How do you feel about starting a relationship in a video game?

RobinB

I'm a little surprised no one is having any negative thoughts about this. I mean sure it's good to meet up but I have met people over a game that were a couple without meeting? I don't get how someone can be in love with someone else that they haven't met. Talking is very different from daily habits and motions. Perhaps I'm the only one to think that way. 

RobinB said: I'm a little surprised no one is having any negative thoughts about this. I mean sure it's good to meet up but I have met people over a game that were a couple without meeting? I don't get how someone can be in love with someone else that they haven't met. Talking is very different from daily habits and motions. Perhaps I'm the only one to think that way. 

Guest shellebelles

Speaking as someone who plays a lot of games (including world of warcraft back in the days), I do not see anything wrong with finding love through games. After all, there is already something in common right?

RobinB, to me it seems you are slightly ignorant because maybe you are not exposed to how its possible to 'bond' over playing games together. I've personally never dated anyone online but I've made very good friends that i've kept in touch with over the years. They've cheered me up and gave me advice during the rough periods and were happy for me when i accomplished anything. We're all normal people enjoying a hobby with one another.

A lot of people give people who met through a game a lot of backlash but to me, its much better than finding someone over a matchmaking site. (not that I see anything wrong with it). At least you get to know the person a little bit (albeit through the interwebs) before deciding if you want to take things further. I know a lot of people who met through gaming and they are very happy. However, I have to agree with silent.dragon and other posters who might have mention the negatives of this (including being cheated etc) so its important to be careful and to know that not everyone on the internet is sunshine and roses.

I can see friendships forming through video games because there is something in common. However, I think romantic relationships require more than having one thing in common. Now, I'm going to be honest and say I don't really play video games so maybe I just don't understand. However, in an average game- how much time do you guys have to interact with each other while playing the game? If there is plenty of time to talk- I guess I can see it happen. However, if the time is limited to just talking about the game or just limited in general then there needs to be outside communication to evolve the friendship into something more. Also there is something extremely intimate and real about meeting someone in person. At some point I feel as though you would have to meet this person. I don't think it's possible to have a completely online relationship without ever meeting. Through online interactions people have the ability to pause and think before responding. In person, you get to see everything about this person. How they interact with you, with others around them, with their environment. All of that is important in a relationship. I'm rambling I think lol I'm not sure if it's just because I'm naive when it comes to video games, but I think to begin engage in a romantic relationship people have to meet in person lol 

shellebelles said: Speaking as someone who plays a lot of games (including world of warcraft back in the days), I do not see anything wrong with finding love through games. After all, there is already something in common right?

RobinB, to me it seems you are slightly ignorant because maybe you are not exposed to how its possible to 'bond' over playing games together. I've personally never dated anyone online but I've made very good friends that i've kept in touch with over the years. They've cheered me up and gave me advice during the rough periods and were happy for me when i accomplished anything. We're all normal people enjoying a hobby with one another.

A lot of people give people who met through a game a lot of backlash but to me, its much better than finding someone over a matchmaking site. (not that I see anything wrong with it). At least you get to know the person a little bit (albeit through the interwebs) before deciding if you want to take things further. I know a lot of people who met through gaming and they are very happy. However, I have to agree with silent.dragon and other posters who might have mention the negatives of this (including being cheated etc) so its important to be careful and to know that not everyone on the internet is sunshine and roses.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shellebelles

RobinB said: shellebelles said: Speaking as someone who plays a lot of games (including world of warcraft back in the days), I do not see anything wrong with finding love through games. After all, there is already something in common right?

shellebelles said: RobinB said: shellebelles said: Speaking as someone who plays a lot of games (including world of warcraft back in the days), I do not see anything wrong with finding love through games. After all, there is already something in common right?

I met my husband online in a game. We were married in game first too, but I asked to meet him when I realized he was local first, because I knew how easy getting a crush was and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with a jerk again.  Fast forward 13 years, and we've been married for 12 years, friends for 13 years.

It can work.

winterstar5 said: I met my husband online in a game. We were married in game first too, but I asked to meet him when I realized he was local first, because I knew how easy getting a crush was and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with a jerk again.  Fast forward 13 years, and we've been married for 12 years, friends for 13 years.

It can work.

RobinB said: winterstar5 said: I met my husband online in a game. We were married in game first too, but I asked to meet him when I realized he was local first, because I knew how easy getting a crush was and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with a jerk again.  Fast forward 13 years, and we've been married for 12 years, friends for 13 years.

It can work.

Guest samuelduval1

No I never want to feel about a relationship in a video game because love happens with feelings and I video games are having no feelings. Feeling is most important for me in love. 

RobinB said: I'm a little surprised no one is having any negative thoughts about this. I mean sure it's good to meet up but I have met people over a game that were a couple without meeting? I don't get how someone can be in love with someone else that they haven't met. Talking is very different from daily habits and motions. Perhaps I'm the only one to think that way. 

Meany-chan said: I understand what you mean. It seems like everyday there is a new way for people to stop interacting in reality when people would rather interact through texts, messaging, video chat, online games, etc. I knew a friend who wanted to move in with a guy she met through a gaming site called omgpop. They started to talk through videochat and she was emotionally hurt by him telling her the abusive things he wants to do to her. She even wanted to meet this other guy a few states over because she talked to him through videochat (also met him through omgpop). To be cautious, she wanted me to go with her but it never happened.

I used to play a lot of pokemon things online and just the thought of meeting these people in real life was just soooo off-putting. I just thought it was soooo weird, and no, I would NOT do it. I think I feel better about it now than before, but before, man... that thought was just so unheard of!!! so weird!

This summer I met a girl whom I went on a couple dates with. She was pretty cute no doubt, and I met her at the beach, had a decent convo and exchanged numbers etc. It turns out she was visiting a guy (her now bf) for the first time after skyping and playing Mabinogi together for 2 years. Him Hawaii, her Washington. Haha, sh*x. wow that stuff actually works!!! I was a bit jealous tbh, but I have to say, I accomplished in a couple hours what that guy accomplished in a year, because I was upfront in person, and she happened to like it too. I'm convinced she liked me... for the next couple weeks after she went back, she texted me all the time... and then I noticed she stopped when she made it official with that other guy.

I don't think it is weird.
As long as both party is honest with each other and develops their relationship outside of the game, I don't see it a problem.The game it self is just a different way of meeting new people right?

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh.. It is not weird for me. It could happen and work pretty good.
I met my fiance on this social networking site, came from different countries but we're engage now, just a month and few days left until our 6 years together. :D

Guest yeonjiii

I don't really see the difference between dating through an online dating site and a video game. As long as both are honest and serious about the relationship, then they should go for it!
Anything is possible.

Archived