[Drama 2015] Hwajung 화정

ChelseaS

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest purpledrama

Here you go.  Enjoy!

as tagged

If I didn't know better, I'd have thought this guy was the male lead, the way he gets so many ( including moi ) all excited! :P

​YESSSS!!! I've seen the episode in the middle of the night (finished at 2 a.m.) and when I saw him I was like bursting with joy (stopped myself - ppl around were sleeping). I know we couldn't see his face but we all know who he is. 

Other things - the scene of king and the ministers debating on queen-dowager's fate was awesome. I love what Cha Seung Won did in that scene. Yay! This is Gwanghae I love! :):):) 

And In Woo's fight scene, sword, 4 guys against him... 

@ cedarwood yes loved it too his expression when he talks to them with security love it he so handsome :)

IN WOO fith yes im with u he was great his skills are great loving all his scenes. ..

Guest purpledrama

Also, did anyone else cry when the princess met her mother finally?:tears:

posterphoto602051.jpg

Yess i did this scene was so sad and nice same time they reunited again... Hwayi started crying before she entered the room 

crying-smiley-emoticon.png

As a side note, now that Ja Gyung is back to protect the princess, will we be seeing In Woo and Joo Won being jealous at their closeness? Or a fighting/action scene between In Woo and Ja Gyung for some reason (perhaps because, i don't know, the princess?)?   I'm eagerly looking forward to that besides the whole drama, of course. xD

Here you go.  Enjoy!

as tagged

If I didn't know better, I'd have thought this guy was the male lead, the way he gets so many ( including moi ) all excited! :P

​YESSSS!!! I've seen the episode in the middle of the night (finished at 2 a.m.) and when I saw him I was like bursting with joy (stopped myself - ppl around were sleeping). I know we couldn't see his face but we all know who he is. 

@SMP567, @cedarwood - me as well. I got so excited to see him back. In fact, from the three men around the princess, he is the most exciting in my opinion, and the one she is about to marry is the least exciting of the three.

@MaknaeC thank you for your comments. I learn from you. I shudder at the thought that Gwanghae was made to kneel in front of Queen Inmok accused of 36 crimes. What an ungrateful nation that was.!

@SMP567, Thank you for all screencaptures, and illuminations.

@gerrytan8063, thank you again for all additional information you give us.

화정-HD Photo TopStarNews.Net

I found this last episode very emotional.  I was tearing at the scene of the Princess and the King. Cha Seung-Won is such an incredible actor, and it is difficult for me to imagine this drama in the 2nd half without him. I hope we will still continue to see him. He is really the driving force/power house behind this drama.

Like @mangekyux and @purpledrama - I also cried at the Princess' reunion with her mother.    (Thank you @SMP567 for the screencaps of that. You are like a magician who can pull these from you hat as soon as we mention it...)

I still do not fully understand what is Gyosan's agenda.  Of course, we know now that he betrayed the King - but what was he after and why (since he also wanted the Queen dead..) His character interests me. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about him:

Heo Gyun was born in the city of Gangneung to Heo Yeop and his second wife (known only by her surname Kim 김). Heo Gyun's sister Heo Nanseolheon was a poet. Heo's family was of the noble (yangban) class (his father had been mayor of Gangneung) and as such Heo Gyun was afforded a solid education and in 1594 passed the nation's highest civil service exam. Under the strong influence of his tutor, Yi Dal 李達, Heo Gyun became a progressive and liberal thinker who dreamed of establishing a more progressive society by eliminating all bigoted and conservative elements in the social, literary, and political realms.[1] Heo went on to serve the government of Joseon in such positions as Minister of the Board of Punishment and State Councillor. In the course of his political career he was exiled several times for involvement in political feuds and was ultimately executed on charges of treason during the reign of Prince Gwanghae.[2]

Heo is often credited as the author of the famous Korean story Tale of Hong Gildong, which in many ways reflects his progressive thinking, although his authorship has been disputed

And here is his birth house in Gangneung:

800px-Korea-Gangneung-House_of_Heo_famil

With all this emphasis on his progressive and liberal thinking I would have thought he'd be aligned with Gwanghae, and that is the mystery for me.

@irilight

"With all this emphasis on his progressive and liberal thinking I would have thought he'd be aligned with Gwanghae, and that is the mystery for me."

In the wake of the Imjin War, when talent was scant & scarce, Joseon opens the window to allow the concubine sons' of Yanban class (deem a lower class) to participate in governmental posting (merit overwrite class status) but then close the window quickly after the war.

Those talents was left in a lurch & placing their hope on Gwanghaegun who was also in the same scenario but Gwanghaegun didn't really rally to their cause in support (he couldn't as he has other more important agenda that needed his attention)

@irilight

This was taken from KBS World program "Koreans in History" synopsis

Heo Gyun, Author of First Hangeul Novel ‘The Tale of Hong Gildong’

Freewheeling Writer - Heo Gyun was a scholar official in the mid-Joseon period. The scholar of Wang Yangming School was considered something of a literary genius who was proficient in poetry and prose.

He was the author of The Tale of Hong Gildong, a novel that criticized the absurdity of Joseon society. It is undoubtedly one of the literary masterpieces representing the Joseon Kingdom. His works include Gyosansihwa (The Story of Gyosan (교산)’s Poetry) and Hanjeongrok (The Record of an Idle Mind).

Heo pursued a freewheeling lifestyle and advocated unconventional ideas in his studies. Let’s explore the turbulent life of this prominent writer and politician

Born from a Prominent Family - Heo Gyun was born in one of the most prominent political families of the time. His father, Heo Yeop (허엽), was a scholar official. Today, the city of Gangneung is famous for its chodang tofu, and the name originated from Heo Yeop’s penname “Chodang.” Heo Gyun’s older brother served as the Minister of the Board of Personnel and the Minister of Defense. His older sister was famous poet Heo Cho Hee (penname Nanseolheon -1563-1589).

The Revised Annals of King Seonjo, which chronicles the history of the 14th ruler of the Joseon Dynasty, describes Heo’s family as follows.

“Heo Yeop’s three sons, Seong, Bong & Gyun, and sons-in-laws, Woo Seong-jeon (우성전) & Kim Seong-rip(김성립), were all in government service as scholar officials and helped one another improve their abilities. So people said the Heo family was more successful than any other political family.” 

Freewheeling Lifestyle & Turbulent Life - Heo Gyun started his public career in 1594 when he passed the highest civil service exam. He rose to the post of governor of Hwanghae Province but he was soon dismissed.

He was accused of bringing his followers and even a courtesan from Hanyang (Seoul) and doing whatever he wanted. He was also accused of habitually asking for special favours.

Heo Gyun was exceptionally free-spirited. He was friendly to Buddhism and he interacted with a number of Buddhist priests. He also associated with children born of concubines rather than primary wives. At the time, the lives of these unfortunate people were harsh due to their humble origins and social restrictions.-

Heo Gyun also communicated emotion with female entertainers or courtesans. When his favourite courtesan Maechang (매창) died, he wrote a poem of condolence for her.

Tales of Hong Gil Dong - First Novel Written in Hangeul - Heo Gyun’s work, "The Tale of Hong Gil Dong", is the first novel written in the Korean alphabet of Hangeul. It carries great significance in the history of Korean literature. The novel fully reflects the author’s own life and thoughts.

In his anthology Seongsobubugo (성소부부고), the purpose and authenticity of learning is discussed in a section called “The Theory of Learning.” Another section in the book, “The Theory of Defence,” stresses the need to build up national defence by arranging the military system.

In a book entitled Yujaeron (The Theory of Abandoned Talents), Heo Gyun maintained that God allowed the births of talented people because they were meant to be used properly in their times, so abandoning those people is an act of disobeying God. In this book, Heo Gyun expressed his frustration that gifted people were often deserted just because they were the children of concubines or because their mothers remarried. The book is believed to have best expressed the author’s views. 

Suspicion Remains - In 1618, the tenth year of King Gwanghaegun’s reign, a royal investigation was held in front of the gate of Injeongjeon (인정전), a main hall of Changdeokgung Palace. Investigators were looking into Heo Gyun’s rebellion conspiracy allegation. Heo Gyun was charged with preparing to set Grand Prince Yeongchang, the son of King Seonjo, on the throne.

In regards to the suspicion of Heo Gyun’s plotting treason, The Gwanghaegun Diary later recorded that members of the governing faction at the time conspired to eliminate Heo Gyun. On the day of investigation, Heo Gyun never admitted that he was guilty and he eventually met a tragic death.

Heo Gyun led a freewheeling, turbulent life and left behind a novel that still has huge literary significance.

Korea is still a very much a class conscious society, Goryeo has the ruling aristocrats, Joseon had the Yanban (scholar) class  & modern Korea has the Chaebol (conglomerate) class

@gerrytan8063, thank you so much!

The irony of course being, that Gwanghae himself is a son of a concubine, so I can understand why he could not bring us this issue, that will raise questions to his own legitimacy.

Side question - what is  chodang tofu? I tried to google it, and only got many entries of restaurants with this name...

It seems that the prevailing arc of the first part of the drama is revenge and the recipient of those intentions is Gwanghaegun. The princess is back and she does not know about the prophecy made long time ago which the Queen, her mother desperately clings to. What Han Eum did not publicly reveal about the prophecy was what his teacher, (the philosopher Lee Ji Ham), inferred about prophecies.  LJH said “what is stronger than ones fate is a person’s own will, it is human will that is stronger than heaven’s intentions.” Human beings are gifted with their own will to choose their destiny or way of life. Rather than relying on outside forces such as a prophecy to make the choice, Gwanghaegun relied on his own heart and mind, early on to decide which direction he would take. He was sure of his choices knowing that some of those choices will be most difficult, hellish and dark and yet he never wavered. From the moment he stepped up to join the war and became a defacto ruler as crown prince while his father retreated to the north near the Ming border,  Gwanghaegun demonstrated “the human will is stronger than heaven’s intentions”. When Gae Shi said that she and Li Cheom were responsible for the death of the Grand Prince and the late King Seonjo, Gwanghae did not hesitate to admit his complicity and responsibility in the results of those horrible actions. Queen Immok on the other hand also made choices that determined the fate of her children and herself relying in a prophecy that could be interpreted and used in so many different ways. Her decisions based on the prophecy ultimately lead to endangerment of her children. This is not to make an excuse for the grim actions of Gwanghaegun as he ferociously held on and fought for his throne. But if the queen really thought about it, she was the one who first made a move to make an enemy of Gwanghae when she planned together with her father and his party to remove Gwanghaegun as king and place her son instead. She planned to commit treason against Gwanghaegun, the king whom she herself installed and crowned. In essence she broke her promise first. She does not remember her role at the start of the controversy but blames everything on Gwanghaegun and still relies on the legitimacy of a prophecy. Now, as the princess who came back to avenge the wrong done to her family, will Jung Myeong be like her mother who had a humungous sense of entitlement and thinks she should be crowned the rightful ruler of the land because of a “pure blood” prophecy? Will she grow up to remember that she is responsible for the consequences of her actions?  That her mother and grandfather had at one time tried to destroy Gwanghaegun? Will she believe in her mother and think that anyone who tries to harm her is a plan by her brother the king? She may never forgive Gwanghae for a long time, but after some prudent deliberation she may end up embracing and endorsing the causes and politics of Gwanghaegun. She may realize that worldly power has its own price as she becomes wiser in her own choices. In that moment she will then alter the meaning of the last part of the prophecy which became the bitter part of contention. “Only the pure blood can become the real owner of the world” will then gain a sacred and spiritual meaning for her. Instead of “pure blood” it will be “pure heart”, when she owns her heart and mind, her intentions and actions she becomes the owner of her herself and her world. The golden rule, rules. It was what Han Eum desperately tried to teach the embattled Gwanghaegun. It is not how the princess will be owning and ruling Joseon, it was how she will be ruling her own mind and her life. Revenge after all is a double edged sword. Even if it takes a long time, maybe near the end of Gwanghaegun’s life, will the princess then forgive and reconcile with her brother? i hope so.

There is that poignant scene of a conflicted Joo Won prowling the grassy hills overlooking the palaces. He just confirmed the identity of Hwa Yi as the princess Jyung Myeong the girl he promised to look for and not forget, the princess she promised to protect. He helps her to appear before  Gwanghaegun, the king he once despised and said was unfit to rule, the king he now respects, whose work, ideals and administration he eagerly supports. As he prowls, he must be asking himself if he just helped serve the rabbit to the tiger. The king told him once before “don’t trust me, I will abandon anyone who goes against my goals.”  Being that he helped the princess go to the king he must have trusted in his king once more. He once said that Gwanghaegun wields the sword holding the blade, that the king does what he must to attain his dreams of a peaceful and prosperous Joseon even if it hurts him, he was a man ahead of his time. Joo Won now tests and puts his faith in Gwanghaegun, that the king will not harm but also protect the princess because it is politically expedient for the king to do so. What the Joo Won does not know is the loving relationship the king had with his sister when they were younger. The last 2 episodes shows the king seemingly still cherishing her sister.  Will that be an impediment to the continuation of his rule? My presumptions; I think that Gae Shi and Li Cheom will again partner to plan to eliminate the princess and together will become one of the major movers to cause the downfall of the king.  Because of their cruelty and actions, doubt and blame will fall on Gwanghae’s head. Joo Won will have to work hard on a balancing act to protect both his king and his princess. Will his faith in the king be shaken by the king’s enemies? In Woo who was a friend of Gyosan and may have been a member to the young scholars and concubine sons who were executed, will then have an axe to grind against the king. He also has openly declared himself a rival of Joo Won for the love of and the right to protect the princess. Ja Gyung appears. It seems that he did not waste his time laboring in the sulfur mines. I wonder if he took over or became a partner of Murano in the sulfur business.  I love, love the development of the story and characters of the historical figures especially Gwanghae (he is the man) but I also wish that the writers will show the development of the major fictional characters such as In Woo  and Ja Gyung. What did Ja Gyung do before coming to Joseon and what is the background story on In Woo and where he was and what he was doing before he appeared in his father’s house? Was he part of the young men tutored by Gyosan and who were executed because of their plan to commit treason?  I maybe alone in this but I think it will enhance the fictional part of the story

@zenya22, wonderful entry!

I fully agree.

One of the aspects that bothered me too was that Queen Inmok has never acknowledged her own responsibility in the what happened to her children, but only blamed Gwanghae.

Who was Queen Inmok's father?

Also, it is ironic that Gwanghae who told Joo Won “don’t trust me, I will abandon anyone who goes against my goals,” did not remove either Gae Shi and Li Cheom, and they had hurt him and his throne badly, despite being on "his side," and may very well contribute to his downfall by their actions, as you had pointed out. And then again, I am not seriously asking. I do know he cannot remove them. What a tragic figure he is.

And I agree with you... I too would love to know more, also about the fictional characters - both Ja Gyung and In Woo. I do expect we will learn more of what happened to Ja Gyung since we last saw him, in next week episodes.

"With all this emphasis on his progressive and liberal thinking I would have thought he'd be aligned with Gwanghae, and that is the mystery for me."

The irony of course being, that Gwanghae himself is a son of a concubine, so I can understand why he could not bring us this issue, that will raise questions to his own legitimacy.

@irilight, Gyosan is also a very interesting character to me. In this drama, he is portrayed as someone who also is wanting revenge for the death of the concubine sons who were executed for being accused of conspiracy and he blames the king. From reading his bio posted by @gerrytan8063, he seemed to be a passionate champion of the oppressed. In an ultraconservative environ such as the joseon society, he must have been regarded as an agitator and was also feared by the right wings (this is my opinion only). However his support of the concubine sons must have directed the attention and prejudice of the conservatives against them. Just like in history, the oppressed people of society usually have to fight and die for their cause for a society to change, It is a very sad and unfortunate part of human and societal growth, Wars have been fought for progress. Gwanghaegun on the other hand has his own more global cause to fight for. He was himself fighting for his survival and the survival of his country and his people. In this drama, it seems that Gyosan is disgruntled with the actions of the people of the societal class where he is a member of. He may have thought that the king was not doing enough to support his people.

Reading the bio of Kim Yeo Jin the actress playing Gae Shi, it is interesting that she is a proponent of liberal causes, a modern liberal artist.

@gerrytan8063 "here is a famous poet who is noted in wearing this hat as his signature. He is called Kim Sat Gat (김삿갓)"

Hahaha, KSG must had a wicked sense of humor. Yet he was also sentimentally romantic. Thank you so much for sharing. Well, maybe Ja Gying will inherit that sense of humor.

1936988_1_19[1]

@irilight

"Side question - what is  chodang tofu? I tried to google it, and only got many entries of restaurants with this name..."

Chodang tofu is a famous dish in Gangneung. If you have a chance, Gangneung is a nice place to visit in Gangwon-do province. It is also the place where Shin Saimdang (1504-1551, the woman who appears in the Korean W50,000 note, soon going to be played by Lee Young Ae) comes from. It is also a great place for seafood - Jumunjin Seafood Market

Just south of Gyeongpo Beach is Chodang Sundubu Village, which is famous for sundubu (watery tofu). Along Gangneung's most famous food street the beans are ground for Chodang sundubu, then through several steps, salt water from the East Sea is used in the congealing process resulting in a soft and light tofu. The name of this village, Chodang, originates from the name of a famous family that once lived here known as Chodang-Heoyeop. Heoyeop was the father of son, writer/poet Heo-gyun (1569~1618) and daughter, poet Nanseolheon Heo Cho Hee (1563~1589). A traditional-style Korean house has been reconstructed on the site where the original house of Heo-gyun and Nanseolheon Heo Cho Hee once stood.. It will cost you W7,000-8,000 for the Chodang Sundubu

Directions: Bus - From Gangneung Intercity Bus Terminal, take bus 206, 207 or 230. (40 min-ride). Get off at Gangneung High School and walk 5 min. Train - From Gangneung Station, takes a taxi 15-20 mins ride

You also can visit the The Gangneung Chodang Beancurd Factory to sample to

Archived