Im Si Wan 임시완

sky5joyous

April 28, 2017

Cannes-bound Korean film to open in France in June

SEOUL, April 28 (Yonhap) -- The domestic crime-action flick "The Merciless" will open in French theaters on June 28, the film's production company said on Friday.

The film starring Seol Kyung-gu and Im Si-wan is to premiere in the Midnight Screening, an out-of-competition slot in the 70th Cannes Film Festival set to open on May 17.

"The international attention for 'The Merciless' has increased explosively since it received an invitation from Cannes," a CJ E&M official said.

The French distributor ARP that has previously distributed three Korean films, including director Yeon Sang-ho's "Train to Busan" (2016), will be in charge of the new film's release.

Directed by Byun Sung-hyun, "The Merciless" portrays the friendship and betrayal between Jae-ho (Seol Kyung-gu) plotting to become the leader of an organized crime ring after being released from prison and the organization's fearless and ebullient newcomer Hyeon-su (Im Si-wan). The two meet behind bars and work together after their release.

The movie is set to open in South Korean theaters within next month.

This is a promotional poster for "The Merciless" provided by CJ E&M. (Yonhap)

This is a promotional poster for "The Merciless" provided by CJ E&M. (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

On 4/24/2017 at 10:11 PM, sky5joyous said:

Hi sky5joyous, thanks for sharing this clip.  I read that ISW would attend the Cannes Film Festival for his recent film “The Merciless”. The movie was selected by the 70th Cannes Film Festival for a midnight screening in the non-competitive division. I know that he's currently busy filming his drama but a source from CJ, who is distributing the film, said that “Im Siwan will be going to Cannes. But the details of his schedule have not yet been worked out. I guess this will be his first time to attend the Cannes Film Festival. I'm sure he's excited. Can't wait for this movie to premiere in theaters in Korea on May 18. :lol:

May 3, 2017

‘Merciless’ a bromance with style
Cannes-bound crime flick unsettles with startling twists

Style was what director Byun Sung-hyun wanted to focus on when filming “The Merciless,” which has been invited to the midnight category at the 70th Cannes Film Festival, taking place from May 17-28.

“The reason I paid so much attention to mise-en-scene is because in Korean cinema in recent years, there have been, and there will continue to be, so many crime movies led by two male characters,” said Byun at a press preview of the film in Wangsimni, Seoul, Tuesday. 

“I wanted to differentiate my film through style.”

Meticulous camerawork is prominent in the director’s snazzy piece, starring veteran actor Seol Kyung-gu (“Lucid Dream,” 2017) as criminal gang leader Han Jae-ho and Im Si-wan (“One Line,” 2016) as the reckless young delinquent Jo Hyun-soo.

Scenes are shot from the perspective of the characters as they lie on the floor after being shot, or kidnapped and stifled with a bag over the head. The lens peers down from the sky into a red convertible where the characters sit, at one point in ecstasy and at another in a painful stupor. Violence is depicted in flat pictures, created through the use of walls and symmetry. 

“I worked very closely with the art director,” said Byun. “Instead of writing the plot separately, we had lengthy discussions and I would say what kind of spaces I wanted.” 

The film dashes back and forth in time tracing the two characters as they meet in prison, team up after their release to smuggle drugs, and are followed by a covert police operation that is revealed in the most sudden of twists.

“The highlight of an undercover movie is the anxiety of whether (the undercover character) will get caught or not,” said Byun. ”But I decided to skip that part.” 

A still from “The Merciless” features Im Si-wan (left) and Seol Kyung-gu. (Hohoho Beach)

Jeon Hye-jin plays the detective in charge, a charismatic female figure who chases criminals. 

Seol plays the role of Jae-ho with a gusto reminiscent of the actor’s 2000s heyday, infusing the maniacal drug smuggler with pathos. Jae-ho stares at his victims in the eyes when murdering them and lets out a high-pitched cackle, but manages to remain intensely human. 

He first sees Hyun-soo pummeling an opponent twice his size in a prison cafeteria brawl, and enjoying himself in the process. Thinking the reckless young inmate to be as psychopathic as himself, Jae-ho naturally approaches him. 

The criminal Hyun-soo is vulnerable, intelligent and multifariously portrayed by actor Im. The two characters begin a criminal partnership that is at times precarious and at times almost heartfelt, based on both suspicion and a yearning to trust one another. 

Seol Kyung-gu (left) and Im Si-wan attend the press preview of “The Merciless” at CGV Wangsimni in Seoul on Tuesday. (Hohoho Beach)

Though packaged as a prison crime action flick, the film’s heart is in the relationship between the two characters. Director Byun went so far as to call it not just a “bromance,” but an actual romance. 

“I kept telling the actors during filming that this is a romance, more melodrama than noir.” 

A Seoul Institute of Arts graduate, director Byun’s focus so far has been Korea’s youth lifestyle and culture. His films include 2010 hip-hop-themed “The Beat Goes On” and 2012 romantic comedy “Watcha Wearin’?” 

“The Merciless” additionally stars Kim Hee-won, who will be attending the Cannes festival along with Seol and director Byun. It remains to be seen whether Im will be able to leave the country to attend the event due to his yet unserved military obligations.

The film will open in local theaters May 18.

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

May 7, 2017

(Movie Review) 'The Merciless': visually lush, short on script

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, May 7 (Yonhap) -- Jae-ho is a merciless underboss in a crime ring who trusts nobody. Hyeon-su is an undercover officer who has no one to depend on since his mother died. They meet in a prison, open their minds to each other and survive crises together while not knowing of a deadly catastrophe approaching.

The crime-action film "The Merciless" definitely draws comparisons with other undercover movies like the 1997 American film "Donnie Brasco," the 2002 Hong Kong movie "Internal Affairs" and the 2012 Korean film "New World." They derive much of their appeal from suspenseful moments in which the protagonist narrowly escapes fatal exposure.

While not short of that kind of tension, however, "The Merciless" focuses rather on the weird symbiotic relationship between two men who call themselves "abandoned bastards." In fact, the cop's identity is revealed at an early stage, which can hardly be called a spoiler.

This still cut provided by CJ Entertainment shows actor Im Si-wan as Hyeon-su in "The Merciless." (Yonhap)

This still cut provided by CJ Entertainment shows actor Im Si-wan as Hyeon-su in "The Merciless." (Yonhap)

Jae-ho (Seol Kyung-gu) is a callous No. 2 man in a drug trafficking ring which is based in the southeastern city of Busan and stretches out to Russia. In prison, he yields regal power, having even detention officers under his control. He believes in nobody because of his rough childhood, and such wariness enables him to survive in the tough criminal world.

To him, the presence of Hyeon-su (Im Si-wan) poses a new test. After Hyeon-su saves his life from a knife attack, Jae-ho begins to develop trust in others for the first time.

Hyeon-su, a young and fearless detective, infiltrates Jae-ho's group, which operates under the cover of a trading company. The two guys then develop an endearing "bromance" with each other while working together. But they find out each other's hidden ambitions and their relationship begins to crack.

This still cut provided by CJ Entertainment shows actors Im Si-wan (L) as Hyeon-su and Seol Kyung-gu (R) as Jae-ho in "The Merciless." (Yonhap)

This still cut provided by CJ Entertainment shows actors Im Si-wan (L) as Hyeon-su and Seol Kyung-gu (R) as Jae-ho in "The Merciless." (Yonhap)

This still cut provided by CJ Entertainment shows actor Seol Kyung-gu as Jae-ho in "The Merciless." (Yonhap)

This still cut provided by CJ Entertainment shows actor Seol Kyung-gu as Jae-ho in "The Merciless." (Yonhap)

As its writer-director Byun Sung-hyun said in press events, the movie is an action noir in a style that has not been seen in Korean cinema before.

It features some characterful comic book style jail and action sequences and awesome visual impacts from the use of varied colors. For instance, the contrast between a vivid red-colored sports car parked outside the prison and its wild and exotic landscape gives the impression that the film is set somewhere that never existed in the real world.

Nonetheless, its cross-cutting between the present and the past feels superfluous. This can create confusion among some audiences, at best.

And the whole plot point of the undercover police officer quitting his job to become a freshman thug makes the overall story a bit hard to swallow, because the audience doesn't know what's happening in his mind simply based on what is shown on the screen.

sshim@yna.co.kr

May 9, 2017

Reasons for going to Cannes, "The Merciless"

Source: The Fact via Hancinema.net

photo847336.jpg

"TF Review" analyzes shows, movies, dramas and entertainment shows in five different perspectives. It delivers necessary information and tries to get friendlier with the viewers.

Numerous Korean movies have been invited to the 70th Cannes International Film Festival. Bong Joon-ho's "Okja" and Hong Sang-soo's "The Day After - 2017" are in competition.

In the non-competitive division are; Hong Sang-soo's "Claire's Camera" in Special Screening and Jeong Byeong-gil's "The Villainess" in Midnight Screening. Director Byeon Seong-heon's "The Merciless" is being released on the 18th this month and it's also categorized into Midnight Screening.

The Fact took a look at "The Merciless".

- The story is rich in taste

"The Merciless" is about the friendship between Jae-ho (Sul Kyung-gu) and Hyeon-soo (Si Wan) who meet in prison. Jae-ho who is exclusively in charge of the cigarette business in prison, voluntarily offers gangster Kim Seong-han (Heo Joon-ho) half of his business.

However, Kim Seong-han refuses his offer and Jae-ho gets beaten up. Hyeon-soo saves Jae-ho from being stabbed and they become friends until new truths about each other start to surface.

"The Merciless" has many turning points as Byun Sung-Hyun opens up everything towards the middle after being so secretive in the beginning. He completely ignores the stereotype that the biggest turning points come in the end. He unravels the story from the middle but never loses the balance of the movie. He also doesn't put a single spoiler in here for the audiences.

photo847337.jpg

- Sul Kyung-gu's well-suiting role

Actor Sul Kyung-gu hasn't had much luck with roles. He recorded 102,100 audiences in "Lucid Dream", "The Long Way Home" 609,000 and "My Dictator" 386,000. Even the movie "Hope" from four years ago recorded only 2.7 million.

The number of audience doesn't lead to literary value or the quality of an actor but it does lead to the overall review.

However, "The Merciless" might turn over a new leaf for Sul Kyung-gu. He is outstanding in the role of Jae-ho who has a strong will power to live, looks at Hyeon-soo in a gentle way and doesn't trust anyone.

- The cast

Sul Kyung-gu and Si Wan are the two sides of the movie. Si Wan is no longer known as ZE:A - Children of Empire Si Wan but 'actor' Si Wan.

Kim Hee-won, Lee Kyeong-yeong, Jeon Hye-jin, Heo Joon-ho, Kim Seong-oh and others make up a powerful cast that will lead the movie down the right path.

photo847338.jpg

- Director Byun Sung-Hyun, beyond imagination

Story, performance and direction makes up a good movie and that is exactly what "The Merciless" is. The director brings up engagement to 120%. In the movie, Si Wan is taken somewhere with a bag over his head but the camera views this scene from Si Wan's point of view, inside the bag.

The dull voices coming from around him and the petrol that's dumped on Si Wan's head is very realistic. Not only that, the director uses different colors and filters for every scene so that the audience can easily understand the psychological and space changes in the character.

- Undercover but perfect for the taste of the audience

"The Merciless" is an undercover movie. 'Undercover' means spy activities by the police or government. One good example of an undercover movie is "The New World". However, the emotion of "The Merciless" doesn't make the undercover theme seem uncomfortable.

There might be people who say, "Another undercover movie?" However, in "The Merciless" it's hard to tell who's the good or bad guy.

Im Siwan Explains How Distressing Acting Used To Be And Confesses Feelings Around Enlistment

Im-Siwan.png

Actor Im Siwan recently shared how he has finally realized how much fun acting is. However, as he is set to enlist in the army this year, he also has some worries as he looks ahead.

On May 11, an interview was conducted in a cafe with Im Siwan regarding his upcoming movie, “The Merciless” (working title).

Im Siwan said that “The Merciless” is “the work that gave me the least stress while filming. It made me realize that acting can be enjoyable, too.” When asked whether acting was distressing to him before this, he replied, “Before that, filming was a time of endurance.”

He said, “I hadn’t had the chance to do acting where I say lines that might be said in everyday life. Through this work, I got the chance to try acting in a more natural, everyday setting.”

When addressing his mandatory military enlistment, he was asked, “Do you have any concerns about the upcoming hiatus?” and he replied, “I do worry whether I’ll lose my feel for acting. I’m half worried but also half excited to start anew.”

He also laughed and said, “Sol Kyung Gu keeps teasing me about the military service, and it’s true that I have to go first. He won’t tease me anymore after that, right?” He added, “I am planning to enlist sometime this year, but that’s up to the Department of National Defence to decide.”

Meanwhile, “The Merciless” tells the story of loyalty and betrayal between Jae Ho, who is aiming to become the best criminal gang, and a newcomer named Hyun Su. The film was invited to the 70th Cannes Film Festival for the midnight screening category. The movie is set to open on May 17.

Source (1) / soompi news

*** Siwan is good-looking. :lol:

YoonA and Siwan spotted on a forest date in more still cuts from 'The King Loves'

YoonA-Siwan.jpg

Girls' Generation's YoonA and Siwan were spotted on a forest date in more still cuts from their upcoming MBC drama, 'The King Loves'!

The drama will be 100% pre-filmed and is based on a fictional novel of the same name. Siwan plays the role of Wang Won, while YoonA plays the role of Eun San, and the two can be seen alone in a green forest, exchanging eye contact as well as walking side by side in elegant, traditional robes. 

What do you think the two could be talking about? 'The King Loves' has yet to confirm an airing date, but it will be some time in the middle of 2017. 

Siwan_1494552154_2017051200708_0.jpg

source : allkpop

May 13, 2017

(Yonhap Interview) Boy band ZE:A's Im Si-wan: 'I'm more of an actor now'

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, May 13 (Yonhap) -- Singer-actor Im Si-wan of the now dormant K-pop boy band ZE:A is an up-and-coming talent in Korean cinema.

Im is best known for playing Jin-woo in the film "The Attorney" (2013) and the lead in the cable TV series "Misaeng (Incomplete Life)" (2014), which were both successful in the box office and ratings. He was recently invited to a out-of-competition category of this year's Cannes Film Festival as a co-star of the new crime-action film "The Merciless."

"I made an acting debut with the television series 'The Moon that Embraces the Sun' and felt that acting fits my aptitude quite well. Before, I just vaguely longed for acting," Im said during a round table interview with the Korean press for "The Merciless" on Friday.

This photo provided by CJ Entertainment shows actor Im Si-wan. (Yonhap)

"After finishing the drama I thought I'd like to do more acting if there is any chance. And I've got many good opportunities so far, fortunately."

He was also lucky enough to work with many veteran actors who are far older than him like Song Kang-ho in "The Attorney", Lee Sung-min in "Misaeng" and Seol Kyung-gu in "The Merciless."

"It was a great honor to work with those great actors. I think I grew a lot from this," Im said.

His character in the new Korean film was Hyeon-su, a policeman who goes undercover in jail to investigate a large-scale drug trafficking ring.

His mission is to get close to Jae-ho, an underboss of the criminal organization played by Seol, who was serving his prison term. Together they come to work for the organization after leaving prison, but their relationship begins to crack as they discover secrets about each other.

The 28-year-old actor shook off his upright image to widen his spectrum of acting to the fearless tough guy.

"It was so cool that I did not have to pretend to be good on screen. I felt like I slipped off a layer of my skin."

Five years into his acting career he is recognized more as an actor than a singer in the public eye.

That's also partly because his idol group ZE:A, which was formed in 2010, has been dormant for years, with three of its nine members in the Army and the rest focusing on individual activities. Im is also expected to enter the Army in a few months. All able-bodied Korean men are required to complete about 20 months of military service before the age of 35 in South Korea.

"I think reassembling entirely will take at least several years because members need to go to the Army."

Im said he still wants to continue his singing career despite his newfound success in acting.

"I'd like to release a single album, sing soundtracks for dramas and hold a fan meeting if time permits. But I'm not sure if I can afford time to do them."

These days, he is busy filming the new MBC TV historical drama "The King Loves" set to go on air in July. His character is Wang Won, a crown prince of the early Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392).

With the filming of seven of the series' 20 episodes remaining, Im said he might not be able to walk on the red carpet of the 70th Cannes Film Festival that opens next week because of his tight schedule.

He showed high expectations for the film's forthcoming screening in Cannes.

"I didn't know exactly about Cannes except that it's one of the three largest film festivals in the world. I wonder what kind of turning point in my life it would be that I appeared in a Cannes-bound film."

Directed by Byun Sung-hyun, "The Merciless" is to open in local theaters next Thursday.

sshim@yna.co.kr

May 14, 2017

[Herald Interview] Im Si-wan didn’t know how dark he could go

The K-pop singer-turned-actor says his uncanny talent and remarkable filmography are not results of calculation 

Im Si-wan is among the few Korean entertainers who have completed their transition from K-pop singer into actor, but the 28-year-old is careful not to overestimate himself or his sensibilities.

The fact that his latest film, the upcoming crime flick “The Merciless (Bul Han Dang),” is set to screen at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival still feels surreal to him, the actor said in an interview at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, Seoul last Thursday. 

“I’m not sure what to expect,” said Im, whose attendance at the festival, taking place from May 17-28, is still undecided due to his yet unfulfilled military obligations. 

Im Si-wan poses for a photo before an interview at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, Seoul, Thursday. (Hohoho Beach)

“If I were to go, I’d like to soak in the atmosphere of (Cannes) while drinking a glass of beer at a terrace cafe,” said Im. “I’ll make sure to follow around (Seol Kyung-gu) everywhere,” he said, referring to his castmate in “The Merciless” who has had four films screened at Cannes throughout his 24-year career. 

Im had not occupied a strong presence during his prior activities as a member of the K-pop band Z:EA, though he still harbors a fondness for singing ? ballads in particular. 

But when Im first began acting in a supporting role in the 2012 period series “Moon Embracing the Sun,” he gained a following of fans and widespread approval for his talent. After more supporting roles in series such as “Man from the Equator” and “Waiting for Love,” and films such as “The Attorney,” Im came into explosive popularity with the 2014 hit office drama “Misaeng.”

Through his quiet, moving portrayal of the newbie office worker Jang Geu-rae, Im was cemented in viewers’ minds as an actor. The character soon became the symbol of the struggling modern Korean youth in the workplace, up against discrimination and hierarchy.

Recently, it seems the actor has been veering away from such wholesome roles into more roguish territory, marked by last year’s crime flick “One Line,” in which Im portrayed a near-genius bank scammer. 

In “The Merciless,” Im becomes almost recognizable as a delinquent-slash-undercover cop who digs deep into a drug smuggling operation. Im’s new character Jo Hyun-soo is fearless -- he gleefully engages in prison fights and holds a gun up to a gangster’s forehead -- but also naive and vulnerable. The film traces Hyun-soo’s as he evolves through a voyage into darkness and cruelty.

“I didn’t know if I had the emotional sensibility to take on the role,” said Im. “When I first read the script, I thought it was so entertaining, the kind of film I would go see at the movies even if I weren’t in it. But I didn’t know if I had the capacity to take it on.”

Not having suffered through devastating hardships in life, Im did not know if he could effectively follow Hyun-soo’s dark transformation, he said. 

“I kept wondering, maybe if I could get this role when I’m a few years older, I could do a better job. 

“But (director Byun Sung-hyun) told me not to force myself to appear darker or more tortured. He told me to show a lighter, happier Hyun-soo at the beginning. That helped a lot, and filming (“The Merciless”) offered one of the most fun releases I’ve experienced on set.” 

The pivot from his upright image to the criminal underworld in his latest films was not planned, Im said. “It’s not calculated. I really wanted to portray this character well and that led to a new type of image. 

Im Si-wan poses for a photo before an interview at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, Seoul, Thursday. (Hohoho Beach)

“When I’m acting, I’m busy enough trying to follow the scenario. I don’t consciously think, ‘I’m going to pull out these sides of myself in this character.’”

Im’s decision to play Hyun-soo was based on an attraction to the dialogue, rather than the image of the character, he said. “It wasn’t because he was a ‘good’ or ‘bad’ character. I liked his lines. They aren’t charged with meaning. They’re everyday phrases that he just throws out. It felt liberating.” 

The actor also says he researches few references when it comes to embodying a character. “I become very absorbed in the character at hand,” he said, recalling his numerous late-night phone calls to director Byun to discuss the scenario.

Im is still anxious that viewers see him as much more capable than he really is. “In order for all of (this success) to be meaningful, I think I still have to wait and mature a few years,” he said. “I used to worry about how the real Im Si-wan could live up to the fantasy (that people have created) of Im Si-wan.”

The past few years have been a process of overcoming the pressure and learning to enjoy the film set, he said. 

“I’ve decided to enjoy the good responses for the moment,” he said. “And that’s what I will do if I am able to go to Cannes this year. But I still worry that I might have exhausted all of my luck during the early part of (my life). I hope there is some left for later.”

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

ZE:A’s Im Si Wan Talks About His ‘Dark’ Side, Being Overestimated And Attending Cannes

From an idol singer to an in-demand actor, Im Si Wan continues to move forward.

South Korean singer and actor Im Si Wan  opened up on acting ‘darker roles’, people’s overestimation of his capabilities and being invited to the prestigious Cannes Film Festival in an exclusive interview with Korean press on May 12.

“I made an acting debut with the television series ‘The Moon that Embraces the Sun’ and felt that acting fits my aptitude quite well,” the 28-year-old singer and actor said. He also revealed that prior to his acting debut, he vaguely longed to follow a path in acting.

Si-Wan-4.jpg?w=499

Im plays the young version of Heo Yeom, a high ranking official who is the brother of Heo Yeon Woo (played by Han Ga In) and the tutor of Lee Hwon (played by Kim Soo Hyun). Actor Song Jae Hee played the older version of Im’s character.

His experience in ‘The Moon that Embraces the Sun’ in 2012 planted a greed of acting in the 28-year-old singer and actor. “After finishing the drama, I thought I’d like to do more acting if there is any chance. Fortunately, I’ve got many good opportunities so far,” he said.

Later that year, Im was cast in revenge drama ‘Man from the Equator’. This was immediately followed by the sitcom ‘Standby’, which he played the character of a high school student. 2013 saw the singer and actor partnering with fellow singer BoA in ‘Waiting for Love’.

Si-Wan-3.jpg?w=500

Spoiler

Rise to Fame with ‘The Attorney’ and ‘Misaeng’

However, it was through the 2013 box-office hit courtroom drama film, ‘The Attorney’ that Im solidified his status as an actor. His portrayal as young student activist Park Jin Woo earned him acting nominations from Baeksang Arts Awards, Grand Bell Awards and Blue Dragon Film Awards. He also won the Best New Actor at the Max Movie Awards and the Marie Claire Film Festival.

He then reprised his role in the film ‘Incomplete Life: Prequel’ as a former baduk player and newbie office worker Jang Geu Rae through cable drama hit ‘Misaeng’. The drama was a commercial hit, recording high viewership ratings. It also cemented Im’s status as an actor. He won an Excellence Award in acting at the 4th APAN Star Awards and Best New Actor Awards from the Cable TV Broadcasting Awards and Baeksang.

Im Si Wan

(Photo by Hohoho Beach)

Through his acting projects, the singer-actor has the opportunities to work with veteran actors such as Song Kang Ho, Lee Sung Min, and now Seol Kyung Gu in ‘The Merciless’. “It was a great honor to work with those great actors and I think I grew a lot from this,” he said.

A “Darker” Im Si Wan

In ‘The Merciless’, Im plays fearless undercover cop Jo Hyun Soo. He admitted that he did not have the confidence to play the role at first. “I didn’t know if I had the emotional sensibility to take on the role,” he said.

“When I first read the script, I thought it was so entertaining, the kind of film I would go see at the movies even if I aren’t in it. But I didn’t know if I had the capacity to take it on,” he added.

His role in the film has veered Im away from the wholesome roles and moving towards into more roguish territory, which he began in last year’s ‘One Line’.

“It was so cool that I did not have to pretend to be good on screen. I felt like I slipped off a layer of my skin,” he said.

Im Si Wan

(Photo by Hohoho Beach)

He revealed that ‘The Merciless’ director Byun Sung Hyun helped him a lot in adapting to his role. “He told me not to force myself to appear darker or more tortured but to show a lighter, happier Hyun-soo at the beginning,” he recounted. The director’s advice, according to Im, helped him a lot. “Filming ‘The Merciless’ offered one of the most fun releases I’ve experienced on set,” he said.

Im added that the transition was unplanned and not calculated. “I really wanted to portray this character well and that led to a new type of image,” he said. He added that he does not consciously think of showing sides of himself in a character. “When I’m acting, I’m busy enough trying to follow the scenario.”

He also revealed that Hyun Soo’s lines attracted him to take on the role. According to him, Hyun Soo’s lines are not charged with meaning but everyday phrases which felt “liberating”.

‘Overestimation’ and Cannes

The acting success he is currently enjoying, is also pressuring, according to Im, as he worries that viewers might be overestimating his capabilities as an actor. “In order for all these successes to be meaningful, I think I still have to wait and mature a few years,” he said.

“I used to worry about how the real Im Si Wan could live up to the fantasy that people have created of Im Si Wan,” he added. But his years in the industry has taught him to overcome the pressure and enjoy his craft. “I’ve decided to enjoy the good responses for the moment,” he said. “And that’s what I will do if I am able to go to Cannes this year.”

Im Si Wan

(Photo by CJ Entertainment)

‘The Merciless’ is set to be screened at the Cannes Film Festival, which Im still feels surreal. However, his attendance at the film festival remains undecided due to his upcoming drama ‘The King Loves’ and his unfulfilled military duty.

But if Im is to go, he will enjoy himself and soak in the atmosphere of the film festival. “I’ll make sure to follow around Seol Kyung Gu everywhere,” he said. Whether he attends or not, he is still showing high expectations in the film’s forthcoming screening at the film festival.

“I didn’t know exactly about Cannes except that it’s one of the three largest film festivals in the world. I wonder what kind of turning point in my life it would be that I appeared in a Cannes-bound film,” he said, remaining optimistic that his good luck might continue to prosper.

source : Hellokpop

Spoiler

May 15, 2017

[Interview] Si Wan, "From idol to actor, I wonder if this is the right path for me"

Source: MBN Star via Hancinema.net

photo848975.jpg

Actor Si Wan is back with "The Merciless". The cruelty behind the innocent face is unexpected and not only does he increase engagement, but he expnds his base as an actor.

"I look back on the path I've been and I'm surprised. I wonder if this is the right way for me. I have been in various dramas and movies and I wonder if I haven't used up all my luck at once. Still, I'm not worried because I'm thankful I got a lot of experience through them".

Si Wan debuted in 2010 with an idol group called ZE:A - Children of Empire. He then starred in the MBC drama "The Sun and the Moon" and started becoming noticeable. He then starred in the movie "The Attorney" and the drama "Incomplete Life".

"In "The Merciless", I felt more alive. There is a scene where we play flicking stones and I found myself concentrating so hard to win and it was fun filming the scene where I'm happy because I won. The old me would have prepared carefully for all this, but this time I realize I learned how to go with the flow and enjoy myself".

"The Merciless" was invited to the 70th Cannes International Film Festival for the Midnight Screening. Si Wan said, "Cannes is going to be a good experience, but I still can't fathom what's going on. I don't know what Cannes is going to influence in my life, but I'm excited for it".

Si Wan is off to National Service after the new MBC drama "The King Loves". He claims he feels like he hasn't done his homework for a long time.

"Going to the military is something I haven't experienced before, so I anticipate what kind of changes it will bring to me. I want to get it over with because it feels like homework I am yet to finish. I should get it done as quickly as possible".

Cannes International Film Festival 2017 preview, from Kim Min-hee to Si Wan

photo849482.jpg

The Cannes International Film Festival is one of the three greatest film festivals in the world and it opened its curtains on the 17th.

Five Korean movies are participating in the event and we took a look at stars who stepped on the Red Carpet.

First are director Hong Sang-soo and Kim Min-hee. Two of Hong's movies have been invited to Cannes so they participated in all events for two days together.

Kim Min-hee was at Cannes last year as well for "The Handmaiden". She won the Silver Bear and the Best Actress award in the 67th Berlin International Film Awards.

Kwon Hae-hyo and Jo Yoon-hee are at Cannes for Hong Sang-soo's "The Day After - 2017". French actress Isabelle Huppert will be there for Hong Sang-soo's "Claire's Camera".

photo849481.jpg

Many actors re-visited Cannes this year. Kim Ok-bin who was there in 2009 for "Thirst", returned with "The Villainess". Shin Ha-kyun also received the invite but he wasn't able to make it as he hurt his leg. Kim Ok-bin leaves for Cannes with director Jeong Byeong-gil, Seong Joon and Kim Seo-hyeong.

"The Merciless" is also going to be at Cannes. Sul Kyung-gu is re-visiting for the first time in 17 years.

Si Wan needed the Military Administration's permission to go to Cannes as he is about to join the military but he won't be making it for the Red Carpet. Details about his flight haven't come up yet but Song Ye-joo will be with him.

"Okja" director Bong Joon-ho and a few of the Hollywood actors as well as Korean actors Ahn Seo-hyun and Byeon Hee-bong will be on the Red Carpet.

This year's Cannes is going to be a plentiful one.

Source : star.mk.co.kr/new/vie...

Translation : Hancinema