[Drama 2013/2014] King's Daughter, Soo Baek Hyang 제왕의 딸, 수백향

pangia

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This weekend gave me a bit food for thought especially when it comes to technology.  My internet and phone was acting up, so I had to report it to the providers.  Imagine the close to panic attack when told that the problem will not be able to be addressed until this Wednesday.  As one who prefers using the internet over the phone that isn’t good, as a recapper its worse. As right then and there you wonder what are you going to do to satisfy your needs as well as well those waits for the recaps to tide them over.  Plan A, B & C starts to form in your mind especially taking the time factor into consideration. The good news, surprisingly after the call, the internet was up, the phone not (have cell can live).

Prior to recap

I just realized something.  The SL though will be MN’s personal cook (I think), she is in a fairly good strategic location and that is the palace where the opportunity of seeing SH though slim is possible. SL may have the freedom to move on the palace grounds therefore able to see and learn, plus using her experience from Gaya will be useful in the future for team SN & maybe MN.  As SN team is undergoing BM’s training , the SL will be adjusting to life in the Baekjae palace.  In addition, SN will never at this time think that SH would be in Baekjae.  The good thing is that all these parties are aware of the devotion and love that she has for SH so when the truth really hits the fan (long time coming), they will all be more than justifiable crazy on SN’s behalf. On with the recap.

Episode 28

SH is given her own quarters specially prepared by the queen.  She also receives the benefits associated with being Baekjae’s princess. SN & team on the other hand is not having a good 1st day, as the training consists of the following – musical flags to get a meal – where there is a limited number of flags only those who have one gets fed TLD was successful, running on the grounds and exercise when the door closes only those who gets through gets to sleep in the rooms, the others on their own under the elements (1st night rain), TLD & MGG got through that night.  At meal time TLD had sneaked a food and later gave it to MGG.  MN and team see this.  The 2nd day was mostly a repeat of the first for SN, while running that night the training chief said something to SN, she made it through to get sleep that night.  Team SN wakes up very early that morning eg 1-2 am with SN very hungry, saying she is not leaving, TLD agreed , MGG got up to go but returned. SN had a nightmare about SH which only enforced her determination.  The following day, SN was the 1st one sitting by the flag basically showing the determination; she beat up some guys and got the flag.  From then on team SN became stronger which earned the admiration of team MN & training chief.  During this training, some of the trainees possible BM’s left the training which is hellish to say the least so the size reduced.

At the palace the king made a decision about SH/”SBH” in which JM’s aide is against and he protested to the king,  he spoke to his associate about this. The queen chief personal maid sees SH/”SBH” and tries to discourage the queen from getting close to her (she does not trust SH/”SBH”). The queen’s mother visited her and they have a close moment it seems that the mother is ill, the mother spoke to the chief personal maid asking her to guide her daughter, the lady mentions her concerns about SH/”SBH” to her.  It appears that she was the mother’s maid prior to going to the palace to assist the daughter.  JM meets SH/”SBH” and mentions to her their first visit, she acts arrogant to him and denies it etc.  There was a meeting of the queen and some court/councilor ladies with SH/”SBH” in attendance upon her departure, they said some negative things about her which was overheard by the king and her.  The king announced his presence and defended SH/”SBH”.

The show ends with a very old lady trying to enter the palace premises but being denied the  queens mother and maid try to dissuade her from coming.  The lady seem to have the sight and said some things about SN, SH, MN, JM & Baekjae.

Got to rush and take care.

Seolhui was presenting, for now, a lying but somehow still innocent character. The mistrust of the Head Marchal Hae, the Queen's attendant and the warning from the seed made it looks like she's gonna really turn vicious. Poor Jinmu (we know how he will end in the first episode, if not dead, gravely wounded by his own sister) was looking pitiful and the king is definitely responsable for his choice of path ( trusting too much the king relative with his own son...will lead them to violate the heaven morale law). There is too much circonstance which makes this drama so dramatic (at every angle, you find a guilty one whose make another one guilty: like Marchal Hae whose responsable for Chaehwa's tragedy and thus Solnan's one...). It's like Heaven playing with our characters. 

I'm completely obsessed with this drama and i'm glad they brought a seed ! She can bring out the generals line of the drama and future conflicts. Well, do you think the woman spy whose they talked about in today episode is Solnan's future master ? She is the last important character to be sort out.

New page = updated key:

Soo Baek Hyang (SBH), Crown Prince (MN), Seolnan (SN), Seolhi (SH), Grand Marshal (GM), Jinmu (JM),  fake name for  SH  SH/ “SBH”  or “SBH”, Toldae – TLD, Manggu – MGG, BI Moon (spy unit), SL – Soup Lady, Khobak - KBK –BM .  

Do admit when downloading it & later watching, able to give much better recaps compared to going live especially with the iffy live streaming of late.  Able to pick up scenes missed & give better details. One thing is very clear i.e. SN is a crier but its more because she feels a lot especially for those she cares deeply for/loves. After that she is fine. Recap time. 

Episode 29

The scene opens with the seer’s dire prediction of SN, SH, MN & JM each living their own lives that night.  SN training, SH looking at a special globe, MN playing a game with the king and JM playing a game alone (it’s a sad & lonely scene with JM). 

The next day is training as usual for team SN, they take a break TLD uses that time to visit SL, they talk a little and she gave him some food & her name (until subs comes out I’ll stick with SL, she looks pretty in her new clothes by the way a bit younger), he later goes back to training with the rest.  SN is reaching her breaking point in terms of exhaustion, there is another break and she sees her mother who helps & asks for SH , SN cries feeling guilt over ‘ losing’ SH.  The training chief is talking one on one with SN team making assessments of their characters.  He discusses them with MN & KBK eating some nuts/beans dropping the pieces on the table which is annoying the bits out of MN.  SN team is training again, this time they are fighting the BM’s guards who have good martial arts skills, so they are losing.  SN collapses and the training is stopped.  MN seeing this quickly runs to her, holds her & demands for a doctor.  However, MN’s behavior to SN is noticed by the training chief, TLD & MGG.  Later when SN wakes up TLD asks SN about her relationship with MN, MGG tells her what happened when she collapsed what was MN’s response.   TLD & MGG tells her that it’s possible that MN has feelings for her/teasing her.  MN comes to the room to see her, he basically kicks TLD & MGG out, TLD takes KBK to leave them alone.  MN checks her temperature by touching her forehead says she is better and to rest, he leaves (he is trying to be cool here, when he was worried to bits).  SN thinks about what happened earlier & blushes with her wayward thoughts, TLD/MGG asks about earlier they are teasing her on MN. Its’ a funny conversation with SN team, she is remembering her boyfriend from Gaya & cries, the guys went to sleep.  MN later tells the training chief to give the trainees chicken to eat, when they saw the meat they can’t believe it but they dig in, MN sees SN eating happily so he is happy.

Its’ palace time, SH is in the library happily picking books, the maid said it’s the 1st time she sees a woman so interested in books. She mentions her mother to the maid, & thinks about what she is going to do; they go somewhere else where JM’s aide is loudly protesting against her to the king. JM comes to him and whispers that they can only live if they side with SH, the aide still protests.  SH goes to a room where there portraits of the past kings of Baekjae, JM stops by and tells her about his ‘father’ etc.

It is court time where they are discussing matters of the country/state, MN is by the king side and it appears that his decisions are smart ones.  In midpoint of this discussion we hear the GM’s thoughts about the king and its’ time for him to leave as he feels the country is now safe/stable with the king & MN.  The king & MN are having a pleasant talk, the king is resting and his aide is talking to him, he asks the king about his earlier decision of switching MN & JM. The king said something, dismisses the aide, we hear his thoughts as to that past decision. Ends with the king waking up to Chae Hwa’s voice saying its morning, he’s to wake up.  Preview shows the SH meetings with both MN & JM.  SN training and the seer visits the king with her prediction asking why he did something.   Gone for now, until next episode.

After watching the 30th episode, you can figure out how every character is pitiful in its way. Ok, the king explains how happy he is about his choice (the xchange of the boys) because he was afraid to have to kill the son of the last king (possible revolt, suspicious, the ministers pression.A lot of King had to kill threat to their reign and not with joice). And here, he could have protect the two of them. Pitiful guy, he did'nt just change their body but fate too. I like the king but i think that he is the only one whose is responsable for the sorry way his fate took (well i'm mad at him because he was suffering about his choice and lives in regrets). Plus, he saddened MN all his life in making him feel his favoritism over JM (not purposely but still). And well, no one can ignore that JM is the most pitiful of all (the last episode made it clear).
SH is still a child in my mind so her selfishness is not so outrageous (well, i'm a big sister, so i know how everything your younger sibling does cannot be bad in some way.). Strangely, i feel the less sorry for SN, probably because she is the stronger in character and still optimistic. She's indeed suffering but such don't shadow her cheerfulness. I love how every tragedy reveals her strong character !

Most of todays’ episode was in the palace maybe that explains why I’m unable to download the show at my usual spots.  If anyone knows a new one, please pm me, thanks in advance for the link. Thanks for the link prissymom which allows us to watch un-subbed. Welcome tulip06, all SBH addicts are welcomed here, have fun with us. Recap time.

Episode 30

The king reflects on his decision to ‘switch’ the boys, think he is saying it was the best way to save both of them.  He sleeps & is dreaming of a happy life with Chae Hwa & their children. He wakes up to the sound of his aide, SH picks flowers & goes to him (being the good daughter here), they have a somewhat pleasant conversation. SH reflects on her meeting with the king.  MN meets with SH, pleasant conversation 2, she thinks about the negative talks about her says she is fine, MN offers to grant her a favour, she states it.  The queen’s mother brings the seer to the queen; she says that she is concerned based on what the seer says. The queen is doubtful as the seer’s behavior was a bit eccentric; seer later says something to the queen that makes her believe her.  The king stops by & sees the seer, the queen explain who she is, king decides to humor her but was not receiving an immediate response, seer says something which made him think & upsets the aide, the king leaves & asks for JM. The queen’s mother is leaving the palace with the seer, while leaving the seer has a strong bad premonition, SH passes by & the seer identifies her as the cause of the demise, however the other ladies did not see her, they quickly left.

Later that night the wife told GM of the day’s events & what the seer said. The GM starts to think on those words.  Its another day of training for team SN, they are eating & talking. It seems that another new element of training is going to be given.  The councilors are meeting and discussing SH/”SBH”, JM’s aide is negative as usual, GM says something to him, the aide goes to see JM his guard tells him that he is somewhere else, he leaves upset.  JM is by the past kings portraits, looking at them, he sees SH/”SBH”, talks to her, asks if he resembles his father, she disagrees walks toward the current king’s portrait, she trips the portrait drops and is damaged.  She panics, during this time the king is on his way to see JM, the seer’s dire prediction/saying is narrating his walk towards JM. It ends with JM & SH /”SBH”, implicating the prediction & possible attraction between them. 

It appears that there is going to be a trend here and that is everyone takes care/the blame for  SH /”SBH”, no wonder she will be able to get away with 'future crimes committed', there is always a fall person for her. SHE WILL NEVER IN HER EYES BE AT FAULT BECAUSE OF THIS & as such the poison grows.

Until next episode.

I just saw this posted on JHJ's Chinese Baidu Bar.  This actress plays Seolhee's maid right now, but it seems she is also a member of Bi Moon.  She is the female Bi Moon that the training officer mentioned in one of the episodes.   Her character name is Na Eun.  
9b6b24a4462309f79ba8c00b700e0cf3d6cad681

Guest Rinachan

prissymom said: I just saw this posted on JHJ's Chinese Baidu Bar.  This actress plays Seolhee's maid right now, but it seems she is also a member of Bi Moon.  She is the female Bi Moon that the training officer mentioned in one of the episodes.   Her character name is Na Eun.  
9b6b24a4462309f79ba8c00b700e0cf3d6cad681

Archived