[Drama 2015] Hwajung 화정

ChelseaS

CGDDkRXUoAA5KcS[1]

@‌SMP567

As for the image of the rice cakes & hangwa (Korean confectionery) that accompany the tea, that is located on the right side of the tray, here are some I can recognise

In the centre of the tray furthest to your perspective, mugwort rice cake (ssuk beomul 쑥버물) rice cake made of glutinous rice flour mixed with mugwort and beans & steam.

Then next to it is Injeomi tteok (rice cake 인절미떡) yellowish rice cake made from pounded glutinous rice flour, steam & coated with powdered roasted soya beans powder.

Below the Injeomi is Songpyeon (rice cake 송편 - pink & green), also rice cake from pounded glutinous rice flour, steam over a layer of pine needles & it had a wrap sweet filling sesame seeds & honey, sweet red bean paste, & chestnuts

Below the Songpyeon is Yaksik (약식 - cookie) sweetened rice with dried fruit & nuts - Korean muesli bar

Below Yasik is the yakgwa (약과  - cookie with flower shape) made of honey, wheat flour, sesame seed oil with juice of ginger & cinnamon

Centre of the tray below the mugwort rice cake, the colourful coin size cookies is the Dasik (다식), it is a snack that is eaten only accompany the Korean tea.

Dasik is made from nongmal, a starch made from potatoes, sweet potatoes or mung bean kneaded into a dough then press into a mould called Dasikpan  (다식판 - pattern press mould) to form its shape & stamp/emboss with decorative patterns

The Jilsiru Rice Cake café (질시루) at Insadong will offer you these variety of sweet & cookie

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@gerrytan8063    Thank you so much for such interesting info. 

Just curious. During the Darye Tea Ritual you attended in Gyeongbokgung Palace, did you by any chance notice whether men

- used the white paper to wrap the sweets before they ate them?
- ate the sweets with 2 hands while covering their mouths like Hwa yi did in the drama? 

@SMP567

During the Darye I attended, we were given wooden cocktail forks for our sweet & cookies

For your query & my explanation

"used the white paper to wrap the sweet before they ate them"

Long before wooden cocktail forks & wet wipes arrive in Joseon dynasty, using your fingers to eat is deem "rude & unhygienic". Until now, it is not proper to use your fingers to eat, although it is condone in a home environment but not on social function or meals with strangers around

Therefore the said white paper to eat the sweets act as paper holder or a paper tissue to aid consumption

"ate the sweet with 2 hands while covering their mouth like Yi did in the drama"

Korean chew their food with their mouth closed, even during meals, uneatable parts such as bones or fish bones are quietly discarded by wrapping them in paper so that others wouldn't see it, nowadays Korean restaurant will supply a small pail line with plastic bags where you can discard the unwanted especially in a Fried Chicken shop. Don't put them on the table or floor

Korean social etiquette that they will accept food, items & money with 2 hands therefore will consume using 2 hands

In Japan, small sweet called wagashi (Japanese confectionery) is eaten from special paper used for miscellaneous purposes called kaishi (懐紙) equivalent to a Japanese version of a tissue or in Korean (Da Ji 다지 - Dasik Jong Yi - 다식종이, give as a caption in the scene) 

2015052622593912515-540x1096[1]

Information regards to Princess Jeongmyeong aka Hwa Yi bracelet

It is actually the Guan Yin (Goddess of Mercy) Dzi Bead Braclet (21 beads) which is said to epitomise the essence of The Goddess of Mercy, also know as Chenrezig, the Buddha of Compassion & Tibet's most revered Buddha. The Dzi bracelet assist the wearer to get out from poverty situaitons & also protect him/her from physical & mental harm. The Dzi brings harmony, compassion & blessing to the owner, at the same time the Dzi helps the wearer to relieve of suffering & loneliness, wearing the Dzi also brings forth mental tranquillity, strong protection & ensure safety in traveling on all modes of transport. The Dzi had a symbol of authority which imbues the wearer with authority & excellent leadership skills. The Dzi beads also help to bring Auspiciousness, Happiness & Fulfillment of Wishes of the wearer

This is really too good to be true amulet but Korean Geomancy (pungsujiri - 풍수지리), do believe in its "power"

hey friends! :) i am planning to watch this show although i dnt like historical stories much but i do like some historical shows like The moon embraces the sun , arang and magistrate , night watchmen. So  is it worth watching? 

@sasha_barbie,  I don;t think this drama would be your cup of tea considering the Saeguks you just named which by the I also like and moon embracing the sun is one of my favorites this Saeguk drama is based on some actual historical figures in the Joseon time period If you like history then I say welcome aboard the drama is good.. Better yet watch it along with all of us so you will see the difference in fiction and non-fiction.. We all will be happy to help you along being the Saeguk lover that I'am.. I could also recommend some for you to watch if your interested in the Saeguk world..  

We do have a love triangle between IW the princess and JW.. 

@SMP567

I am actually a coffee drinker, similar the Japanese's Chado or Chinese Gongfu Tea, too many steps just to brew tea

I will run to Starbucks in to buy a W4,100 Grande Americano (& I can't even request for a 4 shot Americano, a Grande you only get 2 shots), although Korea is the 6th priciest in the 20 OECD country, compare to a Grande Americano in Narita Airport is just W3,000

​@SMP567 Gerry travels often to Korea and Japan we are planning a trip to Korea some of my daily gang members with all my travel plans for this year I'm not sure if my funds can take the strain the upcoming year but I am trying to make other preparations.. @gerrytan8063, I got tickled when you said to many steps in the tea process nothing say it better then a good old Lipton tea bag LOL  That's the US for everything is done for convience just take a look at our cooking shows all done in a matter of 15 to 30 min for the busy working mom or dad..

It is actually the Guan Yin (Goddess of Mercy) Dzi Bead Braclet (21 beads) which is said to epitomise the essence of The Goddess of Mercy, also know as Chenrezig, the Buddha of Compassion & Tibet's most revered Buddha. The Dzi bracelet assist the wearer to get out from poverty situaitons & also protect him/her from physical & mental harm. The Dzi brings harmony, compassion & blessing to the owner, at the same time the Dzi helps the wearer to relieve of suffering & loneliness, wearing the Dzi also brings forth mental tranquillity, strong protection & ensure safety in traveling on all modes of transport. The Dzi had a symbol of authority which imbues the wearer with authority & excellent leadership skills. The Dzi beads also help to bring Auspiciousness, Happiness & Fulfillment of Wishes of the wearer

This is really too good to be true amulet but Korean Geomancy (pungsujiri - 풍수지리), do believe in its "power"

@gerrytan8063,  Thanks for explaining the meaning od the princess bracelet I hope nothing bad happens to her since she's not wearing it now and in one of those previews I seen she was with her mother in the palace so maybe she'll get it back.. 

@SMP567

During the Darye I attended, we were given wooden cocktail forks for our sweet & cookies

For your query & my explanation

"used the white paper to wrap the sweet before they ate them"

Long before wooden cocktail forks & wet wipes arrive in Joseon dynasty, using your fingers to eat is deem "rude & unhygienic". Until now, it is not proper to use your fingers to eat, although it is condone in a home environment but not on social function or meals with strangers around

Therefore the said white paper to eat the sweets act as paper holder or a paper tissue to aid consumption

"ate the sweet with 2 hands while covering their mouth like Hwa Yi did in the drama"

Korean chew their food with their mouth closed, even during meals, uneatable parts such as bones or fish bones are quietly discarded by wrapping them in paper so that others wouldn't see it, nowadays Korean restaurant will supply a small pail line with plastic bags where you can discard the unwanted especially in a Fried Chicken shop. Don't put them on the table or floor

Korean social etiquette that they will accept food, items & money with 2 hands therefore will consume using 2 hands

​@gerrytan8063  Wow!  Thank you so much for answering my questions in details. 。◕‿◕。

Based on your reply, I assume that the Darye Tea Etiquette is the same for both men and women. Therefore, the king can only tell that Hwa yi has the experience of living in the palace or yangban households and is not the slave class by birth. ( He didn't buy the story that her father was a fisherman from a seaside town!) 

However, Gwanghae won't be able to tell that Hwa yi is a woman in disguise yet (since her manner during the tea time is the same for man or woman).  So I guess there's a possibility that the princess will continue hiding her identity in the next episode.

We are not even half the drama series yet, if she reveals her identity too soon, it'll kill the fun, yeah?

How far are we into Gwanghae's reign and how old is the Princess?  Gwanghae rule for 15 years, so I guess her identity being exposed will depend on where we are in the reign.  

Hi ​@tulip06  Great comment!
I don't remember seeing any mentioning of the year Gwanghae has reigned so far. We haven't seen much of his work except this weapon development. But I'll assume a minimum of 5 years into the reign. It should take at least that much time for the princess to grow up and lose her baby fat to the point that her own brother and the 2 boys who liked her can't recognize her now.

Guest Rita1986

How far are we into Gwanghae's reign and how old is the Princess?  Gwanghae rule for 15 years, so I guess her identity being exposed will depend on where we are in the reign.  

​If I'm not mistaken the drama said that 7 years had passed when Hong Joo Won went to Japan and the princess appeared all grown up.. 

I think the coup will happen around the middle part of ep 20 going into the 30's. So we still have a ways to go unless all of the most serious events will happen towards the end but I can't see they bring in what's his name towards the end.. I also thought GW reign for about 15 yrs..  

Just one bad guy, Kang, alone has already masterminded the death of the ex-king, the execution of the ex-prime minister ( Lee Deok Hyung ), the murder of the grand prince, the exile of the queen, and the princess' runaway !

Now Gwanghae has a new enemy who is by his side pretending to work for him. What more disaster can this guy, Heo Gyun, bring?

Can our boyish princess handle these 2 baddies combined?

Guest purpledrama

Heo Gyun choose Kang Joo Sun, will he really betray Gwanghae?

Do not quote images

Woww i was like whatttttt when he killed the other guy i was likeeee whattt wasn't he supposed to take him to the king to confess? ??? 

Well u cant trust no one now politics started.

Woww i was like whatttttt when he killed the other guy i was likeeee whattt wasn't he supposed to take him to the king to confess? ??? Well u cant trust no one now politics started.

You are right!  After killing the witness the king wanted, that man lied to Gwanghae flat on his face and the king didn't even know it!!

Another name of this drama is "Splendid Politics".  Let's see how SPLENDID POLITICS can be!

Hello all, I have been lurking for a while reading all the posts in this drama which i have to say I am addicted to and I finally decided to post. I just read a an online report in the Korea Times about this drama which I would like to share. Maybe you have read it too.

This is an excerpt from a write up regarding the drama Hwa Jeong as reported in the Korea Times. Reading this gave me some perspective of what to expect from and how to understand the drama as I view it. For me, the synopsis of the drama is somehow confusing because it gave the impression that this drama is mostly about betrayal and revenge of a princess. But as explained in this report, Hwajung seems to span a longer period covering the lives of 3 kings,their story and the characters they relate to including the princess. Sure the princess is a main character but she is not the only driver of the storyline. I understand that Gwanghae did bad actions but at the same time accomplished good things for his people and his country. Maybe before he exits the drama, we will get to see some of those good deeds such as the establishment of identification process, publishing of literary work and diplomacy in foreign affairs.

Here is the excerpt......

At a press event, producer Kim Sang-ho described "Hwajeong" (Splendid Politics) as "faction" ( combination of fact and fiction) and resolved not to distort history. "It'll be a cross between fact and fiction" Kim said. "It won't stray too far from facts, but seasoning will add flavor to the plot."

He continued, "Because it's a 50-episode drama, a lot of actors will come and go as the story progresses — they may die, be born, be exiled or return.Rather than focus on one character's life story, ‘Hwajeong' will bring history, as it occurred, to viewers."

Kim said the planning for "Hwajeong" began with Italian historian Benedetto Croce's quote, "all history is contemporary history."

"This is why I believe viewers enjoy period dramas so much," he said. "The history covered in ‘Hwajeong' will undoubtedly serve as a mirror for modern day Korea."

"Hwajeong," an MBC production that will celebrate the broadcaster's 54th anniversary, will center on Gwanghaegun, the 15th king of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), who was deposed in a coup and demoted to prince. It will draw on the theme of human ambition and power, such as with the aristocrats under Gwanghaegun's regime, and will focus on Gwanghaegun's transformation as ambition taints his otherwise spotless reputation.

"‘Hwajeong' is not a fantasy period drama nor is it a heavy historical production like KBS's ‘Jingbirok,'" Kim said. "It's somewhere in between. Our consumers are our viewers and it seems this is what they want."

Cha, to appear as Gwanghaegun, will carry the first half, while Kim Jae-won, to portray an ambitious Injo, the 16th king of Joseon, will helm the second.

Guest Tae_Sasha

hey friends! :) i am planning to watch this show although i dnt like historical stories much but i do like some historical shows like The moon embraces the sun , arang and magistrate , night watchmen. So  is it worth watching? 

@sasha_barbie,  I don;t think this drama would be your cup of tea considering the Saeguks you just named which by the I also like and moon embracing the sun is one of my favorites this Saeguk drama is based on some actual historical figures in the Joseon time period If you like history then I say welcome aboard the drama is good.. Better yet watch it along with all of us so you will see the difference in fiction and non-fiction.. We all will be happy to help you along being the Saeguk lover that I'am.. I could also recommend some for you to watch if your interested in the Saeguk world..  

​Yah Thank you. I actually donno anything about history of korea even i donno well about history of my own country :P but i think i should try some and see whether it works for me.. anyways thank u so much for ur concern :). Nice to meet u

Hello @zenya22, 
Welcome to the discussion. It is very nice to have you share your opinion. Your post is very insightful. I'm sure other members will enjoy reading it. I particularly like these few lines.

"I understand that Gwanghae did bad actions but at the same time accomplished good things for his people and his country. Maybe before he exits the drama, we will get to see some of those good deeds such as the establishment of identification process, publishing of literary work and diplomacy in foreign affairs."

I also look forward to seeing King Gwanghae's accomplishments for Joseon, how he was dethroned, and the result of that. The new generation Koreans have been making movements to acknowledge and study the many great works left by this king despite the fact that the posthumous restoration of his name does not happen and he is not buried in Joseon royal tomb nor is given a temple name like other kings.

"all history is contemporary history."
That is a great quote. 

"The history covered in ‘Hwajeong' will undoubtedly serve as a mirror for modern day Korea."
If the Koreans both north and south can learn something from this, perhaps the road towards the United Korea may become reality one day....

Archived