[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

dualnon said: Just had a horrible thought.  What if a US production company does a remake.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/markets-festivals/u-s-tv-producers-in-bigger-hunt-for-overseas-series-to-remake-1201152931/

Turn on the TV on any given day and you’re likely to be watching a scripted series borne of a foreign country and reformatted for an American audience. From Showtime’s “Shameless” — a revamp of a British series — and “Homeland” — which originated as the popular Israeli skein “Prisoners of War” — to Fox’s recent reconditioning of Peter Duncan’s Aussie legal drama “Rake,” American programming is truly the product of a global show swap. And while influential remakes of British hits “Sanford and Son” and “All in the Family” were breaking down smallscreen barriers long before “The Office” landed on American soil, today’s ever-expanding TV industry is on a fiendish hunt for overseas series in a way it never has before.

Just finished ep 16. As though it is not cruel enough to let her shed her usual glam wear for prison garb and give her a bad haircut, why did Writernim make HW snore too?! Poor HW. Poor KHA! Hahaa Now we know HW snores, and soon SJ will know she snores too! Yikes!

@chingulinka @slalove @junebugg @ktomato thank you so much for the comfort and insight analysis, those really make me feel better, and though i'm not 100% convert yet (i know what can i say i've been a realist for too long), at least now i can open my eyes to watch the prison visit scene and the last scene of HW in prison garb looking out from ep16 lol (u see i've been one eye shut other eye open while watching it before lol).
@seungshinl sunbae, please continue the good work :) you have no idea how happy i am that you're willing to spend your precious time to translate the script just to satisfied our SLA thirst.

oh, i almost forgot, remember the jail visit scene (i know i'm sorry that i keep bringing this up), i don't understand why HW look so uncomfortable, she sat there in front of SJ and she didn't dare to look at him, was she embarrass for she's in prison? i thought they're all open to each other now and that they should be very comfortable around each other, but somehow i still feel this awkwarness coming from HW.
somebody please shed a light on this for me, thanks :)

ktomato said: Just finished ep 16. As though it is not cruel enough to let her shed her usual glam wear for prison garb and give her a bad haircut, why did Writernim make HW snore too?! Poor HW. Poor KHA! Hahaa Now we know HW snores, and soon SJ will know she snores too! Yikes!

turtle1 said: oh, i almost forgot, remember the jail visit scene (i know i'm sorry that i keep bringing this up), i don't understand why HW look so uncomfortable, she sat there in front of SJ and she didn't dare to look at him, was she embarrass for she's in prison?

Did anyone here ever discuss why HW ask SJ not to play with the quintet? I think there are 2 version of subs for this scene. One of the had HW explaining something about the quintet needing to gain entrance into school or something and the other had her saying that the quintet was not up to SJs standard. The latter remark was quite mean. I tot it might be a moment of anger kind of remark. HW doesn't seem to be the sort who is condescending towards the less fortunate.

ktomato

said:

seungshinl

said:

alambala

said:

cecilia

said:

junebugg

said:

@cecilia 

[size=2]

Ok, so let me get this straight. At Hongdae, SJ believes getting caught as a couple is more 'meaningful' (read deep) than being found on the bed, as two people enslaved to their carnality. 

[/size][size=2]

[/size][size=2]

So 10 years is an epithet to "the couple who have achieved 'trust, comittment and understanding,' past the initial romantic or sexual love."

[/size][size=2]

[/size][size=2]

With that established, we should be reading his delivery at the prison scene as, "I don't know if we will be toegther until romatic love dies out, or until we are a blissful couple....

[/size][size=2]

[/size][size=2]

Apologies, but it still feels severely restricted in terms of his expectation for them. My only crib over that scene (or few of them from Ep 16) is that we shouldn't have to coat any frame/dialogue with so much interpretation to make sense of them. Its alright if we will have to use epithets or cross reference episodes to lend meaning to not-so-obvious references, but the delivery written for this scene is quite far from the SJ I know. Perhaps, the actors are not to be found fault for this. If they have executed the script flawlessly up until that point, then I lay down my bets against the writer/execution team, who lost focus towards the end. 

[size=2]

[size=2]

PS - You take all the credit for making me see the Hongdae 10 year reference in new light. THANK YOU!

Thanks for that @seungshinl! (decided not to quote and reply the long string of exchanges because it was really getting too long!) I'm so envious that u can read the script! But at the same time I know too if I could, then I'll be like cecilia too - destroyed by. SLA! Yes now that u pointed it out. I think SJ started to hate JH during the madhouse scene. B4 that I don't think he got to witness the 2 interact much. But all he saw at the madhouse was really the tip of the iceberg! But did he even know that JH was just putting on a show? He could have thought JH was genuinely being loving to his wife by asking her to sit beside him, placing his arm on her shoulders, feeding her food, etc. So perhaps SJ was hating JH not because he tot JH was treating HW badly but because of plan jealousy. But of course by the scene where JH brought on the police to SJs home, SJ should have realised then what a jerk JH was.

ktomato said: Did anyone here ever discuss why HW ask SJ not to play with the quintet? I think there are 2 version of subs for this scene. One of the had HW explaining something about the quintet needing to gain entrance into school or something and the other had her saying that the quintet was not up to SJs standard. The latter remark was quite mean. I tot it might be a moment of anger kind of remark. HW doesn't seem to be the sort who is condescending towards the less fortunate.

ktomato said:

Did anyone here ever discuss why HW ask SJ not to play with the quintet? I think there are 2 version of subs for this scene. One of the had HW explaining something about the quintet needing to gain entrance into school or something and the other had her saying that the quintet was not up to SJs standard. The latter remark was quite mean. I tot it might be a moment of anger kind of remark. HW doesn't seem to be the sort who is condescending towards the less fortunate.

i don't understand her remark in that scene either, like u said it totally out of HW character to say something mean and arrogant like that given how nice and respect she treat people despite their background in the previous episodes. this scene and the scene when HW visited SJ that night when she told him she will meet w/ the prosecutor and his reaction was pretty much nonchalant didn't care for her one bit, i would expect him to advice her to accept the negotiation or say something to show that he's concern like "i don't want to see you in prison"...something along that line, but instead he started to talk about something else. i mean is SJ that innocent to believe that she won't end up in jail.

that why i said the writer really messed up the last episode big time, both SJ and HW actions were so out of their character, very inconsistent w/ the SJ and HW we come to know and love since ep1. 

the only excuse that i can think of for HW is that maybe she cares too much for SJ's future that she didn't want him to hang out w/ the "losers" as they might bring him down. it's more for his own good. still, the loving and caring HW from ep1 to 15 would very unlikely to make that kind of remark.

the thing is i find it very "cute" that SJ can't stay mad that HW for long, that night when he open the door and saw her he immediately drag her inside, i thought he would just stand there and ask her why came here so late. and before that after the motel misunderstanding incident, the next day he came to the school again he couldn't stay mad at her and told her something like he's worry for her well being instead of staying angry at her.

it comforting to know that they can't stay mad at each other for long, this is good for their life together later on, don't u think so? hehe

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I think it's hard for us to understand why SJ reacted the way that he did when he found out she was going to jail because pdnim didn't show us a large part of that conversation. They drank a whole cup of piping hot tea so that must've been long. It would take me at least an hour. The conversation by the time we saw it started with her concluding that "that's what they call negotiation something. So its possible that SJ may have reacted very badly at the realisatuon that HW was going to prison. He could've desperately explored other options that didn't require incarceration (just as I did in an earlier post - dont go jail but HW returns all she has and leaves Seo Han and corruption world?). If I can ask that then surely SJ would've done so too. HW probably showed absolute resolve to proceed with her jail plans since she even plans on not appealing and not negotiating and also when she spoke with the prosecutor, she said she's surrendering herself partly for personal reason (50%) and partly becoz she couldn't stand Seo Han and Kim getting everything. Being the kind decent soul that she is she probably wants to atone her sins against the kids at school and ensure the victimization stops. If that's the case (hahahaha I just realized that I've put so much words into HW n SJ's mouth without any basis I'm looking like a desperate deranged SLA fan), then SJ's seemingly nonchalant attitude is a misunderstanding. Ok just so u get a little straw to grasp, there is one concrete example SJ is not as cold hearted as u've imagined - when he hugged her after the tea drinking, he was crying. U could hear his sob.

Hahahaha yes yes! I love it too that he can't get angry with her no matter. I think even if HW didn't go to jail he would've soften his stance and bear with her. When he pulled her into his home HW can barely hide her relief and happiness. Ahhh......these 2 will really make a perfect and long lasting pair!!

shamrockmom said:
I really have to thank so many here for making SLA such an enjoyable experience...because of this, I started playing my flute again, one of my patients is going to give me her piano she won't need (she is downsizing into assisted living and no one in her family wants it), so I can learn piano, and I am finally going to resolve a relationship mess that has been going on for almost 30 years.  More importantly, this whole thing gave me something to distract me...my mom committed suicide a little over a week ago..no joke, she had cancer, I think the chemo messed with her mind....and if I didn't have SLA and this board of interesting and funny people to think about, I would probably be in a mental hospital right now myself.
Will check in from time to time as I really enjoy the script translations.  Thanks again!

ktomato said: Did anyone here ever discuss why HW ask SJ not to play with the quintet? I think there are 2 version of subs for this scene. One of the had HW explaining something about the quintet needing to gain entrance into school or something and the other had her saying that the quintet was not up to SJs standard. The latter remark was quite mean. I tot it might be a moment of anger kind of remark. HW doesn't seem to be the sort who is condescending towards the less fortunate.