[Drama 2015] Hwajung 화정

ChelseaS

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@‌MadraRua

"In Woo is a keeper. I hope they end up together. I'm not getting any chemistry at all with Joo Won and the Princess."

History doesn't permit that, Princess Jeongmyeong will marry Hong Joo Won, or else she can't be the maternal great great grandmother of Jeongjo (Hong Bong Han grandfather to Jeongjo is the 6th descendant of Princess Jeongmyeong & Hong Joo Won, title Prince Yeong An Hwi 영안위,永安尉)

Hwi (위,尉) is title given to the Princess Husband (Consort)

​Your killing me here boring-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

​Sorry @MadraRua,  seems like our Team In Woo is not going to work out...  :(
We can still enjoy the smiles In Woo has for the Princess, though.  
I don't think there is one single scene so far that Joo Won smiles to her!  Joo Won looks more like Hwa Yi's legal advisor...

​Yeah there goes team In Woo up in smoke... lol... oh well. 

Some history information on family tree of Princess Jeongmyeong & Hong Joo Won

Hong Joo Won (1606-1672), title Prince Yeong An Hwi (영안위,永安尉), married Princess Jeongmyeong (1603-1685) in 1623, invested the title as Sungdeok Daebu  (숭덕대부, 崇德大夫) & Prince Yeong An Hwi (영안위,永安尉).

It looks like Princess Jeongmyeong & Hong Joo Won had more children than was recorded. The previous record said that she had 2 sons, I will assume that they only recorded the sons who had hold official ranks

Son: Hong Dae Mang (홍태망,洪台望, 1625 -?) died young

Eldest son Hong Man Young (홍만용, 洪萬容, 1631-1692), hold the official rank of Yejo Pan Seo (예조판서, 禮曹判書) the same Ministry (예조,禮曹, Rites) his Grandfather work in

2nd son Hong Man Hyeong (홍만형, 洪萬衡, 1633-1670) hold the official rank of Yijo Jwa Rang(이조좌랑, 吏曹左郞, Personnel) marries Min Gwang Heon's daughter of Yeoheung Min clan, Queen Inhyeon (Sukjong 2nd Queen) paternal Aunt

3rd son Hong Man Hee (홍만희, 洪萬熙, 1635 -1670)

There is some records of other children who had died young

Son: Hong Dae Ryeong (홍태량, 洪台亮, 1637-?) died young

Son: Hong Dae Yuk (홍태육, 洪台六, 1639 - ?) died young

Daughter: Hong Dae Im (홍태임, 洪台妊 1641- ?) died young

4th son  Hong Man Hoe (홍만회,洪萬懷, 1643 -1710)

If you observe the given name to the surviving children had middle character "만" (萬, Man) as to the children who die young middle character is "태" (台, Dae). They might have change their middle character (from "Dae" to "Man") in their names during the "Coming of Age" ceremony (Gyerye), when the man or women turns 20 years old, a popular custom of the upper class people in the time of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) where social codes were necessary to uphold various family rituals, where the men tying their hair into topknots and wearing a gat (갓 - a cylindrical hat made from horse hair) & wears full adult attire of dopo

While women will put up their hair in a bun fastened with a binyeo (비녀 -hairpin).

Coming of Age ceremony is one of the 4 observed ceremonies in Joseon Dynasty, Coming of Age, Wedding, Funeral & Memorial

While women will put up their hair in a bun fastened with a binyeo (비녀 -hairpin).

Coming of Age ceremony is one of the 4 observed ceremonies in Joseon Dynasty, Coming of Age, Wedding, Funeral & Memorial

​@gerrytan8063 Thank you for the interesting Korean culture. 
I heard that the women bun their hair after they get married. 

​@smp567,  Ha still awake,  Yes I love being in a thread with Gerrytan,  He's and historian on Korean culture..  I was surprised that some of those old palaces are still around ..

It's a shame that GW don't have the proper recognition that he so deserved and also with the culture centers they have there I'm surprised that some historian hasn't made moves to have something done about this.. At least give the man a royal tomb he was King for 13 yrs or so..  

Guest ororomunroe

[Spoilers] Hwajung

fakff%3Bdlsk.jpg

Osen - Naver: 'Hwajung' Lee Yeon Hee lies to Cha Seung Won to save herself 

1. [+1087, -53] This drama has great ingredients but the cooking doesn't taste great

2. [+738, -92] It's more reassuring to just look at Lee Yeon Hee's face than constantly minding her acting

3. [+666, -37] The supporting actors are much better actors

4. [+149, -20] The crossdressing reminds me of Ha Ji Won in 'Empress Ki' but their acting abilities are world's apart

5. [+112, -15] Kudos to Lee Yeon Hee for ruining this drama ㅋㅋDoes she even monitor her acting?

6. [+62, -9] 'Hwajung' should've made Cha Seung Won, Jung Woong In and the lady who plays Kim Gae Shi the leads

7. [+46, -3] Cha Seung Won was the only one acting in that scene.. Lee Yeon Hee's hopeless..

8. [+47, -5] PD and writer, are you monitoring her at all?

Cr: kkuljaem

​@smp567,  Ha still awake,  Yes I love being in a thread with Gerrytan,  He's and historian on Korean culture..  I was surprised that some of those old palaces are still around ..

It's a shame that GW don't have the proper recognition that he so deserved and also with the culture centers they have there I'm surprised that some historian hasn't made moves to have something done about this.. At least give the man a royal tomb he was King for 13 yrs or so..  

​@valsava  Hi there. I'm having fun reading all the posts especially Gerry's. Oh my, are you sure he is not Korean. I think he can teach Eastern Asian Cultures!  
I love old buildings. Those old palaces are full of lives and stories. The architecture alone is worth the air tickets flying there.

You hit the nail on the head!  I
f Injo is recognized, it doesn't make sense they let Gwanghae go unnoticed. However, at the rate that dramas and movies are made on Gwanghae's story, who knows, there might be some amazing recognition for this king one of these days.  

@SMP567

This is how they wear their hair at the Coming of Age ceremony, the hairstyle is called Jjok/Jjokjin meori (쪽/쪽진머리)

​@gerrytan8063  Thank you so much. Now I got it. It's a different type of hair-up. 
This Coming of Age ceremony also exists in Japan and China til these days I suppose?

​@valsava  Hi there. Are you still awake from Monday or just got up on Tuesday?  :)
I'm having fun reading all the posts especially Gerry's. Oh my, are you sure he is not Korean. I think he can teach Eastern Asian Cultures at UCLA!  
I love old buildings. Those old palaces are full of lives and stories. The architecture alone is worth the air tickets flying there.

You hit the nail on the head!  I
f Injo is recognized, it doesn't make sense they let Gwanghae go unnoticed. However, at the rate that dramas and movies are made on Gwanghae's story, who knows, there might be some amazing recognition for this king one of these days.  

​@SMP567, I think the reason for his place being like this because he never received recognition from Ming..  But yet I also hope that he get his props wish it could happen before I depart from this world and young and healthy enough to travel and enjoy a festival such as this   

The queen mother is also about to become a player again. Loved the look on Gwanghae's face when the Ming decided to snub him in favour of her. I'd like to see how she can start interfering with his politics. 

Embedded image permalink
MBC

@valsava
One is never too old or too young to enjoy life. Travel can always be arranged. It's your mind that moves your body.
 :)

​@smp567,  Very well said but tight now the moola is what's moving my body I'm going to have to save up again I know I would need at least a good 5 grand for my trip to Korea I don;t want to stay for a week I really want to see the country and the towns Busan and Jejo island I must go once I get there..So I need at least three weeks to a month

This Coming of Age ceremony also exists in Japan and China til these days I suppose?

In Korea, it is held every year on the third Monday in May

​Now this interesting I would love to watch something like this..

@valsava

"I think the reason for his place being like this because he never received recognition from Ming.."

In 1617, Gwanghaegun receive his Kingship endorsement for Ming Emperor.

Now why the Ming Envoy decided to pay greeting to Queen Dowager Inmok is that Gwanghaegun hesitation in sending Joseon Expeditionary Force to assist Ming campaign in fight against the Manchu. Gwanghaegun already knew that Manchu (his neighbours in the North) is a mighty adversary if provoke. Gwanghaegun tried to play the neutral policy between the Manchus & Ming Dynasty in which it will cost him his throne especially in his handling of the Liaodong Campaign - Battle of Sarhu in 1619

The decline of Ming Dynasty compelled Gwanghaegun to dissociate himself from the growing distance between the newly proclaimed soon to be Qing Manchu/Jurchen under Nurhaci & the Ming Dynasty, in his efforts to avoid the looming Jurchen threat.

It is argues that Gwanghaegun was the only Joseon King overt in his failure to subordinate Korea to the Ming, & to harbour a deep resentment  for China. In the year 1619, shortly before the Battle of Sarhu, the Ming ordered Joseon to deploy its army. Joseon’s response under the dissociate policy of Gwanghaegun was to stall and prevaricate while continuing to engage in dialogue with the Manchu through secret emissaries. Gwanghaegun under pressure from the Ming Dynasty, Gwanghaegun finally commanded Kang Hong Rip to lead a division force of 13,000 troops to assist in Liaodong Campaign. Kang Hong Rip, however, was slow in leading his forces into the region. Upon discovering that the Ming Army was suffering defeat on the battlefield, Kang Hong Rip entered into a pact with the Manchu, and the majority of Korean troops under the command of Kang Hong Rip surrendered to the Manchu

Prior to the Battle of Sarhu, Gwanghaegun had sent a message to Nurhaci through travelling merchants that the Ming was forcing Joseon to deploy troops: "My state has been forced by the Chinese Court to dispatch troops. But our troops will arrive late and be deployed behind the Chinese army, you should understand this...". Nurhaci understood, & replied "My state understands the intent of your country. On learning that Kang Hong Rip had surrendered to the Manchu, the Joseon Court & the Bibyeonsa (the Border Defense Council) demanded the arrest of Kang’s entire family, as Kang Hong Rip’s actions were according to Gwanghaegun’s intention, however, Gwanghaegun failed to meet these demands.

Gwanghaegun’s policy of playing the two powers off of one another was effective in avoiding military losses, but violated the traditional Korean policy of "deference towards the greater power (Ming)", the orthodox & widely held to belief of most Koreans at the time. In February of 1623, Gwanghaegun was dethroned in a coup at the Korean court, & first confined to Ganghwa Island, and was later sent to Jeju Island, where he died in exile at the age of 67.

Gwanghaegun’s shift away from the equilibrium of the tributary system placed his throne in danger a threat that would undoubtedly act as a constant deterrent to future Joseon kings to repeat such mistakes, & hence to maintain the stability of the Joseon regime under the tributary system, for next 250 years.

Meanwhile Injo experience the wrath of the Manchu in the 2 invasion (1627 &1636) but Joseon still maintain its independence after Injo submission, while else China was conquered & Manchu became the ruler of China (1644-1912)

In Joseon Dynasty, depose King are not honoured with temple name. There are 2 deposed Kings in Joseon Dynasty - Yeonsangun & Gwanghaegun

Archived