Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

Ji Chang Wook is a Romantic Lover for Stylus and Confirms Casting in Chinese-Korean Drama My Male God

by ockoala (koalasplayground)

sund3.jpg

I wonder what Ji Chang Wook fans think about this upcoming casting news? From a career progression perspective, I think it’s a smart move as long as he’s vetted the production and script as going into China would be a logical next step for him. Ji Chang Wook is apparently confirmed for upcoming Korean-Chinese joint produced drama My Male God. I hate the title but what else is new when it comes to silly rom-com nomenclatures. It’s going to be filmed in Korea and China and air in early 2016 on Hunan TV, with the only news available at this point being Ji Chang Wook’s casting and word that the female lead will be a top Chinese drama actress. If it’s Tang Yan imma toss a table, but if ends up being Zhao Li Ying it totally might work. Even if the drama is silly, the C-audiences are more amenable to lightweight fare not to mention Ji Chang Wook needs to build upon his high with Empress Ki and Healer to leave on a high note with his international fans. The drama is set to start filming in October, but Ji Chang Wook fans may get some solace with his just released CF pictorial for jewelry brand Stylus as he transforms into the perfect romantic loverboy.

to read more:

http://koalasplayground.com/2015/10/01/ji-chang-wook-is-a-romantic-lover-for-stylus-and-confirms-casting-in-chinese-korean-drama-my-male-god/

• Like 7

Ji Chang Wook is a Romantic Lover for Stylus and Confirms Casting in Chinese-Korean Drama My Male God

by ockoala (koalasplayground)

I wonder what Ji Chang Wook fans think about this upcoming casting news? From a career progression perspective, I think it’s a smart move as long as he’s vetted the production and script as going into China would be a logical next step for him. Ji Chang Wook is apparently confirmed for upcoming Korean-Chinese joint produced drama My Male God. I hate the title but what else is new when it comes to silly rom-com nomenclatures. It’s going to be filmed in Korea and China and air in early 2016 on Hunan TV, with the only news available at this point being Ji Chang Wook’s casting and word that the female lead will be a top Chinese drama actress. If it’s Tang Yan imma toss a table, but if ends up being Zhao Li Ying it totally might work. Even if the drama is silly, the C-audiences are more amenable to lightweight fare not to mention Ji Chang Wook needs to build upon his high with Empress Ki and Healer to leave on a high note with his international fans. The drama is set to start filming in October, but Ji Chang Wook fans may get some solace with his just released CF pictorial for jewelry brand Stylus as he transforms into the perfect romantic loverboy.

to read more:

http://koalasplayground.com/2015/10/01/ji-chang-wook-is-a-romantic-lover-for-stylus-and-confirms-casting-in-chinese-korean-drama-my-male-god/

Hi nevill, thanks for sharing this. There are also two reasons why Korean stars appear in Chinese production. The pay is higher in China than it is in Korea and they know that they Chinese Market will soon lead to the international market. They get paid about twice as much. That's why many prefer to star in Chinese movies/dramas. Chinese market is big. That means China has a lot of market to cover. Through Chinese movies/dramas, not only can Korean stars become bigger in China, but internationally, into Hollywood. How much stars get paid for commercials is not the only barometer of their popularity in China. Frequency of web searches is also a good indicator. But, even if you're a big star, if you don't follow up with subsequent work, you're immediately forgotten by the public. That’s as true in China as anywhere else. :P

• Like 8

@nevill so does this mean he officially confirmed to be in this drama? I see tons of people are tweeting about this as well. If it's true, at least we get to see him in a drama soon :) 

it seems so - and i for one dont mind it

soemthing new of him to watch is great especially since he will be away so more variety is better  

Hi nevill, thanks for sharing this. There are also two reasons why Korean stars appear in Chinese production. The pay is higher in China than it is in Korea and they know that they Chinese Market will soon lead to the international market. They get paid about twice as much. That's why many prefer to star in Chinese movies/dramas. Chinese market is big. That means China has a lot of market to cover. Through Chinese movies/dramas, not only can Korean stars become bigger in China, but internationally, into Hollywood. How much stars get paid for commercials is not the only barometer of their popularity in China. Frequency of web searches is also a good indicator. But, even if you're a big star, if you don't follow up with subsequent work, you're immediately forgotten by the public. That’s as true in China as anywhere else. :P

also professional to have experience in different production style can prepare you for more international work allaround i think working in different environment is a good experience for anyone

and if he gets also more recognition worldwide its even better  

• Like 6

STYLUS

cr: estylus.co.kr

Hi kanyaprasetyo, thanks for sharing the photos. As what the "Stylus" company said why they hired him as their model is because he's humble and prudent - I guess the company will be in good hands. More of his photos and videos will be available on the brand’s official website. :P

• Like 6

Ji Chang Wook chosen as the lead character for upcoming Chinese-Korean drama

by mssylee (all kpop)

ji-chang-wook_1443730376_af_org.jpg

It was recently revealed that heartthrob Ji Chang Wook was chosen as the main lead character for upcoming Chinese-Korean drama 'My Male God' and will start filming sometime this month!

According to the reports, Ji Chang Wook is to film in both Korea and Shanghai for three months and one month, respectively. In addition to Ji Chang Wook, A-lister Chinese actress Tiffany Tang is still in talks to take on the role of Ji Chang Wook's romantic interest. 

Meanwhile, this drama will be available for viewing via Hunan Television. No specific dates on its premiere has been revealed.

to read more:

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2015/10/ji-chang-wook-chosen-as-the-lead-character-for-upcoming-chinese-korean-drama 

• Like 6

JCW Interview with MTV Asia

Tang Yan (Tiffany Tang is one lucky woman, acting with Lee Min Ho & Ji Chang Wook now) :P

I'm neutral about this casting news. I think from the business perspective, joining a C-drama would means money+recognition. Fans in China will definitely stay tune to see him more and if his leading lady Tang Yan, then surely Chinese viewers would have high expectations. On the other hand, it's a pity he won't star in any Korean drama soon. And this might be his last project before enlistment. :tears::tears: (and of course his VOICE!!! Pity they'll dub his voice)

Hopefully it's gonna be one hell of a good drama! It's not like K-dramas are far more superior anyway, a number of kdramas recently just so bad it's hard to watch.

• Like 7

Ji Chang Wook Takes On A Chinese-Korean Drama As 'Healer' Follow-Up

BY Adrienne Stanley | Oct 02, 2015 09:28 AM EDT

Ji Chang Wook

According to Chinese media reports, Ji Chang Wook has been cast in a Chinese-Korean drama that could be his last project before he enters the military. On October 2, Chinese media reported the casting of the Hallyu star, whose popularity increased exponentially after his starring role in "Healer." 

The Chinese outlet Liberty Times Net, published an article stating that he had accepted the lead role in Hunan TV's "My Male God."

"My Male God" will begin filming in October, in locations throughout Shanghai and Korea.  The bulk of the shooting will be done in China, with three months spent in Shanghai and one in Korea. 

His co-star, Tiffany Tang, recently appeared opposite Rain in the romantic comedy, "Diamond Lover." She is cast as the female lead in "My Male God" and will serve as his lover in the drama.

Ji Chang Wook experienced his breakout role in the KBS2 series, "Healer." While he previously served as the romantic lead in the contemporary drama, "Bachelor Vegetable Store," his portrayal of a night courier in "Healer " solidified his image as a compelling action star and romantic lead. 

Ji followed the popularity of "Healer," with extensive promotions throughout China. He appeared on the mainland variety show, "Happy Camp," in May 2015 and attended an exclusive party in Hong Kong that was thrown by Alfred Dunhill. 

His "Healer" co-star, Park Min Young, also capitalized on the success of the drama in the Chinese market. She followed her portrayal of Chae Young Shin with a starring role in the mainland series, "The Braveness of Ming." 

Link: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/99502/20151002/ji-chang-wook-takes-on-a-chinese-korean-drama-as-healer-follow-up.htm

• Like 6

Tiffany Yang is a good actress. My mom is very picky in watching drama, but she loves 'Diamond Lovers' starring Bi Rain and Tiffany Yang, so I think JCW will cooperate well with Tiffany Yang. I am looking forward to watching this drama! Actually I am happy that he chooses his next project as a drama instead of some Korean musical. I prefer him to be in a Korean drama, but it's totally ok to be in a Chinese-Korean drama as long as the script is excellent. Anyway, do you know if 'My Male God' is a historical or modern drama? 

:)

• Like 6

Tiffany Yang is a good actress. My mom is very picky in watching drama, but she loves 'Diamond Lovers' starring Bi Rain and Tiffany Yang, so I think JCW will cooperate well with Tiffany Yang. I am looking forward to watching this drama! Actually I am happy that he chooses his next project as a drama instead of some Korean musical. I prefer him to be in a Korean drama, but it's totally ok to be in a Chinese-Korean drama as long as the script is excellent. Anyway, do you know if 'My Male God' is a historical or modern drama? 

:)

until you brought it up i was sure it was a modern day drama, dont why

but actually it could be historical - now ill think what id rather see him in, HMmmmmmm

• Like 6

until you brought it up i was sure it was a modern day drama, dont why

but actually it could be historical - now ill think what id rather see him in, HMmmmmmm

It will be set in modern times.  And Glorious has only confirmed that contracts have not even been signed, so I'm taking this with a grain of rice.

And no, I'm not happy he's choosing a project such as this.  IMHO, he should have enlisted right after "Healer" promotions concluded so he could go out on a high note.  But I will support Wook no matter what project he chooses.  We'll just have to trust his judgment. ^^

• Like 8

'Healer' is very good, but maybe a very successful Chinese drama can help boost his popularity to a higher level. I remember there was very popular Taiwanese drama more than 15 years ago (Huan Zhu Ge Ge), and it helped all lead actors/ actresses and even supporting actress become very famous all over Asia in a very short time. I heard that the Korean producers want to remake this drama, but the original writer doesn't agree. So if JCW is in good hand of a top-notch writer/ director regardless of what kind of language or nationality they are, I believe JCW will be fine. It is really a trend now that Korea export their actors to China, haha...Almost all the famous Korea actors have already joined the Chinese market. I'm not against it, but I have high hope that he is wise enough to choose a good script and working with an excellent director. I have a chance to watch some good HongKong, Taiwanese and Chinese dramas before, and they're very enjoyable to watch. I don't think JCW will go to the military in early 2016. I hope he will celebrate the next birthday party with fans and also take one more project after the China-Korea drama. 

Edited by nploan
  • Like 5

'Healer' is very good, but maybe a very successful Chinese drama can help boost his popularity to a higher level. I remember there was very popular Taiwanese drama more than 15 years ago (Huan Zhu Ge Ge), and it helped all lead actors/ actresses and even supporting actress become very famous all over Asia in a very short time. I heard that the Korean producers want to remake this drama, but the original writer doesn't agree. So if JCW is in good hand of a top-notch writer/ director regardless of what kind of language or nationality they are, I believe JCW will be fine. It is really a trend now that Korea export their actors to China, haha...Almost all the famous Korea actors have already joined the Chinese market. I'm not against it, but I have high hope that he is wise enough to choose a good script and working with an excellent director. I have a chance to watch some good HongKong, Taiwanese and Chinese dramas before, and they're very enjoyable to watch. I don't think JCW will go to the military in early 2016. I hope he will celebrate the next birthday party with fans and also take one more project after the China-Korea drama. 

Someone has to play Devil's Advocate, so it might as well be me.  ㅎㅎㅎ

There isn't much time left since he has to enlist before 5 July 2016, when he turns 30 years old (in Korean).  And now that the "Fabricated City" release date has been pushed from May to July 2016, he may be one of the few actors on record that had a drama or movie released while on active military service.

If this production will have the same writer as the Chinese sites have indicated, she only has one drama to her name at present so she's a total newbie.  The director has yet to be named as well.  Chinese television entities are now starting to issue copyright takedown notices to websites uploading and posting their shows, so international access will become even more limited.  And even a major chunk of his Chinese fans are totally against this project.  AND THE DUBBING.  BLECH BLECH BLECH.  It doesn't sound like this show is starting off on the right foot to me.

I do hope this all works out for the best.  But I'm going to go find a few candles and light them in his direction just in case...

• Like 4

Actor Daniel Choi was born in Feb 1986, and he just enlisted in Oct 2015. So maybe JCW still have a chance to celebrate his birthday with fans next year. Actor Kim Soo Hyun is so famous, but his recent Korean drama 'Producer' is so slow and boring, so Korean drama doesn't mean high quality and exciting all the time. Let's have hope for the best! That's all I can pray for JCW. :rolleyes: Did he say he has tried to learn more Chinese? Well, I think it's likely that he will enter the Chinese market soon. B)

Edited by nploan
  • Like 7