[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

#ThrowbackR88

One of the things that I like between DS and JH's screen time and friendship on R88 is how many of their scenes began with Junghwan being startled by the sudden appearance of Deoksun. Here are most of the times Deoksunie has ever surprised/shocked/startled Junghwanie in R88:

1. When DS was practicing as a picket girl in front of JH's house (episode 1):

tumblr_o0dt54ClEr1qbyuu5o5_r1_400.gif

2. When JH was feeding his doggy and DS went inside eating ice cream (episode 4):

tumblr_o0dt54ClEr1qbyuu5o4_r1_400.gif

3. When JH was "waiting" for SW to go to school together (episode 4):

tumblr_o0dt54ClEr1qbyuu5o7_r1_400.gif

4. When JH was trying his shoelace over and over again just to wait for DS (episode 7):

tumblr_o0dt54ClEr1qbyuu5o1_400.gif

5. When DS boarded inside the bus early in the morning (episode 12):

tumblr_nza11a3SIM1qbyuu5o3_400.gif

6. When DS asked, for the one millionth time, if JH would come to LMS' concert with her (episode 11):

tumblr_nz8dg6mTXa1qbyuu5o5_400.gif

7. When Man Ok, Ja Hyun and DS are about to enter DS's house (episode 10):

tumblr_o0dt54ClEr1qbyuu5o8_r1_500.gif

8. Lastly, MY FAVORITE (episode 7):

Spoiler

When DS went inside TK's room when JH was reading the R-rated novel

tumblr_o0dt54ClEr1qbyuu5o6_r1_500.gif

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love JH and DS's friendship too ^^ And especially in those scene you can clearly see his one sided love for her when he is really aware of her presence and most of the time she is completely oblivious or doesnt care, poor JH :tears:

This also prove that before her friend told her he might like her, JH was basically just another DR (who always bickering nonstop with her) according to DS, then after her friends susgestion, he was treated like another SW ^_^ Poor guys maybe she just wasnt meant for him. Even Hyeri also said that Taek had a different starting point compare to JH and SW,  so i guess it cant be helped. :phew:

5 hours ago, ayvah said:

I always had the impression that taek realized about it the same way and exactly the same time junghwan did. That is, when they saw her outside wearing slippers, instead of looking like a girl who’s going on a date. Both guys are smart but at that point, they did not say anything because they knew how embarrassed deukseon would feel. The writer really loves to use parallels.

Aside from the hesitation and lack of courage, i noticed that junghwan’s feelings were not as strong as taek’s (I don’t know how to put it into words so I apologize if I sounded like im downplaying his love for deoksun, not my intention tbh) but how difficult was it to bail out on his date with dongryong and give up forrest gump? As compared to taek forfeiting his baduk match. So I feel like the writer also wants to show us that junghwan’s hesitation was not only because he lacked the courage. When it came to deoksun, he was not just as passionate as taek, who forfeited his match and took his chance.

and well, would it really matter? deoksun in 2016 told the reporter (or whoever is interviewing them) that they started liking each other in 1989. the concert was in 1994. so i think even if junghwan came first to the concert, it would not have made any difference since their fates had been sealed in 1989. 

Anyways, I read so many comments how others feel cheated and all, I understand perfectly how that feels. I experienced firsthand the chilbong virus and no matter how cheated I felt, I knew then I just got trolled. That’s how brilliant and amazing these people behind the reply series are. 

@ayvah !!! 

Spot on observation about parallelism in this episode. I literally facepalmed myself. I've been so focused on body language and other cues I didn't recognize the fact that the writer has been drawing parallelisms since EP1.

You're on to something right there.. those 2 have been given equal opportunities from the get-go even if they were introduced in the story at different points in time. Including the chance here to deduce and rush to DS within a given frame of time. One was just more earnest and courageous than the other. Although it  didn't matter much really who loved more, who did more, who wanted more. Because the most important thing of all, the deciding factor --  as fate would have it, DS was just more in-tuned with TK and drawn to him since childhood.

I will apologize in advance for this post.

It seems nothing much change even after several people already came forward and share their thought. I always avoid this thread because every time I came here I can't help but feels like it had turned very nasty. If you people still want to post and discuss anything nobody would stop you. But this has come to the point where a character is downgraded just because they want to prove that their bias is more relevant. How rude is that. It has come to the point where some fans had turned elsewhere just to keep enjoying their moment of shipping and sharing everything related to the drama. 

I am sorry if I offended anyone but I just feel like I have to say this. I won't mention the character's name since the one who did that will surely realize what they wrote about.

1 hour ago, pixiemoondust said:

@ayvah !!! 

Spot on observation about parallelism in this episode. I literally facepalmed myself. I've been so focused on body language and other cues I didn't recognize the fact that the writer has been drawing parallelisms since EP1.

You're on to something right there.. those 2 have been given equal opportunities from the get-go even if they were introduced in the story at different points in time. Including the chance here to deduce and rush to DS within a given frame of time. One was just more earnest and courageous than the other. Although that didn't matter much really. Because the most important thing of all, the deciding factor --  as fate would have it, DS was just more in-tuned with TK and drawn to him since childhood.

The writer thrives best in parallelisms! That’s why I so love and hate her. I still haven’t forgiven her for trolling me so much with chilbong hhahaha! But she’s really my most favorite writer in kdramaland. Who else could pull off such amazing story-lines with a husband-hunting on the side? 

3 hours ago, PiggyKid said:

I love JH and DS's friendship too ^^ And especially in those scene you can clearly see his one sided love for her when he is really aware of her presence and most of the time she is completely oblivious or doesnt care, poor JH :tears:

This also prove that before her friend told her he might like her, JH was basically just another DR (who always bickering nonstop with her) according to DS, then after her friends susgestion, he was treated like another SW ^_^ Poor guys maybe she just wasnt meant for him. Even Hyeri also said that Taek had a different starting point compare to JH and SW,  so i guess it cant be helped. :phew:

Hahahaha 

If JH is like another DR, I kind of like it! DR is a great counselor and is a really nice and funny guy, having another DR in DS's life would make her life so fun and full of happiness! I can imagine DS being so comfortable to share her concerns with JH, just like what she did when she asked DR about why nobody likes her! :) As long as their bickering doesn't go violent and eventually causes injury, that's fine! I find DS's bickers with the guys really cute, and I think DS is fine with it, she bickers with TK in the present time too!

Sometimes we can't always agree to what our friends are saying, but that's what DS did, and that led JH to be treated "like another SW". I wonder how it would turn out like if DS didn't really think about her friends' suggestions... would JH be treated differently? maybe...

Anyways, I've always imagined JH and DS's friendship to be really funny, I imagine DS seeking JH's help for her studies:

Junghwan trying to help Deoksun with Math:

1. I can imagine DS be like:

tumblr_o0a2ngcCel1qbyuu5o4_400.gif

2. And Junghwan be like:

tumblr_o0a2ngcCel1qbyuu5o1_500.gif

Junghwan wanted to give up at that moment, but he knows DS really needs his help, so he continues explaining. But he realizes that it's no use at all, 

3. and until the very end DS is like: 

tumblr_o0a2ngcCel1qbyuu5o3_400.gif

4. Frustrated, JH gives up and be like:

tumblr_o0a2ngcCel1qbyuu5o2_500.gif

As I was looking for the artist who sang SAD FATE in the Reply 1988 drama, I fortunately came across this wonderful video. I don't know if this was shared here but I want to share it still. It sums up why this drama is gold. It showed that it's not just a typical love story, it has the greatest love stories in life, the story of friendships and how a family should be a family.

I really wish this thread would be able to just forego of all the shipping wars and focus on other details this wonderful drama has to offer. Let's just ship them on their respective shipping threads. Let's make this place like the street where they all lived before. Let's build friendships here and good memories. 

On 1/20/2016 at 10:40 PM, luluponyazn said:

So I read something on the AM88 Baidu bar, and it gave me goosebumps from how meticulously this drama was laid out from the beginning, so I went back and traced some of the baduk analogies throughout the series.

I'm sure most of you have read about the 4'33" by John Cage and clock imagery that's threaded throughout the series as foreshadowing for Taek, but there is also another running thread of baduk analogies. 

In the promotional poster, JH is wearing black, while Taek is wearing white, representing the 2 sides of Baduk.

The black player always makes the first move, and thus, JH is the first contender that was introduced to us. 

Since the black player has the advantage of making the first move, during early decades, black players statistically win most games, and it was later international convention during the 70's/80's for the black player to compensate 5.5 komi (points) to the white player to offset that advantage. 

Taek was formally introduced as husband contender in the 6th episode, which kind of means that he had the disadvantage of losing 5.5 komi (5.5 episodes) compared to the black player, JH.

I went back and checked, and this imagery was repeated multiple times during critical junctions in the love triangle storyline. 

In episode 9, when we first got a different glimpse of DS while she was in China with Taek and introduced to the couple pictures. Take was wearing a white shirt, while JH was a black shirt.

In another critical moment for the love triangle during ep 18 at the Lee Jung Hwan concert. JH was wearing a black shirt, while Taek was wearing a white shirt. 

Since JH never gave Taek those 5.5 komi back to offset his beginner's advantage, the poster argued that Taek was so strong as the husband contender that he didn't need to have those 5.5 komi (5.5 episodes) given back to him to eventually secure his victory in the husband (baduk) race. 

This was further corroborated in the 6th episode, when his teacher noted that while Taek traditionally do better as the white player, he was playing black during the game in the 6th episode, but he still won. So even while Taek had all the disadvantages, whether it was in his professional game or his romantic game, he was still the eventual victor. 

Also from ep 15, when DS's crush on JH officially ended, there was an interesting conversation between Taek and his opponent. Note here, Taek was playing black (his disadvantaged color), while the other player was playing white. 

The timing of this conversation marked the turning point in the love line, when JH officially lost his beginner's advantage to Taek due to previous choices he'd made, and also timed well with how DS's behavior towards Taek began to have more marked changes. 

Add to the fact that Taek was based on the real life baduk legend, Lee Chang-Ho, who was known for his simple playing style without much flashiness but wins by his steadiness and meticulous calculations. Thus, his games often appear simple and tepid during the beginning, and his eventual victory only becomes apparent towards the end, which echoes with Taek's rising strength as the husband contender with each subsequent episode. 

Here are some information on Lee Chang-Ho from Wiki for those unfamiliar with baduk. 

Anyways, just mind blown. :dizzy:

WOW!! I'M LITERALLY AMAZED!! sorry to bring this up again but i was backreading to catch up with the who-the-husband analysis. and this is the first baduk analysis i have encountered. just want to share this again and maybe some of you may want to re-read this amazing post. :)

i remember reply 1994. ive also read baseball analysis that time. too bad najung only had her eyes for oppa all throughout the series. 

"I am sorry if I offended anyone but ..." 

LOL LOL...seriously, Y'all who like to use this particular line are so funny. Com'on.... WHY WHY why be "sorry" when a part of you isn't? Or maybe you are sorry,who knows? * shrugs* 

That line is becoming a recurring theme in this thread. 

You wanna make an opinion, make it, you wanna suggest something, do it. You wanna post anything even though it may be DISAGREED upon, Go right ahead. No one is stopping you. Why apologise for your own opinions. STOP giving an Apologia especially if you meant what you are saying. 

If anyone can't stand your opinions, LOL, oh well...

*SMH* 

@namunamuyeppeoWell if her friends never suggested that JH might like her, i think she will never change how she treated him in the first place haha ^_^ That means to her he will forever be DR number 2, never to become SW number 2, that would be too cruel :(

And good thing that you mentioned DS's tutor :). I always find it odd that even though Taek didnt go to school, DS's parents still choose him to teach DS how to concentrate in her studies:phew:  They must have really adore and trust Taek to completely leave DS in his care;)   Or maybe they saw what others couldnt, we'll never know haha :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, tsonzzz said:

I was skimming through images on instagram and stumbled upon this photo.

Gosh... Lee Ilhwa(DS mum) in her younger days and present-day Hyeri(DS).

DONT THEY LOOK SIMILIAR OR IS IT JUST ME? 

Source: @.77_ssosso_77 instagram

Ilhwa omma was so pretty...She still is, with or without the curly wig :D Gosh, the hairstyle and clothes even look similar

11 hours ago, namunamuyeppeo said:

#ThrowbackR88

One of the things that I like between DS and JH's screen time and friendship on R88 is how many of their scenes began with Junghwan being startled by the sudden appearance of Deoksun. Here are most of the times Deoksunie has ever surprised/shocked/startled Junghwanie in R88:

1. When DS was practicing as a picket girl in front of JH's house (episode 1):

2. When JH was feeding his doggy and DS went inside eating ice cream (episode 4):

3. When JH was "waiting" for SW to go to school together (episode 4):

4. When JH was trying his shoelace over and over again just to wait for DS (episode 7):

5. When DS boarded inside the bus early in the morning (episode 12):

6. When DS asked, for the one millionth time, if JH would come to LMS' concert with her (episode 11):

7. When Man Ok, Ja Hyun and DS are about to enter DS's house (episode 10):

8. Lastly, MY FAVORITE (episode 7):

Hide contents

When DS went inside TK's room when JH was reading the R-rated novel

Your number 8 is my favourite too. Especially after JH acting all dumb, pretending like nothing happened and DS wrestled with him. I really wanna to see a BTS of it. It seems like a funny scene to act out. Even if they didn't turn out to be a couple, I still think their relationship a pretty awkward yet cute one. Miss their bickering interaction so much. 

12 hours ago, pixiemoondust said:

So true. @sara2908

He gave her a once-over

And you could see right away he caught on to DS' bluff.

In the same manner he wryly responded "Sounds like a lie" to DS quitting drinking. :D

Boy didn't you know, she did that so she can drive you home ;)

I got distracted by the gif you posted. I still can't believed that DS went to the concert wearing slippers. Hahahaha. 

14 hours ago, namunamuyeppeo said:

I don't know if this has been posted here, but Winner's Song Mino updated his instagram on 6 Feb 

The caption says "Eodini Eodini I'm already missing you" (DR's signature line)

It says "Mino eodini Song Mino eodini, are you being sentimental?" 

Even Song Mino got a hand on the R88 Director's cut OST! The craze is real!

Credit: http://reply-thatdoublenine.tumblr.com/

Eodini Dong Ryong ah... I really miss you, Dong Ryong ah. 

:heart:

Guest aoikarin

A beautiful FanVid mashup video.. Choi Taek and Deuk Sun x The Moon that embraces the Sun. The past life of King Taek and Queen Deuk Sun. I LOVE THIS MV.. So creative and beautiful

Guest aoikarin
8 hours ago, sara2908 said:

One of admirable Taek's trait is he did not hesitate.

Why do you think he is late huffing and puffing out of breath when he arrive at the concert?

I think because of his driving  and parking skills:D It must have been some distance for him to run there.

@pixiemoondust I loved that he didn't mind Deoksun being the driver. Scenes in the car with Deoksun after they are together , Deoksun is the driver. 

Don''t forget, Taek is blind of directions.. it's almost impossible for him to go there alone.. I bet he lost way few times before he arrived at the concert venue. That's why Duk Sun asked Taek .."HOW DID YOU KNOW TO COME HERE?" For Duk sun it's kind of miracle that Taek can come there to meet DS.. She really expected Taek to go there.. and she held that 1% chance to come true.. AND YESS! It's a very beautiful scene.. TAEK arrived there in time. 1% miracle expected by DS hoping Taek to come has come true..  Taek really knows DS's heart.. He's TelepaTAEK! :D

Yes, I agree DS quit drinking so she can drive Taek home...the herbal medicine she took just an excuse.. we can see that during their dates she's the one who drives. and even Taek's teacher who usually drives Taek home from Baduk centre gave the key to DS so she can drive worn out/ tired Taek home.

ok so wait..i am confused..

When DS keeps asking JH to go to the concert..and when she is staying over at JH's place..and accidently they share the bed at night and she asks him to accompany again..and he finally agrees to..

Did they go to that concert or not?

There are so many things i didn't realize..and your analysis is making me realize..

For e.g. the 18 ep scene..i didn't get the great fuss about it..i mean T did reach first..well ok..

and now that you highlight the importance of setting up the context of his bad driving...i can so see it more clearly..why JH's parting words make all the more sense.. about T needing DS more..

and why DS would fall for him.. (not that that even needs a reason..but ya)

@enigmatic_zephy  They did.  They didn't show them going, but leaving.  It was when she met that friend of hers who liked her in the past, and pretended to hurt herself so JH would help her walk. 

Taek's bad driving is one point, but another is that we know when Junghwan knew.  We don't know when Taek actually knew.  Still, JH knew before the movie started that she got stood up, but still waited until mid-way of a 2 hour and 30 minute long movie to actually make a move.  He cursed the red lights, but in the end if he had gone sooner he would have gotten there quicker, and would have beaten Taek.   He realized this himself as well.  

1 minute ago, melissala said:

@enigmatic_zephy  They did.  They didn't show them going, but leaving.  It was when she met that friend of hers who liked her in the past, and pretended to hurt herself so JH would help her walk. 

Taek's bad driving is one point, but another is that we know when Junghwan knew.  We don't know when Taek actually knew.  Still, JH knew before the movie started that she got stood up, but still waited until mid-way of a 2 hour and 30 minute long movie to actually make a move.  He cursed the red lights, but in the end if he had gone sooner he would have gotten there quicker, and would have beaten Taek.   He realized this himself as well.  

lol..u know this is one question i wanted answered..

don't remember forest gump and def dont have the patience to rewatch the movie..so i was wondering when does that scene come where the lady in water is calling out FG's name..

Because that marks the timeline..for how long did JH really wait before going for DS..

Archived