Quantcast
czakhareina

[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

17 hours ago, pinknerd93 said:

Can anybody help me find a video of their press conference and episode 0? Subbed/non subbed will be fine. Much appreciate it x

You can find it on youtube by searching "Reply 1988 Ep.0" & "Reply 1988 Press Conference" :)

5 of the most upsetting K-drama endings

While Descendants of the Sun might have been a hit ending for many, there's no denying some of the biggest misses in Korean drama history
dots_embed.jpg

Image: SingTel TV

Writer Kim Eun Sook is responsible for one of the most reviled endings in K-drama history and there were concerns, in the lead-up to the finale of her latest hit, Descendants Of The Sun, that she would fail fans again.

On Wednesday, she had to reassure them during a radio interview she would not make the same mistake again, "because I would not be able to live in Korea".

However, as a public service, we are recounting some of the most upsetting, least satisfying K-drama endings. We watched them, so you never have to.

------edited out ------------------

5 REPLY 1988 (2016)

Team Jung Hwan - fans rooting for the cool guy played by Ryu Jun Yeol - are unhappy with the finale and it is understandable.

Although Jung Hwan is a main character, not only does he not get the girl, he also does not get a mention in the ending, unlike similar characters in the preceding Reply dramas (Reply 1997 in 2012 and Reply 1994 in 2013).

The shabby treatment of an important character in what is an otherwise sweet finale leaves a weird aftertaste.

==========================================================================================

Too bad I watched it live.. :bawling:.

source

• Like 2

Girl’s Day member Hyeri shared a behind-the-scenes tidbit about her crying scene in the drama “Reply 1988.”

On April 14, she guested on KBS’s “Happy Together 3” along with fellow member Yura, and actors Lee Se Young and Choi Sung Won.

On this episode, she shared something that happened while she was auditioning for her role on tvN’s “Reply 1988.”

She spoke of some help she received from actor Ryu Jun Yeol, revealing, “I was worried if the viewers would be as sad as I would be during the crying scene so I was wondering if I could get any tips or know-hows. So I called Ryu Jun Yeol two days before the shoot. We weren’t that close back then so I had to pick up the courage to call him. I asked if he could come out to the office and he came gladly without hesitation. He taught me the best,” showing her gratitude to her co-star.

:heart:This is terrific. It is always good to hear how folks pull together behind the scene to help everything comes together into a lovely story with a perfect ending. It seems like RJY is more helpful to Hyeri his real life than JH was to DS in the series. Of course it always been obvious that RJY wouldn't be someone to kick Hyeri while she was trying to learn her lines or rehearse her blocking like JH kicked DS while she was doing her chores.

That's why it is so important to keep actors and character separate when watching drama. Conflating them leads to confusion and misunderstanding of what's happening in the series.:heart:

• Like 7

Honestly I'm getting fed up of the people who keep on insisting of a certain actor suppose to be the main leading actor when obviously he's not. Just because he was a MAIN SUPPPRTING ROLE thus has a bit of importance as to create part of the story, some people keep insisting abt him being the lead & keep on whining abt the ending. The ending has been made very clear who has the most important & complex role, the focus on his background from his characteristic, his career & his feelings for his family, friends & the woman he loves...and his name was announced as the leading actor of R1988 was aired by Arirang since May 2015 , way before  filming started...and Arirang is an official TVN entertainment news network not SOE clueless & bias blogger

Showbiz Korea-HYE-RI, PARK BO-GUM & GO KYUNG-PYO TO LEAD REPLY 1988

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ssYnPJ0deZo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ssYnPJ0deZo

The point is the 3 leading casts were announced to lead R88 are Girl's Day HR, PBG & GKP. 

Screenshot_2016-04-21-02-23-37_zps9mzldp

Screenshot_2016-04-21-02-19-59_zpsdgx3vu

"And they are supported by OTHERS"

Thus there's no doubt the first leading man was set to be PBG from the beginning since GKP was told his love interest is BR right from the start (check ep 0). Therefore there is NO question Choi Taek was set to be the husband right from the start. And to see the effort the writer has put in into researching Choi Taek character, very detailed and precise the the rea baduk geniuses, also somewhat custom made for PBG,  its more like who is Choi Taek's wife instead of Deoksun's husband hunt. :P

I love all the characters,  young & old..... He bows out of the competition graciously & handsomely, so please don't make a cool guy turn pathetic because of a girl.

For the good & the bad of what this thread has gone thru, I sincerely hope people  will enjoy R88 as much as I do...however its time for me to moves on from this drama thread.

Have a nice day :)

• Like 11

@lxands : Hi dear :)

At this point I am not really into debating on who's what .. (We have done it before like a millions time :sweatingbullets:).

I am just posting NEWS that I found about (or related to) Reply 1988 that are not yet posted here. 
And since I haven't see that article posted here, then why not ?
It's new, posted on herworldplus on 17 of April 2016.

and also in THE STRAITSTIMES (not some random soe clueless and bias blogger as you said).

here is the link :

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/the-most-upsetting-k-drama-endings

Sorry if it's bothering you, I have no intention on doing that.

(You might be (still) oversensitive about this whole things, because if you read that articles again you would see, It's said there 'main character' NOT 'main leading actor'. As for  your video, it was posted a long time ago I believe. I also have seen and read articles about it before  and I appreciate it :).) 

• Like 5

Anyway....
Still related to Reply 1988, but I also don't see it posted on the main thread before, so why not ? :D

This is from the Reply 1988 Concerts, (please NOTED that I do know and understand that it is not from/in the drama but I love it since I love jhds couple:wub:).

In a way, it was Deoksun Reply To Junghwan Confession. It was a prologue to "A Little Girl " song performed live at the concerts :)

I am dedicating this post to new Reply 1988 fans who are into jhds couple. Hopefully it can comfort you the way it comfort me before guys :heart:.

Translations :

‘It was like an innocent day has passed by.
Love is a coincidence,
carefully we found it, just like that, unexpectedly.
Because of love, we were happy, hurt and sad.
And then towards love, we matured.
Even though it never came true, it was beautiful, our love.
Because it's our first,
it was clumsy, cause we're innocent,
wondered if it wasn't our head, but was our heart instead

Though our first love couldn't bear any fruit,
the flowers that bloom from it, was a beautiful memory.
And I believe it so.’

• Like 7

As the great Constantin Stanislavski famously said, "Remember: There are no small parts only small actors".

It's my personal opinion that which actors played the lead and which played a featured, supporting, or cameo are battles for actors' agents to take up because it  might/do affect the actor's pay scale for the next project. The designation of a role "status" is a matter of business and entertainment politics.  For industry reason, more famous actor might be designated lead even if he/she are hardly in a production, similarly an actor that carries a production might be re-designated to a supporting as a strategic move during awards season.  This fixation on actors seem peculiar to me, and only me, because I don't really care that much about specific actors outside specific role.  Just a weird quirk of mine.

Recognizing that each role is significance, per Stanislavski, and each role has a fuction in the story that is being told (production are too expensive to have characters that don't contribute to the story, the question is always, what is the story? How important was a character to the telling of the story? How much would be lost/changed from/about the story if that character was removed?  So it depend on the story you see.  If you see it as a family/neighborhood story who could we lose without changing the story significantly.  Maybe DR's Mom? Maybe not.

If it is DS story would the story change if we lost SW? [maybe/maybe not--but BR would be SOL]  If we lost JH? [Somewhat, not much] If we lost Taek? [It would not be the same story at all.] 

Well for those who wants a different story, perhaps they should watch a different drama or accept the wisdom of the  Rolling Stone's Anthem.

Spoiler

Me I'm more of the Edith Piaf mindset.

Spoiler

Except much happier.

And who regrets a fun, healthy, good time. 

Where love is reciprocated nurturing and empowering.

maxresdefault.jpg

So, Frank Sinatra's anthem never resonated to me. 

Spoiler

"Regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention. . . "

But then others never seem to have too many regrets to mention. . . 

But I'm dumbfounded by the waste of thowing more time fixated on the time you regret wasting.

Me, instead of regretting, I just learn and grow or you know, let it goooooooooooooooooo. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hushhh said:

If it is DS story would the story change if we lost Taek? [It would not be the same story at all.]

Interesting !!!. I would love to see this one :D:D:D

and thank god, there's so many different dramas out there that handle the love line much better then this drama. 
That's why I was saying "too bad, I watched this drama Live" or else if I knew, I might skip it (or skip at least the love line since they said 99% of it is about the family. You just don't want to skip the awesomeness that is Ra Miran Family  :lol::P).

• Like 4

Whoa I had no idea this was opened up again. LOL

Will leave this here then. 

Darn no English subs for the vid, but this is the closest I can find as far as some sort of translation for at least one of the questions asked. It's in Korean and Chinese so if anyone can give a brief translation as far as anything related 1988 in the vid...would be appreciated. ^_^

2016-04-19_zpsrrlao5kp.png

Thank you Minah (since it looks like she pushed her to answer one LOL)...you didn't allow her to go the safe route by choosing both!;) Though I wonder about the confusion w/ the question. hmmmm... 

• Like 3

On 5/15/2015 at 7:32 PM, ororomunroe said:

Park Bo Gum in Talks for Leading Role in “Reply 1988″

On May 15, an affiliate of the drama department told Daily Sports, “Park Bo Gum has auditioned for tvN‘s ‘Reply 1988.’”

A representative of the actor’s agency Blossom Entertainment also said, “Park Bo Gum has auditioned and had a meeting with the drama’s production team, but the results are not out yet. He is currently waiting.”

If Park Bo Gum is cast for the drama, he will be the first youthful character in ‘Reply 1988′ so far. Actors Sung Dong IlLee Il HwaKim Sung Kyun, Ra Mi Ran, and Girl’s Day‘s Hyeri are some possible cast members, and Park Bo Gum is the first young male actor to be in talks of joining the drama as of now.

This actor has starred in “Bridal Mask,” “Wonderful Days,” “Tomorrow Cantabile,” and more, and will be taking his first lead role in “Reply 1988″ if he is confirmed for the drama.

This drama is planned to start production in September.

Cr: Soompi

Just sharing for leading man of reply 1988 issue - as early as May 2015, (Repost of  this thread page 4  thanks to @orromunroe).

So bogum was confirmed as leading man of the drama. a lot of bogum fan from tomorrow canable and hello monster keep reminding to watch answer me 1988 bcos of bogum. of course some of the fan mind changed to Jun yeo for certain reason :

• Like 2

YEAH

T H E  W I N N E R S 

F A N  V O T E 

Park Bo Gum & Lee Hye Ri (SunTaek Couple)

Kim Jung Hwan & Sung Deok Sun (Gaeddeok Couple)

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

SO HAPPY THAT OF ALL THE COUPLES IN THE SHIPPERS PARADISE CONTEST TWO OF ANSWER ME 1988's COUPLES FINISHED AS WINNER and 1ST RUNNER-UP.

IN FIRST PLACE: SUNTAEK--THE SERIES OTP

IN SECOND PLACE: GAEDDEOK --THE SERIES WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN, BUT .  .  .

Three brilliants characters created from the heart of the writer, the skill of the PD, and the talent of the actors. Between the original narrative and the alternate Answer Me 1988 fandom generated 72,099 votes from their diligent efforts. KUDOS:thumbsup:

The fans loved them all the characters and the vote results stayed true to the vision. :love:

I'm so glad the Gaeddeok fandom was able to find solace by imagining what might have been.  Their clever use of material outside the Answer Me universe made for some interesting entries.:relaxed: Good work guys for your honest efforts to show the world your hearts. :kiss_wink:

Good job to all the creative workers, long may you be what you are; may the love of drama continue to unite us.  :heart: 

• Like 8

True RMR's family is an awesome family but my favorite family would be The Choi 2-person family.

Choi Appa even though he lacks a lot still took care of Taeks every need. Imagine a single dad taking care of a genius son, it's quite hard. As for Taek, I love how he loves, respects and understand his dad's need. Though both of them were men of few words, their actions speaks a lot louder than words.

I know each family have their own positive points and this is the reason why R88 is an awesome drama. True the loveline might suck for some (though it's the best one for me personally), but the PD was right, it's a story about families and the community they live in. They have said that from the very beginning when they revealed that a 3rd series will be happening.

For those people who have just started watching the drama, don't focus too much on the loveline aspect of the drama, ignore the disappointments that some are saying, rather focus on the WHOLE DRAMA itself, don't skip anything. It's worth the watch. It's really a golden drama about different types of families and how they live. Hyeri was right, they can never please everybody, but watch it with an open mind and keep in mind that THIS IS NOT YOUR REGULAR DRAMA THOUGH THIS DRAMA IS THE MOST REALISTIC DRAMA EVER IN KDRAMALAND.

• Like 9

From Taxi episode and Harper's Bazaar interview. First article...very misleading, hilarious title :sweatingbullets: and he must have had the drama on the brain? Otherwise... :huh:

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/02/ryu-joon-yeol-never-had-a-girlfriend-before-reply-1988 

Ryu Joon Yeol also answered some questions on relationships and dating. He said, "Like Jung Hwan, I have tsundere-like (cold) persona but I also have an affectionate side like Sun Woo," revealing a bit about his dating style. 

The actor further relayed, "I haven't had a girlfriend before starring in 'Reply 1988.' I didn't have a girlfriend for over six months. When I asked my mother, 'What do you think of a woman like Duk Seon?' she said she was fine with that."  

Screenshot%202016-04-27%20at%201.05.27%2

• Like 1

I love this drama. I love esp choi family! I love teak character! I do wonder if DS is deserving. Taek loves her from the beginning and he knew realise it before her. As of JH character- he made me boil each time I see his sulky face. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2016 at 1:22 AM, hushhh said:

:heart:This is terrific. It is always good to hear how folks pull together behind the scene to help everything comes together into a lovely story with a perfect ending. It seems like RJY is more helpful to Hyeri his real life than JH was to DS in the series. Of course it always been obvious that RJY wouldn't be someone to kick Hyeri while she was trying to learn her lines or rehearse her blocking like JH kicked DS while she was doing her chores.

That's why it is so important to keep actors and character separate when watching drama. Conflating them leads to confusion and misunderstanding of what's happening in the series.:heart:

Hahaha of course not! And also RJY irl is not one to hesitate when it comes to his feelings. And yeah, it's an unspoken rule that the actors themselves are distinctively different from the characters that they potray although there might be some overlaps like Bogum being somewhat clumsy like Taek but not too exaggerated and Hyeri is as bright and cheery as Deoksun but way more smarter academically as she had mentioned in HT.

Also, congrats to both the Reply couple for obtaining the badges! Shoutout to the people who created beautiful poems, fanarts, fanfics and fanvids! And to those who worked hard to vote legitimately for their respective teams. It would have been awesome if YeolGum made it too :( The Africa board game was so original and the fanfic was hilarious :lol:

16 hours ago, Gummy Ting said:

I love this drama. I love esp choi family! I love teak character! I do wonder if DS is deserving. Taek loves her from the beginning and he knew realise it before her. As of JH character- he made me boil each time I see his sulky face. 

Yep this drama is a rare gem (a 99% family drama, Shin PD's words not mine) for sure. I'm watching other dramas but they don't get me as hooked as this ever did in the beginning. I loved Kim family because of they were my comedic relief but still made me cry at times with the Choi family following behind after Sunwoo's mom married papa Choi. It was heartwarming to see Sunyoung cooking so much food for Taek's birthday (I hope she improved her cooking by leaps and bounds otherwise poor OT5 xD)

Yeah, if I had a bone to pick on Junghwan it would be him brooding xD Brooding is never fun in any drama anyways. You could skip the brooding like how I did for Taek's baduk competitions.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Gummy Ting said:

Interesting way of looking at the situation. Although I'm not in agreement with the bolded statement

How does one deserve love?

And if both partners do not fall in love at the exact same time does it make mean the one that lags is undeserving of the one that fell first love. 

Spoiler

For the record I find the exalting and/or fetishizing of "first love" bizarre.  I think what counts is not first love but last love.  If they are one and the same hurrah!! I know several high-school and college sweetheart who have been eachother last love (One relationship even survived gender reassignment surgery).  And I also know othere beautiful couples who had to make a few foray into the romance mart before finding the precious last love.  All the relationships are beautiful and strong. 

2 hours ago, ryurbae said:

Hahaha of course not! And also RJY irl is not one to hesitate when it comes to his feelings. [Interesting information!  I know nothing of the guy in real life.  I just watch dramas and leave people's personal lives to them.  I feel that the over interest of "fan" in actors lives ends up making actors existence an open air prison.  It almost seems like a cruel way to express love and respect.] And yeah, it's an unspoken rule that the actors themselves are distinctively different from the characters that they potray [LOL, maybe it needs to be spoken since often times the things I read often conflate the actor's in real life with the character.  But hey, people enjoy their drama in ways that  suit their personality and if they decide to jump ship on a character in favor of an actor then it's their time and their joy :D.]  although there might be some overlaps [As for there being a rule,  I don't know that there is a rule about correlation. Sometimes I've found actors are similar to their characters and sometimes they are vastly different, so I've always found it helpful never to assume significant overlap. The most frequent overlap I find is that most often--but not always-- actors tend to look like their characters.]  

I too am happy that eveyone got participation badges no matter the size of their fandom.  

I regret that the same offer wasn't made to the hardworking groups that were eliminated earlier in the competition.

I'm very happy to recognize the beautiful husband blue [it is interesting that a badge for (relations) ships reads like a solo trip.]

and the outstanding  Almighty 7 aqua ?? [Really love this name; it has so many magical, conjuring, weird (early etymology. see McBeth) connotations.]  

The badges are like wearing your love for RJY on your sleeves.  Truly impressed with how honest effort brought about the vote.

Happy shipping.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ryurbae said:

Also, congrats to both the Reply couple for obtaining the badges! Shoutout to the people who created beautiful poems, fanarts, fanfics and fanvids! And to those who worked hard to vote legitimately for their respective teams. It would have been awesome if YeolGum made it too :( The Africa board game was so original and the fanfic was hilarious :lol:.

Hahahah..Don't worry dear @ryurbae YeolGum also made it !!! :D

They also get badge and color of their choice. Infact all 4 of the Runner Ups get badge and color of their choice. I am really glad that the mods decide it this way, because all the team were working really hard for their entries. It's a token of appreciation to all of the teams that join the competition :). Love it.

I am also a fan of yeolgum entries, their board game is original, simple and looking at the game instruction, I think will be so much fun to play :D.

here it is :

:D:D:D

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, hushhh said:

I too am happy that eveyone got participation badges no matter the size of their fandom.  

I regret that the same offer wasn't made to the hardworking groups that were eliminated earlier in the competition.

I'm very happy to recognize the beautiful husband blue [it is interesting that a badge for (relations) ships reads like a solo trip.]

and the outstanding  Almighty 7 aqua ?? [Really love this name; it has so many magical, conjuring, weird (early etymology. see McBeth) connotations.]  

The badges are like wearing your love for RJY on your sleeves.  Truly impressed with how honest effort brought about the vote.

Happy shipping.

No worries, just want to enlighten you because of your previous post regarding RJY's real life personality and your comparison to Junghwan. Oh and the tag EoNamRyu echoes the korean netizens sentiments and some of ours, not to mention it was officially entered in as a term in the Naver Dictionary.

18 minutes ago, Cappadocia said:

Hahahah..Don't worry dear @ryurbae YeolGum also made it !!! :D

They also get badge and color of their choice. Infact all 4 of the Runner Ups get badge and color of their choice.

I am also a fan of yeolgum entries, their board game is original, simple and looking at the game instruction, I think will be so much fun to play :D.

here it is :

:D:D:D

Omg it did?! Thanks @Cappadocia! I am really out of the loop, assuming only those pinned threads were entitled to the badge. :sweatingbullets: Those efforts for YeolGum were not wasted. How I wish I could have two tags >_<

• Like 4

@hushhh @ryurbae :wub::) Thanks for sharing your tots And generous kind words... The good about this drama to me, is that it's really a slice of life! No wonder it was so popular cos the families' angst and growing pains were so relatable... 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ryurbae said:

No worries, just want to enlighten you because of your previous post regarding RJY's real life personality and your comparison to Junghwan.  

No worries back at ya. 

To be clear, I am not talking about RJY's personality. I know nothing about him or his personality. As I's stated I care about actor's creative product but not their day to day lives and I would never imagine that I know what his personality is like. Even if I were interested enough to "follow him" all I would know is his public personae.

So,

I was commenting on his actions as reported by his fanbase in the forum. And interpreting those actions as helpful. 

I do have opinions on JH's personality, but not RJY's.  To me that is a very important distinction.

• Like 2