[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

1 minute ago, gangurhar said:

If this ends in a tragedy I'm booking a ticket to Korea to find KES and sob at her front door. I will be so heartbroken if anyone dies. These characters have touched my heart so much and I feel so protective of them. :tears:

SJK SHK YJ KJW please tell us if it's somewhat happy!! Say something please we are going crazy

And I'm coming with you...will be bringing industrial sized boxes of tissues. :tears:

• Like 19

Hello!!!

Just dropping by after watching eps 5 and 6. All I can say is DOTS IS A MASTERPIECE!!!! Salute to the writer, crew, cast, and especially SJK and SHK!!! It's rare that I cried due to a drama, and ep 6 hit me right in the spot!!! Bravo!!! Can't wait for next week!!! :D:D:D 

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, hana143 said:

I really hope it is D...(C is not bad too)  Along the way, we might see KMY will be exposed to danger, YSJ might think of letting KMY go... they might be separated again for a while.... but still, I have a strong instinct that in the end, they will end up together with YSJ will be no longer with alpha team, instead, become one of a high rank officer which demand him to work in the office rather working in the field, fighting and KMY will open her own clinic.

I couldn't imagine if the ending is A or B... If it is, it will haunt me like forever... 

I think KMY will eventually get really hurt or shot and SJ will push her away, but she won't give up on him after she's already gone through so much to get him.  But I can't imagine SJ working in an office right now.  I think later in life, but right now he enjoys being on the field and out helping people. I hope he takes a LESS dangerous job, but I do think he really loves what he does.  Leaving Team Alpha, but still being out helping would  be good. 

I also wonder what MY's actual dreams are.  I know she said she wanted to open a clinic, but in the end I doubt she's going to open a fancy clinic in Seoul like she probably first thought..  I could see MY opening clinics to help the less fortunate and maybe them traveling together helping others maybe. He works, but comes home and she's busy so while she misses him, she waits for his return.  

• Like 17

@stargazer187 I almost died with the second picture! LOLOLOL!

That's hands down the best and funniest scene in the entire episode, and probably the series.

I LOVED the part where Shi-jin said something about him also wanting revenge against his 'evil' instructor telling Dae-young they should fight it out. The expression of disbelief on Dae-young's face was priceless, I think that for a very short moment he thought Shi-jin was serious...but of course Shi-jin wouldn't fight with his bestie...after all, all he's got from his time at the MA are happy memories! As expected of him...he only remembers the good, probably that's his main coping mechanism.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, gangurhar said:

Instead of KMY getting hurt I see YSJ getting hurt and KMY being forced to operate on him. I think that would be more meaningful plot wise. 

I was just thinking the exact same thing, I think we're going to see something like that in the next two episodes.

I think the 7th episode is going to start off with a rescue operation for the trapped workers under the rubble. I think SJ and MY will both end up going inside and realise that they have to choose which of the trapped workers to make their immediate priority. SJ will then go in to make a last ditch effort to save the person left behind which is when the aftershock will happen causing the structure to collapse further. Which is when we'll see DY go in , MJ attempting to make contact and MY crying. SJ will be injured and it'll be MY nursing him back to health. So giving them an opportunity to re-connect.

• Like 18

Agree with many of you about Myung Joo's father! :D 

Any father out there would want the best for their children; Lt Gen Yoon is no exception. Like some of you have mentioned before, it's like a chaebol love story but military ranks version. The main reason why Lt Gen Yoon chooses/prefer SJ over DY is because SJ has the potential of promoting to higher ranks in the future, and this way it can 'match' MJ's rank. She's already a first lieutenant now and of course she'll be promoted in the future. So to Lt Gen Yoon, the 'rank-gap' between MJ and DY is too far, and will be further next time.

Although it wasn't mentioned in the drama about their educational levels, but from some of their lines, we can infer that DY probably only had graduated from high school or even lower, since he sort of joined gangs when he was young before entering the army. And looking at SJ who's already a captain, we can deduce that he'd got a collage degree, and his promotions will be through years of experience as time passes.

So poor DY, seems like he will be stuck at being a sergeant major due to his educational level. In ep6 we also got to know that SJ once trained under DY, but look at their rank differences now! Sometimes military is as realistic as the working society about these kind of things, hahaha. The talk DY had with Lt Gen Yoon in ep5 was very well said, I believe Lt Gen Yoon knows how great a man and soldier DY is and how much he loves MJ. Seeing how SJ's dad isn't as super high ranked officer, we know LTG Yoon is choosing his future son-in-law based on their future career. Now I just wish he would get rid of his mindset of these military hierarchy and let the 2 of them be together... before more angst comes in! :(

As much as I love the songsong couple, I can't help but ship DY x MJ hard as well, they're too cute together even though they are 12 years apart in real life! :wub: (oh and I ship our bromance couple too this drama's couples are all so shippable!)

Why is it only Friday??? When is Wednesday coming.....?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Asma Trimèch said:

he is really a real soldier !! when KMY asked him why did u become a soldier  his answer gave me goosebumps !! "because someone has to be" !! that is the perfect answer of someone with a big heart who is ready to give up his life in order to make peace and save others !! 

@Asma Trimèch when you said that expression gave you "goosebumps", i love the whole conversation.  The meaning of "patriotism" from his point of view now make me understand more that all of us can be patriotic in our own way ... One doesn't need to be a soldier to be patriotic.  

How inspiring... it gives more meaning to the work that I'm doing. ;) 

p.s KBS Drama is showing all the episodes at the moment. Rewatching it again and again.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, melissala said:

@amvondo  Viki subs aren't bad, but they usually take some time to edit.  If you watch when they first come out there are usually mistakes that are later corrected.  They work fast. 

And I don't know why I can't stop listening to You Are My Everything.  Like I didn't hear it enough in the drama already. :P 

Hello @melissala,

and thank you for your response. I am a Viki's subscriber, and yes, I too have noticed that their first subs are not always the accurate ones. When I rewatch later, some of the subs (lines) are different. And also yes, depending on how popular the drama is, it gets subbed fast, (Heirs, MLFTS, etc...) and so far, DotS has been done by 5pm (US Pacific time), when it has been originally posted/uploaded around 6:50am the same day. Other (less popular) dramas can take longer to be subbed.

About the YAME song, I TOTALLY hear you: I LOVE that song!!!! as well. I have rewatched parts of episode 1 (or 2), and noticed that the song was already playing there. It IS a really beautiful song, and I love Gummy's voice there. I was cooking on Wednesday, and I kept replaying the song on my phone while I was cooking, so I agree with you. I also love the lyrics, I feel that they reflect how Shi-jin feels about Mo-yeon, imho.

You mentioned that Viki's subs are not bad, so do you think they could be better? Do you speak and understand Korean (so you can see the differences in the nuances)? I speak other languages (besides English), and I have found that I do not always agree with some of the subs in French on Viki. Nice talking to you :-)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, gangurhar said:

Instead of KMY getting hurt I see YSJ getting hurt and KMY being forced to operate on him. I think that would be more meaningful plot wise. 

I think both would be good, but I feel SJ will be fine now, but they just lost communication.  The near death experience will be enough to move her into action without him actually being (badly) hurt, and coming home to her mostly fine will reassure her move than him coming back nearly dead right now.  After the rescue, they'll move on to the  clean up and then we move into the main plot.  That's when I figure all the danger comes MY's way (as we already know) because of her association with SJ.  The bad guy's voice over also mentions it being bad to hang around with a guy with a gun, so I think eventually that will come true. 

I'd freaking love SJ being hurt and MY nursing back to health though.  He'd demand so much attention, and be super flirty and could get his way easily since she's be worried about him.  :P  So, sorry SJ I hope you are at least a little hurt.  

• Like 15

So, who else is just in love with this drama? Now, I know there have been some complaints about the pace of the lead OTP, but there are so many right things, we can bend on that one.

1) I love that there is no triangle. Our OTP is firmly established. Second-lead couple is firmly established. There are even a few side couples. I love that! We can focus on each without there being some dramatic push and pull from another person.

2) I love that the lead heroine is a strong character. She's independent, honest, flawed, and an excellent doctor. I can't stand when the heroine is naive, stupid, clueless, etc.

3) The lead male is all types of awesomeness! Yes, he likes to break the rules and take risks. But SJK has brought so much depth to this role. YSJ is badass, but he is also vulnerable, honest and sincere. *Swoons*

4) The second female lead is also strong. I wasn't sure how to feel about her at first. But, once I realized her heart was with Sergeant Seo and she was not allowed to date him because of her dad, I was on board. I love that she hasn't settled for being some rich doctor in Gangnam, but would rather gain stripes in the military. I also love how she hasn't given up on the man she loves and has made it her business to remind him not to do so as well.

5) I adore the bromance between our lead males. These two would die for each other, and get into loads of mischief together if the situation calls for it. Their bromance makes the drama even more interesting.

With all of this going, it is no wonder DOTS has record-breaking ratings right now in Korea! Now, I know people were feeling some type of way about KMJ not giving in to YSJ yet. But, we've only had 6 episodes, normally by now the leads haven't even decided to like each other yet. They have already moved pretty quickly. They've had three failed dates due to their jobs. They have literally romanced in two different parts of the world. They have been brutally honest with each other, fought, and worried for each other. That is a LOT people. Let's not be too greedy. After all, they both have jobs that they often have to put before their own personal interests. We just have to be patient and enjoy the sizzling chemistry along the way.

Not to mention, it is very much a cultural thing. Yes, many of us would've ran into Commander Yoo's arms by now, although we wouldn't be able to run off into the sunset together, because duty calls. But, SHJ's popularity is ridiculous in Korea right now because of her portrayal of KMY. That is just how things are done there, and we have to respect that, no matter what corner of the world we come from. In the end, they will be together, it is inevitable at this point, we don't have to rush it along.

I just thought I would peek into the thread and offer my three cents. Loving this drama a whole bunch right now. Enjoy it chingus, these weeks are going  by fast. :)

• Like 23

Guest Tinkiebell
42 minutes ago, melissala said:

I think KMY will eventually get really hurt or shot and SJ will push her away, but she won't give up on him after she's already gone through so much to get him.  But I can't imagine SJ working in an office right now.  I think later in life, but right now he enjoys being on the field and out helping people. I hope he takes a LESS dangerous job, but I do think he really loves what he does.  Leaving Team Alpha, but still being out helping would  be good. 

I also wonder what MY's actual dreams are.  I know she said she wanted to open a clinic, but in the end I doubt she's going to open a fancy clinic in Seoul like she probably first thought..  I could see MY opening clinics to help the less fortunate and maybe them traveling together helping others maybe. He works, but comes home and she's busy so while she misses him, she waits for his return.  

I really hope KES didn't go through this route in this drama's screenplay. I mean the part where SJ will push her away. We've seen SDY taking the typical noble idiocy route when it comes to his relationship with YMJ. So I'm honestly going to be annoyed if the main couple has to go through that route as well. Besides, I think we've established a good rapport about this drama being unique and groundbreaking enough (at least in execution), that it shouldn't have to go through all the typicalities in plot that the K-drama land has to offer. 

KMY will probably (or most likely) get hurt, but if that happens, at that point, I think their love should be strong enough to overcome that hurdle. If anything, I think her being hurt should only deepen and tighten their bonds, not loosen it. 

23 minutes ago, nataliakay said:

Is it possible to share pics in here straight from you phone's gallery? If yes how?

@nataliakay, no, it's not possible to do that. You will have to upload your picture from your phone's gallery to an image hosting site first, and then insert the image here from the url generated by that image hosting site. 

@Tinkiebell  I hope not too, but I can see her totally doing it as a final obstacle between the two. They don't have parents or status keeping them apart, but only themselves right now so I wonder how they'll progress.  But we already have one noble idiot couple, we don't need two and a repeat of a tired plot line.  SJ and MY have such good communication and are so honest, my hope is that they will talk about the problem instead of just ignoring it and running away.  The danger they go through should make them closer, and not tear them apart.  If SJ does go through a moment of doubt, I don't expect it to last long though.  

• Like 9

@sanaeozora: yeah totally, i hope DY would take action starting next episode too. as much as i like the lead couple, i would like DY to sort things with her father and just be happy with her. But, i guess, it's hard being a soldier to ignore order from your superior. T.T I also agree with @Kỳ Thần Đỗ, i think he actually like DY as he loves his daughter so much. Its just a father that is concerned about his daughter's future :) I hope my prediction is true but i think he's kinda selfish too. He's sending him back to find his daughter and he pretend he doesnt need to know where his daughter is. :phew:

Edited by finickyfray
  • Like 4