• Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

congrats.gif

May 26, 2015

2015 51th PaekSang Arts Awards Winners in Drama and TV

Source: Hancinema.net

photo597541.jpg

Grand Prize (Daesang)

Na Young-seok ("Three Meals a Day" and "Grandpas Over Flowers")

Best Drama

"Heard It Through the Grapevine" (SBS)

Best Director

Kim Won-seok for "Incomplete Life" (tvN)

Best Leading Actor

Lee Sung-min for "Incomplete Life" (tvN)

Best Leading Actress

Song Yoon-ah for "Mama - Nothing to Fear" (MBC)

Best New Actor

Si Wan for "Incomplete Life" (tvN)

Best New Actress

Ko Ah-seong for "Heard It Through the Grapevine" (SBS)

Best Writing

Park Kyeong-soo for "Punch - Drama" (SBS)

iQiyi Stars

Lee Min-ho and Park Shin-hye

Most Popular Actress in a Drama

Krystal for "내겐 너무 사랑스러운 그녀" (SBS)

Most Popular Actor in a Drama

Lee Jong-suk for "Pinocchio" (SBS)

In TV

Best cultural program : "Food Odissey" (KBS)
Best variety program : "Non-Summit" (JTBC)
Best variety male performer : Jeon Hyeon-moo ("Non-Summit" JTBC, "I Live Alone" MBC)
Best variety female performer : Lee Guk-joo ("Roommate 2" SBS, "Comedy Big League" tvN)

June 12, 2015

Top 10 Most Influential People in Korean Entertainment Industry, as Voted by Professionals

Soompi

10-most-influential-kpop.png

Korean entertainment industry professionals have chosen the top ten most influential people in the industry.

News outlet Hankook Ilbo took a survey among 101 professionals associated with the entertainment industry for a list of the most influential individuals in the field.

Lee Soo Man, founder and producer of SM Entertainment, was voted as the most influential person in the industry, with a total of 678 points. YG Entertainment‘s Yang Hyun Suk came runner-up, with 672 points. Producer Na Young Suk, known for his recent variety hits like “Three Meals a Day” and “Gramps Over Flowers,” placed third on the list, with 571 points.

Actor Kim Soo Hyun was the only actor to make the top ten, placing fourth with 286 points, as industry insiders acknowledged his smashing success in China.

In fifth place was long-running variety program “Infinity Challenge” producer Kim Tae Ho. In sixth place was Vice President Lee Mi Kyung of conglomerate CJ Group. Kim Woo Taek, president of film production company NEW (“Miracle in Cell No.7,” “The Attorney”) placed seventh. President Kim Sung Soo of CJ E&M, CJ Group’s entertainment sector, ranked at eighth place.

Yoo Jae Suk was the highest-ranking comedian/TV personality as he placed ninth with 173 points. Screenwriter Park Ji Eun, responsible for dramas like “My Love from the Stars” and the latest “Producer” came in at tenth.

The pool of 101 industry insiders consulted included producers, entertainment/production company VP’s, music/film critics, and composers, among others.

Source: (1)

June 20, 2015

Star TV Producer Strikes Gold Again

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Any cooking show on TV risks drowning in a sea of similar programs, but star producer Na Young-seok has pulled it off once more. After the huge hit with travel reality show "Grandpas Over Flowers" on cable channel tvN, Na has struck gold again with "Three Meals," another reality show where celebrities stay in a remote countryside village and have to cook and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner on their own. 

"Many people ask me why 'Three Meals' is so popular. I'd like to ask you the same question, because I don't know," Na says. "The program was an ambitious and risky project that could have failed big time. All producers make shows hoping that they'll be successful, but I had very little confidence in 'Three Meals' when I started it."

"Entertainment programs need to be constantly fun, but the setting of 'Three Meals' lacks a lot of the usual ingredients for humor. It's just a handful of guests in a single location doing mundane things like people in the country do every day," -- growing vegetables and crops and fixing themselves something to eat.

"But we thought that is what differentiates this program from the rest. We thought it would be either a massive hit or a total failure. We wanted to make a program that doesn't make viewers laugh out loud the whole time but sometimes makes them smile."

2015062000449_1.jpg

Thankfully, Na's idea struck a chord. There seems to have been a hunger for something easy and relaxing.

"Timing is important in everything. Trends change over time but they exist at all times. I always liked cookery programs and wanted to make one myself, and then they became really fashionable," Na says. 

"But I thought cooking alone cannot make the program complete, so that's how I came up with the idea for 'Three Meals.' I think it's important to present ideas I have at the right time." 

Na always looks for subjects that appeal to as large an audience as possible. His motto is to find a universal theme and present it in an innovative way. "My two show series all are not unique in terms of themes -- travel and cooking, but I think that universality is what appeals to viewers."

Since he became a producer Na has made it a habit to watch people closely and imagine what they would do in certain situations. His job is to capture unexpected moments and present them on TV. He now enjoys the process thoroughly. 

"I don't know how long I can enjoy success in what I do. I'm not sure it'll last that long," he says. "I'm afraid of regretting not having done my best when I could. I don't want to regret not having done my best, not using up all of my talent. Of course I do get tired and frustrated at the overwhelming workload, but I also want to continue to work hard and do as much as I can."

• 1 month later...

July 25, 2015

Three Meals a Day's Lee Seo Jin and Choi Ji Woo, "Made in Greece' kitchen gloves... their private memories

Source: Star MBN via Hancinema.net

photo617162.jpg

On the tvN variety program "Three Meals a Day " which aired on the 24th, scenes of Lee Seo-jin, Taecyeon, and Kim Kwang-gyoo living in Jeongseon County were broadcast.  

The three are preparing to make a dish called "Kotdunchigi". Lee Seo-jin' took out some kitchen gloves while coming near the fire which Choi Ji-woo caught immediately.

Choi Ji-woo, with the expression of familiarity, asked "Isn't those gloves the ones you bought in Santorini?" The gloves Lee Seo-jin had on was purchased on a filming trip to Greece the two did for "Grandpas Over Flowers". 

• 4 weeks later...

August 20, 2015

Girls' Generation to make cameo on U.S. show

SEOUL, Aug. 20 (Yonhap) -- South Korean K-pop group Girls' Generation will play a cameo role in "Better Late Than Never," an upcoming travel reality show on American TV channel NBC, its management agency said Thursday.

The show, whose production began this month, will be headlined by five comedy big shots -- Jeff Dye, Henry Winkler, William Shatner, Terry Bradshaw and George Foreman. It is based on the South Korean hit reality series "Grandpas Over Flowers, in which prominent has-beens, including actor Lee Soon-jae, embark on adventures in foreign countries. Its American doppelganger is expected to make stops in several Asian cities, including Seoul, according to its producers.

The eight-member girl group will film its part at the SMTOWN@coexartium in southern Seoul this weekend, S.M. Entertainment said.

The group earlier made history by becoming the first South Korean singers to appear on the esteemed "The Late Show with David Letterman" in 2012.

They are currently promoting their fifth album, "Lion Heart," which was released Tuesday.

AEN20150820003900315_01_i.jpg

The CD jacket of "Lion Heart," the fifth album by the South Korean K-pop group Girls' Generation (Yonhap) The CD jacket of "Lion Heart," the fifth album by the South Korean K-pop group Girls' Generation (Yonhap)

sojungpark@yna.co.kr

August 19, 2015

NBC’s Version of “Grandpas Over Flowers” With William Shatner and Henry Winkler to Film in Korea

Soompi

Grandpas-Over-Flowers-3.jpg

American network NBC‘s new travel reality show “Better Late Than Never” is heading to Korea soon!

“Better Late Than Never” is based off the format of tvN‘s popular travel show “Grandpas Over Flowers,” which NBC bought the rights to last fall. The original show was led by renowned PD Na Young Suk, and featured four veteran actors (Lee Soon Jae, Shin Goo, Park Geun Hyung, and Baek Il Sub) traveling across Europe. They were accompanied by a younger actor, Lee Seo Jin, who acted as their driver, cook, and baggage boy.

The American version stars actors Henry Winkler and William Shatner, boxing champion George Foreman, and sports commentator Terry Bradshaw. Comedian Jeff Dye will be acting as their young porter as the group travels around Asia to check items off their personal bucket lists.

“Better Late Than Never” is heading to Korea on August 20, and will be filming in Korea for three days starting on August 22 at the Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon. They’ll then be exploring other tourist sites in the country.

Do you think the “Grandpas Over Flowers” format will be a hit in the United States?

Source (1)

Curious about the US version though I'm sure it will have a very different feel to it as these guys are well travelled (maybe not in Korea though, I'm not sure), and are not necessarily friends . Good luck to their porter! William Shatner is not the easiest companion I would imagine.

Archived