[Drama 2013/2014] King's Daughter, Soo Baek Hyang 제왕의 딸, 수백향

pangia

It’s the next episode and my link is still acting up, persevered.  Letting you know that for each new page the key will be placed.  Reason, it can be annoying as a reader to read a recap not truly understanding the who is being discussed and having to go back to the previous page to get what/who the writer means.  We live in an abbreviated society, sometimes it helps when we see the meaning first.  

The key is as follows: Soo Baek Hyang (SBH), Crown Prince (MN), Seolnan (SN), Seolhi (SH), Grand Marshal (GM), Jinmu (JM),  fake name for  SH as a princess  SH/ “SBH”  or “SBH”. So lets’ get on with the recap.  

Episode 24

MN sees SN and recognizes her from their 1st visit.  He first rejected her help and then accepts it. SN pulls him up, they lie down, she explains to him that she was not mad and why she did that.  The guards came by the prince and put a sword to SN’s neck, MN orders them to put it away that she saved his life.  SN gets up and accidentally pulls the shirt of one of the guards, on his chest was the tapir tattoo which identifies him as one of Baekjae’s special spies.  SN took the meat from the men and left on her way she remember the conversation that she overheard when working at the restaurant as to the special spies and how they are recognized.  During this time SH is at the palace, she was summoned by the queen who welcomed her, gave her a personal maid and new clothes.  SH is now dressed as a “princess”, she asks questions about the people of the palace, and her thoughts were of the queen.    SN returns later revealing who they are, identifying the spy, MN tells her who he is.  I think she asks to become one of them in order to get revenge for her family/ help (not so sure here).  At this time the hapless robbers had followed her, they got caught by MN’s guards while SN was telling her story to the prince etal.  They ask her to help them, she says she does not know who they are (it was funny).  Later that night SN asks to become one of them again, MN decides to test her by making her go into the bandits lair alone to get information.  The guards and hapless robbers (need their names please, looks like SN’s future partners in crime) asks MN why he did that and that it was dangerous to do so.  MN said something about SN’s character.  It ends with SN’s being the bandits lair, the preview shows how she dealt with it and SH/JM somewhat recognizing each other.

Until next episode.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SN don't ask to join the secret spies group 'Bi Moon" but she's asking in exchange of the favor (of saving MN) to "borrow" the two spies's skills. When she was working fo the aunty, she heard the rumor about the spies chasing and catching the koguryo's spy after 10 years. They are surprised because she knows about Bi Moon and their tattoo... Later, she asked for the second time that the prince lends them to her in order to find SH (saying that she never could find SH in her life). He have to refuse because they are to serve only the king and Baekje but if she was part of Bi Moon, she could find her sister (her comedian skills fooled him and he was impressed). So he threw her a trial  to be accepted in Bi Moon. The older ex-brigand find the task too vile for the girl (she could die) and the prince added that Bi Moon didn't need her if she can't come back alive...(the prince is too much serious in his role... I hope he will be softened by SN. They are very alike ( episode 22: the prince's desire is for the king to smile ! Isn't it just like SN and her desire to see her family smiling ?!).

@araminta
Of course the Crown Prince Myeong Nong has to be serious in his role as spy master. Spying is serious business, and he has to teach this lesson to Seolnan. Spies who make mistakes die, as we have been shown in episodes 10 and 11 when Myeong Nong dealt with the traitor Polgum and the Koguryo spy Jin/Wagung.  And dead spies are of no use to their masters or their own selves.
Based on Myeong Nong's character description, he will fall in love with Seolnan.  But even then, he has to be more strict/serious with her, rather than be soft with her.  Teaching her all the right skills as a spy will ensure that she will be able to come back to Baekje (and to him) alive.  
As viewers we know that Seolnan already has the makings of a good spy.  She is courageous, resourceful, thinks fast on her feet, and can function even under dire circumstances, but Myeong Nong doesn't know her full character yet.  His knowledge of her character is just based on their 2 encounters.  He isn't aware of Seolnan's actions during the massacre.
Before Myeong Nong can accept her into Baekje's spy organization, he has to make sure that Seolnan really has what it takes to be a spy, and that her resourcefulness during their 2 encounters is not just a fluke or good luck.
A spy master who goes soft on his/her agents should be removed from his/her job.  Going soft on his/her agents could result in their death (not just 1 spy, but could be a network of spies) and could put the mission in jeopardy.
But I do agree with your assessment that Myeong Nong and Seolnan are so much alike in that their love for their family is paramount in their lives. both of them will do anything to keep their family happy.  Both Myeong Nong and Seolnan are the "enablers" and the "saviours" in their respective families.
Another trait Myeong Nong and Seolnan have in common is their determination/persistence.  Based on my understanding, Myeong Nong worked for 5 years to uncover the Koguryo spy (please correct me if I am wrong).  Despite the length of time, he worked at it, didn't lose focus until he solved that problem. Seolnan is as determined as well.  Despite her limited resources she intends to find out who are responsible for the death of her parents and neighbours, and who kidnapped Seolhee.  This trait will serve them well as members of a spy organization.  
In one of the episodes, a man scoffed at the length of time Baekje uncovered the Koguryo spy (5 years?).  All I can say about that is in modern times despite all the gadgets and modern technology to help spies, sometimes it still takes them years to solve a certain issue.  What more in ancient times when spies don't have these modern technology to help them in their spy work?
Additonal character names:
older ex bandit = Ttoldae younger ex bandit = Manggu/Wanggu 
Based on character description, these 2 ex bandits will become Bi Moon spies as well.

This is the 3rd day my link acts up, plus the alternates are not working so well either.  Therefore, in the future depending on the behaviour of the link I may not be able to give you the ‘timely’ recap as I wanted.  However, I will download later and still give the recap, just remember it’s just my basic understanding of the episode.  Thanks araminta and prissymom for the information on episode 24 and names of our hapless robbers (Toldae & Manggu/Wanggu).

The key is as follows: Soo Baek Hyang (SBH), Crown Prince (MN), Seolnan (SN), Seolhi (SH), Grand Marshal (GM), Jinmu (JM),  fake name for  SH  SH/ “SBH”  or “SBH”, Toldae – TLD, Manggu – MGG, BI Moon (spy unit) –BM .  Recap time.  

Episode 25

MN gives SN a test to that will let her join BM, she goes into the bandits’ lair and is put in a cell along with the mother and daughter who is a bit ill.  TLD & MGG worries about SN’s safety to which MN responded to, the guards are also worried about her.  SN asks the mother about SH to which she said that she did not see her as well as the fate of the women who become prisoners there which is pretty bad.  The bandit leader arrives at the lair; he is drunk and goes to the cell to pick a female for questionable purposes.  He first picked the daughter to which the mother’s response was to offer up SN instead.  She apologizes to SN for her action, SN notices the behavior of the leader and asks the mother for some clues on the leader.  She is taken to the leader’s room where he orders her to serve him drinks, SN observes the structure of the hut & is planning a way out, she sees the leader’s sword and appears to go for it.  This did not miss the notice of the leader; SN tricks the leader into showing his strength by striking the sword on the wall which collapses the hut with him. SN escapes but not without taking the money and rescuing the mother and daughter.  During this time SH meets the queen who introduces her to JM, JM compliments the queen who smiles, he later leaves SH & queen.  JM then says something about his plans for SH to which the aide is against.  SH goes back to her room and receives more information about the palace from her maid.  The king tries to go to SH’s room but changes his mind and leaves.  The next morning MN, his guards and TLD & MGG are ready to leave believing that SN has failed.  The scene ends with SN’s return with the money.   The preview shows SN and crew coming to Baekjae. 

Until the next episode, take care everyone.

Guest texashot

chasen8888 said:

This is the 3rd day my link acts up, plus the alternates are not working so well either.  Therefore, in the future depending on the behaviour of the link I may not be able to give you the ‘timely’ recap as I wanted.  However, I will download later and still give the recap, just remember it’s just my basic understanding of the episode.  Thanks araminta and prissymom for the information on episode 24 and names of our hapless robbers (Toldae & Manggu/Wanggu).

Thank you so much for the recap.

The key is as follows: Soo Baek Hyang (SBH), Crown Prince (MN), Seolnan (SN), Seolhi (SH), Grand Marshal (GM), Jinmu (JM),  fake name for  SH  SH/ “SBH”  or “SBH”, Toldae – TLD, Manggu – MGG, BI Moon (spy unit) –BM .  Recap time.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Episode 25

MN gives SN a test to that will let her join BM, she goes into the bandits’ lair and is put in a cell along with the mother and daughter who is a bit ill.  TLD & MGG worries about SN’s safety to which MN responded to, the guards are also worried about her.  SN asks the mother about SH to which she said that she did not see her as well as the fate of the women who become prisoners there which is pretty bad.  The bandit leader arrives at the lair; he is drunk and goes to the cell to pick a female for questionable purposes.  He first picked the daughter to which the mother’s response was to offer up SN instead.  She apologizes to SN for her action, SN notices the behavior of the leader and asks the mother for some clues on the leader.  She is taken to the leader’s room where he orders her to serve him drinks, SN observes the structure of the hut & is planning a way out, she sees the leader’s sword and appears to go for it.  This did not miss the notice of the leader; SN tricks the leader into showing his strength by striking the sword on the wall which collapses the hut with him. SN escapes but not without taking the money and rescuing the mother and daughter.  During this time SH meets the queen who introduces her to JM, JM compliments the queen who smiles, he later leaves SH & queen.  JM then says something about his plans for SH to which the aide is against.  SH goes back to her room and receives more information about the palace from her maid.  The king tries to go to SH’s room but changes his mind and leaves.  The next morning MN, his guards and TLD & MGG are ready to leave believing that SN has failed.  The scene ends with SN’s return with the money.   The preview shows SN and crew coming to Baekjae. 

Until the next episode, take care everyone.

Better late than never is an apt saying for this.  We have a new team member for team SN and that is the restaurant owner, she has the hots’ for TLD, makes the best soup that MN has ever tasted and leaves Gaya with them for Baekjae.  Her initials not knowing her name will be SL for soup lady.

Other – for those who have watched Horse Doctor, one of the guards for MN was actually the bodyguard for a fave/fun princess Suki who was so crushing on the Horse Doctor, he was funny and memorable in his job to protect her.

Episode 26 Recap

SN returns to MN’s camp in time with the grain/money (not sure) therefore earning the admiration of all.  She is upset with MN, eats and gets MN’s agreement to be part of BM & go to Baekjae with them.  On their way one of the guards asks MN is reason/plans for accepting SN – MN says something smart (need subs for this).  TLD & MGG try to get SN to go with her to Baekjae (I think).  SN asks MN for them to stop by SL place before they leave Gaya.  At the restaurant, business is not so well for SL she sees SN who tells her of her plans.  Once SL sees TLD she starts flirting (MN mistakes that these compliments are for him) and makes a beeline for TLD, now getting MGG upset/jealous.  As it appears that the BFF/partners is likely to be broken due to SL, there are scenes of MGG running interference with the couple in the episode because of it.  All sat down to eat with SL & TLD acting a bit close, MN receiving his food separately (picky) he sees everyone eating soup and wants some but acting like he doesn't (funny scene).  SN gives him the soup, and the bowl gets empty.  As they were leaving MN wants to take SL with them to Baekjae because of the soup, saying to his bodyguard that it won’t be the same if  someone else made it.  MN’s bodyguard convinces the SL to come with SN to Baekjae, also TLD & MGG are going with them.  SN is a bit overwrought with missing SH, crying a lot etc. on her way to & in Baekjae it makes me very angry & a bit hurt with seeing this considering how SH has treated SN.  Girl you sister do not deserves your tears or love or sympathy so please stop bawling. It’s the one trait I dislike about SN (its good yet its bad) considering how evil SH is – you in her mind and heart is already dead.

In Baekjae, SH personal maid convinces her to see the queen, she does go however on her way she notices the king, queen and then the GM. She finds out that the queen is the GM's daughter, knows that GM has doubts about her and is cautious so she changes her mind in seeing the queen.  JM visits SH and offers his help in getting her to see the king.  JM convinces the king to go on a walk at night; JM’s aide does not like the fact that he is helping SH.  SH uses her mother hairpin and song walks in the garden (what a gal tief!!). The king hears the song, sees Chae Hwa and approaches her.  At this time MN, SN and crew have arrived in Baekjae.  Preview has SH saying to herself that she is scared. 

Take care everyone.

Guest canhnhuoctran

thank you for the recaps!!! really enjoy the current episodes :) I think SN's love for SH is difficult to understand. She saved SH from snake when she was little and then from falling without a care for herself. She easily forget and forgive SH for her betrayal when saw the ex-bandits too. Its clear that in SN's heart, SH means a lot, a treasure to protect even with her life it seems. Thus, I think she would give up her identity for SH, had SH not go to the extend of betraying her own country like it's translated in the first episode.I just feel bad 'cause I heard that SN-MN love would be a sad one, surely because of all the identity-switching but wonder if we would have happy ending… since they are cousins after all unless MN is adopted :)

The name of MN’s bodyguard is Khobak (KBK).  This week was the end of the Gaya arc with all parties now in Baekjae. Team SN – TLD, MGG, SL; royal team – MN , KBK  & BM’s guards. 

Other - can someone please help me as to how to end the spoiler's.  Its not all the time I want everything to be in there. [end spoiler]  tried that does not work. No offense soompi but sometimes I miss the old features you had, preview , spoiler symbol they do help. It reminds me of yahoo who keeps making updates to their mail features when to me the previous one was just fine and now you have to have a new learning curve its frustrating. Not saying nay to new but sometimes the old was fine/even better.

Episode 27 Recap

While walking on the palace grounds the king hears the song, sees Chae Hwa and approaches her, with memories and sadness coming from him.  As he approaches SH/”SBH” looks at him, he realizes his mistake and turns back.  JM praises SH/”SBH”, who is suspicious of his help, he said something of their past encounter that has her radar up.  SH/”SBH”  goes to her room and remembers who he is, she starts getting hiccups and thinks about her sister protecting her the last time when that happened and says that she is scared.  The king’s aide asks him why he refuses to see SH/”SBH”, his response was to ask for MN. MN and crew arrive and meet GM who sees them but it’s more of a glance at the parties asking who they were.  MN instructs that the SL goes somewhere with the other parties. KBK gives TLD & MGG some money which was accepted and they were getting ready to leave much to the sadness of SL/TLD.  However, that decision was changed when offered to join BM with SN.  In MN’s earlier conversation with KBK & team, his plans were for them to join SN as her support.  SN, TLD & MGG are sent to a different room.

MN meets the king and told him of his suspicions to Chae Hwa’s death, he also explained bringing some persons with him.  MN, I believe convinces the king to invest in SH/”SBH” as the princess of Baekjae. Later the GM visits MN and asks why he did that – MN reason was for the welfare of the king.  The GM still has doubts as to SH/”SBH” true identity, his instincts is leaning toward SN but since he does not know what has happened to her, he let the case rest for now.  JM’s aide is still upset with him in siding with SH/”SBH”, JM’s spy/guard told him of MN’s conversation with the king.  JMs’ intelligence is shown right here with how he was able to determine his move stating to the aide that is why he needs SH/”SBH” for now. 

The next day, SH/”SBH” gets ready to leave, is summoned by the king and is invested as Baekjae’s princess.  The GM is thinking about SN, he talks to a fellow councilor who is happy for the king.  We now get a comparison of the 2 sisters’ new lives. 

SH/”SBH” – gets the clothes, treatment of royalty and the love of king/father.

SN, TLD & MGG – goes to a BM’s facility and meets the head trainer there.  He tells them some nice things about BM and gets their hopes up. However, they are led to the training grounds where they have to do fighting in order to get something.  It’s a rousers fest with the team getting beat up. MN comes by the training ground and watches the proceedings.

Preview shows the start of the BM’s training arc and princess arc.  

My thoughts

What this week’s episodes revealed was SN’s potential as a spy which was seen by MN after she saved him.  As well as MN’s ability to assess people and make them into his own which shows his decision making talents and king’s  suitability.  SL, TLD & MGG are there to be SN’s support as well as be a bit of light-heart fodder for a show which if not careful can become too serious with the palace/royal mechanics and SN’s life.

This show also makes us more aware of JM’s intelligence, he ‘knows’ MN well and that he is a player in this ‘game’.  He has slowed down his anxiousness in going after the king after learning in Gaya.  SH/”SBH” knows the seriousness of her duplicity & is being aware as to who is who in the palace.  Until the king invested in her as Baekjae’s princess she was not comfortable, but though it has happened that does not mean that she will stop being cautious.

SN has also shown her emotions in terms of her agape (endless love) for her sister, willing to do just about anything to get her back. Sad but true, but when you think about it to her SH is the only family that she has left &  her promise to mom therefore she must by all means get her back.  This is what MN admires about her and will use as a weapon/motivational tool in her membership in BM.

Until next time and have a good weekend everyone.

Guest Rinachan

Thanks for all the recaps !! :)

I admire SH's courage. She will do anything to become a spy and use The Band to find her sister. I understand MN's coldness toward SH. SHe has to become stronger to be useful. He can't be soft to her. He knows she can be a trustful and strong spy. He has high expectations for her. I love his smile when he looked at her.

Now, SH will be the princess she always wanted to be. She's very shameless.
She plays her role and she will convinced herself she's the real daughter of the king.

Archived