[Variety] Grandpas over Flowers 꽃보다 할배

On 3/11/2016 at 1:05 PM, Niel2804 said:

Season 1 full ep ^^ unfortunatelly ep 11 is not subbed T.T hing~~~~

and you are welcome XD

Here the link

Thanks alot! You are my savior!!! But can you reupload the Taiwan part? I can't find it anywhere. Thank you again.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

December 3, 2016

Lee Seo Jin Jokes About His And Shinhwa Member Eric’s First Meeting

Source: Soompi  by A. Aspera

lee seo jin

On the December 3 broadcast of KBS2’s “Entertainment Weekly,” actor Lee Seo Jin talked about some of the people he has befriended through his projects.

While bringing up the actor’s colleagues Lee Soon Jae, Jo Jae Hyun, Na Young Suk, Shinhwa’s Eric, and Kim Kwang Gyu, the host exclaimed, “Eric said that everyone who meets Lee Seo Jin becomes timid.”

Spoiler

lee seo jin eric

When asked if Eric becomes modest in front of him as well, Lee Seo Jin shared, “Yes, Eric is an incredibly kind guy. He always has been.”

They cracked up when Lee Seo Jin joked that his friend was so timid that “when we first met on the set of the 2004 MBC drama ‘Phoenix,’ he bowed while on his knees to greet me.” The actor later explained that he happened to arrived while Eric was sitting on his knees.

Additionally, Lee Seo Jin selected Lee Soon Jae as the colleague he still wants to be close to in the next life. Showing deep respect for the actor, he said, “I’d like to be reborn as Lee Soon Jae’s son.”

Looks like Eric definitely gave Lee Seo Jin a strong first impression!

Source (1)

• 5 months later...

May 6, 2017

Yoon Yeo Jung Has Nothing But Praise For Lee Seo Jin’s Behavior Towards The Elderly

Source: Soompi by D. Kim

Yoon-Yeo-Jung-Lee-Seo-Jin-Shin-Goo-XPN.jpg

Actress Yoon Yeo Jung complimented Lee Seo Jin for the way he treated her and Shin Goo on “Youn’s Kitchen.”

During a recent interview, Yoon Yeo Jung revealed that Lee Seo Jin’s acts of kindness were all genuine. “I was really surprised by the way Lee Seo Jin looked after us. He worked so hard while filming ‘Youn’s Kitchen,’ shopping for groceries and always preparing the meat. He got the restaurant ready [early in the morning] just so I could get out of bed later,” she shared.

lee-seo-jin-yoon-yeo-jung-e1494130302485.jpg

The actress also described what their daily life was like while filming the show. “After closing down the restaurant for the day, we returned home in the evening all tired. Instead of resting, however, Lee Seo Jin always tried to prepare dinner for us. He has such a warm heart.

Getting to share a meal with him, Shin Goo, and Jung Yoo Mi was really a time of healing,” she expressed.

lee-seo-jin-shin-goo.jpg

She further explained how Lee Seo Jin treated Shin Goo. “Because they had filmed the show ‘Grandpas Over Flowers’ before, Lee Seo Jin was already aware of Shin Goo’s dietary preferences and he was able to pay meticulous attention to him,” she added.

Have you been able to notice his thoughtful behavior towards his fellow cast members on “Youn’s Kitchen”?

Source (1)

• 3 weeks later...

May 24, 2017

'Grandpas over Flowers' exported to Italy, Turkey

SEOUL, May 24 (Yonhap) -- A popular variety show featuring grandfathers traveling overseas has been sold to Italy and Turkey, a local cable channel said Wednesday.

The network tvN said it has sealed a deal to export the format of "Grandpas over Flowers" to Italy and Turkey. In 2014, the same program was sold to the U.S. as the first Korean variety show to be exported to the country.

The image provided by tvN shows a poster for the Korean version of "Grandpas over Flowers." (Yonhap)

The image provided by tvN shows a poster for the Korean version of "Grandpas over Flowers." (Yonhap)

The show, which aired on tvN from 2013-15, features four veteran actors in their 70s and 80s going on a backpacking tour.

It is in talks with Poland and Israel for more possible deals, the network said.

The image provided by tvN shows a poster for the Italian version of "Grandpas over Flowers." (Yonhap)

The image provided by tvN shows a poster for the Italian version of "Grandpas over Flowers." (Yonhap)

The Italian version, titled "Meglio Tardi che Mai," which is translated into "Before It is Too Late," began broadcasting on Monday and the Turkish "Dunya Guzellerim" or "My Beautiful World" will air this summer. The cast of the Turkish show is all women. In both countries, it is broadcast in prime time.

The American version "Better Late Than Never" has reportedly completed casting for the season 2.

The image provided by tvN shows a poster for the American version of "Grandpas over Flowers." (Yonhap)

The image provided by tvN shows a poster for the American version of "Grandpas over Flowers." (Yonhap)

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

• 5 weeks later...

Both Lee Seo Jin and Na PD recently were in France at the Cannes Lion Festival of Creativity.  

This a talk they gave about how NaPD came up with the idea and how LSJ has been central to the success of his shows.

It is the most highly viewed talk of the Festival which features some very famous and creative people from all over the globe.  Their talk has received the most attention and views of any of the featured guests and lectures.  (Currently around 100,000 views and counting)

• 3 months later...

October 3, 2017

PD Na Young Suk Opens Up About His Close Friendship With Actor Lee Seo Jin

Source: Soompi by J. Lim    

Na-Young-Suk-Lee-Seo-Jin.jpg

Producing director (PD) Na Young Suk, more commonly known as “Na PD” is often seen as Korea’s hit variety show maker. He has helmed many popular series like “Three Meals a Day,” “New Journey to the West,” and “Youn’s Kitchen” and has earned himself the title “A PD you know you can trust.”

Na Young Suk recently sat down for an interview to talk about his experiences and work principles, and during the conversation, he also opened up about his friendship with actor Lee Seo Jin.

Since his appearance in “Grandpas Over Flowers” in 2013, Lee Seo Jin has worked on a total of seven programs with Na Young Suk, with the most recent being the latest season of “Three Meals a Day.” This would have been impossible if not for the trust these two have for each other.

Na Young Suk explained, “We really trust each other. I usually don’t form personal relationships outside of work with the people who appear on my shows, but I became very close with Lee Seo Jin. He and I both strive to separate work and personal life, and I think our similar principles is what makes me want to keep working with him.”

The PD also shared a story of how he had learned just how thoughtful and considerate Lee Seo Jin can be. He said, “I was once going to invite a guest, but I decided to first ask Lee Seo Jin about it because I felt like they weren’t on the friendliest of terms. I told him that I’d contacted him in case he got caught off guard on set, and he replied, ‘You’re the PD. My job is to just take what you plan and make it a reality. It’s a decision that’s completely up to you, so don’t feel like you need to ask me for permission.'”

Hearing this answer from Lee Seo Jin, Na Young Suk explained that it made him realize just how professional and considerate Lee Seo Jin was, and solidified his desire to keep working with him.

Source (1)

October 5, 2017

Lee Seo Jin Shares Why He Continues To Work With PD Na Young Suk On Variety Shows

Source: Soompi by L. Kim  

Lee-Seo-Jin-Na-Young-Suk.jpg

Recently, actor Lee Seo Jin sat down for an interview where he shared his thoughts on his variety shows appearances and producing director (PD) Na Young Suk.

Lee Seo Jin revealed, “At first, I was tricked and appeared on ‘Grandpas Over Flowers’ out of impulse. The program actually became a hit.” Then he joked, “After that, I continued to work with Na Young Suk, but if [a show] doesn’t do well, we’ll have to go our separate ways then.” Having worked on seven programs with the PD, the actor also shared how he continues to work with Na Young Suk because he likes how all of Na Young Suk’s programs are very down-to-earth.

When asked if Lee Seo Jin and Na Young Suk have been discussing their next project after “Three Meals a Day,” Lee Seo Jin answered, “Truthfully, Na PD and I don’t talk about work a lot. We only talk about it in the office. Even if I ask him, he won’t tell me, and I’m not curious about it either.” He said that even if he does ask, Na Young Suk will say, “It’s better if you don’t know. You’re not going to prepare for it anyways.”

The interviewer pointed out that Lee Seo Jin seemed to be the most comfortable in “Three Meals a Day” because he is the oldest. Contrary to the assumption, Lee Seo Jin said that “Youn’s Kitchen” was the most comfortable program for him. He explained, “First of all, you stay and live in one place. Your lifestyle is regularized, and the view and weather are beautiful.”

Lee Seo Jin admitted the hardest variety show for him was “Grandpas Over Flowers” because they have to keep moving and he has to be in charge of the schedule. He also said “Three Meals a Day” is difficult because they have to make meals.

Which one of Na Young Suk’s programs featuring Lee Seo Jin was your favorite?

Source (1)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

January 23, 2018

Na Young Suk Shares Stories Behind The Creation Of His Hit Variety Shows

Source: Soompi by S. Park

na-young-suk.jpg

Na Young Suk spoke at a seminar sponsored by the Korea Creative Content Agency and shared insights on creating content.

After first becoming a household name as the producing director of “2 Days & 1 Night,” Na Young Suk has been behind many more successful variety programs such as tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen,” “Grandpas Over Flowers,” “Youth Over Flowers,” “Three Meals A Day,” and “New Journey to the West.”

At the event, Na Young Suk was asked to share the secret behind his excellent insight into people. The producing director answered, “I was able to come this far because of my skill in recognizing talented people and pulling it out of them as if it was my own. I was originally a student with very low self-esteem, but what I lacked, I found elsewhere.”

He then shared the thoughts that helped create some of his hit TV shows. In regards to “New Journey to the West,” Na Young Suk revealed, “I was skeptical about the sustainability of the broadcasting system and tried internet content. Internet content doesn’t have a border, so we could test the possibility of the Chinese market.”

Na-Young-Suk1.jpg

Na Young Suk continued, “I failed at achieving these goals so I thought about giving up, but it was fun doing a variety program playing games after doing so many ‘healing’ programs. However, we gained a fandom with the younger audience and then expanded it to other projects such as ‘Kang’s Kitchen.'”

On “The Dictionary of Useless Knowledge,” he commented, “The survival power of content comes from collaborating with new people. I got the idea from a podcast and thought if someone like the writer Yoo Shi Min responded to it, then it spoke positively of the project.”

After leaving KBS, Na Young Suk produced “Grandpas Over Flowers” as his first project at CJ E&M. He stated, “I thought it would be something worth watching if people in their 80s went on a backpacking trip which is usually reserved for young people. At the time, I wrote ‘If old people are happy, then everyone is happy’ on the board. I trusted that the happiness of the older guests would be transmitted to the staff and viewers.”

Na-Young-Suk2.jpg

Na Young Suk spoke of the idea behind “Three Meals A Day” and explained, “There is fun in giving ‘healing’ or information, but there was too much focus on the kind of fun that makes people burst out into laughter. We said let’s make a variety program that puts together all kinds of fun.”

He concluded his lecture with an answer to a question about choosing between what people like versus what he likes. Na Young Suk responded, “I would ultimately have to choose the consumer. Society is gradually becoming a generation of particulars. Variety programs must also narrow in on a focus.”

Source (1)

• 2 months later...

April 22, 2018

Homegrown TV shows, films go global 

Korean TV series, films are localized 

By Kang Hyun-kyung The Korea Times

bc379747f76e45b0a5b3a9d5ecd2fb06.jpg

Four seasoned actors and a guide, top, of tvN's reality show "Grandpas Over Flowers," jump in front of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. / Korea Times file

In the NBC reality TV show about fish out of water, "Better Late Than Never," four seasoned Western celebrities ― William Shatner, Henry Winkler, George Foreman and Terry Bradshaw ― explore Asia and Europe, meet locals and check items off their bucket lists.

Since its first episode in Tokyo aired in August 2016 and hit 7.35 million viewers in America, the TV show released three more episodes filmed in Hong Kong, Seoul, and Thailand. Spurred by its successful first season, NBC released season 2 consisting of seven episodes shot in European cities. 

"Better Late Than Never" is an adaptation of tvN's popular reality program "Grandpas over Flowers." It is the first South Korean TV series that was localized by the American national broadcaster. 

The airing of the reality show came two years after CJ E&M signed a deal allowing NBC to purchase the remaking rights for the popular tvN program "Grandpas Over Flowers." Like the American version, four gray-haired South Korean actors explore foreign cultures with the help of a guide. 

"Grandpas over Flowers" was localized in Italy, Turkey and Ukraine as well.

Remakes of Korean TV series have increased in recent years. Last year, Korean television earned $54.93 million by selling TV formats to foreign broadcasters, mostly in Asia. It is an increase of 40 percent from the previous year. 

In 2015, Thailand purchased the right to remake one South Korean TV show. In 2017, the number rose to nine programs. 

The format of the KBS reality program "The Return of Superman" was sold to U.S. and Thai broadcasters. MBC's hit reality show, "King of Mask Singer," was localized in China, Thailand and Cambodia. Singers wearing masks to hide their identity compete one-on-one in three elimination rounds. 

Lee Myoung-chun, a professor of advertising and PR at Chung-Ang University, said Korean programs are "addictive" and entertaining.

"There is a striking difference between Korean and U.S. TV series in their styles. As you can see, the episodes of U.S. TV series are fragmented. I mean each episode is separate and tells a new story that is not related to the previous episode," he said. "Unlike U.S. TV series, all episodes of Korean dramas are related and they are coherent. So Korean dramas feature consistent themes and each episode is part of the entire drama, causing viewers to keep tuning in as they are anxious to watch the next episode." 

Lee said the genres and episodes of Korean TV series have diversified over the past decade and they have become competitive and creative. 

"There are two types of dramas, depending on how they are produced. Some dramas or reality programs are made in-house and some are made by independent TV production companies outside the television networks," he said. "Competition heats up between in-house television programs and dramas made by TV production companies to attract more viewers and this has led to the sophistication and creativity of TV series." 

The increased awareness of a TV series as an object entitled to intellectual property also plays a part behind the increasing export of TV formats. 

Cable networks, such as tvN and JTBC, outperformed national TV channels when it comes to deals signed to export TV programs. CJ E&M which owns dozens of cable networks including tvN, for example, exported two programs in 2015 and the number of TV format deals they signed with foreign buyers rose to 12 last year. 

Asked why cable network programs appeal more than mainstream ones to foreign broadcasters, an industry source said cable networks are desperate to survive the tough content competition and thus their decision-making process is less bureaucratic than that of major channels. 

"Our budget for TV series is tight, compared to that of major channels," he said asking for anonymity. "There is a sense of desperation within us because we, cable networks, are late entrants in the content business, so it is harder to win over major televisions. Before launching new programs, we have extensive brainstorming meetings where all people involved in TV programs are asked to join and present their ideas freely. Many fresh ideas and suggestions are presented there and we choose the best one that can appeal to viewers."

Jung Bup-mo, a professor at Pukyong National University in Busan, said Korean TV series are popular particularly in Southeast Asia maybe because of cultural similarities between Korea and those countries.

"In the Philippines, for example, people used to watch Mexican telenovelas before Korean dramas aired on local television. Korean dramas appeal to the viewers there. I heard Korean TV series strike a chord with Filipinos because they share Asian culture," he said. "Korean dramas are dubbed in the local language. There was a time when a Korean drama that had no interpretation aired in the Philippines and I was asked to explain what it was about. I heard from some local viewers they could understand what was going on even without my interpretation."

Jung stayed in the Philippines for 10 years for his doctoral degree and dissertation on the urban poor in the Metro Manila region. 

Film remakes have also increased lately. In some Southeast Asian countries, Korean film remakes are enjoying a boom. 

Three Korean films ― "Sunny" (2011), "Speed Scandal" (2008) and "My Sassy Girl" (2001) ― were remade in Vietnam and hit the big screens there. 

"Sunny" was remade as "Go Go Sisters" and "Speed Scandal" as "Scandal Maker." "Scandal Maker" has become a box-office hit since it opened on March 31. 

Korean film remakes have surged in Southeast Asia in recent years. 

According to Korean Film Council (KOFIC), Korea earned $1.49 million last year as film production companies of the two countries agreed on Korean film remakes, a 50.3 percent increase from the previous year. 

With a population of 100 million, Vietnam is one of the fastest-growing film markets in the world. About 41 million Vietnamese went to the movie houses last year. 

According to KOFIC, India is another emerging market for Korean films. Korea earned $97 million by selling intellectual property to filmmakers, tripling the previous year's sales. 

hkang@ktimes.com 

• 2 weeks later...

The Halbaes and their beloved porter are coming back, where will they go this time? :lol:

May 4, 2018

“Grandpas Over Flowers” Confirmed To Return With New Season

Source: Soompi by D. Kim

Grandpas-Over-Flowers.jpg

“Grandpas Over Flowers” is coming back!

On May 5, news outlet OSEN reported that producing director (PD) Na Young Suk is preparing a new season of “Grandpas Over Flowers.” Actor Lee Seo Jin will reportedly return as the porter, and original cast members Lee Soon Jae, Shin Goo, Park Geun Hyung, and Baek Il Sub are in talks to reappear as well.

In response to these reports, a source from tvN stated, “It’s true that PD Na Young Suk is planning a new season of ‘Grandpas Over Flowers,’ but we are still working out details regarding the cast members, filming schedule, and broadcast date.”

“Grandpas Over Flowers” premiered in July 2013 and has since released four seasons. The show follows four veteran actors, including Lee Soon Jae, Shin Goo, Park Geun Hyung, and Baek Il Sub, as they travel to different countries with Lee Seo Jin.

Would you like to see another season of “Grandpas Over Flowers”?

Source (1) (2)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

May 31, 2018

“Grandpas Over Flowers” Confirms Cast And Premiere Date For New Season

Source: Soompi by DY_Kim

Grandpas-Over-Flowers1.jpg

“Grandpas Over Flowers” is gearing up for its return!

It was announced earlier in the month that the popular variety program will be returning with a third season.

On May 31, tvN revealed, “The ‘Grandpas Over Flowers’ original members Lee Soon Jae, Shin Goo, Park Geun Hyung, Baek Il Sub, and Lee Seo Jin are confirmed to star on the new season.”

The travel destination and dates will be unveiled at a later time.

Following the conclusion of “Little House in the Forest,” the third season of “Grandpas Over Flowers” will premiere on June 29.

Source (1)

Now there are 5 halbaes vs 1 Seojinnie and this time they're in Germany! :lol:

June 6, 2018

'Grandpas over Flowers' returns with new grandpa 

7d58835681484eb4843948985bb5d2c6.jpg
The stars of "Grandpas over Flowers."/ Korea Times file

By Dong Sun-hwa The Korea Times

"Grandpas over Flowers," the reality TV show about fulfilling bucket lists, is back with a new grandpa. Korean actor Kim Yong-gun joined season 4 and flew to Germany with five other members on Monday. 

Kim is the father of well-known actor Ha Jung-woo, who has starred in many Korean blockbusters including "Along With the Gods." 

At 73, Kim will be the youngest of the show's stars. 

Original cast members Lee Soon-jae, Shin Goo, Park Geun-hyung, Baek Il-seob and Lee Seo-jin will feature with Kim. 

The previous season in 2015 had five members exploring Greece. 

After gaining popularity in Korea thanks to the distinctive characteristics of each cast member, tvN's hit reality show became the first Korean TV series to be adapted by NBC, the National Broadcasting Company of America. 

In the American version, "Better Late Than Never," four celebrities ― William Shatner, Henry Winkler, George Foreman and Terry Bradshaw ― tour Asia and Europe. 

The first episode of "Grandpas over Flowers Season 4" will air on June 29. 

sunhwadong@gmail.com 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived