larus

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ilchul

selenette

said:

@stuartjmz

I agree that the last part of "Misaeng" wasn't exactly realism, but the first and middle parts were. Maybe there's another insight from you on Asian workplaces that I still know nothing about?

Moving on to cellular memory.

Although the evidences for cellular memory are anecdotal, they shouldn't be disregarded as merely childish tale. For people who claimed that they experienced it, the phenomenon is real. Whether we believe it or not is another matter, but as long as we're not knowledgeable in this field, I think we shouldn't be hasty in passing judgments. Unless we can rigorously prove that something is NOT real, then the possibility that something is real must be deliberated. Isn't that scientific skepticism?

EDIT: removing expletives.

Am i the only one who keeps replaying the last scene in episode 4 and i must say episode 4 is my favorite. I like episode 4 so much even better i keep replaying the last scene in preview episode 5. His face is priceless and Soonjung just stares at him with a puppy eyes, i bet Minho is trying to control himself that time :)) :))

Guest ilchul

larus

said: Beside slapping, let see other intentions of Almighty Chairman Kang.

:-O

Now, let see two faces of the same coin.

The merciless Kang....

and the playful Kang junior...

I will borrow Woo Shik` s words ( I love him:)):

At this point, I want both to lose in this battle. One Kang is not better than the other. Until Min Ho grows as a character, I accept the third party to win. The problem is (like Soon Jung will discover soon) that third party is not better either. They will come with their own greed and selfish ambitions. They all say that they are better than predecessors but it's just different clothes but the same manners. Like in politics. But that doesn`t mean that people should not try over and over again to change what is wrong. I am curious what the writer prepared for Soon Jung. What will be her mission in the coup. If that`s what we are going to see.

Guest ilchul

gammiron said: I just rewatch episode 4 with subs, and somehow I came to a realization during the scene where Soonjung was drunk and Minho came to save her from tripping. The fact that she is able to identify Minho even in drunken state makes me hopeful that no matter how much he reminds her of Dongwook, she will love Minho for the way he is and not just because of Dongwook. Also in that scene Minho points out that she's actually weak but pretending to be strong. I hope he will keep that in mind, because as we know it, Soonjung is a master of faking smile, but behind those smiles, she must be having some difficult times. I hope he'll be able to use that knowledge to notice whenever she seems to be in trouble without her having to speak it up (although at this stage I'd doubt she would ever do that). If he can do that, he'll be able to bring himself closer to her, and perhaps some time later he'll become Soonjung's go-to whenever she has problems just like Dongwook was. After all, this is a healing drama, so there better be healing scenes and lines for the characters and us coming up next!

Oh, but of course, we already have one healing line: even though happiness passes, but so does sadness. I'm going to remember this line for a long time.

Guest ilchul

anuyoes said: Some tips for you who watch this on DF, the subs are available every tuesday morning KST (monday midnight GMT). DF releases two eps at once. This is the same pattern as they did for Maids, the drama preceeding FFI.

*DF is a bit late but IMO I prefer DF over Viki for this drama*

MH changed a lot, since he was able to apologise to her... a thing he would have never done before. He was really affected when he witnessed his uncle slapping SJ. Running after her ... before, he would have given orders to that person!The only problem is that SJ isn't really aware of it. KMH hurt her so much and he reminds her so much of her fiance that she is more upset right now.

@bebebisous33 Hello, we meet again here! Our drama taste is similar. I agree with you that Soon-jung must be really annoyed with Min-ho now, not to mention scared and I don't know what else. She must've thought that he's been stalking her or something.

@Iarus @ilchul Yes, they're so dead if Min-ho finds them out. But then again, when your boss is too horrible you can't resist doing something like that at least once.

Rewatching Ep1, I'm interested in Soon-jung and Tae-suk (Dong-wook's dad)'s reactions when Min-ho calls them traitors at the factory. I think there are things about the 'betrayal' that Min-ho still doesn't know. IMHO it will trouble his newfound conscience once he realizes that his longtime grudge has been founded on many baseless assumptions. He's been kept in the shadows all the time, that by the time he comes out into the light it will blind and shock him.

I know depression kills, but sometimes I can't help but wonder what would've happened to Min-ho if his mother tried her best to survive and discover the truth. Or that cardiologist friend. Couldn't he sense that something was wrong with the little boy when Min-ho said such strange thing about his father in his mother's funeral? Why didn't he do anything to interfere?

Guest ilchul

chilbongsgurl94

said:

Just a thought on the violence against Soon Jung so far in the show. Chairman Kang slapping Soon Jung vs. Min Ho screaming at SJ in ep3, pushing her to the sofa, and smashing a glass against the wall to stop himself from smashing her...

In these cases of violence against women in dramas, I always check myself before I go on a self-righteous rant: would the violence have happened if it were a guy?

In Min Ho's case, he actually DOWN-moderated his actions towards SJ because she was a woman. Had it been a guy who so thoroughly crushed his uncle-crushing dreams to pieces, you can BET the guy wouldn't have gotten away with just a shove, towards a sofa no less (I feel like the ground would've hurt more). More like the heaviest PUNCH MH has thrown in his life or something.

But his uncle actually COMMITTED THE VIOLENCE towards SJ only BECAUSE she was a woman. Had it been a guy - would we have seen him slap him in the office? Probably NOT. Some harsh words perhaps, but none of that b!tch slap sh!t. That's why I got MAD at the uncle. And why I hope he gets his comeuppance but GOOD. 

Let's say both these guys were lost to anger, and lost their heads, blahblah weren't thinking straight when they did what they did. Okay. Aristotle said that it is in moments when you can't stop to think that you reveal your true character. If so, I'd say MH's character is fundamentally a lot better than his uncle's.

In the end I accept Min Ho's character, flawed and broken in some parts as it may be. The first minute of Ep 4, from his POV, did a lot to redeem him in my eyes... 

Can you imagine? As a young child, determined to never suffer the same fate as your father, who was so foolish as to trust, well, HIS OWN BROTHER... The horror of becoming a "cruel monster", and knowing it every step of the way... Fate dealt MH a shitty hand, so let's not judge him too quickly before being sure we wouldn't all have become him, had we been in his shoes... It was probably the only way he saw to never be burnt by horrible people ever, either by stomping on everyone or keeping them at a distance, like the women he slept with... 
BTW I think that's why the presence of his secretary/ exorcist extraordinaire is a genius touch by the writer :) Shows a human side of MH where he actually craves warm connections so much that he can't help but trust and feel for people he's close to, as much as he doesn't want to. Also LOL I LOVED the exorcism and the secretary actor and would LOVE to see him get more roles in the future!! 
p.s. Hi to chingudeul~ This is only the 2nd drama I've ever posted on Soompi for :3 The only other one was... well, refer to my handle... I can feel my heart Falling for Innocence so damn hard :\"> This drama is bringing me to life after Healer! :x

p.p.s. @larus - I think the father actor is

Kang Chul's dad in Ho Gu's Love

?? 

Guest ilchul

bebebisous33

said: First real comment on this thread. @littleloony had invited me to join this thread... but it took me some time to finally watch the 4 episodes. Well, it was worth it.The protagonist is interesting: he isn't all that bad. Yes, he is quite rude and insensitive, but he has some qualities that weren't directly shown first: he isn't a hypocrit and he succeeded to gain the support from people which proves that he can be likable too. His first secretary is always worried about him and can speak freely without getting fired. This proves that KMH can be tolerant. That's why I do feel pity for him... I can understand why he doesn't trust words at all. His parents were trusting people's words and were fooled. 

I can imagine that his revenge path will change. He might not longer want to destroy Hermia, but take it over.

About LJH: from the start, I disliked him... his speech about K. James has being the mastermind behind the first scandal bothered me a lot. 

He was always trying to put the blame on KMH, even if nothing had been proved. However, the CEO never doubts his words... not realiszing that LJH is acting just like he was in the past with his brother. Even one of the directors from the chairboard meeting mentioned to LJH that he would do only the dirty work without getting anything in return. He was wondering about it... From the episode 1, I never really trusted LJH and he is fake behind his kindness. Moreover, when he asked his friend not to investigate the scandal, my suspicions were confirmed. LJH is no different from the uncle. 
He is a hypocrit... just like the uncle and he only cares about power. When he mentioned, he couldn't protect SJ because of his lack of power, you see that he hadn't reflect on his actions. Yes, KMH was to blame for SJ's difficult situation, however LJH is also to blame. He put her in a difficult position from the start when he started his war against KMH's uncle. The pressure on Kang meant also putting SJ under pressure. Therefore his friend DW asked him if he had thought about SJ and his father, DW had realised that his dirty politics would endanger SJ and his father.
In the end, KMH can be read like an opened book: his anger and thirst for revenge isn't disguised and covered. LJH will double-cross KMH ... that's what I am expecting.
No, I don't think that SJ knows about the donor's identity because she asked KMH who he was. She is more confused and upset that he is reminding her of her deceased fiance.    

Guest ilchul

larus said: The hospital scene stills

I actually had the same reaction reading the subtitles for that scene. :)) I understood eventually that she was speaking in a dialect. And I understood why Min ho asked Dong Wook if he is a Japanese. (I think he knew exactly he is not but made fun of his accent).

Min Ho translating the ajumma`s words....

Koongkooed?! :))  :-??

Thanks, Min Ho, for the explanations. :)

Guest ilchul

bebebisous33 said: larus said: @chilbongsgurl94: Thank you. Thank you. His name is Park Ji Il and I saw him in one drama, Empire of Gold. It was my favorite drama in 2013. I feel better now. :)

Yes, Min Ho restrained himself to not show his rage towards Soon Jung in the full scale. And I like that when he narrated in episode 4 they chose that moment before the heart attack and his words I become a monster. And probably the screaming in front of his employees at Golden Partners were an exaggeration from their part to show their fear. It was used to create contrast with their reactions afterwards. :D He was a difficult boss. I agree that Min Ho is not a man who will slap a woman. He realizes what he has become and wants to change.  He just need healing and a right path to go.

Uncle Kang is nonredeemable in my eyes. I want him down.

larus said: We see many times actors in different roles. Sometimes I know who they are, or where I saw them but there are times that I don`t remember. And I try to remember but it is frustrating.

When Min Ho`s mom appeared on screen, I stared at her the entire time to remember where I have seen her. Silly me, I watched her quite recently in Yoona`s Street for 50 episodes. But I don`t remember about the actor who played Soon Jung`s father at all. I have a vague impression that I saw him in a quite role like secretary or something. If anyone knows his name or one of his dramas please share with me. :D

Guest ilchul

selenette

said: Rewatching Ep1, I'm interested in Soon-jung and Tae-suk (Dong-wook's dad)'s reactions when Min-ho calls them traitors at the factory. I think there are things about the 'betrayal' that Min-ho still doesn't know. IMHO it will trouble his newfound conscience once he realizes that his longtime grudge has been founded on many baseless assumptions. He's been kept in the shadows all the time, that by the time he comes out into the light it will blind and shock him.

I know depression kills, but sometimes I can't help but wonder what would've happened to Min-ho if his mother tried her best to survive and discover the truth. Or that cardiologist friend. Couldn't he sense that something was wrong with the little boy when Min-ho said such strange thing about his father in his mother's funeral? Why didn't he do anything to interfere?

ilchul said: bebebisous33 said: larus said: @chilbongsgurl94: Thank you. Thank you. His name is Park Ji Il and I saw him in one drama, Empire of Gold. It was my favorite drama in 2013. I feel better now. :)

Yes, Min Ho restrained himself to not show his rage towards Soon Jung in the full scale. And I like that when he narrated in episode 4 they chose that moment before the heart attack and his words I become a monster. And probably the screaming in front of his employees at Golden Partners were an exaggeration from their part to show their fear. It was used to create contrast with their reactions afterwards. :D He was a difficult boss. I agree that Min Ho is not a man who will slap a woman. He realizes what he has become and wants to change.  He just need healing and a right path to go.

Uncle Kang is nonredeemable in my eyes. I want him down.

Guest ilchul

ruzikie said: Am i the only one who keeps replaying the last scene in episode 4 and i must say episode 4 is my favorite. I like episode 4 so much even better i keep replaying the last scene in preview episode 5. His face is priceless and Soonjung just stares at him with a puppy eyes, i bet Minho is trying to control himself that time :)) :))

@ilchul

A. THE HIDDEN TRUTH

I don't know what kind of truth, it's just this feeling that something is off, that maybe Min-ho doesn't really know everything there's to know about the betrayal. The past roles of Soon-jung's, Dong-wook's, and Joon-hee's fathers, for example. I feel like there'll be lots of explaining to do from these people and maybe from Soon-jung, if she knows something that Min-ho doesn't.

B. PARENTAL ABANDONMENT

"To lose one parent may be regarded as misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness."

~Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest (by Oscar Wilde)

Sadly, I agree with you that his uncle's betrayal isn't the only thing that turns Min-ho into a 'monster'. I think he feels betrayed by his parents, too, otherwise he won't call them naïve (Ep4) and accuse them of being secretive (Ep1). His mother's suicide also fuels this anger, hence his determination to 'die fighting' (Ep2). He must think that suicide is a cowardly way to die.

IMO, Min-ho's healing will not stop at burying the hatchet in the war against his uncle, or at finding love, building true friendship, and living a full, happy life. To be able to move on, he will have to forgive his parents, too.

Archived