[Drama 2014-2015] Seonam Girls High School Investigators 선암여고 탐정단

joojanah

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I basically squeal when Raon asked Chaeyool to stay by his side if she lost:) It looks like next week there will be lots of moments between them^^

High five. I did too. Although I want ACY and HA cute interactions I also want to know who the teacher supposedly killed. So many questions that need to be answered next episode.

Mi Do is my favorite character. I think I like her acting and am looking forward to following her growth as an actress. I hope she becomes a sought-after leading lady in her adulthood ^^ Or rather I can relate to her "stalking", her creation of a persona to win over chae yool's brother :D I wish I could be as thorough as her~
I also like her voice.

and I kinda liked hyeri's character for her slowness but she seemed nice. So is she really gonna fall for chae yool's brother (it was implied with those animated flowers)? knowing that her friend likes him? even if the friend is too cowardly to come forward.. still...not cool.

And if Mi Do sensed something was up at the pet cemetery, she really should have been more careful with the urn..now there's all that...ash on the floor. I say I like Mi Do, but I admit she really has no business in the client's case once the client cancelled. 

okay is it just me or all the "supposed " couples just a little bit werid ? like all the girls are in high school and the guys have all graduated ?

I think all the girls are freshman in highschool and the guys have all graduated from highschool

or are the girls juniors ?

does anyone know

Guest monaleesa

I actually signed up for soompi just so I can rant about this drama specifically because it makes me angry
First of all, @MeronA, yes, I think it is weird the girls are all in high school while the guys are much older. Chae-yool's big brother has even graduated college, so he must be at least 23. Also, in the drama they say the girls are 17, but that's I think their Korean age, no? Doesn't that make them more like 15 or 16 in Western age???
Also, I've came as far as the sixth ep, and I hate it how the girls handle the case of the pink bunny doll. They've been tasked with nothing but finding the doll for her. But now they've ended up prying on her private business that's none of their concern. Even worse, the three girls who go after their senior's boyfriend jump to baseless conclusions, and meddle in his affairs. They don't even know that guy, but Mi-do holds on to whoever or whatever ashes in the urn, and even spills them in the end! That is SO disrespectful!!!!!!!!! How they went after him and accused him of all sorts of things made me really angry. As I see it, I can't even think of a reason for the girls to think that, because apparently it was the ex-boyfriend who gave the girl the maternity clothes as a gift. So if he had forced her to get an abortion, why would he have done so? 
Oh, plus, I still don't understand the story about the biting man because the subtitles were so messed up: Someone here tried to clarify, that the biting man was hired by the literature teacher, but why then did the biting man call the principal on the phone. Doesn't that mean the principal lady hired him to bite the students??? Still very confused about that part.. Sorry.

Guest monaleesa

@**Bo$$ Jung**
Thanks a lot for explaining the Biting Man story. That was more complicated than expected! 
It probably makes sense to file their misbehavior and wrong conclusions under teenage rashness, and as intended by the show. Tbh, I thought those were holes in the story that were only left there to drive the plot. Oh well..

I don't intend to get drawn into trying to discuss this drama, because it's deeply wacky.  Though I prefer the sort of intentional all-out and all-round wackiness we're getting from this show to the maddening "comic relief" scenes so many Kdrama writers feel the need to stuff into otherwise interesting plots.

However, I just popped in to see if anyone has posted the rather important bit of info that's been flagged up in red on the JTBC website for a while now, namely

2/4부터 매주 수요일 밤 11시 방송!

Meaning "From Feb 4 this show will air on Wednesdays at 11 pm (KST)

So ep 8 is coming up on  the live stream a little later today, with raws likely to appear a day later than previously.

While I'm here, here's a quick translation of the text preview for ep 8

The detectives are devastated to discover their client Se Yoo in a hospital room after attempting suicide. Chae Yool is of the opinion that their investigations almost drove Se Yoo to her death, so they should stop them at once.

This brings her into conflict with Mi Do, who argues that the best thing they can do now is carry on looking for the rabbit doll.

Chae Yool finds that intolerable, and storms out of their meeting room.

Although this thread appears to be stone dead (not surprising in view of the way this drama is liable to leave people at a loss for words despite its strangely addictive quality) there's a potential health and safety issue in ep 8, so I decided to post this dire warning, especially, though not only, for Korean "genius" types of the schoolgirl-wowing variety.

DO NOT try playing one of these

gamba.jpg

By tucking it under your chin like this.

chin.jpg

The outcome certainly won't be melodious, and might even be fatal.

Strange guy, our "genius" big bro. He's able to identify a somewhat obscure French baroque composer from a snatch of a minor work heard initially through a closed door, and he can also correctly describe Marin Marais as the most celebrated Viola da Gamba player of his day. Yet he plainly doesn't know what the Italian word "gamba" means and so is seriously wrong about the parts of the anatomy used to grip this instrument (also called a "bass viol" in English, it's a distant and indirect ancestor of the modern cello, though our genius clearly thinks it's a sort of violin).

He's also pretty lousy at pronouncing French, and the DF subbers don't help by transcribing the nasty noise he makes when supposedly naming the piece as "La Lullaby" (But there's no such word as "lullaby" in French and never has been: the French for "lullaby" is "berceuse", so that wasn't a very good guess. That said, the line concerned, and the explanatory one that follows it, are currently completely blank in the Viki subs).

What he's trying to pronounce  is "Les relevailles", and given that clue you should have no trouble tracking down various performances in the original scoring for viola da gamba and harpsichord continuo. There's onehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFZaZyt59ow,  which has the bonus that the performer pronounces the title of the work before actually playing it.

Which of course leads us to the problem of what "Les relevailles" means in English. There's an apparently straightforward answer. The English term is "churching".  "WHAT??" you may well say. And there's the real snag.

As the Wikipedia article en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churching_of_women  indicates, the problem is that this "religious ceremony has been largely discontinued in the West",  so the word has fallen completely out of use. It's notable that, even in the 17th century, the authors of the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer thought the term required an explanation,  so they headed the 1662 version of order of service   "The Thanksgiving of Woman after Child-birth, commonly called The Churching of Woman"

However, the need to translate the French word doesn't arise, since there's no attempt at a Korean translation of it on the soundrack either. The term used in Korean Roman Catholic liturgy, 결례(潔禮), literally "purification ceremony", wouldn't mean much more to most Koreans than "churching" does to modern English speakers.

But the genius doesn't attempt a translation. He confines himself to an explanatory definition: 아기를 낳은 여성이 순산 기도식에 쓰는 음악이지.

which the DF subs somewhat clumsily translate as  "It's a sacred prayer music for a mother who gave birth."  though that might be more naturally, and accurately, translated as  "It's music for a service giving thanks for a safe childbirth."

This drama is totally wacky.  It goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. 

I can't figure out what audience this drama is targeting.  Initially, I had assumed that it would be for pre-teens.  However, some of the subject matters and the treatment of such, as in episodes 7 and 8, are a bit adult.  Although, I guess even the pre-teens, of this day and age, could be worldly enough to understand the issues.  :-?

This drama is certainly not a bit of high school 'fluff'.  It has a dark undertone to the characters, their school life and their home life.  It will be interesting to see where the last half of the drama takes us. 

Guest kchung06

I am sort of confused with this drama . The writers stray away from the original plots , new and at times confusing story lines . Where is the original love interest , I was looking forward to that . Please get this drama right . It's querky at times and funny

• 4 weeks later...

Archived