fan art by Ray
Tokuzo feeds the cat

​Yep @pechumori , it's based the real life of Tokuzo, maybe the scriptwriter edit his story of life for drama sake. But I still little shock with the line he like other woman, if it isn't Sato maybe will drop this story for awhile @bakachin and @thitu maybe in other side this drama is good cause make its viewer feeling different side of emotion but...but... :D

For us who can't understand what happened in Ep. 7, here's an explanation from stephany-310

:Q: Stephany-310, did Toshiko get married? On the scene where she’s reading Tokuzo’s letter again, there a baby. Is that her baby? :)i can’t wait for the English subs :) also, did the chef give him a certificate so Tokuzo can go to Hotel Ritz? What was Awano’ speech about? Sorry for my questions as I really want to relate in the drama. But without the english subs, I can’t understand.

A:  Yes, Toshiko married an old man, who runs a large business. He wanted a young wife because he wanted to have babies and they got one.
Tokuzo was the first Japanese to join the union of cooks in France. Without the certificate, he couldn’t get a pay raise. In those days people from the East were discriminated because of their skin color. So it impossible for him to get the certificate at first. When the grand chef of Hotel Majestic visited Awano, his purpose was to stop Tokuzo from leaving his kitchen, but Awano persuaded him to let Tokuzo join the Union insisting that France should be a nation of liberty and Revolution.

Now it all makes sense....Tokuzo can't be blamed if he fell for another girl.

tumblr_npqb7a2Pf91s0d0yno1_500.png

June 10th, 2015 (Wednesday)

~translation~

Another Araki-san in Paris!?

Holding a dream, Tokuzo-san went to Paris.
There was not only a dream there.
When he got the chef’s knife, which had been given by Usami-san, broken,
Tokuzo-san behaved recklessly … again.

The scene where he pushed Albert down was taken with great care, after they rehearsed elaborately.
This time, the four, including not only Director but camera crew who would take this scene and Albert, checked the motion.

‘Tokuzo-san, how wildly could you jump on top of Albert?’ asked the staff.
‘I could do it in whatever way! But I’ afraid it will be dangerous to falling Albert …
so it may be better if he lands on his hands first before he falls down,’ said Tokuzo-san.
‘It’s all right! Falling strait to the ground is more realistic, isn’t it?’ replied Albert, and they decided to have a crack at it.

During the rehearsal, a mat was spread out on the floor, but it hurt when he got pushed down again and again as might be expected. *cry*
Each time, Tokuzo-san reached out to Albert and helped him get up.

In addition, in the actual shooting, the mat was taken away, so in order to avoid reshooting they checked more closely than ever before the actual shooting; at which angle the cameras were shooting … how they would move …

tumblr_nps3chFkbG1s0d0yno1_500.png

June 11th, 2015 (Thursday)

~translation~

Tokuzo-san’s Best Partner?

The most important item in this drama, which is Tokuzo-san’s best partner in a sense,
is … kitchen a kitchen knife, and it’s not too much to say that there is no episode without it.

We asked a professional knife maker in Osaka established in 1805 (Bunkyu 2) to make the kitchen knives used in the drama.
For Usami-san’s chef’s knife we asked them to prepare steel as true to the real steel in those days as possible within a time limit.

All the knives used in the studio were made of steel just like those at that time.
Steel is sensitive to acid and if you leave onions as they are after cutting them, they turn brown because of the lye. Of course knives also turn a terrible color.

Cooking instructors asked the casts to be sure to wipe the knife with a wet cloth, we heard.

Moreover, the kitchen knives that appeared in the scenes in France were the ones used in those years, which had been prepared by the art staffs at some antique shops in France.
So far, all the cast including Tokuzo-san, who appeared in the cooking scenes at Kazoku-kaikan, British Legation, Hotel Majestic, and so on … 
had never failed to be trained at Hattori Nutrition College where the cooking instructors belong.

So when Director gave OK to the actual shooting, vegetables had already been cut neatly, meat had been whipped with a string well … their hand motion was perfect!

They were using the knives that actually cut well, so here and there, the cast were constantly covered in cuts and grazes.
But they couldn’t put adhesive tapes historically, so their wounds were treated with liquid bandage so that they won’t be visible …

tumblr_nps3q7MkSx1s0d0yno1_540.jpg

*continured from <2>*

~translation~

+act. Magazine

Sato Takeru – Long Interview<3>

-As for the ‘choice’, which case happens oftener, choice between the two or among about ten different options?

Among ten different options. Rather than this or that, (describing a semicircle like a tachometer with his hands) I have an image that we choose the position in this amplitude. Of course sometimes we choose whether to feel delight or sorrow though. But if we choose to feel delight, how much? It’s another choice. We have such cases oftener.

-I got it clearly by your description using meter-like thing. You mean acting changes not by the choice between A or B, but by the delicate combination of the choices, right? By the way, you said in the ‘+act mini’, ‘The theme this time is to abandon myself’, didn’t you?

Fufufu…

-Hey! Was it a sales talk?

Sales talk. (lol) Those words came out at the shooing site when we acted the pouty mouth in the first episode. So it was my theme for just that time.

-I see. (lol) But do you have the feeling that you try to abandon yourself, as if to make Sato Takeru disappear completely?

Not particularly.

-Does it mean that you disappear naturally in becoming the character?

Yup.

-But isn’t it Sato Takeru that makes the choice?

No, it is not necessarily the case. Of course, in the first place, I make a choice, but Director sometimes say, ‘This would be better’, or ‘You had better make it a little easier to understand’. So you can say that, for actors, those who make a choice for them are very important. Actors are all tactful, so they can do almost anything if they are told to do it, I think. Meanwhile those who give instructions about what is the right choice or the sophisticated choice are valuable, especially in case of dramas. But it is, so to speak, a matter of taste. Some people like exaggerated expressions and others like simple expressions. There is no right answer. Since there is no right answer, I hope to work with someone whose sense I think I can trust.

-How long have you been aware of ‘choice’?

I wonder how long … but for quite a long time, I suppose. Many people say some actor’s performance is good or bad, but when, especially, their opinion is a negative one, I sometimes feel they could probably have done better if the director had directed him/her how to do it.

-You actors leave most of what is accepted as so-called impression to others, I think.

So I can do nothing by myself, especially in case of dramas. As for films, there is some possibility to brute-force your way. But dramas necessarily have more camera blocks, which means that we have to make more choices for each performance in the cut. Well, but there are a variety of ways and whatever way you take, it’s OK if the result is good. In short, the way we’ve been taking in ‘Tenno no Ryoriban’ now is like what I told you. ‘Ryoma-den’ is also a drama but we made it in a totally different way.

-To hear that, I think actors have to be flexible.

I said dramas are completely different from films, but even in the case of films, the method is different from film to film. As I often say, people say ‘actor’ is one kind of job but we’re doing such different things that you could even call our job by different names, I think.

-Since you have so many different ways, would you like to experience as many different ways as possible?

Well, I have a preference, of course, though.

-What is your preference?

I won’t tell you. (lol)

-Then if you could choose only your favorite way perfectly, would you like to do it forever?

Ah … but at the same time, the project is important, I think, so even if I don’t like their way, if the project is a good one, I’ll do it.

-What factors attract you as a project?

It depends on my feeling; whether I think it good or not.

-Isn’t it that you want to try something you’ve never done before?

Something I’ve never done will naturally attract me. I want to do what I’ve never done before than what I’ve done before.

-Why?

Because human beings are easily bored, you know. Everybody is so. Human beings cannot keep doing the same thing forever, I think.

-Meanwhile, isn’t it scary to try something new?

Well, yes.

-Especially in the case of the job like this, one failure … I don’t know if it’s right to call it a failure, though … if people consider it a failure … would have a great influence, right?

Therefore, I make as much effort as possible so that I won’t fail. I won’t always choose to do something just because I’ve never done it before.

-Evaluation of a work should be comprehensive, but it is inevitable that it is attributed to actors for the most part, right?

That’s our job. (lol) But it naturally gets exciting, when it is an interesting project. An intriguing scenario or what I find exciting motivates me automatically.

-Does it happen that even if you start something feeling so, it turns out different from what you have expected?

Of course it happens. It’s impossible to tell ahead of time how it will turn out. But I’m trying to be careful to avoid it.

-You mean you won’t jump at the chance unless you can start to run with trust?

Right. It’s difficult to start to run with groundless trust.

-But even if you jump at a chance with trust, you can’t necessarily keep your motivation high. It can be discouraging simply to lack sleep, or to be exhausted … at least in my case (lol).

(lol) It happens to anyone. Only human.

-But in your case as an actor, if you don’t keep your motivation at a certain level, it will all come out, you know.

That’s right. It’s the most important thing, right? I remember I told you when talking about Kenshin, staying motivated is the most important … or the hardest rather than the most important.

-When we read it transcribed, we’re apt to read on without pause, just thinking, ‘Well, I know.’

Yup, so please write ‘It is really hard’. (lol) Really.

-Knowing that you’re working really hard to stay motivated, when I see you, you appear to have a stout heart like iron to me.

Fufufufu.

-You don’t show others, ‘I’m working frantically!’

That’s true.

-But you think you have something like soft and limp tofu in you, not like iron … right?

Yes, of course. (lol) Often.

-What do you with it?

When I get limp? Eat meals with my friends. (lol)

-Do you spit venom eating meals?

I do, I do. (lol) Definitely. Otherwise … it is a necessary skill to stay motivated, so to speak. It is impossible without doing so.

*to be continued*

June 12th, 2015 (Friday)

~translation=

Shintaro-san again in Paris …

Tokuzo-san ran into Shintaro-san again in Paris unexpectedly.
The relationship between Shintaro-san and Kayano-san, who enabled him to come to Paris, was something ambiguous that only two of them could understand,
but there was certainly love between them.

You are likely to think that a long-period location abroad is good for a change … but the schedule is tough at any rate.
During the rest for a brief while, Producer Ishimaru and Shintaro-san were having a boy talk against beautiful scenery in Paris.

tumblr_nptwku3vrn1s0d0yno1_500.png

On the other hand, Shintaro-san showed us an extraordinary action where he saw Tokuzo-san again.
While they were doing rehearsal, he jumped out watching Tokuzo-san’s face.
But Takeru-san couldn’t help laughing many times … because their eyes met inevitably … (lol)

tumblr_nptwku3vrn1s0d0yno2_500.png

‘It’s no good once I see your face! Please jump looking at the opposite side ~ (lol)’
‘Why? Why on earth ~? (lol)’

They were good friend in Paris as usual^^

Guest hiranade

For us who can't understand what happened in Ep. 7, here's an explanation from stephany-310

:Q: Stephany-310, did Toshiko get married? On the scene where she’s reading Tokuzo’s letter again, there a baby. Is that her baby? :)i can’t wait for the English subs :) also, did the chef give him a certificate so Tokuzo can go to Hotel Ritz? What was Awano’ speech about? Sorry for my questions as I really want to relate in the drama. But without the english subs, I can’t understand.

A:  Yes, Toshiko married an old man, who runs a large business. He wanted a young wife because he wanted to have babies and they got one.
Tokuzo was the first Japanese to join the union of cooks in France. Without the certificate, he couldn’t get a pay raise. In those days people from the East were discriminated because of their skin color. So it impossible for him to get the certificate at first. When the grand chef of Hotel Majestic visited Awano, his purpose was to stop Tokuzo from leaving his kitchen, but Awano persuaded him to let Tokuzo join the Union insisting that France should be a nation of liberty and Revolution.

Now it all makes sense....Tokuzo can't be blamed if he fell for another girl.

​yeah, its makes sense now..... :'(

still hope in the end they have happy ending

Guest hiranade

June 12th, 2015 (Friday)

~translation=

Shintaro-san again in Paris …

Tokuzo-san ran into Shintaro-san again in Paris unexpectedly.
The relationship between Shintaro-san and Kayano-san, who enabled him to come to Paris, was something ambiguous that only two of them could understand,
but there was certainly love between them.

You are likely to think that a long-period location abroad is good for a change … but the schedule is tough at any rate.
During the rest for a brief while, Producer Ishimaru and Shintaro-san were having a boy talk against beautiful scenery in Paris.

On the other hand, Shintaro-san showed us an extraordinary action where he saw Tokuzo-san again.
While they were doing rehearsal, he jumped out watching Tokuzo-san’s face.
But Takeru-san couldn’t help laughing many times … because their eyes met inevitably … (lol)

‘It’s no good once I see your face! Please jump looking at the opposite side ~ (lol)’
‘Why? Why on earth ~? (lol)’

They were good friend in Paris as usual^^

​it's so funny @pechumori :D

another bromance "Sato-Kiritani", interesting

Yeah, @hiranade, the Takeru and Kiritani bromance (and they will be seen together again in his upcoming movie, Bakuman)

I read the wikipedia page of Tokuzo Akiyama (but it's in Japanese, so I just used Google trans to understand it), things will get pretty exciting when he goes back to Japan.  :D

June 13th, 2015 (Saturday)

~translation~

Tokuzo Runs!

The seventh and eighth episodes of ‘Tenno no Ryoriban’ were taken in Paris.

The scenery that shows Paris-ness was flooding from the screen, right?

tumblr_npvulc5AvE1s0d0yno1_500.png

After the eighth episode, here, Yamada sensei, who is in charge of the historic authenticity, will tell you about the scenery in Paris in the days when Tokuzo-san went there ,
so please look forward to it, too!

tumblr_npvulc5AvE1s0d0yno2_r1_500.png

As Takeru-san told us in the interview,
in the location in Paris, he often ran!
The road there is straight and longer than Japan, and on top of that, it is a cobblestone lane.
He made an honest confession, saying, ‘Please say “Cut!” soon~ *cry*’ .
You can see his running scene in the eighth episode, too, so please don’t miss it ~^^

Archived