[Drama 2015] Hwajung 화정

ChelseaS

Guest manquant

Jokes aside, I'm really curious about the relationship between GW and Gae Shi... This is the first Sageuk where I see a court lady having so much say (and power) in front of a King, she's almost acting like a Councillor or even a Primer Minister... Is this portrayed this way for drama purposes, or did this actually happen?

What was Gae Shi's role in real history? Was she really that close to King GW?

She's infamous. ​I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere she's supposedly one of Gwanghae's concubines. Maybe not officially officially, because otherwise she'd have a title like what happened to Dongyi (she became Choi Sukbin). I thought the character was fictional because of the amazing yet scary magnitude of influence but apparently not.

Also, hi everyone~ It's my first time posting here after doing a weekend marathon of all the episodes. Rooting for Jungmyung's reunion to her mother paid off and I cried a lot. Gwanghae isn't necessarily evil nor completely without flaw. My heart goes out to him for trying to be the ruler which places the welfare of Joseon first and yet, I won't say I don't understand Inmok's continued anger at him for events he might have had prevented as the king. But he couldn't keep the promises he gave and his choices hurting can't be helped.

I'm excited to see this week's episode. Lady Kim Gaeshi going to Queen Dowager Inmok because of the Buddhist bracelet - let's count that as an intense talk, amirite?

*edit: There's a 1995 sageuk where Lee Young Ae played Lady Kim Gaeshi ~wow~

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Misstwilightfan1416, thank you for the link to MBC write up. I do not remember seeing it before, so I am happy you re-posted.

@gerrytan8063, thank you for all illuminations

Jokes aside, I'm really curious about the relationship between GW and Gae Shi... This is the first Sageuk where I see a court lady having so much say (and power) in front of a King, she's almost acting like a Councillor or even a Primer Minister... Is this portrayed this way for drama purposes, or did this actually happen?

What was Gae Shi's role in real history? Was she really that close to King GW?

@stclaus, I am wondering the same thing.  In older sageuk "West Palace" (1995)  Lee Young-Ae had the role of Kim Gae-Shi.

Interesting that West Palace had her being born the same night as was future Queen Inmok. Anyway, according to my understanding,  Gae-Shi had been a concubine of both King Sunjo and Gwanghae, but not officially so. Apparently Gwanghe could not give her that official title because of her relationship with his father. I have not seen the whole drama. One lady is subbing slowly, and I am praying that she will continue to sub the whole thing.  They actually even give more of a background on Gwanghae than this drama did, I think.

Lee Young Ae as Kim Gae Shi.

240px-West_Palace.jpg

oh.. I see now that @manquant    also wrote about West Palace, as I was writing my answer.

@SMP567, thank you for all the goodies. I am looking forward to Hwa-Yi/Ja Gyun reunion

@SMP567

"Let's hope that the Princess will be able to find out soon that her king brother was not the one who killed her younger brother and chased after her to kill."

Gwanghaegun is deem responsible & liable for the death of Grand Prince Yeongchang, her maternal grandfather Kim Je Nam & her three Uncles, it was done during his reign & under his watch. He condone Yi Yi Cheom to go "after" Queen Inmok family by closing one's eye on the matter. 

In the history, it was recorded that the Princess tried to stay away from politics and live a very quiet life.

화정[1]

This is why she earns this epitaph from Calligrapher U-am (우암) Song Si Yeol (송시열 1607-1689)

@stclaus

"I'm really curious about the relationship between GW and Gae Shi"

I wrote about Kim Gae Shi in page 67

The relationship between Gwanghaegun & Kim Gae Shi is better portray in the 1995 KBS drama Seogung (서궁 Seogung), based on an anonymous author (presume to be a palace maid) Gyechuk Ilgi (Dairy of the Water Ox 1613,계축일기,癸丑日記)

Gye Chuk (계축,癸丑) is the 50th year of the sexagenary (60) cycle. Korean will use the name of the years in the sexagenary cycle e.g. Imjin War (임진,壬辰 1592), 1st Manchu Invasion is (Jeongmyo Invasion 정묘,丁卯1627) & the 2nd Manchu Invasion (Byeongja Invasion 병자,丙子 1636) 

Queen Dowager Inmok is portray as a virtuous lady who fall victim to palace politics & jealousies. She struggles to protect her son but was put into house arrest by Gwanghaegun at Seogung, only to be release during the Retribution of Rectitude revolt in 1623 when Gwanghaegun was depose

@valsava

" I have a question just when did the law take effect that no princess could marry into a family that's a royal court member.. If you seen moon embracing the sun the king sister married the crown princess brother but the crown princess brother and father had to give up they position working in the court because of the marriage is this just something like fiction or nonfiction or was this practice really a law then.. ?"

It was during the reign of Sejo (1417-1468) that he had ban all members of the Royal Family from taking governmental post to prevent interferences to the throne, featured in the drama Princess Man. As far to my knowledge, the restriction is limited to son in law (Princess Consort - being the member of the Royal Family), not Princess father in law (only in laws to the Royal Family).....even the Queen family members have governmental postings

Guest manquant

@irilight Oh really (about the same birthday)? Even in the show, Inmok and Kim Gaeshi seem to be close in age. If I remember correctly, Inmok was only 19 when she became Queen. (Also, can I ask where are you watching Western Palace? I might check it out later, out of curiosity.)

@irilight Oh really (about the same birthday)? Even in the show, Inmok and Kim Gaeshi seem to be close in age. If I remember correctly, Inmok was only 19 when she became Queen. (Also, can I ask where are you watching Western Palace? I might check it out later, out of curiosity.)

@manquant, I do not know if this detail is historically correct. I sort of almost doubt it, but this is how it is portrayed in that drama, West Palace.

So far, she has only subbed a couple of episodes on My Historical Drama

Maybe if more people comment they want to see it she will continue

@mocachannel_stv - sending you PM

19회

Text Preview to Episode 19

같이 죽든지 같이 살든지

Heo Gyun: We shall see whether we will live or we will die together

주원(서강준)은 정명(이연희)을 대신해 자객의 칼날을 맞고 쓰러지고, 정명은 자객 의 배후를 알아내기 위해 광해(차승원)와 손을 잡는다.

허균(안내상)은 자신을 향해 조여오는 광해(차승원)에게 위협을 느끼는데...

Hong Joo Won takes the blade while protecting Princess Jeongmyeong from the assassin & he collapse from his wounds. Princess Jeongmyeong in order to find who is the mastermind behind the assassin goes & collaborate (join forces) with Gwanghaegun on the matter.

Heo Gyun goes on the offensive towards Gwanghaegun

The ones who play Ja Gyeung and Joo-Won are both in the same idol group 5Surprise. Also 

http://content.mbc.co.kr/english/drama/2015/2578558_63614.html

I posted it before so i thought i'll post it again. It gives us a little insight on whats to come.

Edit: Is it me or does it seem like Ja Gyeung has a small crush on the princess? Why else does he go to great lengths for her?

​Finally, someone other than the actor playing Joo Won has a role from 5urprise!  I thought they were all being really neglected.

@valsava

" I have a question just when did the law take effect that no princess could marry into a family that's a royal court member.. If you seen moon embracing the sun the king sister married the crown princess brother but the crown princess brother and father had to give up they position working in the court because of the marriage is this just something like fiction or nonfiction or was this practice really a law then.. ?"

It was during the reign of Sejo (1417-1468) that he had ban all members of the Royal Family from taking governmental post to prevent interferences to the throne, featured in the drama Princess Man. As far to my knowledge, the restriction is limited to son in law (Princess Consort - being the member of the Royal Family), not Princess father in law (only in laws to the Royal Family).....even the Queen family members have governmental postings

Morning all, So far my link is working fine this morning so will try and recap 

​@gerrytan8063,  Thanks for explaining it I thought this practice had still carried on but got confused so it's the king daughters husbands can't be apart of the royal court..  I knew the Queen family could because normally the king FIL will help him run the court..

@stclaus

The relationship between Gwanghaegun & Kim Gae Shi is better portray in the 1995 KBS drama Seogung (서궁 Seogung), based on an anonymous author (presume to be a palace maid) Gyechuk Ilgi (Dairy of the Water Ox 1613,계축일기,癸丑日記)

Gye Chuk (계축,癸丑) is the 50th year of the sexagenary (60) cycle. Korean will use the name of the years in the sexagenary cycle e.g. Imjin War (임진,壬辰 1592), 1st Manchu Invasion is (Jeongmyo Invasion 정묘,丁卯1627) & the 2nd Manchu Invasion (Byeongja Invasion 병자,丙子 1636) 

Queen Dowager Inmok is portray as a virtuous lady who fall victim to palace politics & jealousies. She struggles to protect her son but was put into house arrest by Gwanghaegun at Seogung, only to be release during the Retribution of Rectitude revolt in 1623 when Gwanghaegun was depose

​So, what happened to Gaeshi?  And did she really get to wear royal consort clothes?

@stclaus

​So, what happened to Gaeshi?  And did she really get to wear royal consort clothes?

​@tulip06,  I'm also interested in this story  I know in the Kings face the girl GW loved did become close with his father but it was said in that drama she told GW father she will be his woman but not sleep with him I don't know if it's true or not but you should check out the Kings face..

‌@valsava

Queen Family was always seen as the political adversary to the King. This is why Taejong had most of his in laws killed (Queen Won Gyeong), he also went on to killed poor Sejong father in law - Shim On (Queen Soheon's father)

Taejong always refer his in law as the power behind the skirt (chima). In the end, Queen Won Gyeong had no brothers left as all 4 of her brother were killed by Taejong

‌@valsava

Queen Family was always seen as the political adversary to the King. This is why Taejong had most of his in laws killed (Queen Won Gyeong), he also went on to killed poor Sejong father in law - Shim On (Queen Soheon's father)

Taejong always refer his in law as the power behind the skirt (chima). In the end, Queen Won Gyeong had no brothers left as all 4 of her brother were killed by Taejong

​@gerrytan8063,  I remember this from watching the great Sejong recently..  

I found the real "Heo Gyun" to be interesting!  A brief description about him on Wiki: " Heo Gyun was a prominent Korean politician and poet, novelist, scholar, and writer of the Joseon dynasty. " 

However, in this drama, he portrayed the betrayal based on his cause to revenge his scholar friends.
I must have missed something...but not sure what made him hate Gwanghaegun so much to want to dethrone him. If he was such a smart scholar, he must have recognized a wise king when he saw one. And King Gwanghae could have rebuilt the Joseon he so wished for. 

@SMP567, IKR how he is portrayed in this drama. From reading gerrytan's post about him though, it seems in history, he never really admitted to what he was being accused of. It seems he was someone whom the ruling conservative party will be so afraid of, and just my guessing and I could be very wrong but based on how politics work in general, he might have been set up.  

Archived