[Drama 2014] Fated To Love You, 운명처럼 널 사랑해

Go Seung Ji

DB year end review part 3
The art of lie detection [Year in Review, Part 3]by HeadsNo2 | December 19, 2014 | 67 Comments

YearInReviewFeature.jpgYearInReviewSmallcopy.jpg

I think I echo the entire human race when I say that there was something in the air this year that made the days go by faster. What other explanation could there be for the fact that it’s December again? Why does the end of the year have to be once a year? Maybe we should execute a search and rescue mission for all the time we lost—that stuff’s got to go somewhere, right? I’ll try checking the junk drawer.

If there seems to be little rhyme or reason in the review choices this year, it’s because there isn’t. I mostly just picked at random, hoping to break the pattern of expectation versus reality caused by following teams from dramas I liked to dramas I usually don’t like. But with the fast turnout rate required by the insatiable beast that is dramaland, it turns out that avoiding a production team’s reunion would only be possible by stopping my drama intake entirely.

And since that’s not a viable option in any universe/alternate timeline, the solution to the inevitable ebb and flow of drama watching remains the same. I’ve just got to pony up and take ‘em as they come, which is what it means to consume entertainment. Or is it? Why take my word for it anyway?

Ooh, I’ve got an idea! Let’s play a game. You decide which of two statements is true, and which is a liar-liar-pants-on-fire falsehood. Good luck, and god speed!

Fated To Love You

FatedToLoveYou01.jpg

Fated To Love You OST – Ailee – “잠시 안녕처럼 (Goodbye My Love)” [ Download ]

Hands down, this was my most anticipated drama of the year. Back in the days where we had to walk fifteen miles to the nearest underground streaming site, every episode was split into no less than six parts and accessible only through a web browser (you darn kids have it so easy now with your glass rectangles and moving picture shows). The original Taiwanese version of Fated To Love You was reaching unprecedented ratings at home and a surprising amount of popularity abroad in a world that was still fairly new to streaming subs, and transcended linguistic and cultural barriers to become the crack drama to end all crack dramas. It was cheesy, it was soapy, it was so far from perfect that it didn’t even know how to spell it, but it’ll always hold a special place in my heart.

cr and more: dramabeans

Guest rintintintin

Geeezzzzz, did i miss everything??? I'm so sorry gals bec. I'm very busy for everything like work and family (even though I'm single lol!) Belated Happy Birthday Jang hyuk shii! Sorry for not greeting you there bec. of being busy bee lols! :P But at least I remember your special day lols.

You know gals, when i go to MBC website for MBC drama awards, my brother who's not a fan of that voting site, he said to me this: "How come that there's only ONE winner for best couple?" I know this is so insane but only ONE winner? If our snail couple didn't win *I hope they grab that award* as best couple, I will shave my head on this lol.

honeywell said: I'm watching the director's cut of episode 1 now and WOW there were a lot of scenes that they cut! It's like almost 10 minutes of deleted scenes and they're not even in Macau yet. Isn't it great?! I'm on episode 9 right now and I'm amazed at how many extra scenes there have been so far! ... and I FULLY appreciate every single one of them because they really help the development of the story. They weren't actually useless or filler scenes that ended up getting cut, but scenes that unfortunately never made it on air due to time restraints. I think all these new scenes rounds the plot out even better. I didn't think I could love FTLY more than I already did, but by watching the director's cut, I love it even more.

Guest TinaA1430294419

I found some FTLY DVD sets listed on Ebay but the prices seemed a bit too cheap.  My guess is that these are copies and not very good ones???

akinahana89 said:

Isn't it great?! I'm on episode 9 right now and I'm amazed at how many extra scenes there have been so far! ... and I FULLY appreciate every single one of them because they really help the development of the story. They weren't actually useless or filler scenes that ended up getting cut, but scenes that unfortunately never made it on air due to time restraints. I think all these new scenes rounds the plot out even better. I didn't think I could love FTLY more than I already did, but by watching the director's cut, I love it even more.

@honeywell
There's a really, really touching scene between Daniel and Mi Young that I really enjoyed in one of the episodes (can't recall which one off the top of my head) and felt sad about since it never made it onto the televised version. It gave me a slightly better insight towards Daniel as I could never understand how someone who always treated Mi Young as a young sister and always referred to himself as the "neighborhood oppa" would suddenly develop romantic interest in her, especially since, to me, there was never that kind of vibe from beginning to end.

But with this scene in the director's cut, I suddenly could understand how Daniel would, perhaps unexpectedly, fall for Mi Young. I never shipped them together, not for a single moment, but at least I can come to terms with it now. lol

DramaFever is open for voting for end of the year awards and one of the picks for best drama (I think that's the category.) was such a jaw-dropper because the OTP had ZERO, and I mean ZERO, chemistry and love line. I felt sorry for the actor and actress because there was absolutely NOTHING to work with in the script.  To think it was chosen over FtLY is beyond my scope of understanding based on OTP and story. WOW!!!!! 
I didn't expect FtLY to be recognized at end of the year awards ceremonies very much because it was a remake.  It's just this great gem that we here on the forum know about (along with silent others).  I hoped the Jangs would at least be recognized, but Jang Nara is nowhere in sight at DramaFever.  That's a real shame! She's oh-so-deserving for episode 12 alone of every actress award in SK and any other nation where K-dramas are recognized and rewarded.  @linxg2 mentioned she's scheduled to be at MBC's award ceremony gives me hope that she's won something.  I hope it's for FtLY more than for MB.
FtLY is easily, hands-down best romantic k-drama ever for me. There's FtLY and then we can debate all of the others.  It stands alone and above. (my .02.) 

Guest TinaA1430294419

only1khj said: DramaFever is open for voting for end of the year awards and one of the picks for best drama (I think that's the category.) was such a jaw-dropper because the OTP had ZERO, and I mean ZERO, chemistry and love line. I felt sorry for the actor and actress because there was absolutely NOTHING to work with in the script.  To think it was chosen over FtLY is beyond my scope of understanding based on OTP and story. WOW!!!!! 
I didn't expect FtLY to be recognized at end of the year awards ceremonies very much because it was a remake.  It's just this great gem that we here on the forum know about (along with silent others).  I hoped the Jangs would at least be recognized, but Jang Nara is nowhere in sight at DramaFever.  That's a real shame! She's oh-so-deserving for episode 12 alone of every actress award in SK and any other nation where K-dramas are recognized and rewarded.  @linxg2 mentioned she's scheduled to be at MBC's award ceremony gives me hope that she's won something.  I hope it's for FtLY more than for MB.
FtLY is easily, hands-down best romantic k-drama ever for me. There's FtLY and then we can debate all of the others.  It stands alone and above. (my .02.) 

I don't know how many remakes are done, but they should have their own award category since it's really a challenge both for the actors and writers to do the same story yet make it different enough to keep people watching (and then hopefully not think about the original and like the new show for itself.)

honeywell said: @akinahana89‌ since we seem to be watching together was there any deleted scenes in disc 3? I finished episode 6 and i didn't notice any deleted scenes in episode 6. Now that you mention it, @honeywell, I can't recall any deleted scenes from episode 6... I'll rewatch tonight after work to double check!

Hey guys! Did you check out the 10th annual Soompi Awards? FTLY is a nominee for A LOT of awards! Jang Nara for Best Actress, Jang Hyuk for Best Actor, JNR and JH for Best Couple, FTLY for Best Drama, JH and Sec. Tak up for Best Bromance, and Ailee's "Goodbye My Love" and Jung Dong Ha's "Destiny Sonata" is up for Best Drama OST.

Here's the link to vote: http://www.soompi.com/soompi-awards-2014-vote/

And happy holidays, everyone!